03. Abscission
04. Dearth
05. Phosphene
06. Epiklesis II
07. Malconfort
08. Have You Beheld The Fevers?
09. Devouring Famine
10. Apokatastasis Pantôn

Deathspell Omega's Paracletus was certainly one of the most anticipated Black metal releases of 2010. With a history such as theirs come high expectations. Expectations they do not live up to.

Whoops. Did I just spoil the ending for you?

No, Paracletus does not live up to the expectations, but that's no surprise really, when the expectations are so unbelievably high. There's no shame in that. Unfortunately, in my opinion Deathspell Omega also disappoints in terms of delivered insanity and intensity.

The cover art promises a lot - a raging ball of hissing snakes spawning from a fiery mouth. A very accurate depiction of their sound (later era) - a chaotic noise fest of dissonance guitar lashings, spiteful roars and thunder like drums. The music is quite different though - while there's still more chaos and dissonance than in many other Black metal bands, there's also a touch of... I don't know... softness? Paracletus sounds much... nicer than their previous work. As if they fused with Pelican or Mono... what the fuck? Yeah, while you'd be wrong to classify this as Post-Rock, there's definitely much, much more melody and feeling in this new album. And I'm not going to make it a secret that I miss the vicious brutality of Kénôse.

However, judged on its own merit - a chaotic, sonic Black metal assault, Paracletus is definitely a very good and fun album. The riffs are still mind-boggling (though less than before), the chaos is still overwhelming (though less than before), the vocals are still thundering and emotive (though less than before), the complexity of the songs/album is still something to marvel at (though less than before), the overall product is still very impressive and worthwhile (though less than before)... you know where I'm going with this, don't you?

Bottomline: a new direction for Deathspell Omega (maybe not the most desired one, but remember, that is not our decision to make) and a good and enjoyable album, with plenty of great stuff going on.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written on 11.11.2010 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 36   Visited by: 436 users
11.11.2010 - 21:56
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
That was quick, and with a higher score than I expected.

This is the end of the proposed trilogy anyway so perhaps they (or rather he: Hasjarl) didn't want to evolve the sound too much. Perhaps whatever comes next will be a bit different.

You bolloxed up the coding as well boy
11.11.2010 - 22:03
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by [user id=4365] on 11.11.2010 at 21:56

That was quick, and with a higher score than I expected.

This is the end of the proposed trilogy anyway so perhaps they (or rather he: Hasjarl) didn't want to evolve the sound too much. Perhaps whatever comes next will be a bit different.

Yeah I've been listening non-stop lol.

You know, I'm still torn on this album and I guess I'll always be. I don't like it, whenever I think of Deathspell Omega I think of Kenose and how brilliant it is. But it is a good album. I just don't like it. But I enjoy it, as soon as I forget it is DsO...

I was torn between an 8 and an 8.5, and I opted for the 8.5... my rating of the album swings somewhere between those two numbers.

Quote:

You bolloxed up the coding as well boy

Whoops, thanks.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
11.11.2010 - 22:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Believe me I know the feeling. It's how I've always felt about Blut aus Nord's MV:II record. I know it's a decent album but I still don't like it.

We'll always have Kenose at least...
11.11.2010 - 22:11
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Fuck it an 8 is more appropriate. I foresee changing it many many times lol.

Definitely. As a matter of fact, I'm going put it on now!
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Lucas on 11.11.2010 at 22:03

You know, I'm still torn on this album and I guess I'll always be. I don't like it, whenever I think of Deathspell Omega I think of Kenose and how brilliant it is. But it is a good album. I just don't like it. But I enjoy it, as soon as I forget it is DsO...

I just don't like it, but I enjoy it... Maybe my english is wrong because I don't get that line dude How can you enjoy something you don't like unless you are masochist or something?

Anyway, This quote makes me think this is another case of "this album would be brilliant if it was done by another band". I can live with that since I don't really care about the name
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Haha, cheeky git xD
11.11.2010 - 22:17
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.11.2010 at 22:11

Written by Lucas on 11.11.2010 at 22:03

I just don't like it, but I enjoy it... Maybe my english is wrong because I don't get that line dude How can you enjoy something you don't like unless you are masochist or something?

