Metal Storm logo
Chinese Metalstormers

23.09.2008 - 10:58
Ernis
狼獾
We all know there's metalstorm users from China...so this thread could be a place for us to discuss events and life in general and if someone knows bout an event to come so, this could be the first place where the news appear....
me, Yang, Linak...also Otherguy and others....people there's more of us here so this thread could be a place for people from China to become more active here....

All the best to everyone....
23.09.2008 - 14:57
Linak
I Own You Bitch
I get the feeling there's gonna be a lot of you and me in this thread.
There's a bunch of friends telling me that Behemoth has a live show scheduled for October 31 in Beijing, I can't seem to find any official information about it but if its true, sadly I don't think I'll be able to make it.
And what the hell is going on with the MIDI Festival? Is it still in October? Is it still cancelled? Who do I have to sleep with to get my all-access pass etc?
----
Stick this up your fucking pee-aitch-dee.
23.09.2008 - 19:01
Ernis
狼獾
I looked at some home page of the event and it appears to be in October but this year at the Olympic area....dunno bout the prices tho...Yang spoke something but I think he knows better about the event....
I watched Behemoth's page and I didn't see any information concerning a gig here...
11.10.2008 - 23:52
Linak
I Own You Bitch
You know, we really got to make Yang post in here cause he's the true, one and only chinese metalstormer here haha, we should post some pics you know, I've got some pretty smokin pics of me playing with Yang's guns mwahaha
dirrrrty dirrrrty metalstormers, nono, real guns, at least I think they were real, were they real Yang Yang?
Lets post some luuuuuv
----
12.10.2008 - 11:09
Valentin B
Iconoclast
hahahahaha, it's only you 2 guys and you're not even chinese LOL
15.10.2008 - 16:46
Ernis
狼獾
No shite....whenever I look in a mirror I'm surprised that I've got European eyes.....

But Linak's right.....Yang needs to be brought posting here....fast!
19.10.2008 - 14:43
Noel Sonic
Account deleted
Well, as far as I know, 1 of 1,000 students in college loves Metal, it's pretty small proportion...(Exclue Nu-Metal...)
19.10.2008 - 15:51
Ernis
狼獾
Written by [user id=24654] on 19.10.2008 at 14:43

Well, as far as I know, 1 of 1,000 students in college loves Metal, it's pretty small proportion...(Exclue Nu-Metal...)

But well....at least we have you : )

And all 1000 college students would be too much anyway....

Anyhow...visited 华山 (Flower mountain) on Friday and Saturday...took my getoblastah with good batteries up to the mountaintop and let Epica (and The Gathering and Nightwish and Borknagar...) sound up there above the clouds...especially Epica...can anyone just imagine a more epic place for their works to sound at....
20.10.2008 - 13:08
Baz Anderson
Staff
I don't know, I wouldn't mind you bringing a thousand college students in. Hahahaha.
31.10.2008 - 18:34
yang
Here i come m/
31.10.2008 - 19:03
yang
That is true that metal fans are rare in China, partly because we don't have metal music distribution channel here, for example, good and famous music label like Nuclear Blast, and partly because chinese metal bands do not have own or innovative sound of metal music. I remember on last year MIDI festival, almost all chinese bands on the stage played either metalcore or gothic metal. For the former, their sound was not attacking enough and less of melody. For the latter, all sounded like Within Temptation. At that time, metalcore and gothic female-fronted metal are world's trend. It made me feel that bands in China are just copycat. Lack of creation in metal, in my opinion, more or less related to lack of education in chinese metal musicians, not all but at least some. They feel that to drop out of school to pursue music fantasy is heroic and admirable actions. Personally, i disagree. Just as writing a good article, composing a good piece of music requires profound musical and instrumental knowledge and years of practices, experience and hard-working. I really wish a couple of great chinese metal bands can rise from underground in the near future, just as Sonic Syndicate did.
31.10.2008 - 19:16
Ernis
狼獾
Written by yang on 31.10.2008 at 19:03

That is true that metal fans are rare in China, partly because we don't have metal music distribution channel here, for example, good and famous music label like Nuclear Blast, and partly because chinese metal bands do not have own or innovative sound of metal music. I remember on last year MIDI festival, almost all chinese bands on the stage played either metalcore or gothic metal. For the former, their sound was not attacking enough and less of melody. For the latter, all sounded like Within Temptation. At that time, metalcore and gothic female-fronted metal are world's trend. It made me feel that bands in China are just copycat. Lack of creation in metal, in my opinion, more or less related to lack of education in chinese metal musicians, not all but at least some. They feel that to drop out of school to pursue music fantasy is heroic and admirable actions. Personally, i disagree. Just as writing a good article, composing a good piece of music requires profound musical and instrumental knowledge and years of practices, experience and hard-working. I really wish a couple of great chinese metal bands can rise from underground in the near future, just as Sonic Syndicate did.

