Metal Storm logo
Your personal Top10 Metal Songs

14.08.2006 - 14:24
marinBG

Well, I think it would be cool if everyone had the chance to post their most favourite 10 metal songs. To keep it deverse - one song per artist. Also don't forget to include explanaitions for the songs you chose...

so here is mine (at least at the moment):

1. Children Of Bodom - Bodom After Midnight
This is the most difficult pick ever - I simply cannot pick my favourite COB song, since this is my alltime favourite band. I love the dynamics, I love the feeling, I love the vocals, I love the technicallity and I love the writing... for this is just the perfect music. Even the new album that tends to be a little bit new just plainly makes me happy when I hear it. Great stuff!

2. Lacuna Coil - Haeven's a lie
I love Lacuna Coil. And especially the more powerfull and catchy songs. For me Heaven's a lie is the anthem of a particular approach to metal that I hope will develom more and more. It has some great melodies, an amazing chorus and some great keyboards samples that simply make the music much more colorful and interesting at least for me (I play keyboards )

3. SlipKnot - My Plague (yes, I consider this metal)
Well, for me this song combines the two post difficult things to put together in metal. Melody and brutallity. I really like catchy stuff and the chorus is both vigourus, catchy and of course melodic. While the verse retains a very cool agressive brutal feel. And the nicest part of all it that the brutallity and the catchyness can ve felt troughout the whole song. Btw, I prefer the shorter version cause it's more to the point and more in your face basicly. And it's more radio-friendly as much as a song with growling in the verse can be and there's something I would like to note about SlipKnot's stuff. I don't think they are that untrue, because they are heavy as f**k. Actually it's most probably the heaviest and most agressive band on my list.

4. In Flames - Only for the weak
In Flames for me are just an awesome band and Clayman is one of my favourite albums ever (top 5 materisal basicly). An Only For The Weak is one of the coolest songs on the album. I'm not the biggest fan of the new In Flames stuff, but Clayman for me will probably always be the best gothenburg or melodic death metal (whatever you call it) albums ever. It is catchy, it is heavy, it has crunching guitar leads. What else could you possible want?

5. Metallica - One
Do I really need to explain. I love almost eveything about that song, from the music trough the inspiration for it to the story of it. For me it signifies the entrace of metal into the mainstream which for me is a cool thing. I think the more metal spreads the better. I would be gladly watching all of the bands on this list on MTV and reading how they earn tons of money, cause I belive they all (and not only them) deserve it more than Breatney Spears or Backstreet Boys. And there's something more. And aslo the music is so great. The verses are so emotional and well written... and the ending part just freakin kicks ass!!! Again, a great song combining emotions, bisicly lyrical music with really heavy stuff. Also this is probably the only Metallica solo (Kirk is one of the weakest guitarists ever!!!) that I really dig (may be also Nothing Else Matters), cause no matter that it's not so virtuoso it's just really well written. I also chose this song cause I wanted to have Metallica on the list and I was wandering what to choose. Cause they have both heavy songs and ballads. And both rock. So I picked One also beacause it fully represents them at their best (not like St.Anger which sucked)

6. Crematory - The Fallen
Just a perfect song. Nothig else to say Very cool keyboard melody. Great overall feel. Cool Melodic Verse and a really killer Chorus. That's it. And a cool tempo. I really dig this type of songs.

7. Amorphis - Crimson Wave
Another unique song. The whole album Am Universum for a very long time was one of my favourites. Some really catchy stuff on there. And in this particular song the thing that is sung over the opening riff (a bridge or a chorus probably... I don't really know with this a bit strange song structure) just makes me wanna jump around and headbang. And in addition to all the musical quality in this song, I also have some plainly personal reasons to love it

8. Nightwish - She is my sin
Well, we just need one more Finnish band in that list, huh I generally do not dig so much most of the stuff Nightwish do, but some of their songs are really really cool. And the coolest of them all is She is my sin. This song also helped me alongside Children Of Bodom to turn my mother into a metal aprechiator I really love the keyboards and the melody in this song. It just creates a great great feel for me. I like every single note that's in it and that is a very rare thing to happen with me. Especially with a song by Nightwish, cause didn't really like (and still don't) Tarja. No need to say that I was very happy when they kicked her out. I hope they find a singer that is not so operaic, so they can appeal to a larger audience and double the success they had with Once (which for me is thier strongest effort by far... it's just much more agressive and catchy than the older stuff.)

9. Soulfly - Seekin' Strike
Max Cavalera for me is among the greatest man of metal. Basicly godlike, despite the bunch of not so good songs he's done also especialy with Prophecy for example.. I love the way he writes his music and I really love his vocals. And this particular song just makes me wanna headbang and mosh in the most brutal pit possible.

10. Sepultura - Refuse/Resist
Well, the old Sepultura. What can you say... for me they are
a legend. And as I mentioned before Max is almost a God... And for me personally this is maybe thier coolest song (among others). I really dig everything about it, which all comes down to sheer brutallity. I love the mosh vibe Sepultura have to all thier stuff (I'm talking about the old Sepultura... I wouldn't mosh on Bullet the blue sky for example unless I really have to ). And also this is again a pretty personal song for me especially with the momorry of singing in on stage (on a totally inapropriate for that one) and scarying some jazz lovers and musicians out of the hall (yep, as I said, I generally play keyboards, but when my band needs someone to grawl it's usually me + Refuse/Resist doesn't really need keyboards anyway)
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
15.08.2006 - 06:44
Daru Jericho

Interesting to read the other ones. Lists like these are so hard to pull off that I'm not going to do of all time but my current faovurites instead:

1. Satyricon ~ K.I.N.G. -- Saw the video recently on TV and it forced me to listen to their latest album again. I got addicted to this song's catchy riffs and chorus. Also, I do enjoy their 'new' black and roll style of metal.

