5 - Part Five - Epiphany
    6 - Part Six - Origin
04. Sunrise
05. April
06. Eden

Guest review by
Unhealer
Rating:
The word "djent" has been on lots of lips recently. Fans, haters, and unbelievers have a word or two regarding what apparently is a growing branch of the metal scene, "accidentally" referred to after an onomatopoeia. Whatever is your opinion on this, it's undeniable that there is a rather talented group of bands revolving around the concept of taking Meshuggah's legacy to further extents, and Tesseract is one of the first bands of the pack that have caught the attention of a considerable amount of ears by pursuing this task.

Read more ››
published 19.04.2012 | Comments (7)

Found in 28 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 37   Visited by: 903 users
09.02.2011 - 15:36
Rating: 8
MeloDeathViking
I have my copy pre-ordered!
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
17.03.2011 - 13:13
BudDa
Elite
I want this one as well
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
18.03.2011 - 17:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
So this basically the decent (but not spectacular) Concealing Fate demo/EP, whatever it is, with a few rather average and repetitive tracks tacked on?

More fool me.

I don't get it. I mean I get it but I just don't. Again it's a decent record but they're exploiting that ridiculous "djent" concept with no real flair for songwriting. Basically all the songs waver between some low-end, samey chugging Meshuggah-isms (without the drive or energy) and the many clean atmospheric passages which are massively over employed to the point where they lose their meaning. Oh yeah, the SikTh vocal style is bled dry too. At no point in this record do I feel like I'm listening to a band who've established their own style but rather a pastiche of other bands who've proven their worth with original sounds and songwriting. I'd say just stick with the EP, and grab the new Protest The Hero which is actually pretty incredible, then sit back and watch how overinflated this band becomes despite not really having any new ideas of their own
19.03.2011 - 19:55
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Written by [user id=4365] on 18.03.2011 at 17:37

So this basically the decent (but not spectacular) Concealing Fate demo/EP, whatever it is, with a few rather average and repetitive tracks tacked on?

More fool me.

I don't get it. I mean I get it but I just don't. Again it's a decent record but they're exploiting that ridiculous "djent" concept with no real flair for songwriting. Basically all the songs waver between some low-end, samey chugging Meshuggah-isms (without the drive or energy) and the many clean atmospheric passages which are massively over employed to the point where they lose their meaning. Oh yeah, the SikTh vocal style is bled dry too. At no point in this record do I feel like I'm listening to a band who've established their own style but rather a pastiche of other bands who've proven their worth with original sounds and songwriting. I'd say just stick with the EP, and grab the new Protest The Hero which is actually pretty incredible, then sit back and watch how overinflated this band becomes despite not really having any new ideas of their own

I dont really care about how meshuggah they are, but still agree on the fact that their songwriting/structuring makes them boring.
----
19.03.2011 - 20:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by qlacs on 19.03.2011 at 19:55

I dont really care about how meshuggah they are, but still agree on the fact that their songwriting/structuring makes them boring.

You still have 'em in your favourite artists though did this album change your mind a bit or do you like them regardless of the fact they can be a bit samey?
28.03.2011 - 15:50
Rating: 6
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Found this album very monotonous, it sounded great at first but I found it difficult to listen through the whole thing...
07.04.2011 - 13:25
Rating: 9
Starchild
Relaxing, beautiful, powerful... Great album. 'Djent' at its best.
26.05.2011 - 21:25
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
The good: Some songs are excellent, particularly Nascent. I could listen to this band if they churned out innovative singles like that one and avoided making long records.
The bad: Typical vocals and harmonies, little done to innovate past the Meshuggah-ish sounds aside from some light accompanying guitars, monotonous song-writing, bland lyricism, lacks technicality or twists in songs.
Verdict: It just made me want to listen to Nothing-era Meshuggah, haha, which fixes up all the bad things I have listed above and has better songs.
12.07.2011 - 09:14
The guitars remind me of Meshuggah. May just be me though.
----
01.08.2011 - 17:47
Night Sight
Perfect
everything is in it's right place
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
01.09.2011 - 11:25
RockeRoy
This album was great at the first listen, and keeps getting better each listen, a sign of great quality. To say it sounds like meshuggah is like saying Megadeth sounds like Metallica, It does, but it don't.. if you catch my drift?
The clean parts and the more atmospheric parts makes more sense when you listen to the album from start to finish, but alot of the songs works great as standalones to.
The vocal didn't impress me much at first, but it has grown alot on me, very exprimental stuff
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
04.11.2011 - 10:17
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Just for information, the song "Eden" is now available for free download at this location. Enjoy!
29.12.2011 - 20:01
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
So this is djent huh? not bad.

i like this quite a bit.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.12.2011 - 20:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 29.12.2011 at 20:01

So this is djent huh? not bad.

i like this quite a bit.

