Metal Storm logo
Opera

17.05.2006 - 04:58
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
We had a nice little opera topic in the old forum, let's get it going again

Favourite composers? Favourite shows? Favourite Divas?

My favourite composer of opera is Verdi. His signature sound just breaks my heart I love many composers but no one comes close to the personal connection I have with Verdi's best operas.

My favourite opera is of course Aida, by Verdi. However, it's a near tie with Le Nozze di Figaro (The Marriage of Figaro) by Mozart. This is a comedy and very, very fun. One of my career goals is to play the part of The Countess in a professional production of Figaro.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
17.05.2006 - 05:28
meTalcoholic
Mozart is my favorite opera composer, hands down.
----

-ZEdarkangel (a.k.a. ZD/ZeeDee)

666, Number of the Beaaaaaast!!!!!!
18.05.2006 - 22:11
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Best Opera is definitely Carmen outstanding music
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
20.05.2006 - 08:34
Icewings
La Luna
AHHH my beautiful Opera...what a great kind of music it is ..so many beauty combine ...Well I'm a big fan big big big ...Love going to the operas and well sometimes performing ...I did a couple of songs by Monteverdi and I must tell you this guy is amazing ..yes Verdi too but I never had the opportunity to sing something by him so ...I have a lof of favorite composes but well One of my favorite operas is Dido and aenas by purcell ..beautiful beautiful work and also Tosca ....Great Thread ...
----

Metalheads for Black Lives and Land Back
23.05.2006 - 19:28
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Written by heresiarch on 18.05.2006 at 22:11

Best Opera is definitely Carmen outstanding music
Also my favs are Verdi's - il Trovatore just excellent
Mozart's Requiem - brilliant
----

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

28.05.2006 - 08:23
Linak
I Own You Bitch
My favorite opera is Mahler's Kindertotenlieder sang by Kathleen Ferrier, my goodness I get goosebumps only by thinking of it, and of course Madama Butterfly sang by my favorite diva, Maria Callas, just for the record, she is NOT overrated, she is just misunderstood lol so cliche
----
Stick this up your fucking pee-aitch-dee.
02.06.2006 - 07:01
Icewings
La Luna
Written by Linak on 28.05.2006 at 08:23

My favorite opera is Mahler's Kindertotenlieder sang by Kathleen Ferrier, my goodness I get goosebumps only by thinking of it, and of course Madama Butterfly sang by my favorite diva, Maria Callas, just for the record, she is NOT overrated, she is just misunderstood lol so cliche

Hi my dear , YES Madame Butterfly and Maria Callas ahh so beautiful , I want to see it , I think it is amazing to put such masterpieces together ....Great great opinion ....
----

06.06.2006 - 21:39
*~Älatu~*
Account deleted
My favourite opera is Carmen (I listened it when I was a child ) and Madama Butterfly ^^ Maby... Toska...(I sang in some parts)
¡OOOOOOOH FORTUNAAAA! YEAH!
*~Älatu~*
08.06.2006 - 21:51
Revenant
Account deleted
A genre I want to get into (as I'm a huge Therion fan) but don't know where to start. Reciomendations would be good.
09.06.2006 - 05:18
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by [user id=5431] on 08.06.2006 at 21:51

A genre I want to get into (as I'm a huge Therion fan) but don't know where to start. Reciomendations would be good.

Any of Verdi's later operas would appeal to a Therion fan I'm sure. His work is very dramatic and HUGE like Therion's. Try:

Aida
Otello
La Traviata
Il Trovatore
Rigoletto

Also you might try Carmen by Bizet. It's a popular opera (as you see here) but popular for good reason!

If you can't find any of these then just try a random opera CD you find at a used CD store. It takes several spins to get into, just like a metal album. Good luck!! Remember, opera is like metal in the sense that it's very ecclectic. If you don't like the first opera you hear then it doesn't mean you won't like ANY opera.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
09.06.2006 - 08:10
Linak
I Own You Bitch
Now that you mention it... I listened to Aida today! ^^ it never gets old
----
19.06.2006 - 13:54
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Saturday I was at my cousins wedding. later we went to see Mozart's opera Don Giovanni just awesome

Mozart's darkest and most deep opera

Ok it last almost 4 hours but neverlethess brilliant,definitely worth watching
----

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

20.06.2006 - 07:29
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Not so much a composer, but singer Luciano Pavarotti. He is a favorite of mine. I especially love the song "Il Gladiatore." Very emotional. I am not so much into long Opera shows as I am into the actual singers and songs. Though I do enjoy what I can.
----
The force will be with you, always.
29.06.2006 - 00:34
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Favourite opera singer Placido Domingo tenor
----

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

11.07.2006 - 00:13
Linak
I Own You Bitch
Mine is Fischer-Dieskau
no one sings Mahler like that man! >.<

EDIT: Oh lol I forgot... Kathleen Ferrier is better whith the Kindertotenlieder, but Fischer-Dieskau is better with the rest of Mahler lolz
----
12.07.2006 - 17:51
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Just remembered, me and my mates had job command at Verona Italy in june-august 1998
At same time there was world's largest opera festival in 7 weeks time we saw Verdi's Nabucco,Rigoletto and Aida

I don't know much about Italian people but they sure do know how to create incredible opera experience even the setting is breathtaking at Verona there is a beautiful stone built Amphitheater unbelievable acoustics

totally recommend to everybody even those who not so into opera
----

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

12.07.2006 - 23:28
Nima
Account deleted
I havn't seen much opera in life. I thought it sounded horrible until I got to hear it in real life during a russian classical concert (with rachmaninoff etc) I attended.