2. Draconian ~ Akherousia -- Quite possibly the most beautfiul song I've ever heard. I really love it. The male vocals are perfectly placed and the lyrics for the entire song.

3. Gorerotted ~ Bed 'Em, Behead 'Em -- Just really funny lyrics and a really catchy song. I haven't listened to it in a few days but I still really enjoy it and sing it on occasion.

4. Celtic Frost ~ Morbid Tales -- The "Are you morbid?" bit is a part I love. I love the thrasy chugging sound of this song. Good headbanger if you're in the mood.

5. Dissection ~ Thorns Of Crimson Death -- I like the acoustic interlude in this track and the chorus too. The intro is also quite pretty.

6. Dream Theater ~ Surrounded -- This disc was recently put in my CD player and played aloud. Suddenly, I remembered I was still in love with this song and did a bad rendition of it (I just woke up). Beautiful keys, strong vocal lines and well thoughtout lyrics.

7. Xandria ~ Eversleeping -- Another really pretty track. The keyboards and the vocals are so well suited. The song sounds lonely but in a romantic way.

8. Nevermore ~ Sell My Heart For Stones -- It's been a favourite for a couple of months now. I love the guitar melody against Dane's voice somewhere near the end/middle of the track, I think it's just before the solo. I really like the drumming too.

9. Children Of Bodom ~ Red Light In My Eyes, Pt II -- I love the Mozart symphony intro and the ending has a nice touch too. The classically influenced bit transfer well on the guitar. The riffing sounds foreboding and the vocals kick off the song aggressively.

10. Arcturus ~ Starcrossed -- Another long time favourite. Breath taking, dramatic and styled vocals and the keyboard intro is brilliant. One of my favourites of all time maybe. Who knows.

That was a bit hard and I too have a feeling this thread will be locked soon.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

15.08.2006 - 06:50
Stigmatized
Written by Daru Jericho on 15.08.2006 at 06:44

Interesting to read the other ones. Lists like these are so hard to pull off that I'm not going to do of all time but my current faovurites instead:

1. Satyricon ~ K.I.N.G. -- Saw the video recently on TV and it forced me to listen to their latest album again. I got addicted to this song's catchy riffs and chorus. Also, I do enjoy their 'new' black and roll style of metal.

2. Draconian ~ Akherousia -- Quite possibly the most beautfiul song I've ever heard. I really love it. The male vocals are perfectly placed and the lyrics for the entire song.

3. Gorerotted ~ Bed 'Em, Behead 'Em -- Just really funny lyrics and a really catchy song. I haven't listened to it in a few days but I still really enjoy it and sing it on occasion.

4. Celtic Frost ~ Morbid Tales -- The "Are you morbid?" bit is a part I love. I love the thrasy chugging sound of this song. Good headbanger if you're in the mood.

5. Dissection ~ Thorns Of Crimon Death -- I like the acoustic interlude in this track and the chorus too. The intro is also quite pretty.

6. Dream Theater ~ Surrounded -- This disc was recently put in my CD player and played aloud. Suddenly, I remembered I was still in love with this song and did a bad rendition of it (I just woke up). Beautiful keys, strong vocal lines and well thoughtout lyrics.

7. Xandria ~ Eversleeping -- Another really pretty track. The keyboards and the vocals are so well suited. The song sounds lonely but in a romantic way.

8. Nevermore ~ Sell My Heart For Stones -- It's been a favourite for a couple of months now. I love the guitar melody against Dane's voice somewhere near the end/middle of the track, I think it's just before the solo. I really like the drumming too.

9. Children Of Bodom ~ Red Light In My Eyes, Pt II -- I love the Mozart symphony intro and the ending has a nice touch too. The classically influenced bit transfer well on the guitar. The riffing sounds foreboding and the vocals kick off the song aggressively.

10. Arcturus ~ Starcrossed -- Another long time favourite. Breath taking, dramatic and styled vocals and the keyboard intro is brilliant. One of my favourites of all time maybe. Who knows.

That was a bit hard and I too have a feeling this thread will be locked soon.

I think so too. Which is really a shame because I really enjoy reading posts like yours and seeing why those songs appeal to you.
15.08.2006 - 06:51
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Not in any particular order:

1.Opeth-The Moor
I love the intro and the chorus. Mikael's vocals are the best ever in this song and the lyrics are great

2.Iron Maiden-Caught Somewhere In Time
This is one of Maiden's best, but my opinion of this being their best could change tommorow. Great riffs, great bass by Harris, great vocals by Bruce and some killer solos make this song what it is.

3.Slayer-South Of Heaven
One of the most evil songs ever made. Just listen to the intro. Really good lyrics too and at the end there is total chaos.

4.Megadeth-Holy Wars
The song that got me into Megadeth and it still is the best Megadeth song. Amazing song. Vocals by Mustaine are very well done on this song and the solos shred.

5.Amon Amarth-Victorious March
It has the great epic feel and it is among my favorite by Amon Amarth,

6.Carcass-Heartwork
My favorite Carcass song for obvious reasons. A nice sing-along chorus, great melodic riffs, and awesome leads.

7.Children Of Bodom-Kissing The Shadows
The use of the guitars with keyboards in this song is awesome. My favorite part is the dueling solos at the end.

8.Iced Earth-Dante's Inferno
Best Iced Earth song ever. The lyrics about the nine plains of hell are awesome and Schaffer's riffing is top notch. Randy Shawver's leads, Dave Abell's bass and Rodney Beasley's drums all get the job done very well. Barlow's vocals are better than ever and he proves why he is one of metal's top vocalists. The song gets really intense in the last couple of minutes.

9.Black Sabbath-Children Of The Grave
Really great Sabbath song. It has one of the heaviest riffs ever. Ever. And a great solo by Iommi. And of course, there's the amazing vocals of Ozzy.

10.Bathory- One Rode To Asa Bay/A Fine Day To Die Sorry. I can't decide.
Enough can't be said about how great of a musician Quorthon really was. These two songs are works of metal art, and I really cannot decide which one is superior.
15.08.2006 - 23:26
RavenLord

Right, time to explain my choices...

1. Iron Maiden-Paschendale
Simply put, this is one of the most emotive, well-written and downright epic songs I have ever encountered. A brilliant performance by all the band, with some beautiful harmonies and synths, crushing riffs and awesome vocals and lyrics. Every time I hear this, at the least I lose myself in the music, at best I cry, it's so fucking beautiful.

2. Dark Tranquillity-Punish My Heaven
Another kickass track. Whenever I first listened to this, I thought it was a 7min track...there is so much going on its 4 minutes, it feels much longer. There are so many time changes and riff changes, it's a joy to hear. Melodic Death metal does not get much better than this.

3. Judas Priest-Beyond the Realms of Death
Brilliant ballad. In fact, the best epic ballad outside Stairway to Heaven. Pensive acoustic intro gives way to rhythmic power chords turned to 11 (well, for 1978) in the chorus, and one of THE finest solos EVER recorded. Glen Tipton, I worship the very ground you tread on!

4. Nightwish-Pharoah Sails to Orion
It was tough choosing between this and Stargazers as my favourite song off Oceanborn. But the fact that Tapio Wilska sounds downright evil in the Biblical excerpt grabs your attention, before descending into a very headbangable riff and brilliant arpeggios and keyboards from Tuomas. There's a really good interlude before the final chorus, with the keyboards doing a solo section, before the whole thing speeds up for a series of high-speed chord changes and perfect vocals from Tarja...and...breathe. Really, a very intense track.

5. Dissection-Thorns of Crimson Death
As Daru Jericho said, this song has a brilliant, melancholic intro, which then crushes you with evil riffage. Not as fast as the other material on SotLB, but an uplifting chorus and nice interludes, plus that beautiful intro, make this my favourite Dissection song.

6. Iced Earth-Travel in Stygian
A perfect way to round off the near-perfect 'Night of the Stormrider' album. The riffs are so intense on this song, you can almost feel the flames of hell. The chorus exemplifies Stormrider's lack of remorse, and the piano/guitar outro is so sad, you almost feel the remorse Stormrider is unable to feel for himself. Jon Greely puts in some impressive screams, which are hardly matched by Matt Barlow on 'Alive in Athens'.

7. Megadeth-The Conjuring
Sort of Megadeth's 'Black Magic', I suppose. A wonderfully sinister intro halts at Mustaine's 'Obey!', before coming in with a riff that commands that you bang your head. Some typically black humour in the lyrics department, and nice, memorable soloing, make this a track that will stay in your head for a while.

8. Slayer-Seasons in the Abyss
I like this track because it shows a different side to Slayer. Slow, distorted guitars give way to a sinister acoustic riff which reeks of all manner of evil deeds. When it gets going, it gets quite thrashy, but the hypnotic chorus is what sets this song apart from Slayer's other work in my mind. 'Close your eyes, Look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go'...chilling stuff.

9. Sepultura-Inquisition Symphony
This is, simply put, one of the finest thrash songs I have heard to date. A wonderfully heavy acoustic intro (I love my acoustic intros/interludes ) sets up the introduction of a series of riffs reminiscent of Metallica's 'Call of Ktulu'. But these are just for warming up, as when Igor Cavalera decides to take the tempo up on the drums, the rest of the band go hell bent for leather, and riffage ensues. The final slide and chords bring you to your knees and leaves you gasping for air.

10. In Flames-December Flower
My favourite In Flames track, due to its beautiful melodies (even though they weren't done by Jesper). The main riff accelerates until the point where, musically, the whole thing expands and the solos come in. Really, these stick in your mind for a long while afterwards. It's just a pity that Anders has the worst death growl I've heard outside Chris Barnes'...
----
15.08.2006 - 23:47
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
@Silky- Nice post dude. You made some accurate points.
16.08.2006 - 00:04
RavenLord

Written by Dangerboner on 15.08.2006 at 23:47

@Silky- Nice post dude. You made some accurate points.

Thanks. Although, I must say that that list was rather hastily cobbled together. While Paschendale, the Dissection and Priest are musts, I don't think that I should have put In Flames up there, in retrospect. There are much better songs from bands such as Amon Amarth and Skyfire. In fact....

(Nominal) 10. Amon Amarth-Death In Fire
While I don't go for a band's best known song as my favourite, normally, this song sums up the AA sound perfectly. Tribal war drums, HEAVILY distorted guitars and bass and Johann Hegg's impressive vocals channel the rage of the Vikings into this piece. Hegg sounds equally pissed off while at the same time remarkably clear-most lines can be heard clearly, or at least guessed at. Which is a good thing, considering the brilliant Norse lyrics.