You should try Uneven Structure's recent album. It's like this but good.
29.12.2011 - 20:25
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Boooooooring.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.12.2011 - 11:21
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 29.12.2011 at 20:25

Boooooooring.

Seriously... Our relationship is getting harder and harder
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
30.12.2011 - 11:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

Boooooooring.

agreed
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.12.2011 - 13:28
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BloodTears on 30.12.2011 at 11:21

Boooooooring.

No it doesn't... Look how good our numbers match. I totally put the 6 for a reason... To form the number of love
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.12.2011 - 13:37
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.12.2011 at 13:28

Written by BloodTears on 30.12.2011 at 11:21

Boooooooring.

No it doesn't... Look how good our numbers match. I totally put the 6 for a reason... To form the number of love

LOL that made me laugh really hard, you know. Cute. Okay now, it is totally one of the best albums of the year

You too, Marcel.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
31.12.2011 - 23:27
Giza
Definitely one of the best albums of 2011.
02.04.2012 - 23:35
I really like the instrumental aspect of this album.
The damn vocals though...ugh...get a real singer, not a whiny kid who sings in the key of Emo
03.04.2012 - 07:03
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by chronic-headache on 02.04.2012 at 23:35

The damn vocals though...ugh...get a real singer, not a whiny kid who sings in the key of Emo

As much as I disagree with that comment, I thought you should know he left the band after this record.
Now they have a new guy to handle the vocals.
04.04.2012 - 05:13
Written by Unhealer on 03.04.2012 at 07:03

Written by chronic-headache on 02.04.2012 at 23:35

As much as I disagree with that comment, I thought you should know he left the band after this record.
Now they have a new guy to handle the vocals.

not exactly of fan of the new vocalist, of what little I did hear. I'll give them another try though.
But I have been listening to some tacks off of youtube of Sky Harbor, with the old Tesseract vocalist, and Im absolutly loving it. Most def. gunna preorder this one for sure.
Never though that I would find some Djent that I liked, just gotta have an open mind. Xerath was my intro to it, and now IM getting into Uneven Structures and Chimp Spanner
07.04.2012 - 23:05
Oooh, apparently they have an instrumental only version of one available for download. I could def. get into that. The singers whiney clean voice and the cliched harsh vox just ruin what could be an awesome album.
07.04.2012 - 23:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by chronic-headache on 07.04.2012 at 23:05

Oooh, apparently they have an instrumental only version of one available for download. I could def. get into that. The singers whiney clean voice and the cliched harsh vox just ruin what could be an awesome album.

There tons of bands I wish would take that approach.
08.04.2012 - 04:29
Written by [user id=4365] on 07.04.2012 at 23:12

*cough cough*periphery*cough cough*
30.07.2012 - 07:55
Lit.
Account deleted
So this is the djent stuff I've been hearing so much about? Not bad.
And you know, I like the vocals. You guys can't enjoy anything unless it has growls in it, can you?
06.04.2013 - 17:28
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Maybe it's just me, but I still enjoy Fellsilent's only album when compared to One. It's weird because they really were not something amazing but that stuff was more impulsive than Tessy.
----
09.06.2013 - 21:52
Erik M.
Written by chronic-headache on 08.04.2012 at 04:29

Written by [user id=4365] on 07.04.2012 at 23:12

*cough cough*periphery*cough cough*

I agree. I listened to this, but after 10 minutes I couldn't take it anymore and I had to listen to something else. The vocals really ruined it for me, because they're whiney and annoying. But since I was planning to check out Periphery as well, I'm glad to hear they don't have these awful emo vocals.
27.08.2013 - 04:23
Uldreth
Written by qlacs on 06.04.2013 at 17:28

Maybe it's just me, but I still enjoy Fellsilent's only album when compared to One. It's weird because they really were not something amazing but that stuff was more impulsive than Tessy.

This is a bit old comment but as I saw it I felt compelled to reply.

I think the beauty of Fellsilent lies in the relative simplicity of their music. They do not do anything that is immediately "whoa" but in its entirety it just comes together as so tight and powerful.

If they were on the site I'd probably 10 that album because I easily consider it to be the single best djent album ever released (Masstaden would get the second place), totally destroying everything Meshuggah has ever done as well, but I could not tell at all WHY I think that way. The breakdown at the end of Drowned In My Enemy and the finale of Oblique with the sudden falsetto cleans still send shivers down my spine and I have known that album for quite long.

I really wish that band/album received a lot more attention cause it is really just so damn good.

Hits total: 16211 | This month: 41