Yes I agree here....at the same time China has such a profound cultural baggage which shouldn't be left unnoticed nor unused and bands here should surely take this as a big advantage and create something original which bears the Chinese stamp on it....I dunno....heavily epic wuxia metal....tibetan folk black metal...there are actually so many ideas to be used and so much good to be created....
I once listened to a song by Elvenking ("Penny Dreadful" that was...a cover, if I ain't mistaking....)...for a second there, it had such a Chinese sound because of the stringed instruments the sound of which could serve as a founding characteristic of Chinese metal...also...why not use traditional instruments and just add the metal basis....

I dunno bout the goth metal....however, I doubt that all those female-fronted bands manage to perform gothic style....It may be something inspired of Nightwish or LATER Within Temptation but I doubt it has got lots of quality gothic characteristics in it....but I'm always open to discover something new....I'd be glad to hear good Chinese gothic acts....

So far, indeed, the Chinese musical scene contains a lot of softer rock, metalcore, female-fronted metal and some underground extreme bands plus the ruling majority of pop-music.....
03.11.2008 - 07:23
Ernis
狼獾
Good people...anyone going to see Voodoo Kungfu? Seems they ain't going to play in Beijing which means that the closest place where they play would be Hohhot which is bout 10 hours away from here....dang....

In my last post, btw, I pointed out China has potential to make grand music....here's one proof....Mongolian folk influenced extreme metal....
03.11.2008 - 10:35
Baz Anderson
Staff
Yeh, that band played at Wacken - Daniel covered their show with pictures.. it is in the Wacken review for this year. I didn't see them there, but I saw the pictures and what he wrote and had to have a little listen to them... interesting stuff.
03.11.2008 - 16:09
Linak
I Own You Bitch
I would LOVE to go to Hohhot, I've been planning a trip there for a while and I'm dying to go, sadly I won't make it to see Voodoo Kungfu, but luckily for me I've already seen them mwahah and and it was a killer show in a small venue, so small it was in fact that there was only one tiny little bathroom and when I had to pee the whole floor was full of fake blood, now that was metal as shit mahaha
----
03.11.2008 - 19:35
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Linak on 03.11.2008 at 16:09

there was only one tiny little bathroom and when I had to pee the whole floor was full of fake blood, now that was metal as shit mahaha

Where was it anyway?
Seems like China has the most brootal bathrooms ever.....
22.01.2009 - 16:21
Otherguy
Get in,I hope it's not late.

Written by Ernis on 31.10.2008 at 19:16

I once listened to a song by Elvenking ("Penny Dreadful" that was...a cover, if I ain't mistaking....)...for a second there, it had such a Chinese sound because of the stringed instruments the sound of which could serve as a founding characteristic of Chinese metal...also...why not use traditional instruments and just add the metal basis....

I dunno bout the goth metal....however, I doubt that all those female-fronted bands manage to perform gothic style....It may be something inspired of Nightwish or LATER Within Temptation but I doubt it has got lots of quality gothic characteristics in it....but I'm always open to discover something new....I'd be glad to hear good Chinese gothic acts....

So far, indeed, the Chinese musical scene contains a lot of softer rock, metalcore, female-fronted metal and some underground extreme bands plus the ruling majority of pop-music.....

I remember ChthoniC,a melodic-black metal band form Taiwan,they use Erhu,have good female vocals,good melody with Chinese classic music influence,but the lyric reflects Taiwanese nationalism and anti-han-Chinese:(
goth metal,oh,there are some such bands but they don't have impressive characteristic.
Mongolian folk influenced extreme metal?Lingyi has a special vocal with Mongolian influence,It is a mysterious band.but I only like the first song and the last song of their album Voodoo Kungfu.As for folk metal,there is a good single band named Empylver from Xi'an.
Here is the highlight of Chinese metal music in 2008
Explosicum - Conflict,old school thrash metal
王三溥(Kasasis)-横云·踏月(Horizontal clouds,above the moon) the album name is my translation.neo-classical/symphonic metal.
22.01.2009 - 17:00
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Otherguy on 22.01.2009 at 16:21

Get in,I hope it's not late.
I remember ChthoniC,a melodic-black metal band form Taiwan,they use Erhu,have good female vocals,good melody with Chinese classic music influence,but the lyric reflects Taiwanese nationalism and anti-han-Chinese:(
goth metal,oh,there are some such bands but they don't have impressive characteristic.
Mongolian folk influenced extreme metal?Lingyi has a special vocal with Mongolian influence,It is a mysterious band.but I only like the first song and the last song of their album Voodoo Kungfu.As for folk metal,there is a good single band named Empylver from Xi'an.
Here is the highlight of Chinese metal music in 2008
Explosicum - Conflict,old school thrash metal
王三溥(Kasasis)-横云·踏月(Horizontal clouds,above the moon) the album name is my translation.neo-classical/symphonic metal.