(Nominal) 10. Skyfire-Uncloud the Sky
This song defines epic. An orgmasic solo slide kicks off this track, which is quickly followed by a typical Skyfire riff-melodic, catchy and plenty of dual keyboard/guitar harmonies. The chorus is nifty, too-very uplifting
----
16.08.2006 - 10:48
Angelique
Bitchy Moderator
This sure is an interesting topic and can help other users to find new bands/songs but listing topics are forbidden in Metal Storm so you need to give a reason or short explanation/review of why the song means so much to you, just like some of you have done already Simple lists are concidered as a spam and might cause you a warning or even your permission to post for certain time.
----
I have more faith in my plumber than I do the eternal being. Plumbers do a good job. They keep the shit flowing.
-C.Bukowski
16.08.2006 - 18:32
AncientOrigins

1. Rotting Christ - Transform All Suffering Into Plagues - This song has all the elements that make Rotting Christ so great in 5 and a half minutes.

2. Order of the Ebon Hand - While the Gods Laugh - Fantastic Greek BM and one of the few BM tracks where the bass actually plays an important role.

3. Thou Art Lord - The Era of Satan Rising - A really fast BM track with awesome melodies and a very menacing atmosphere. Be commanded to bang!

4. Septic Flesh - Woman of the Rings - Quite an unknown track by SF, it can only be found on the "The Eldest Cosmonaut" EP. Top songwriting here.

5. Agatus - Memories of the Cold Ages - Extremely catchy riffs combined with awesome folk elements. Another amazing Greek band.

6. Varathron - The Tressrising Of Nyarlathothep - The best track with the best riffs and atmosphere on their great album "His Majesty at the Swamp"

7. Bathory - Nordland - Even though the Nordland I album was released late in Quorthon's career, it was arguably his best (imo). The title track rules.

8. Destruction - Eternal Ban - This track contains one of the best chorus riffs ever written. It's catchy as hell and totally headbangable.

9. Deicide - Homage for Satan - Might not be on my favourites list forever, but this track has the best Deicide solo in their entire career.

10. Belphegor - Bleeding Salvation - Probably the best Belphegor track released so far. Great riffs, drumming and atmosphere.
----
http://myspace.com/shoresofsheol - My Black Metal band
16.08.2006 - 20:25
marinBG

I hope the prophecies of the topic being locked will not come true... and the explanation part is really cool I think and it's really interesting at least for me to see what people like and why... and I'm also sure I'll discover at least 2 bands because of this thread if it stays active...
----
16.08.2006 - 20:31
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by marinBG on 16.08.2006 at 20:25

I hope the prophecies of the topic being locked will not come true... and the explanation part is really cool I think and it's really interesting at least for me to see what people like and why... and I'm also sure I'll discover at least 2 bands because of this thread if it stays active...

I agree, I think this thread rocks!
----
16.08.2006 - 20:51
Callette
Account deleted
I really can't order these songs and they are changing all the time but at the moment:

1.Windir - Svartesmeden og Lundamyrstrollet - A great atmospheric BM song with some melody and wonderful guitar sound. Shame that I can't understand the lyrics ...Should find a translation somewhere.

2. Windir - Saknet - Mostly same reasons as the previous, but this one has a lot of variety during the song. There's a lot of aggression but also peaceful parts.

3.Swallow The Sun - The Morning Never Came - A very good Finnish doom-metal band. It was hard to pick up the favourite but I think this is one of their best songs. Peaceful but threatening at the same time.

4.Summoning - Arcenstone - Haven't really heard many other songs from thet band but I like this pretty much. I can almost see the mountains raising around the scenery of the Middle-World created by Tolkien.

5.Pentagram - Mehter Marsi - The old sound, spoken vocals and simple riff. Simple but energetic.

6.Sentenced - For The Love I Bear - More pop kind of metal. Although it's a 'love song' the C part makes it a funny: singing drunks and a belch, just perfect

7.Children of Bodom - Wrath Within - Energy and virtuosity. That's it.

8.Emperor - The Eruption - Interesting song(/band) and a bit different from the others I listed here. Not so melodic.

9.Hypocrisy - Born Dead Buried Alive - A bit evil vocals with good guitar playing.

10.Norther - Day Zero - I think this was the first Norther song I ever heard, and been listenig the band ever since. Again there's skilled musicians with and good mixture of growling(or shouthing is maybe the correct) and clean voice.
16.08.2006 - 22:04
SteTech

1. Sonata Arctica - My Selene - I love this song so much, I've listened to it much more than any other song. I can relate to the lyrics a lot

2. Swallow The Sun - Through Her Silvery Body - The depressing melodies are great for a cold winter night, doesn't have as much effect on me at this time of year though, I prefer to listen to happier songs

3. Vanishing Point - As I Reflect - I love this ballad so much, it's beautiful. Hope there's another ballad like this on the next album

4. Altaria - Unchain The Rain - Great catchy song

5. Masterplan - Wounds - Another awesome catchy song, great lyrics as well

6. Russell Allen & Jorn Lande - Wish For A Miracle - This song has on eof the best choruses I've heard for a while, another awesome song

7. DragonForce - Through The Fire And Flames - This song gets better everythime I hear it!

8. Warmen - War Of Worlds - The only instrumental I love, the melodies are superb!

9. Norther - Betrayed - Another song I can relate to. Aggressive with a brill melodic guitar solo

10. Katatonia - My Twin - Very dark song, great chorus
16.08.2006 - 22:42
Trifixion
Account deleted
Good thing for that 1 song per band rule, or else I'd have a list of 10 Slayer songs alright let's see...

1. Slayer- Angel Of Death: No competition, the first Slayer song I ever heard and one that's just the pure meaning of metal. Hands down.

