04. Native
05. Tiny Hands (Au Revoir) [feat. Natalie Nicoles]
06. Firstwake [feat. Joel Quartuccio]
07. Darkstrand (Hibakusha) [feat. Sean McCulloch]
08. First Mother (Lilith) [feat. Rory Rodrigues]
09. To Thirst For The Sea
10. Wasteland (Vechnost) [feat. Nathan Mead]
11. Depths II

The best thing about growing older is not knowing yourself better, but coming to the realisation you actually don't know that much. I never would have thought an album by a Christian metalcore band could actually move the doubtful heart of a hardened atheist such as mine. Silent Planet tamed the cold bitch in me for the short while I needed to write this review. I'll proceed to tell you how.

---
"We were dressed in potential, now we're draped in sorrow."
---

Silent Planet are a bunch of young Californians who perfectly understood how to build a coherent album incorporating all the styles that seem to have inspired them. Metalcore is just the big umbrella under which I spot some emo post-hardcore, the technical prowess and breakdowns you could find in deathcore, atmospheric post-rock build-ups, as well as even Gothenburg-influenced passages reminding me of Dark Tranquillity's Character. I find it admirable how The Night God Slept perfectly embodies the contradictory nature of melodic, emotional and yet truly passionate and aggressive music, without making themselves sound like acne-riddled angsty teenagers. And all of that in just a little more than thirty minutes.

Indeed, being able to pack so much into so little material shows a precocious understanding of songwriting and the level of musicianship needed to exalt it, without ever losing the listener in guitar-noodling or overly-meandering passages. Seamlessly arranged, the songs and ethereal instrumental pauses accompany the listener until the end, where I always find myself wishing for more. Which is precisely the only flaw I found: a little more time to develop those epic but short build-ups would have been a huge bonus. Fortunately, a balanced and clear production made it easy for me to enjoy each layer of this dense album, and I had the utmost pleasure of discovering news ones with every spin of the record. My addictive personality isn't a valid enough explanation for the fact I listened to Silent Planet's début six times in a row and a few more times the following day. It's just that good, varied, and complex enough.

However, this opus would be nothing without the impressive vocal work by Garett Russell and Thomas Freckleton whose both clean and harsh vocals always feel genuine and on point. Their delivery ranges from the softest clean whisper to rappy or long drawn-out screams of the highest level. As a result, both the instrumentation and vocals drive that despair and anger you could hear in those intelligible lyrics right through the middle of the listener's heart. Without ever preaching, Russell tells this tale of our fallen human race through the poetic depiction of its darkest moments in history. So thought-provoking and so full of hope it touched the sad cynic, grinding egotistical hipster that I am.

---
"We see love that words can't speak, so we make sound."
---

I very rarely felt the need to get myself involved on a deeper level with a band's aesthetic and ideologies, but after such an impressive first album, I found myself driven towards their official blog in which they respectfully and subtly display their beliefs in the form of (hipster-filter-covered) pictures, works of art, lyrics, quotations and messages to their fans. Such consistency in content as well as in form confirmed the impression of professionalism, commitment, and depth that sole first spin gave me. I have no doubt that this début will put Silent Planet on a path of exponential growth: I have a feeling their future work will be just as well thought-out and mature, even if they take another musical direction.

I can simply conclude that The Night God Slept is one of the best records I have heard this year and I don't mind exposing my sensitive side so as to praise it better. Here, listen, take this right in the feels, sucker.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written by Ilham | 21.11.2014

Comments

Comments: 31   Visited by: 226 users
21.11.2014 - 22:01
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Great review you've written here
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
21.11.2014 - 23:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Checked out a song and it sounded very good indeed.

Silent Planet, take a ticket

21.11.2014 - 23:10
Rating: 9
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Darkside Momo on 21.11.2014 at 22:01

Great review you've written here

Thanks a lot, it honestly just wrote itself, the album was inspiring .
21.11.2014 - 23:18
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by [user id=4365] on 21.11.2014 at 23:06

Checked out a song and it sounded very good indeed.
Silent Planet, take a ticket

I think I'm not seeing the reference. The book maybe?
21.11.2014 - 23:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 21.11.2014 at 23:18

I think I'm not seeing the reference. The book maybe?

Not a reference, just that it's probably about number 57 in the queue of stuff I need to listen to at the moment. I seemed to have stopped listening to music for the time being.
21.11.2014 - 23:21
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by [user id=4365] on 21.11.2014 at 23:20

Not a reference, just that it's probably about number 57 in the queue of stuff I need to listen to at the moment. I seemed to have stopped listening to music for the time being.

Oh ok haha, sorry. I'm a little ill and I've been high on drugs for two days now. Funny indeed. Isn't when you want to take a pause that suddenly all the good albums come out?
21.11.2014 - 23:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 21.11.2014 at 23:21

Oh ok haha, sorry. I'm a little ill and I've been high on drugs for two days now. Funny indeed. Isn't when you want to take a pause that suddenly all the good albums come out?

Drugs you say? Lucky you. I sympathise though. I yawned really hard earlier and my whole body spasmed and now I feel like shit.

And yeah, so much in one go. It's like a bottleneck and none of it wants to come out. Music I mean.
22.11.2014 - 01:38
no one
Account deleted
I see, coming down of drugs then christian music sounds appealing
22.11.2014 - 02:04
mz
Official: on one is becoming one of my fav MS commentator
Also, I think I have no reason not listening to this, despite the fact that I don't know much about metalcore (or any other -core genre).
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
22.11.2014 - 02:05
mz
And yeah, I should make also a note about all of records I need to check.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
22.11.2014 - 02:11
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by mz on 22.11.2014 at 02:04

Official: on one is becoming one of my fav MS commentator
Also, I think I have no reason not listening to this, despite the fact that I don't know much about metalcore (or any other -core genre).

Haha yeah I just love his short bursts of subtle sarcasm.
To be honest this is very solid metalcore, but not super original. There are those influences I talked about, but if you need a good measure of what good metalcore is, go ahead with this one.
I have a notebook with all I have to listen to, and all I listened to with votes and annotations. Do that.
22.11.2014 - 03:00
Dream Taster
The Enemy Within
Staff
I love reading your reviews. "Toujours super interessant". And you find some great out of the way listens. This one sounds great as well.

Keep it up
22.11.2014 - 03:20
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Dream Taster on 22.11.2014 at 03:00

I love reading your reviews. "Toujours super interessant". And you find some great out of the way listens. This one sounds great as well.

Keep it up

That is so nice to say, I'm flattered. I'll do my best, it's comments like these that make it worth the work.
22.11.2014 - 14:49
Uldreth
Very nice review, and you got me interested.

Quote:
Metalcore is just the big umbrella under which I spot some emo post-hardcore, the technical prowess and breakdowns you could find in deathcore, atmospheric post-rock build-ups, as well as even Gothenburg-influenced passages reminding me of Dark Tranquillity's Character. I find it admirable how The Night God Slept perfectly embodies the contradictory nature of melodic, emotional and yet truly passionate and aggressive music

And this is exactly why I fell in love with this genre when I did, as I hope you will find, that actually quite many bands share these characteristics.
Also surprisingly, many christian -core bands' lyrics do speak to me, even if I am a hardcore atheist, since most of them seems to be about their prespective of the world, rather than trying to aggressively preach about their faith, and it seems that moderate christians often have a worldview similiar to secular humansits, which I am.

Edit: Also based on the glancing listens I am giving this now, this sounds a lot like Oh, Sleeper. Do you know that band? Cause it might appeal to you then. Especially their first and third albums.
22.11.2014 - 19:27
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
I cannot wait to hear this album! Thanks for reviewing Your review made me even more excited to listen.

Also a raging atheist, I enjoy many religious-based metalcore and other metal bands. We don't all need to share an ideology to share a love of music. But I think I'll especially like this one given the source of their name. I can only guess it's in reverence to the classic sci-fi book "Out of the Silent Planet," which was pretty good but did incorporate religious overtones and got a little "preachy" by the end. Still, sci-fi nerd metal music is not something I can easily resist!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
22.11.2014 - 20:03
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I can pretty safely say that this is now added to my mental list of good "-core" metal. Agree with the review mostly, although I didn't have quite the same emotional resonance with it as you seem to have had.
22.11.2014 - 21:38
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Uldreth on 22.11.2014 at 14:49

Very nice review, and you got me interested.

Quote:
Metalcore is just the big umbrella under which I spot some emo post-hardcore, the technical prowess and breakdowns you could find in deathcore, atmospheric post-rock build-ups, as well as even Gothenburg-influenced passages reminding me of Dark Tranquillity's Character. I find it admirable how The Night God Slept perfectly embodies the contradictory nature of melodic, emotional and yet truly passionate and aggressive music

And this is exactly why I fell in love with this genre when I did, as I hope you will find, that actually quite many bands share these characteristics.
Also surprisingly, many christian -core bands' lyrics do speak to me, even if I am a hardcore atheist, since most of them seems to be about their prespective of the world, rather than trying to aggressively preach about their faith, and it seems that moderate christians often have a worldview similiar to secular humansits, which I am.

Edit: Also based on the glancing listens I am giving this now, this sounds a lot like Oh, Sleeper. Do you know that band? Cause it might appeal to you then. Especially their first and third albums.

Thank you very much, I'm happy I am getting a metalcore band some attention when it's such an underrated genre (at least on MS). To be honest, I am very new to all things core, and even with all the will and time in the world I haven't got that deep into metalcore precisely as I would have hoped I would in six months. After listening to this for the first time, I would have felt too bad for not trying to get a feel of other bands that play in the same territory as Silent Planet, and indeed I stumbled on Oh Sleeper right away (as well as on Underoath).

Indeed I understand more and more that this weird hatred kvlt kids have for metalcore is so incredibly unfounded. Some of the bands I discovered are really not that too far from Gothenburg mixed with post-hardcore dual vocals. I am aware there is a huge christian deathcore/metalcore community, and I find that extremely interesting and I intend to learn more about it. Indeed I was a little suspicious when I first read "christian metalcore", but I am happy to have been wrong. No preaching and no hate towards the "unbeliever" was to be found, only a an eagerness to extend... love - let's use the big words - to their fellow human being.

I understand you're the guy to talk to when it comes to deathcore/metalcore. But I don't see you around that much, I'll call for you in the future . Thank you for you comment.
22.11.2014 - 21:46
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Susan on 22.11.2014 at 19:27

I cannot wait to hear this album! Thanks for reviewing Your review made me even more excited to listen.

Also a raging atheist, I enjoy many religious-based metalcore and other metal bands. We don't all need to share an ideology to share a love of music. But I think I'll especially like this one given the source of their name. I can only guess it's in reverence to the classic sci-fi book "Out of the Silent Planet," which was pretty good but did incorporate religious overtones and got a little "preachy" by the end. Still, sci-fi nerd metal music is not something I can easily resist!

It was an absolute pleasure to write it, thank you . Indeed Silent Planet is a reference to that trilogy. I learned of its existence when getting some background information for the review, and it piqued my curiosity. I am an avid reader, if you say it's worth it I'll try to get a copy.

Also, please feel free to drop a line on my -core list if you ever stumble on a gem like this one, since you seem to be into the genre . By the way, those two EPs were great, especially Enmity! Very promising future for those bands, I'll keep my eyes peeled for their next releases.
22.11.2014 - 22:00
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Alex F on 22.11.2014 at 20:03

I can pretty safely say that this is now added to my mental list of good "-core" metal. Agree with the review mostly, although I didn't have quite the same emotional resonance with it as you seem to have had.

Yes of course, I did harp on my own personal feelings, but I tried to set them apart when rating in the end. My own score would have been around 9. I'm happy I didn't hype it to the point of disappointing you though .
23.11.2014 - 00:28
Uldreth
Written by Ilham on 22.11.2014 at 21:38

Thank you very much, I'm happy I am getting a metalcore band some attention when it's such an underrated genre (at least on MS). To be honest, I am very new to all things core, and even with all the will and time in the world I haven't got that deep into metalcore precisely as I would have hoped I would in six months. After listening to this for the first time, I would have felt too bad for not trying to get a feel of other bands that play in the same territory as Silent Planet, and indeed I stumbled on Oh Sleeper right away (as well as on Underoath).

Indeed I understand more and more that this weird hatred kvlt kids have for metalcore is so incredibly unfounded. Some of the bands I discovered are really not that too far from Gothenburg mixed with post-hardcore dual vocals. I am aware there is a huge christian deathcore/metalcore community, and I find that extremely interesting and I intend to learn more about it. Indeed I was a little suspicious when I first read "christian metalcore", but I am happy to have been wrong. No preaching and no hate towards the "unbeliever" was to be found, only a an eagerness to extend... love - let's use the big words - to their fellow human being.

I understand you're the guy to talk to when it comes to deathcore/metalcore. But I don't see you around that much, I'll call for you in the future . Thank you for you comment.

There are some preachy bands as well, but not many :>. Also they can be interesting at times, especially 90s christian metalcore was generally darker than current but a lot more preachy. Stuff like Training For Utopia, Advent or Zao (though the latter is just dark, not preachy). I still like them, even if their lyrical content is not really appealing to me, just for how much conviction they can express with their music.

Also yeah the hate on this genre is dumb. Surely there are all the Bullet For My Valentines and whatevers but interestingly enough I could list like 200 different bands within metalcore, like this one, that pushes musical boundaries way more than many easily digestible "melodic metal" bands around, yet nobody seems to care about those. But I've been preaching about this for a long time during my stay on this site and nobody gave a damn, so I may as well leave that be.

The hatred for Underoath is especially incomprehensible for me, seeing that while they did release They Are Only Chasing Safety, which might not be the most appealing album to a general metalhead, they made much darker music after that and I would consider Define The Great Line and Disambiguation to be modern classics of the genre with a rarely well realized dynamic songwriting and playing with atmospheres and emotion (Lost In The Sound... if neat as well, just a bit less good).

Anyways, I was indeed away for a while but now I will be around, just probably not very vocal. If you are truly interested, I can PM you a list to check out, if you'd like.
23.11.2014 - 01:03
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Uldreth on 23.11.2014 at 00:28

There are some preachy bands as well, but not many :>. Also they can be interesting at times, especially 90s christian metalcore was generally darker than current but a lot more preachy. Stuff like Training For Utopia, Advent or Zao (though the latter is just dark, not preachy). I still like them, even if their lyrical content is not really appealing to me, just for how much conviction they can express with their music.

Also yeah the hate on this genre is dumb. Surely there are all the Bullet For My Valentines and whatevers but interestingly enough I could list like 200 different bands within metalcore, like this one, that pushes musical boundaries way more than many easily digestible "melodic metal" bands around, yet nobody seems to care about those. But I've been preaching about this for a long time during my stay on this site and nobody gave a damn, so I may as well leave that be.

The hatred for Underoath is especially incomprehensible for me, seeing that while they did release They Are Only Chasing Safety, which might not be the most appealing album to a general metalhead, they made much darker music after that and I would consider Define The Great Line and Disambiguation to be modern classics of the genre with a rarely well realized dynamic songwriting and playing with atmospheres and emotion (Lost In The Sound... if neat as well, just a bit less good).

Anyways, I was indeed away for a while but now I will be around, just probably not very vocal. If you are truly interested, I can PM you a list to check out, if you'd like.

Out of the three you named, I only know Zao. The more I "hear you talk", the more the necessity of you contacting me privately becomes clearer. Bombard me with lists and recs. Good to hear you'll be on more often, as long as I can reach you by PM, I'll use you in silence, no need to be vocal .

So much yes, I have nothing to add to that. At this point I don't even understand how some people can go on listening to the same exact derivative albums year after year. I wasn't here during the time you been preachin, maybe I woulda been preachin witchu.

I only listened to Lost In The Sound Of Separation. I intend to go through the rest of the discography, as what I heard there was definitely a-level metalcore.
23.11.2014 - 03:47
Stunning Cactus
Oh wow, lots of atmospheric aspects as well. This is definitely worth a listen or 4.
23.11.2014 - 08:02
Rating: 7
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Ilham on 23.11.2014 at 01:03
I don't even understand how some people can go on listening to the same exact derivative albums year after year.

Maybe it sounds off-topic but how so you mean ? I'm just curious about it.

On topic with all this fuss I'm wondering how this album sounds, though I have never heard about the band.
----
The Fangirl.
23.11.2014 - 08:18
Rating: 7
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Hey, just heard four songs out of the album and this sound and approach surprisingly clicked !
----
The Fangirl.
23.11.2014 - 12:25
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by angel. on 23.11.2014 at 08:02

Maybe it sounds off-topic but how so you mean ? I'm just curious about it.
On topic with all this fuss I'm wondering how this album sounds, though I have never heard about the band.

Uldreth and I were comparing the level of innovation in metalcore with others, for example, melodeath, which has been stagnant for years, and yet people keep sucking on those band's appendices as if it spewed gold. And I don't understand that.
Quote:
Hey, just heard four songs out of the album and this sound and approach surprisingly clicked !

Very happy you guys like each other .
23.11.2014 - 21:06
Frodd
Account deleted
You should seriously consider writing reviews professionally.
23.11.2014 - 21:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by [user id=114127] on 23.11.2014 at 21:06

Is that not what this is? =P
23.11.2014 - 21:14
Frodd
Account deleted
Written by [user id=4365] on 23.11.2014 at 21:10

Is that not what this is? =P

MS provides exp but not gold.
23.11.2014 - 21:17
Ilham
Giant robot

Oh come on, stop it you.

Really, I wouldn't dream of it, I don't have the level. But if you're willing to donate, my wallet is open .
23.11.2014 - 21:21
Frodd
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 23.11.2014 at 21:17

Oh come on, stop it you.

Really, I wouldn't dream of it, I don't have the level. But if you're willing to donate, my wallet is open .

Sorry I only deal in barter.

Hits total: 5788 | This month: 3