I remember Chthonic....they had a gig in Estonia some years ago....I remember the hype over the "Thousands of people held hands in Taiwan to form a human line just like the thousands of Estonians, Latvians and Lithuanians did years ago!" They pulled off the idea of expressing oneself by bringing together masses of people holding hands....Estonians came together and held hands forming a hundreds of kilometres long line stretching through three countries in order to express the will of leaving Soviet Union....Speaking of Taiwan I don't see the reason of bitching from either side since all are Chinese after all from one big China....the sole difference happens to be in the governments.....that's offtopic anyhow...

Thanks for the suggestions...I already got to know bout Voodoo Kungfu...meanwhile I also found the group Linak introduced, Tang Dynasty....
25.01.2009 - 19:49
Ernis
狼獾
Anyway......to all of us out there....

HAPPY YEAR!!!!!
11.04.2009 - 06:16
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Hey, does Hong Kong count as China?

I was reading Hobbit Viggo and yang's post.

Would be super interesting to incoperate Chinese sounds into metal, no matter the traditional 二胡,古箏,琵琶 etc or probably more folky ones from the vast tribal cultures we've got in China.

but i guess it'll be more of a dream really... can't really imagine those that still play those kind of folk instruments who are probably still rather tied to their culture hv exposure to metal before...

The closest thing that comes to mind is Hamka (the name is some Tibetan Goddess), but I have no idea what instruments they are using, though it is a refreshing change
----
loves 小巫
25.04.2009 - 12:25
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Ag Fox on 11.04.2009 at 06:16

Hey, does Hong Kong count as China?

Well....guess it does in some way....
HK's a lovely town, spent part of school holidays there....

What you wrote bout blending folk instruments with metal is true...the sound would be very good and interesting, especially with 古琴.... my own 民族 also has similar instruments such as 古琴 but with a slightly different sound and so far what I've heard it sounds good within metal compositions....

Thanks for mentioning the Tibetan Hamka, would like to check it some time....
26.04.2009 - 01:42
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Oo... what 族 are you?
be prepared, the band Hamka itself is from France rather than actually native Tibet, just with some exotic influences
----
loves 小巫
26.04.2009 - 11:03
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Ag Fox on 26.04.2009 at 01:42

Oo... what 族 are you?
be prepared, the band Hamka itself is from France rather than actually native Tibet, just with some exotic influences

爱沙尼亚族...I'm actually from Estonia which is in Eastern Europe south of Finland and west of Russia and north of Latvia, I ain't Indo-European tho, language belongs to Uralic language family....nah, they've taken me for 新疆人 in Beijing....
Dang...and I was already hoping for Hamka to be genuine 藏族音乐...
What 民族 are you yourself? Seeing your location's UK, are you 华裔?
26.04.2009 - 17:45
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Ah... so you are essentially Estonian living in China.
新疆人sounds cool though. Think I've met some when I went to Xi An.
I erm... lived in Hong Kong for 17 years, Dad's from Shanghai, so I guess I'm Shanghainese, though I don't speak the language until recently cuz my girlfriend is...
Been in UK studying for well over 3 years now, hence the location
----
loves 小巫
26.04.2009 - 19:14
Ernis
狼獾
All right....anyhow, no matter whether from UK or some other place, it's good to have Chinese-speakers here and people who have ties with China....
Bout Shanghainese, it sounded like Spanish for me (but incomprehensible)... and Cantonese for me sounds like Australian English (also incomprehensible)....the only people in Hong Kong who understood Mandarin, was a Taiwanese dude whom I saw in hostel and some tourists from Singapore who were on their way to Macao....
I would like to understand Cantonese one day tho....
27.04.2009 - 06:19
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
When you start watching Canto TV series, you would Seriously... how can you compare Cantonese with Australian English????
Shanghainese sounded like gibberish to me as well at first cuz I never got taught when I was young, but once I get some basic vocab, I can understand like 30% of it now while listening

Anyway, has anyone here checked out Ego Fall - Spirit of Mongolia yet?
I hvn't, and I don't hv time at da mo, maybe someone here can give it a shot
----
loves 小巫
27.04.2009 - 18:50
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Ag Fox on 27.04.2009 at 06:19

how can you compare Cantonese with Australian English????

It has relatively similar sounds....

Well, they've told me my own language sounds like Turkish and Mongolian altho I don't notice it myself unless I try to listen to it as if I were a not native speaker....and when I do that, well yeh, the sounds are basically same indeed....
29.04.2009 - 13:16
Linak
I Own You Bitch
Viggo! Are you going to Midi fest??? This weekend come oonnnn its in Zhenjiang, 3 days total, I don't have enough casy atm to go the whole three days but anyways the bands I wanna see perform on the 3rd day, that is, this sunday and I'm excited! Going or not? I think it's worth it hehe, anyway yeah, alright
----
30.04.2009 - 20:58
Ernis
狼獾
Nah, I think I ain't going....besides AK-47 I don't know any other band which doesn't give me that much motivation to go, plus it's quite far, plus I'm lazy.....
05.10.2009 - 04:10
FOOCK Nam
Is F4 still alive ?