2. Death- Empty Words: IMO the best song written by the best DM band in history. The chorus in particular makes me love this song so much, one of the more emotional and powerful riffs out there if you ask me. Put that with Chucks vocals in his incredible lyrics and you got one hell of a song.

3. Iron Maiden- Hallowed Be Thy Name: Agh it was hard to pick one Maiden song as well, and although Seventh Son is my favorite Maiden album this is probably my favorite song by them. This is the first song I really listened to and loved by Maiden (see a pattern here?) and from the chilling opening, to the kick ass verses, all the way to what's one HELL of an ending, it's all incredible.

4. Mayhem- Freezing Moon: The best BM track ever written IMO. The intro is stuff of BM legend, never matched by the likes or any Darkthrone song or any damn BM song for that matter. One of my favorite solos ever is in here as well. The whole song is just filled with riffs that define BM and are just hella creepy

5. Deicide- Scars Of The Crucifix: Alright Legion is one of my favorite albums ever, and has a ton of songs I love (Satan Spawn, The Caco-Daemon could very well be here instead) but this song just kicks ass. The rest of the album is weak IMO, but THIS is a fuckin DM song. I'll never get tired of that intro.

6. Darkthrone- Kathaarian Life Code: I love A Blaze from start to finish and it was hard to pick just one song from it, but this is probably it. it just pure, cold BM at it's best, which says enough by itself.

7. Bloodbath- Cry My Name: I'm not quite sure why I love this song above all Bloodbath songs, there's just something brutal about it. I love every Bloodbath song really but this takes the cake and has always been my favorite...you will CRY MY NAME!

8. Pantera- Floods: Talk about a powerful song. I'm not the biggest Pantera fan but something about this song grabs me...the lyrics, the vocals in general, the awesome riffs, it's all incredible. But one thing in particular is the ending, which is just one of my favorite riffs in history. This song may not be on my list if it weren't for it...the best ending to any friggin song, ever.

9. Burzum- Key To The Gate: Sheer emotion put into a single song. We all know what Burzum is all about and this is the one song that expresses it to it's fullest IMO. Especially the solos, so much feeling to them...some of my favorites ever.

10. In Flames- The Jester's Dance: My favorite instrumental ever, I had to put it in here somewhere. It has such an amazing sound to it but I'm not quite sure how to describe it. I once described it as "fragile" in one thread or another so I'll stick with that? Whatever it sounds like, it's amazing
17.08.2006 - 01:58
+++mr.nihil+++
Account deleted
324 - Kage Wo Samayou Nem: Brutal Death can't really go beyond this.
Hypocrisy - Penetralia: most scary song ever
Neurosis - Purify: this song castsme to the ground and crashes me like an insect
Hate Forest - Glare Over Slavonic Lands: truy stunning Black Metal
Mar De Grises - Onírica: beautiful dreamful journey
Sodom - What Hell Can Create: stronger than you thrash
Pantera - A New Level: groove + violence = kick-ass song
Poema Arcanus - Female Poison: very romantic Doom Metal song, awesome.
Primordial - "Autumn Ablaze": emotional and subtle
Skepticism - "Pouring": hypnotic masterpiece that makes you abstract from anything else.
17.08.2006 - 02:47
Stigmatized
Written by SteTech on 16.08.2006 at 22:04

7. DragonForce - Through The Fire And Flames - This song gets better everythime I hear it!

And you hear it a lot, because it won't get out of your head. You just have to listen to it over and over and over again and sing along with that damn chorus.
17.08.2006 - 04:06
Susan
Smeghead
I tried to make this a mix of CURRENT and ALL TIME favourites. Geez... only 10? Noooo!!!

RANDOM ORDER:

Sinergy - Passage to the Fourth World
Culminating the "Fourth World" triligy this song tops them all. All the great energy that Sinergy has comes to it's peak in this song. On this album Kim's lyrics were deeply personal but she managed to intertwine the personal emotions with the fantasy aspect of the Fourth World.

Kamelot - Shadow of Uther
One song per artist? Ok it was either this or "The Fourth Legacy" which are nearly equally my 2 favourite Kamelot songs. The appeal of this song is hard to explain since it isn't some "great moment in music" or anything like that. It's just DAMN FUN and catchy and ass kicking. Nuff said

Leaves' Eyes - Skraelings
My new favourite song. The melodies in this song are so completely emotional and I love the way I respond to it; I feel it in my heart and stomach.

Dream Evil - The 7th Day
This song (and Gus G) made me want to be a guitar player. After listenig to hundreds of great guitar players it wasn't until the chunky repeating riff in this song (and subsequent solos) that I finally said "I want to do that!!"

Hibria - A Kingdom to Share
Hibria's album "Defying the Rules" broke through the metal scene last year and took no prisoners. This is Heavy Metal at it's best and A Kingdom to Share is the shining moment in an album full of classic songs. This song is led by the bass (he plays alone at times but I hate to call them solos since it's integrated into the song) which is a nice surprise too!

Tristania - Angina
Another tough choice for this band but it had to be Angina. Yes, Vibeke's part in the chorus makes this song so completely original. Her part alone could easily fit into any baroque/classical vocal piece but Morten makes it into perfectly sinister METAL. I could listen to this song 1000 times over and still be inspired.

Star One - Set Your Controls
I love classic rock almost as much as I love metal and with this track (and album) Arjen blends the spirit of both styles. What a ride!!!! Floor Jansen's guest vocals are such a special part of this album but the sheer energy of the instruments captured my heart the first time I heard this song.

