Metal Storm logo
More link Popups

28.03.2024 - 22:57
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
I consider this an experiment because I want to see if and how much it would annoy me and others.

Almost everywhere on the site where a band is linked, you can now hover over the link and a popup will appear quite like with shoutbox links and show you (what I consider) the most important data about said band.

The same is true for reviews in the sidebar, albeit through another technology.

As usual, feedback to me please.
----
28.03.2024 - 23:14
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Pretty cool addition!

I think you should add it to the "similar bands" and "fans also like" sections at the bottom of band pages
28.03.2024 - 23:19
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by F3ynman2000 on 28.03.2024 at 23:14
I think you should add it to the "similar bands" and "fans also like" sections at the bottom of band pages

I specifically skipped them because they already contain part of the displayed information and a picture. At least Fans Also Like does. Similar bands I can do.
----
28.03.2024 - 23:24
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
This also partly solves the complaint some people (me included) had that the New Releases page should show the genre of the album. However, when hovering over the band name there, I noticed that the rest of the text like the tracklist and release date shift down weirdly. Do you see that too?

Edit: also the flags don't appear when hovering on the New Releases page
28.03.2024 - 23:28
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
I see that the flags are rendered natively, not using Metal Storm's flag font, which is weird. Don't see any shifting, though.
----
28.03.2024 - 23:32
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by corrupt on 28.03.2024 at 23:28

I see that the flags are rendered natively, not using Metal Storm's flag font, which is weird. Don't see any shifting, though.

The shifting also happens on lists. It's actually even bothersome on lists, because the link shifts away from the cursor! Here is an example. As you can see, "Lulu" shifts a row below "Metallica", and "Metallica" even shifts slightly upward.
28.03.2024 - 23:36
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Can you CTRL+F5 just to be sure, please?
----
28.03.2024 - 23:39
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by corrupt on 28.03.2024 at 23:36

Can you CTRL+F5 just to be sure, please?

I did CRTL+F5 several times. Still on all lists and on the new releases page
28.03.2024 - 23:45
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
I'm seeing it in Chrome.

Shitty browsers, man ...
----
28.03.2024 - 23:46
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by corrupt on 28.03.2024 at 23:45

I'm seeing it in Chrome.

Shitty browsers, man ...

yeah I'm using Chrome
28.03.2024 - 23:49
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
I don't know if this was intentional, but just letting you know that the band popup does not show up in the "collection" or "recent favorites" parts of profiles
29.03.2024 - 00:06
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by F3ynman2000 on 28.03.2024 at 23:46
yeah I'm using Chrome

Try again, please.
----
29.03.2024 - 00:08
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by F3ynman2000 on 28.03.2024 at 23:14

Pretty cool addition!

Similar bands now shows it.
----
29.03.2024 - 00:11
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by corrupt on 29.03.2024 at 00:06

Written by F3ynman2000 on 28.03.2024 at 23:46
yeah I'm using Chrome

Try again, please.

No issues! Thanks!
29.03.2024 - 00:12
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by F3ynman2000 on 28.03.2024 at 23:49

I don't know if this was intentional, but just letting you know that the band popup does not show up in the "collection" or "recent favorites" parts of profiles

Nope, that was an oversight and is now fixed. Good catch dude!
----
29.03.2024 - 00:13
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by corrupt on 29.03.2024 at 00:12

Written by F3ynman2000 on 28.03.2024 at 23:49

Nope, that was an oversight and is now fixed. Good catch dude!

Sweet! Glad I could help
29.03.2024 - 12:57
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
I took the opportunity to add the new popup to reviews in the sidebar and do the same for articles. While I was at it, I gave articles the same love reviews get and gave it the same layout with picture.
----
29.03.2024 - 17:07
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by corrupt on 29.03.2024 at 12:57

I took the opportunity to add the new popup to reviews in the sidebar and do the same for articles. While I was at it, I gave articles the same love reviews get and gave it the same layout with picture.

How about adding pop-ups to the Reviews, Articles, Features, and Interviews pages, including some of the opening text or teaser text?
29.03.2024 - 17:34
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by F3ynman2000 on 29.03.2024 at 17:07
How about adding pop-ups to the Reviews, Articles, Features, and Interviews pages, including some of the opening text or teaser text?

So far, anything that is not a band link is a manual process. As I said, I'll use band links for my trial. Meaning anything that doesn't link to a band profile page is out for now.
----
29.03.2024 - 18:58
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
I finally managed to achieve feature parity on link popups. The mobile version of MS now behaves like Wikipedia. When you click a (only "band" for now) link, there will be a small popup in the bottom showing a preview of what you'd get into and the option to either open it or not.
----
31.03.2024 - 21:59
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Nice feature I think. Is ot possible to add "year of formation" as relevant data in the pop up please?