Anyway, This quote makes me think this is another case of "this album would be brilliant if it was done by another band". I can live with that since I don't really care about the name

It's exactly what I mean. The album is good (not brilliant), but because it's Deathspell Omega I find it disappointing. I'm not letting the rating get influenced too much by that. If I am going to judge this against their previous work, I'd rate it around 6.
----

11.11.2010 - 22:23
Rating: 9
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
I think i will have to agree with the review! (Though less than before) it has this something on me Wonderfully written as well The final song was the most appropriate closure of the trilogy, it holds an obscure vibe of melody to my ears and the title as well, apokatastasis panton => restoration of everything! And the cover artwork stroke me down, as expressed through the review as well. There's an orthodox church hymn that goes like this in free translation, "My God, Paracletus, Spirit of Truth"
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
11.11.2010 - 22:52
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I haven only given it a few listens, but i agree with the 8 assessment. It's DSO, so expectations are ridiculously high... but the overall score is a nice mix of "scoring it against their prior works" as well as "scoring it against the rest of the field."
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
11.11.2010 - 22:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by KwonVerge on 11.11.2010 at 22:23

The final song was the most appropriate closure of the trilogy, it holds an obscure vibe of melody to my ears and the title as well, apokatastasis panton => restoration of everything!

That was the biggest surprise of the record for me. I do like that track a lot actually.
11.11.2010 - 22:57
Rating: 10
Mikyz
Well it's your opinion, I for one really did enjoy their change of pace, they have already shown us how chaotic and intense their music can be, I think that by slowing their pace down and by opting for a softer approach they ended the trilogy with finesse. I've been listening to this non stop since I got it, and I'm not planning to stop anytime soon.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
11.11.2010 - 22:58
Rating: 9
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
Written by [user id=4365] on 11.11.2010 at 22:55

Written by KwonVerge on 11.11.2010 at 22:23

The final song was the most appropriate closure of the trilogy, it holds an obscure vibe of melody to my ears and the title as well, apokatastasis panton => restoration of everything!

That was the biggest surprise of the record for me. I do like that track a lot actually.

Yeah, it was a big surprise to me as well! And a good one indeed!
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
12.11.2010 - 02:22
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Deathspell Omega is this kind of band that has fans who expect a lot from it. We always want the band to outdo themselves, to beat their last (or recent) brilliant release. In this case, it is Kenose that most of us expected DsO to beat. They didn't. But still, it's a very good release, and if it didn't have DsO as its author, we'd like it even more. But it's DsO's fault that they got us used to such high quality

Great review and rating that almost matches mine - I'd give it an 8,5.
12.11.2010 - 18:53
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Mono huh? I'm checking this out
----
loves 小巫
12.11.2010 - 22:03
Derelict Earth
Good review. Paracletus is a really good album but it doesn't seems as deep as Fas or Kenose.
13.11.2010 - 07:41
DahliaRock
Hmm.. for some reason I really enjoy it, I like the diversity, I know that it sounds not as awesome as Kenose or Fas, but I feel like it is something quite different too, thus feel that the album should be considered on its own rather than compared to the previous sounds. But that's just my opinion, I still like your review. I just don't like to get biased by other albums; if it knocks your teeth out, it does.. =)
13.11.2010 - 12:12
TheBigRossowski
I haven't checked it out yet, but it's on my wishlist. We'll see, I'm sure I'll still be pleased with the end result.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
14.11.2010 - 04:16
GTCarlson
I think it's actually my favorite of the trilogy, but who knows if it will stay that way after a year or if its just "new album syndrome". Regardless I really enjoy the direction the trilogy has gone. SMRC was just pure evil then came FAS incredibly disturbing and violent, and then Paracletus come and melds those two feelings and resolves them. I just listened to Kenos-SMRC-Fas-Paracletus last night and I would say the trilogy is capped off just as Return of the King caps off the lord of the rings.
15.11.2010 - 03:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Mmmm, you should have taken a lot more time to let this one sink in and you would have noticed some very important things.
Just one day is nit enough.
How come there's no mention of riffs that are used here which have been used on both SMRC and Fas? Quite logical imo since this is the last part of the trilogy of which Kenose and the other eps were not really a part.
Also its short duration of less than 45 minutes is a great plus cause it makes you wanna go back to it.
After a gazzilion listens I daresay this album is btter than Fas and just below SMRC. fas is the worst of the three.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.11.2010 - 12:24
InnerSelf
proofread free
I found it pleasantly easy and surprising . I don't want another Kenose and those new post metal elements give it an edge, it seems that it is never going to get boring
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
15.11.2010 - 20:08
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.11.2010 at 03:44