Nightwish - Wishmaster
I don't have to tell you how I had 20 "best" Nightwish songs, but whatever. Wishmaster is it for me, a metal classic and title track of one of the greatest power metal albums of all time. It's all here folks. Energy, fun, emotion, and a damn catchy melody.

Stride - Imagine
The title track to the latest album of one of the GREATEST underground prog bands. Why has no one else heard of Stride? It's beyond me. This song (and another song called Alive) are 2 of my favourite songs right now. These cleverly written songs keep you on your toes, yet this is very "listenable" prog; you'll love it the first time around and the 50th time around. Their vocalist soars...

Korpiklaani - Pine Woods
I just realized how underrepresented folk metal is on my list, probably because I'm so new to it. Pine Woods is a current favourite, although Korpiklaani and Folk Metal are here to stay among my favourite genres. The opening melody is beautiful and it's so exciting to hear it progress into a more aggressive tack

Warmen - Fire Within
I've mentioned other tracks in this list that have great energy but they all PALE in comparison to this track. It's the most energetic song in my musical library. Janne's keyboards are fabulous as usual but it's Kimberly Goss who just rips this song to shreds. Her vocals are so strong; she grabs you by the balls and doesn't let go (she even grabs ME by the balls and I don't even have any...)
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
17.08.2006 - 04:09
Endoftherainbow

This one for me requires alot of thinking I will return with my answer after I go through some songs and eliminate alot because I have way to many to chose from.
17.08.2006 - 16:25
Stigmatized
Explain your choices please.....I don't want this thread locked!
18.08.2006 - 01:15
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
Well its hard enough to give only 10 so putting them in order is even more impossible...so heres my RANDOM top 10

Meshuggah - Corridor of Chameleons
This song just totally owns and brings back so much memories for me, especially of High School which pretty much was where my Meshuggah craze started. The time-changes and drumming in this song are just sick and probably has my favorite riff of all time in it, around 3:54...probably doesnt sound like much to others but this is my mos memorable song

Wintersun - Starchild
Well what can i say about this song? Where do i even start? Its just a piece of brilliance from start to finish and has everything that makes a song a masterpiece....insane musicianship and songwriting, epic chorusses, fast and slow parts, awesome lyrics and incredible melodies - in my eyes pretty much an insurpassable song...

Ensiferum - Tale of Revenge
This whole song just slays, the chorus especially always gets me headbanging its so fuckin catchy and beautiful i love it!

Vintersorg - Naturens Galleri
Well let me just say...if it wasnt for this song i would have never met my girlfriend

Behemoth - Conquer All
Its brutal and beautiful and just blows me away everytime...

Lost Horizon - Perfect Warrior
Has the most beautiful chorus of any song - period. Almost every Lost Horizon song is like a favorite to me but this one steals it slightly...

In Flames - Pinball Map
Reminds me of lots of good times at the beach with lots of nasty warm brandy and cricket bats lol..Oh and it just slays so much as well

Dark Moor - Bells of Notre Dame
One of the few songs that gave me goosebumps the first time i listened to it and still has the same efect on me. The voice of Elisa C is just heartstopping...

Old Man's Child - War of Fidelity
Hauntingly beautiful and the dual guitar solo in that song makes me grin with glee everytime i hear it!

Kalmah - Hades
Sort of sums up the time I spent in the UK when i was there for 2 years....Worked at a shitty insurance company and basically this song got me through every day when i listened it on the bus on way to work and back home....Once again the melodies in this song just mistifies me, its amazing
18.08.2006 - 02:40
Endoftherainbow

Alright I think I'm ready to make my list now although it's not really to official so here's 10 songs I really like in no particular order:

Death - Bite the Pain
This was my first experience with what is now one of my favorite bands it has some pretty sweet lyrics and some killer riffs.

Opeth - The Drapery Falls
My favorite Opeth song it has an amazing intro and some great riffs and drumming the vocals on the song are great aswell.

Devin Townsend - Namaste
The song gives off a really cool vibe and it's one of the heaviest DTB songs. The samples of little children are also pretty cool.

Blind Guardian - Mordred's Song
This song has a great chours that's one of my favorites and it's got some really great leads in it.

Mastodon - Caparillian Crest
Lately this has been the song I listen to most I can't find anything bad about and the part in the middle with the crazy jam thing is amazing.

Slayer - Skeletons of Society
Right now this is probably my favorite Slayer song there's just something about it that catches my attention everytime I hear it that I never get tired of.

In Flames - Reroute to Remain
I don't know what it is about this song and the entire album in general but there's something I've come to really appreciate about this album even though I used to think it wasn't that great the production and the big chours' are all amazing and it still has the some of the sick In Flames riffs that are reminiscent of the old stuff.

Quo Vadis - Dream
This song has some kick ass acoustic parts that I really enjoy it's one of their more melodic songs but amazing none the less.

Dying Fetus - Born In Sodom
This song has amazing drumming and some great guitar that's pretty technical it's one that's been getting alot of plays.

Crytopsy - In the Kingdom Where Everything Dies, The Sky is Mortal
I like the part in this song where Flo makes his double kick sound like a Hellacopter.