Also i'm thinking that the pop up might block the user's cursor sometimes, if they glide over the wrong link and have their actual target covered. The pop up shall disappear as soon as the cursor is off the element which produced it, instead of staying active if the cursor is inside the pop up, while there's nothing to click on it in fact.

Another idea is to have them pop in a fixed place in the screen, but I can't anticipate how it would feel
----
31.03.2024 - 22:10
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Ansercanagicus on 31.03.2024 at 21:59
Also i'm thinking that the pop up might block the user's cursor sometimes, if they glide over the wrong link and have their actual target covered. The pop up shall disappear as soon as the cursor is off the element which produced it

That is an excellent idea and I put it in right away.

Year of formation could be added to the popup no problem. The only thing i wonder is how to deal with the other data points like hiatuses or breakups. I usually avoid displaying only parts of a band's connected data if you know what I mean. Can I ask why you're interested in a band's formation year specifically?
----
31.03.2024 - 22:32
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Written by corrupt on 31.03.2024 at 22:10

Year of formation could be added to the popup no problem. The only thing i wonder is how to deal with the other data points like hiatuses or breakups. I usually avoid displaying only parts of a band's connected data if you know what I mean. Can I ask why you're interested in a band's formation year specifically?

Just for information, if I encounter a band I don't know. Sometimes stuff that looks new is from veterans. Also to get a sense of chronology as to where an album sits in the band's discography, or in between bands.

Display the year of formation is only one date, so I guess there's no problem. Of course if the band is disbanded, that's another date and adds to the inconsistency of the display. Hiatus could also be a nightmare. I'm trying to picture some kind of timeline display. One date left (formation), timeline (with hiatus in red), one date right (nowadays or disbandment), all in a fixed size (?)
----
31.03.2024 - 23:25
Redel
Written by corrupt on 29.03.2024 at 18:58

The mobile version of MS now behaves like Wikipedia. When you click a (only "band" for now) link, there will be a small popup in the bottom showing a preview of what you'd get into and the option to either open it or not.

There is a specific behavior of this feature that kind of annoys me, it is possibly unintended.
I am in the mobile app on an android phone.
When I go to Community-> Members, which I do frequently when taking a look at newly registered users, all the user profiles that are linked there would also open a pop up window when clicked on. Is that intentional? If it is, the implementation is kind of inconsistent since the pop up does not appear when I click on user names in any other area of the site, they would usually forward to the user profile directly. Only in the Members section I observe the pop ups.
31.03.2024 - 23:27
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Redel on 31.03.2024 at 23:25

There is a specific behavior of this feature that kind of annoys me, it is possibly unintended.
I am in the mobile app on an android phone.
When I go to Community-> Members, which I do frequently when taking a look at newly registered users, all the user profiles that are linked there would also open a pop up window when clicked on. Is that intentional? If it is, the implementation is kind of inconsistent since the pop up does not appear when I click on user names in any other area of the site, they would usually forward to the user profile directly. Only in the Members section I observe the pop ups.

I'm still in the process of rolling it out for user names. It's a tedious and very manual process, unfortunately. Same for bands, I just did more before announcing it. It works in the shoutbox, though.
----
31.03.2024 - 23:31
Redel
Written by corrupt on 31.03.2024 at 23:27

I'm still in the process of rolling it out for user names. It's a tedious and very manual process, unfortunately. Same for bands, I just did more before announcing it. It works in the shoutbox, though.

I have to correct myself: I just now also oberserved the pop up with user names in case they are embedded in a quote that is part of a post, not though with the name of the user who posted it.
08.04.2024 - 12:59
Lamahe
Written by corrupt on 28.03.2024 at 22:57

I consider this an experiment because I want to see if and how much it would annoy me and others.

Almost everywhere on the site where a band is linked, you can now hover over the link and a popup will appear quite like with shoutbox links and show you (what I consider) the most important data about said band.

The same is true for reviews in the sidebar, albeit through another technology.

As usual, feedback to me please.

I love this new feature! It's really practical for me as I tend to work quite a lot with cross-referencing. As such, these popups speed up my progress. Thank you for that!
----
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
08.04.2024 - 21:52
nikarg
Staff
I love this feature, too.
09.04.2024 - 07:55
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Fucking cool. Keep this way.
13.04.2024 - 13:37
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Ansercanagicus on 31.03.2024 at 21:59
Nice feature I think. Is ot possible to add "year of formation" as relevant data in the pop up please?

Both year of formation and disbanding are now displayed as applicable in a "active <from> – <till>" form. Hiatuses are not displayed.

Edit: Just when I posted this I realized I can easily at least add the information that a band had breaks in their career. So that is in, too, now.

Band that is still active: Mgła
Band that is still active but had breaks: Emperor
Band that was only active one year: Fenriz
Band that is disbanded but had breaks: Dissection
Band that is disbanded without breaks: Bathory

----