Metal Storm logo
The 3rd And The Mortal

01.08.2006 - 20:28
Damnated
Churchburner
There are bands that are so simple but also, so amazing. The 3rd And The Mortal is one of those bands. The music is very atmospheric, but sometimes it sounds like as if they were demented. Demented in the good sort of way. The vocals manage to send chills down my spine. Their best album IMO is In This Room, the songs are like puzzles, they fit perfectly next to each other. The druming is almost entirely improvised, this gives a very jazzy feaing to the music. So discuss them.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
02.08.2006 - 01:38
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
I have not heard much of their later work, just the early albums. "Tears Laid In Earth" is one of my favourite releases of doom metal, ever. So atmospheric and engaging. All instruments (and the voice) work together to create one brilliant soundscape!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
02.08.2006 - 02:32
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Susan on 02.08.2006 at 01:38

I have not heard much of their later work, just the early albums.

You should . I myself didn't listen to poject Bluebook, but I think it's more of a compilation then an album
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
02.08.2006 - 02:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Susan on 02.08.2006 at 01:38

I have not heard much of their later work, just the early albums. "Tears Laid In Earth" is one of my favourite releases of doom metal, ever. So atmospheric and engaging. All instruments (and the voice) work together to create one brilliant soundscape!

Me too I realy love first 2 or 3 albums because its more doom, atmosfere, poetry in songs, i dont want say last albums arnt poetic, lyrics, but music, seems thay coppy Theatre Of tragedy, and I dont like it, in old forum Ivor post some about kari's solo prokect and there was my and Ivor discusion, I dont remeber what I sad, but just wanna say, bant in begining are great, seems Im born to late, to be in my :naught: age

Damnated agrie, In nothing wgainst Jazz, I better listen jazz how nu metal :rollin: but if band start so great and change their style its no good, i dont like it, and agrie somgs are like puzzles, I like thgem when its dark, rainy, grey in room, in autumn, but when outside I can wear my leather jacket, its best time for listen them, but when freezing Kari can warm(oppposite to freeze, dunno howe spell) up me
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.08.2006 - 03:04
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Bad English on 02.08.2006 at 02:35

seems thay coppy Theatre Of tragedy

I never listened to ToT, what did you hear?

Damnated agrie, In nothing wgainst Jazz, I better listen jazz how nu metal :rollin: but if band start so great and change their style its no good, i dont like it, and agrie somgs are like puzzles, I like thgem when its dark, rainy, grey in room, in autumn, but when outside I can wear my leather jacket, its best time for listen them, but when freezing Kari can warm(oppposite to freeze, dunno howe spell) up me

Usually I hate jazz, but In This Room kinda jazz is good. I have to listen to the older albums though, as I didn't focus that much on them. And I see, you guys like them very much.
----

02.08.2006 - 03:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 02.08.2006 at 03:04

Usually I hate jazz, but In This Room kinda jazz is good. I have to listen to the older albums though, as I didn't focus that much on them. And I see, you guys like them very much.

I better listen real Jazz how them new albums, but belive me jazz are better how nu metal, etliest people know how play music
----

apos;'
[image]
02.08.2006 - 03:20
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Bad English on 02.08.2006 at 03:08

Written by Damnated on 02.08.2006 at 03:04

I better listen real Jazz how them new albums, but belive me jazz are better how nu metal, etliest people know how play music

Nah, I get bored with jazz after a while, but I agree, that it's better then Nü-Metal. Jazz rock is good, but you need a mood for it
----

02.08.2006 - 03:29
Daru Jericho
I've only got their 'Painting On Glass' album. I've listened to it a couple of times (nowhere near enough) but I enjoyed it a lot. I think this band could be one of my favourite doomish bands if I give them a lot more of a listen. Ah Norway have so many good bands.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

02.08.2006 - 15:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Damnated yes you need mood for it, but some good wine make wright mood
Daru Jericho, its good album, but Norvay and all Scandinavian scene are overated, Damnated agrie whit me, french, italina and german scene are better, because moust bands play better, but are unknow
----

apos;'
[image]
02.08.2006 - 16:38
Damnated
Churchburner
Did anyone notice that In The Woods has some similar songs to The 3rd And The Mortal? BTW, Scandinavian doom isn't so good, that's is why this band is so underrated.
----

02.08.2006 - 21:09
Ivor
Staff
Kariasakis, we talked about The 3rd and the Mortal. I'll be repeating myself but I'll say it again, that The 3rd and the Mortal is one of the dearest bands to me and their first EP and album are my favourites. Not only because of the more guitar driven approach but more importantly because of Kari Rueslatten who is amazing singer. However, if I once mentioned that "Memoirs" went too far for me I'll have to take my words back. Just last week I listened to it at work and found myself amazed how cool it sounded. Seems, the time was ripe. Taking into account that the latest The Gathering albums have quite similar approach to music "Memoirs" somehow became more accessible to me. However, period with Kari Rueslatten rules. Same goes for her solo works. And I am yet to get my hands on her latest solo album.

I.
26.08.2006 - 15:00
Ireth Alcarin
Account deleted
I don't know what is the problem if the band doesn't do always the same music and takes some influence. I would say that this is what makes them grow... and this is what Mortal do. Then it's just your choice if you continue listening to them and explore their newer works or just end up saying "this is not metal so it must be a crap". They've always put some emotion in the song and you can always recognize their trademark. But someone up remarked that they coppy Theatre Of Tragedy - I say: man, you're RIDICULOUS!
26.08.2006 - 23:37
Windshear
Account deleted
I've heard a 30 second clip of "Autopoema," then I dedicated the last two years trying to find Tears Laid in Earth. Then my out of state pal introduced me into torrent software... I should be getting it soon.
26.08.2006 - 23:41
Damnated
Churchburner
Or try P2P progs. Or you'll never get Project Bluebook, wich is more a comp then an album, but still, worth listening.
----

26.08.2006 - 23:45
Windshear
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 26.08.2006 at 23:41

Or try P2P progs. Or you'll never get Project Bluebook, wich is more a comp then an album, but still, worth listening.

You know, dude... I Try to install P2P stuff on my computer and it cuts off midway! It's really frustrating!
26.08.2006 - 23:50
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by [user id=15907] on 26.08.2006 at 23:45

You know, dude... I Try to install P2P stuff on my computer and it cuts off midway! It's really frustrating!

Try Soulseek. It's the best. Be shure to download the 156v though.
----

27.08.2006 - 17:25
Windshear
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 26.08.2006 at 23:50

Written by [user id=15907] on 26.08.2006 at 23:45

Try Soulseek. It's the best. Be shure to download the 156v though.

Dude, Thanks! I'm getting it now and I'm in tears at Autopoema!

And how long is Vandring, because mine cuts off in the middle I think
27.08.2006 - 17:29
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by [user id=15907] on 27.08.2006 at 17:25

Come again
----

28.08.2006 - 01:29
Windshear
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 27.08.2006 at 17:29

Written by [user id=15907] on 27.08.2006 at 17:25

Come again

Never Mind, I got it figured out. Almost done getting Oceana.
21.09.2006 - 21:45
ylside
Staff
Just recently got into them, Painting On Glass is great ! Getting "Sorrow" and "Tears Laid In Earth" at the moment.
23.08.2007 - 13:20
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
I really like Memoirs. Great album, very estranging and sad atmosphere. The singing is quite extraordinary but not bad at all, it's unique!
Songs like Good Evening Mr. Q, The City and Thin Dark Line send chills through me. I love it!
I also had a listen to some earlier albums like In This Room and Painting On The Glass. I like In This Room too, but I haven't listened well enough.
Does their first album contain any grunts by the way?
13.10.2007 - 13:32
Esoptron
Account deleted
I have the Ep"Sorrow" and"Tears Laid in Earth" and i have to admit that The 3rd and the Mortal are indeed a great band(or i would say better they were a great band)...They combine psuchedelic atmosfaire with melodic doom...Guitars are very well written and the whole composements make you be carried in a journey of mystery and melancholy...Karin has a very beautiful voice and adds the sweetness when singing...I believe that they are underrated though,people who are into doom metal generally dont even know them maybe because they changed their style at later albums...Great band
13.10.2007 - 20:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=26341] on 13.10.2007 at 13:32

I have the Ep"Sorrow" and"Tears Laid in Earth" and i have to admit that The 3rd and the Mortal are indeed a great band(or i would say better they were a great band)...They combine psuchedelic atmosfaire with melodic doom...Guitars are very well written and the whole composements make you be carried in a journey of mystery and melancholy...Karin has a very beautiful voice and adds the sweetness when singing...I believe that they are underrated though,people who are into doom metal generally dont even know them maybe because they changed their style at later albums...Great band

Totaly i agree whit it mouts original abnd in that time when thay was acctive and firts whit female vocals in metal andalso poetical lyrics, beautifull band
----

apos;'
[image]
24.11.2007 - 12:22
Damnated
Churchburner
Haven't listened to this band for months. Now In This Room is playing, and i'm realizing, again, how great this band is/was. does anybody now anything about they're future projects? if they have any or not
----

24.11.2007 - 15:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 24.11.2007 at 12:22

Haven't listened to this band for months. Now In This Room is playing, and i'm realizing, again, how great this band is/was. does anybody now anything about they're future projects? if they have any or not

I dont know because home page last time was updated in 2004
----

apos;'
[image]
24.11.2007 - 16:01
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Bad English on 24.11.2007 at 15:55

yeah, that's why i'm asking. MA sais they're still active, but since there haven't been any news, i'm wondering if this is the reality..
----

24.11.2007 - 16:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 24.11.2007 at 16:01

Written by Bad English on 24.11.2007 at 15:55

yeah, that's why i'm asking. MA sais they're still active, but since there haven't been any news, i'm wondering if this is the reality..

MA well Im not shore if we can trust to MA about some band genres, members and stuff, but I realy dunno, seems thay are silantly active
----

apos;'
[image]
21.03.2008 - 09:25
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Okay, it had been several years since I'd really listened to The 3rd And The Mortal's "Tears Laid In Earth" regularly. However, last week, I was talking to a girl about metal, and she asked me for some CDs that have a genuine, original atmosphere to them, and after a few minutes, "Tears Laid In Earth" was one of the CDs I recommended quite enthusiastically. And of course I have now been listening to it constantly, rediscovering how great Kari's vocals are and the exceptional lyrics of "Autopoema." The melodies are so soft, yet so somber. I can't really think of another disc that manages to mix the concepts of independence with sadness so fluidly.

Does anyone have any recommendations for other CDs from the band, since I know Kari left after this album, and it seemed the band evolved into different sounds afterward...?
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
22.03.2008 - 09:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Jason W. on 21.03.2008 at 09:25

Does anyone have any recommendations for other CDs from the band, since I know Kari left after this album, and it seemed the band evolved into different sounds afterward...?

From this band no because Kari is only reason why I love band, but try Luminaria EP ''Luminaria''
I hade it if you need it, also Dis Pater ''Princese of Emerald garden'' in band home page are all album
----

apos;'
[image]
22.03.2008 - 11:28
Ivor
Staff
Written by Jason W. on 21.03.2008 at 09:25

You could try listening to the following albums. The band evolved and their new singer is quite a talent. What actually happens is that band goes off in the experimental direction and there are songs that sound really crazy. Try listening to all the albums and let us know what you think of them. There's a different flavour to each one of them.

I.