I'm not sure I'm really happy with this list but it will do for now because it's a reflection of what I've listened to most this month.
19.08.2006 - 17:10
marinBG

I edited my first post and added explanations for my Top Ten Tracks also The expalanations were a really cool idea... now the topic is really cool imo
----
19.08.2006 - 19:16
Valentin B
Iconoclast
1.Judas Priest-Painkiller-sheer limbripping assraping drum intro,and if you live through it,you get an absolutely mind-blowing song with about 4 fake-endings until the real one.incredible vocal performance by the metal god,hitting notes higher than some female vocalists.plus it makes me go full throttle on my bike
2.Slayer-skeletons of society-the chorus is just...argh!!! + cool intro,lyrics,and as i said,that robot-voice just makes me want to stab someone in a dark back alley
3.Nightwish-dark chest of wonders-if i ever see this song played live,i'll get a heart-attack.it's got sheer energy and superb riffs and fantastic singalong value.also that first keyboard solo commands you to headbang frenzily
4.Iron Maiden-fear of the dark-one of my favourite riffs to play on guitar(the acoustic riff)and unbelievable singalong value.also 2nd distortion riff,it's simply
5.Megadeth-rus in peace-the best lyrics out of this top10,unbelievable riffage,and my favourite part-"launch the polaris,it doesn't scare us,when will this cease,the warheads will all rust in peace"-then comes the skull grinding riff..i don't have enough words to characterize that part.i simply love it and i feel my life is a lot better since i know that part
6.Nightwish-wishmaster-superb lyrics,the best drums in a song of theirs ever,plus everything is so peaceful and every instrument sounds perfect
7.Rhapsody of fire-the bloody rage of the titans-the flute coming in at 1:40 or so is a pure moment of musical brilliance.i just love it+good lyrics,vocals and guitarwork
8.Metallica-Master of puppets(yeah yeah whatever)-8 minutes of pure metal.the lyrics simply make you feel like you actually are stoned.never have i heard that much emotion-transfer between musician and listener.also the riffs and the chorus kick your ass with lead filled army boots
9.Children of Bodom-silent night,bodom night-fantastic solos and riffs,good vocal performance,and the last keyboard solo leaves you slack jawed
10.last but not least-Nightwish-Beauty and the Beast-it's just such a wonderful song.thank you tuomas for writing and singing on it.everything just flows so beautifuly...
21.08.2006 - 08:02
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Alot of the songs I like,its hard for me to give reason,its mainly an identifiable reason,so just bear with me.

1. Guardian - Fates Warning
The song is absolutely beautiful,the opening acoustic riff just has you waiting for more.The lyrics are absolutely stunning and very subtle,man this song is touching,it has one of the most heartfelt meanings behind it.It's a pledge to those handicapped but more so to John Arch's own parapalegic brother

2.Eagleheart - Stratovarius
So its very mainstreamish,and yes its very catchy.I dont know what it is but this song just means so much to me,I wish I could explain it,perhaps because I really can indentify with it.Thats the best I got sorry.

3. No Prayer for the Dying - Iron Maiden
This another one of those identifying songs,and strangely enough it is my favorite Maiden song.I just love the lyrics and the music to it,again I could constantly just listen to it.

4.A Trace of Blood - Pain of Salvation
An amazing song,has some catchy moments,and the lyrics are amazing.It was tough choosing a PoS song but perhaps more are to come.

5. The Musical Box - Genesis
The ultimate prog rock song,this song is made very well,there is even a jam moment in this song. So fun to listen to.

6.March of Time - Helloween
Nothing is more true than this song,I mean time does march on does it not.Its got some great stuff from Kai and Weiki.One of my favorite Helloween songs.

7.Dust To Dust - Heavenly
A beautiful song,filled with beautiful piano,and choirs.The song is quite depressing.When that solo kicks in I get goosebumps.God I love this song.

8.Memories of Time - Dreamtale
Has a really catchy riff,along with a catchy chorus.Sort of a cheesy song but nonetheless I like it.Reminds you to always cherish your times.

9.Caught Somewhere in Time - Iron Maiden
God this song is awesome,one of Maidens best.Catchy but yet so badass.When Bruce sings the "Caught Somewhere in Time" part you cant help but sing along.

10.Priest of Evil - Stormwitch
What a badass classic metal song.When Andy Muck sings the chorus "Priest,Priest of Evil,adores the number 666,priest,priest of evil,spits on every crufix",i love that part.It's quite catchy and has some nice guitar work.
25.08.2006 - 04:32
tuerda

Man, this is so hard! I won't even try to give them in order.

1. Therion - Symphony of the Dead (Beyond Sanctorum version): Simply put, the most epic song ever written. The riffs are insane and there are some keyboards which at first seem not to fit in witht he brutality of the death metal, but then just get so haunting and eerie. This song rocks my socks! (yes, I know the phrase rocks my socks is cheesy)

2. Opeth - Deliverance: So yeah, there has to be an Opeth song here, and well . . . The last 3 minutes of this song are just insanely great! They simply found the best riff ever and played it over and over again. You would think it would get boring, but it doesn't. It's just that good.

3. Metallica - One: No need to say anything. I don't even really like Metallica very much, but this song rules!

4. A Perfect Circle - Rose: I have listened to this song so many times it is ridiculous, but it still causes weird shivers to run up my back. The gritty guitar tone, and the extremely melodic composition contrast in a way that sends me into emotional conniptions. Better than anything they ever did as Tool (not to say there is anything wrong with Tool).

5. Cryptopsy - Cold Hate, Warm Blood: Can you keep up with all the crazy tempo changes and melodic variation? Can you even begin to conceive of how such a diverse song could possibly ever fit together? I sure can't! Oh yeah, and it's really brutal too.

6. Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked: The album is good, the song is amazing. It is dark, evil and brutal. There is nothing particularly unusual about it, it is just really really good.

7. Immortal - Blashyrkh (Mighty Ravendark): Did I spell the name right I wonder? Simply the grimest, most evil song of all time. Ever wondered what black metal would sound like a'capella? Check out the beginning of this track.

8. Haggard - Awaking the Centuries: Hmmm . . . maybe I was wrong about Symphony of the Dead, this song may be even more epic. Haggard at it's best. Like a really brutal opera. This song is astonishingly beautiful, and astonishingly evil, all at once. Like Satan in 'Paradise Lost' (the book, not the band)

9. My Dying Bride - The Crown of Sympathy: A song I listen to only on special occasions. I love it, but it has a tendency to make me lose all faith in the future of mankind. It is perhaps the bleakest, saddest, least optimistic song I have ever heard. Even funeral doom doesn't seem to transmit the same complete lack of hope that this song does.

10. Cephallic Carnage - Pseudo: Irregular time signatures, notes following each other completely unpredictably, and crusty screams that come in at odd time intervals. Objectively, you would swear to God it was completely random but it's NOT. It all makes sense! one of the weirdest songs ever, and absolutely great!

And now I have a problem, there is no space for Gorguts's amazing song 'Nostalgia'. Dang! well, I guess there is really nothing I can do about it because all of the above songs belong there.
25.08.2006 - 06:40
Stigmatized
Written by tuerda on 25.08.2006 at 04:32

6. Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked: The album is good, the song is amazing. It is dark, evil and brutal. There is nothing particularly unusual about it, it is just really really good.

Among my favorite of Nile's songs. A simply haunting but killer intro. The guitar line sounds fucking cool as hell and the drumming behind it is beyond words.
25.08.2006 - 10:21
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Top 10 song

Mototrhead : orgasmetron , legendry song ... have listened 10,000 time , and still

listen it each and every day

Quo Vadis : Break the Cycle , wow love everything ..speed ..riffs ..drumming ./..

br00tal pwnage.

Atheist : Room with a view , my favorite ... wonderful solos and killer sig change.

Deicide : Dead by Dawn ... holy fking awesome

Burzum : Lost Wisdom ... my all time BM favorite , seriously absolute TRIP

Pink Floyd : Echoes, Simply the best song of the world .. 23 mins of madness

Iron Maiden : Hallowed be Thy Name , One of the best riffs ever !!

Slayer : Raining Blood , Gods of all thrashy and catchy riffs.

Rammstein: Sehnsucht , yes my favorite

Behemoth : As above so below , brutal growling and powerful drummer PWNS.
27.08.2006 - 03:27
Daniel

top ten songs

1.Metallica-
The four horseman: Because it is catchy,awesome,and a classic

2.Chidren of Bodom-Bodom after midnight:
Coz It is awesome! catch chorus,musically great,and Its just so damn good,

3.Arch enemy- Nemisis:
I love the chorus,the guitar,and the time signiture and tempo of the song,it is awesome (i use that word too much)

4.Judas Priest-living after midnight:
It is one of there classics,awesome chorus,straight forward guitar,and It is indeed ,very catchy,

5.Megadeath-peace sells:
Because i love it.

6.Norther-Last breath:
because i love the sadness of that song,and the peircing vocals.

7.Antrax-belly of the beast
Because it is an awesome song,period

8.Iron maiden-invaders
Because i like the lyrics,and the singing,along with every thing else

9.sonata arctice-full moon
because i like the lyrics,the melody,and the chorus,

10.Led Zeppelin-immigration song
Because it is an awesome song,every one loves this song i put at number ten because i think Led Zeppelin are rock,not metal.

theses songs change all the time though,so this is just it at the moment
----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
27.08.2006 - 18:36
DLMokoma
Account deleted
Okay here's mine.

1. Metallica - Blackened
Whenever I hear the riffs I think again "whoa, when will Metallica come to Finland again?"

2. Mokoma - Kiellän Itseni
This has a awesome intro, and the whole song just makes me headbang.

3. Norther - Day Zero
The chorus.. Whoa man. I love this.

4. Slayer - Angel Of Death
Blam! I get never bored to this.

5. Megadeth - Set The World Afire
The first Megadeth-song I ever heard. Still the best.

6. Ruoska - Irti
Finnish industrial, that makes my head go up and down.

7. Amoral - Showdown
Best finnish death I've ever heard.

8. Death - Flattening Of Emotions
Really great chorus, really awesome song. Love it.

9. Rammstein - Rammstein
Whoa, just listen to this song, and you'll see.

10. Stone - Overtake
Really speed thrash metal song. I just love this one too.
27.08.2006 - 20:00
chuckie
Account deleted
1. Angels Don't Kill - Children Of Bodom -> I Love it, best song ever, the amazing guitar work and keyboarding along with the drumming, matched up with the amazing lyrics, a very heartfelt song
2. Hallowed Be Thy Name - Best Riff EVER! Steve Harris Is an amazing songwriter
3.Nightmare Factory - Annihilator - I Love annihilator, IMO best homegrown metal lol, this song has brutal jeff waters guitar playing
4.Cemetery Gates - Pantera - Love how it goes from clean guitar to distorted, pretty catchy too
5.Make Them Suffer - Cannibal Corpse - Fucking brutal, love cannibal corpse, amazing guitar work (as usual) and brutal vocals (as usual)
6.The Drapery Falls - Opeth - Dunno, Just Love this song, cant get enough of it
7.Demons And Angels - Primal Fear - I Love The Epic feel of this song
8.From The Cradle To Enslave - Cradle Of Filth - Cradle At it's best, Dani's Vocals Kick ass
9.Bright Eyes - Blind Guardian - Love Blind Guardian, I Love The guitar in this song, good lyrics too
10.Absinthe With Faust - Cradle Of Filth - Catchy