Mmmm, you should have taken a lot more time to let this one sink in and you would have noticed some very important things.
Just one day is nit enough.
How come there's no mention of riffs that are used here which have been used on both SMRC and Fas? Quite logical imo since this is the last part of the trilogy of which Kenose and the other eps were not really a part.
Also its short duration of less than 45 minutes is a great plus cause it makes you wanna go back to it.
After a gazzilion listens I daresay this album is btter than Fas and just below SMRC. fas is the worst of the three.

I disagree. I've continued listening to it (and Kenose, not so much Fas & SMRC though) and my opinion hasn't changed. And I dare to bet my life on it that it will not. As for the re-used riffs, well, what's so great about that?

I personally don't give two cents about this being a trilogy, an album is music to me and an individual piece to me. I don't care about lyrical concepts (I do care about 'sonic' concepts though) and I thought this album was very dissappointing (yet still good, as i've said before) compared to their previous work.
----

17.11.2010 - 12:38
It's a good album but let's face it. there's not much diversity here, atonal riffs then a slower passage then again atonal riffs etc etc etc It's an 8 for me
17.11.2010 - 18:07
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Dunno about SMRC or Kenos, but I've only heard fas before and I'd say this is a lot more enjoyable. Really like the new Post direction
----
loves 小巫
25.11.2010 - 20:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Listen to the entire trilogy chronologically back to back so starting with SMRC and ending with Paracletus, but without an interruption so 166+ minutes of DSOon the trot.
I know it's along haul, nut let me guarantee you it's worth it and so much more things on all three albums suddenly make much more sense and get an entire different meaning. And then all the Paracletus naysayers will realize what a perfect closer to the trilogy Paracletus is.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.12.2010 - 23:49
Ragana
Rawrcat
What a letdown, huh?
I'm actually talking about the review, you can do a lot better than this.

Anyway, since everybody's talking about some damn trilogy, I'll be the first who doesn't. (the others, unlike me, have heard it all though) This is the second time I actually hear any of Deathspell Omega's albums. Wasn't impressed the first time and I also thought it'll end the same way this time... The first two (or three?) tracks of this album I don't get and I'd like to say they fucking suck but instead I'll just say I don't enjoy that chaos. Because of that I had to change the way I listen to albums and start listening from the middle, but it indeed helped - the rest of the stuff seemed good, especially the last track that somebody already mentioned. My only concern now is that I have no idea what the lyrics are about. Or the trilogy.
24.12.2010 - 01:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
@ragana, what chaos? There is no chaos in the music, it's totally structured. Not in a tradiitional metal way but in a more jazz way, but structured it certainly is.

@lucas, what has Kenose to do with this album? Not a single thhing cause it's no part of the trilogy. It's like mentioning the Matrix part 2 when talking about LotR The Return Of The King. return Of The King in itself might be a disappointment and should br considered in the entire context of the LotR trilogy that same mindset should be applied to Paracletus imo. Becasue that's how the artists most probably intended it and not as a stand alone entity. But then again we'll never know since they don't do any interviews and especially not on the trlogy. The only thing you'll get out of them on that is "let the trilogy speak as a whole"
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.12.2010 - 01:47
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Ragana on 23.12.2010 at 23:49

The first two (or three?) tracks of this album I don't get and I'd like to say they fucking suck but instead I'll just say I don't enjoy that chaos.

Same as Marcel, i has structure but not in the traditional way. If you want to listen to something less chaotic you can listen to Kenose or Si Monumentum
----
Rod, let me love you.
24.12.2010 - 01:52
Ragana
Rawrcat
Your ears might think it's "totally structured" but I'm pretty sure we don't share them.

// Ya, I got the hint, I'm about to do so... soon.
24.12.2010 - 15:01
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
@marcel. Matrix and lotr? What? Kenose is a Dso album so imo it has everything to do with this album. Not part of the trilogy, but part of their discography nonetheless.
----

25.12.2010 - 21:16
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I want to try the thing that Marcel did: To listen to the trilogy from first song to the last one. I do believe that it will make more sense then.
----
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 13661 | This month: 21