my conclusion is that opera sounds best when your hear it in real life.
23.07.2006 - 02:22
Linak
I Own You Bitch
@Nima, there is no doubt! I don't think it can be compared, the power of the human voice in record vs. the power of the human voice live, most specially when there's no microphones there to spoil the show in case something goes wrong, that's why it's also better to listen to an opera based purely on the acoustic of the place and the vocal power of the singer, thus I think small private venues are a billion times better : )))
----
26.07.2006 - 05:53
Gathering Storm
Account deleted
I love Mozart, Don Giovanni is one of my favorites.
30.07.2006 - 04:33
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by Icewings on 20.05.2006 at 08:34

AHHH my beautiful Opera...what a great kind of music it is ..so many beauty combine ...Well I'm a big fan big big big ...Love going to the operas and well sometimes performing ...I did a couple of songs by Monteverdi and I must tell you this guy is amazing ..yes Verdi too but I never had the opportunity to sing something by him so ...I have a lof of favorite composes but well One of my favorite operas is Dido and aenas by purcell ..beautiful beautiful work and also Tosca ....Great Thread ...

You know a lot about Opera my dear Icewings, so, you can recommed me good ones, because I don't know almost anything about Opera, but I think that is much better to see an Opera in real life
And I'm sure that you make an excellent job performing operas
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
03.08.2006 - 09:19
Icewings
La Luna
Written by The Alchemist on 30.07.2006 at 04:33

Written by Icewings on 20.05.2006 at 08:34

You know a lot about Opera my dear Icewings, so, you can recommed me good ones, because I don't know almost anything about Opera, but I think that is much better to see an Opera in real life
And I'm sure that you make an excellent job performing operas

HI my dear ...well I love Opera since always , and when I found out my voice was more confortable with opera is like I embrace it even more ...and yes seeing a real life opera is breath taking , extremely beautiful I'll invite you one day .

So well my dear it depends what kind of stuff you like it , beacause there's the opera seria , or opera buffa , or opera from the baroque period which carries a lot of stuff , but then in the classical period is more simple , inthe romantic period is very nacionalista ...anyways what would you like ?

Ohhh hehe thanks but I still have to practice so much , I try !
----

03.08.2006 - 19:16
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Well my dear, Opera from the Baroque period sounds good, I've always liked this kind of music.
Sure we'll go one day to Opera, that would be great!
Maybe you have to practise very much but I'm sure that right now you can do it very well, and since you like to sing so much, practising wouldn't be a problem, each time you'll be better.
----

Sensorium - Epica
12.08.2006 - 07:59
Icewings
La Luna
Written by The Alchemist on 03.08.2006 at 19:16

Well my dear, Opera from the Baroque period sounds good, I've always liked this kind of music.
Sure we'll go one day to Opera, that would be great!
Maybe you have to practise very much but I'm sure that right now you can do it very well, and since you like to sing so much, practising wouldn't be a problem, each time you'll be better.

Hi my dear , sorry I didn't reply to you as soon , but you know school is keeping me very busy , I hope you are doing great !well my dear yeah Baroque Opera is my favorite but well there's other operas I like as well ..here I'm gonna recomend you some ...

-Mikado-Gilbert and sullivan
-Dido and Aenas-Purcell
-Orfeo-Monteverdi
-Doktor Faustus-Busoni
-Don Giovani-Mozart

Well my dear I will tell you more , so far I told you the one's I like but there's more to come ...! have a good day and well enjoy it , if you need help finding samples or things tell me
----

12.08.2006 - 15:38
helofloki
Account deleted
I cannot believe that no one has mentioned Wagner yet. The damn king of opera! His operas are absolutely amazing. The whole Ring of the Nibelungen series, Loehngren, Parsifal and Tristan Und Isolde which may be my favorite opera of all time. That is incredibly beautiful.

Strauss was really awsome too. Salome is such a musical ride and Elektra is so eerie.

My other favorite opera writer is one you guys have mentioned, Mozart's best works were by far his operas. He really expressed his genius of characterization through the music. Plus its all funny, for when you get tired of Wagner . Cose Fan Tutte, Marriage of Figaro, Don Giovanni all great.
12.08.2006 - 17:50
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
@Icewings: thank you very much my dear, I'll search for the operas. Hope to see you soon
----

Sensorium - Epica
13.08.2006 - 23:38
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by [user id=1420] on 12.08.2006 at 15:38

I cannot believe that no one has mentioned Wagner yet. The damn king of opera! His operas are absolutely amazing. The whole Ring of the Nibelungen series, Loehngren, Parsifal and Tristan Und Isolde which may be my favorite opera of all time. That is incredibly beautiful.

You're right, that IS strange!! The old Opera thread we had was full of Wagner Ahh.. the Ring - I would love to see THAT performed live....
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
14.08.2006 - 00:04
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Wagner? : I've seen Tannhäuser on stage which is fine but it lasts almost 6 hours 3 intermissions ,thank god ,otherwise it is suicide
----

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

16.08.2006 - 07:54
MetalSpider
Im not really an Opera fan but Don Giovanni by Mozart is excellent. Its very dark and powerful.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
27.09.2006 - 10:00
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
I also want to get more opera related music.
The closest stuff I have to opera is really opera metal, stuff like therion and Haggard.
So if anyone can recommend me some good quality opera music i'd certainaly be in your debt.

By the way it's not entirely opera but it comes damn close. Try Haggard, they're a band of about 21 people and their music (whilst has metal elements in it) is very much a part of the opera genre. listen to the album Eppur Si Muove, excellent stuff.

THE END
06.10.2006 - 16:04
Lupas
Maximus
@ Woven Elegy

Try to listen to Dargaard or DominiomIII , they are like Haggard

I use to listen to Bach music and of course Mozart , they are the genuis in opera music.

This december i will attend a concert from Bocchelli held here in Malta during the christmass celebration. It will be my first opera concert i will attend
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy