09. Beautiful Apocalypse [feat. Charlotte Wessels]
10. Liar Liar (Wasteland Monarchy) [feat. Alissa White-Gluz]
11. Here's To The Fall
12. Revolution [feat. Alissa White-Gluz]
13. Haven
14. The Ties That Bind [Japanese bonus]
15. At First Light [vinyl bonus]

Roy Khan is back!

That's what I thought anyway upon hearing the first notes of Haven. I actually double-checked the promo information from the label just to make sure after I got home. The point being, Tommy Karevik does a really admirable job in the vocal department and sounds just like his predecessor 95% of the time, and that's a blessing as well as a curse.

It's a blessing because as I listened to the album, the thought "I wonder how would the album sound like if Roy was still with the band?" never came across my mind. Naturally, the curse is that it really puts the rest of the band and the actual music into the spotlight with that vocalist-change issue is no longer a distraction. Obviously, the band members are all accomplished musicians, so we can't expect them to forget how to play their instruments, and Sasha Paeth didn't lose his production chops. In fact, the performance is top notch as usual (which includes Tommy), and the synergy between Sasha and Kamelot remains strong as ever. What remains is the song-writing, which is arguably one of the hardest aspects to nail for any album.

For fans of the band, most would likely be happy to hear that the formula for each Kamelot album is mostly unchanged, while the symphonic parts in conjunction with the drumming sounds more ominous and even more cinematic at times. There are no compromises made in terms of heaviness and their trademark dark velvet hues, which is always a positive in my book, and perhaps it's more of a case of Tommy Karevik being more comfortable with the band rather than song-writing, the songs and/or the vocal performance feels more emotional. Each and every song is more solid and engaging compared to past albums where quite a few songs just seem to completely fly over my head.

But? There's always a "but," right? This album really lacks that killer song. Sure, Alissa White-Gluz makes a return, while Troy Donockley of Nightwish and Delain's Charlotte Wessels are also featured, and despite the increased level of consistency for the rest of the album, I can't find the signature tracks like I can from the previous albums, such as "Ghost Opera" (or "Rule The World") in Ghost Opera and "Sacrimony (Angel Of Afterlife)" in Silverthorn etc. Heck, even Poetry For The Poisoned had "The Great Pandemonium"!

To his credit, Thomas Youngblood did an admirable job in putting Haven together, and while the overall quality of the album is higher, the lack of that - dare I use the term - "hit song" has negatively affected my impression of the album as it gives me less of a go-to reason to give the album a spin, especially when the band has such an impressive back catalogue to compare against. Nonetheless, for those who have been yearning for new material from the band or are still seeking their dosage of good power metal in 2015 will find quite a lot to like here.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 03.05.2015 by Ag Fox loves listening to music but is far from being a prolific writer. This corner just shows how territorial he is.

Guest review by
Kais
Rating:
Kamelot, a band responsible for many great hits in the power/symphonic metal scene, have recently issued their second full-length studio album, Haven, featuring their new frontman Tommy Karevik. The band stated this album is a throwback attempt, back to The Black Halo era, which brings their recent rather controversial songwriting knack to the test.

Read more ››
published 11.06.2015 | Comments (8)

Comments

Comments: 53   Visited by: 670 users
03.05.2015 - 08:24
Rating: 7
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
If I hadn't known Kahn had left, I would have thought it was him on Silverthorn, too.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
03.05.2015 - 11:54
Rating: 3
Etaín
Poor Khan .. I know Karevik has a similar sound to his voice, but to not be able to hear one from the other is quite an offence imo

From what ive heard of this so far it sounds exaclty as the previous one, completely uninspired and generic. Everything they've thrown into the world since '99 has been so very good. These two last releases just make me kinda sad.
03.05.2015 - 12:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Never liked this band, IMO its US version about euro flower metal and one of rare cases where short haired singer and all about this band looks lame, like hipster poser... like I said hair is nothing to do whit metal , but singer looks like some banker ... something don't work in this band .. maybe they should as Micheal Kiske .. same time in last years start hate Alise White Gluz ..and AE (vegans are healthy they say they eat so healthy, how came she is little fat? ) ... that video or song I heard because ms news, well it was good, but its band image what scares me away
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.05.2015 - 14:42
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by Bad English on 03.05.2015 at 12:40

Never liked this band, IMO its US version about euro flower metal and one of rare cases where short haired singer and all about this band looks lame, like hipster poser... like I said hair is nothing to do whit metal , but singer looks like some banker ... something don't work in this band .. maybe they should as Micheal Kiske .. same time in last years start hate Alise White Gluz ..and AE (vegans are healthy they say they eat so healthy, how came she is little fat? ) ... that video or song I heard because ms news, well it was good, but its band image what scares me away

You say that you never liked this band and the only thing you complain about is the singer's hairstyle? Come on... maybe Kamelot today is not in top shape, but in their middle era they could rival any prog power metal band from around the world. Seriously, how many bands can put out something quality-wise as good as Epica or The Black Halo? Before Gentle Storm's The Diary came out, these were the last two concept albums that clicked with me, concept wise and musicall wise. Also, Kamelot is not the kind of band that jumps in a trend, copies some other prestigious band' sound and leech from it. They have their own signature sound, a very recognizable one, and a tight performance.
03.05.2015 - 14:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 03.05.2015 at 14:42

You say that you never liked this band and the only thing you complain about is the singer's hairstyle? Come on... maybe Kamelot today is not in top shape, but in their middle era they could rival any prog power metal band from around the world. Seriously, how many bands can put out something quality-wise as good as Epica or The Black Halo? Before Gentle Storm's The Diary came out, these were the last two concept albums that clicked with me, concept wise and musicall wise. Also, Kamelot is not the kind of band that jumps in a trend, copies some other prestigious band' sound and leech from it. They have their own signature sound, a very recognizable one, and a tight performance.

Old days it was OK, I agree, but most we know this band is of lame era, but still band image is week IMO
----

apos;'
[image]
03.05.2015 - 16:33
Ellinor
Extremely generic and boring album. This is simply not the same band that gave us The Fourth Legacy or Karma...
03.05.2015 - 17:44
Rating: 8
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
I want to know which bank Bad English goes to. Have yet to meet bankers sporting this type of style.

Anyway, for those complaining about the album being generic, please name me a power metal album released in 2015 that tops this.
----
loves 小巫
03.05.2015 - 17:55
Joe Zombie
Written by Ag Fox on 03.05.2015 at 17:44

I want to know which bank Bad English goes to. Have yet to meet bankers sporting this type of style.

Anyway, for those complaining about the album being generic, please name me a power metal album released in 2015 that tops this.

I'm inclined to say Stormcrow even though I liked this album as well. I agree with your review, especially regarding the lack of a "hit" song. Fallen Star and Insomnia are great tracks though.
03.05.2015 - 18:22
Rating: 10
Chriwalker
Wow, good score even if I disagree with the reviewer on some points.. I didn't feel like Khan was back at all, okay I had a little moment in "Here's to the Fall" but that's it. And I think that was a good thing. Kamelot is for me personally back in top shape, but I am one of those who loved Poetry and Silverthorn (so I guess my opinion don't matter). And there are many great tracks on this album, hell all of them are great! The Opener is solid and opens up the album. and ends with one of the most brutal songs Kamelot has ever written (not including the outro. Karevik shows that he is integrated and releases some amazing vocals on this album. I give it a solid 10. Top tracks: Fallen Star, Beautiful Apocalypse, Liar Liar and Revolution.
----
Chris D.
03.05.2015 - 18:31
Fisheth
Haven't got my copy, but looking forward to hearing this.
03.05.2015 - 19:48
Nihil Aeternum
Written by Chriwalker on 03.05.2015 at 18:22

Kamelot is for me personally back in top shape, but I am one of those who loved Poetry and Silverthorn (so I guess my opinion don't matter).

I also liked Silverthorn ... and our opinions do matter.

With respect to Bad English's comment: Are there really "metal fans" out there who judge a band by the hair length of the musicians and not by their music? I have also short hair. Does this say something about me? How does a band that plays awesome music have to look like?
03.05.2015 - 20:04
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Very well-written review. Piqued my interest for certain aspects while providing enough caution

It's disappointing to hear that the new singer hasn't found his own voice yet with this band. That's really vital because a great vocal performance can MAKE certain songs the special ones. It's also disappointing to hear that it sounds like they're covering up their lack of great music with a bunch of guest stars. Eeek.

Anything is better than the abysmally generic Silverthorn, though. And as a once enormous fan of this band, I do have hope that there will be something to love on this one! Can't wait to see them live in a few weeks; perhaps that will get me back on board with this group
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
03.05.2015 - 20:24
Rating: 8
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Susan on 03.05.2015 at 20:04

Very well-written review. Piqued my interest for certain aspects while providing enough caution

It's disappointing to hear that the new singer hasn't found his own voice yet with this band.
thanks (=
I don't think he ever will tbh. Personally, I want him to use his own voice, but it seems like (which has more or less been hinted at by the review) the band wanted him to impersonate Roy to make up for his departure. A prettier way of saying it is asking him to use the "Kamelot voice". And because he has had more time to practice, he's become better at it. If that is indeed the decision by the band, I'm fine with it. I'll just treat it like a normal Kamelot album and the spotlight is definitely on how well the songs have been written.
----
loves 小巫
03.05.2015 - 22:21
Rating: 3
Reaper_Redeemer
For me, already overrated..
03.05.2015 - 22:51
SoUnDs LiKe PoP
Lots of above average and good songs, but not very many spectacular songs.

Which is too bad, because it sounds like they were trying REALLY hard to create huge and epic choruses, but I feel like they fell a bit short.

8/10 for me. For now.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
03.05.2015 - 22:53
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

I swear your posts just get worse and worse with every passing month.
----
03.05.2015 - 23:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellinor on 03.05.2015 at 16:33

Extremely generic and boring album. This is simply not the same band that gave us The Fourth Legacy or Karma...

you're a veteran, why ppl expect good albums nowadays? good albums will come from new bands, not old ones
----

apos;'
[image]
03.05.2015 - 23:49
Nihil Aeternum
Written by Bad English on 03.05.2015 at 23:34

you're a veteran, why ppl expect good albums nowadays? good albums will come from new bands, not old ones

Yeah, let's hype new bands and then tear them into pieces and hate them when they have success or at the latest when they release their first album that sounds the same or that sounds different.
03.05.2015 - 23:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Nihil Aeternum on 03.05.2015 at 23:49

Yeah, let's hype new bands and then tear them into pieces and hate them when they have success or at the latest when they release their first album that sounds the same or that sounds different.

¨
yeah but why then rest of most of metalheads say omgh nw albums sucks, blahagahahha all the time,
----

apos;'
[image]
03.05.2015 - 23:57
Shmyt
IIRC Thomas has said he is keeping Roy's style rather than expanding his own to cater to fans and not change anytging too quickly.
04.05.2015 - 01:05
SoUnDs LiKe PoP
Written by Bad English on 03.05.2015 at 23:56

Written by Nihil Aeternum on 03.05.2015 at 23:49

¨
yeah but why then rest of most of metalheads say omgh nw albums sucks, blahagahahha all the time,

"Most" metalheads say Nightwish sucks? Are you just completely pulling things out of your ass, now, or...?
----
04.05.2015 - 01:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 04.05.2015 at 01:05

"Most" metalheads say Nightwish sucks? Are you just completely pulling things out of your ass, now, or...?

actually they do, even I think that was damn good album
----

apos;'
[image]
04.05.2015 - 01:20
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight

It's not about what other people say here. Nightwish, same like Kamelot, for the last 3 albums has not been in top shape either. But they did not make catastrophic works like other older bands did (take Sepultura after Max Cavalera left, or Queensryche after Chris De Garmo left and before Tate's dismisal). Frankly, I do not fucking care what other people say about albums, not until I listen them myself and see what it's worth. What you're doing here is 'appeal to authority', and unless you can show who are those 'most of metalheads', your argument is invalid.
04.05.2015 - 01:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 04.05.2015 at 01:20

It's not about what other people say here. Nightwish, same like Kamelot, for the last 3 albums has not been in top shape either. But they did not make catastrophic works like other older bands did (take Sepultura after Max Cavalera left, or Queensryche after Chris De Garmo left and before Tate's dismisal). Frankly, I do not fucking care what other people say about albums, not until I listen them myself and see what it's worth. What you're doing here is 'appeal to authority', and unless you can show who are those 'most of metalheads', your argument is invalid.

true... well but NW has attitude, this band image and all about band is like I don't know, band needs more 'metal' image, otherwise it remainds me my teenage friend who hangw hit us because we metaslheads were cool and he thought he will get a chick
----

apos;'
[image]
04.05.2015 - 01:43
musclassia
Staff
Written by Bad English on 04.05.2015 at 01:31

band needs more 'metal' image, otherwise it remainds me my teenage friend who hangw hit us because we metaslheads were cool and he thought he will get a chick

Utter bs. No band needs to have a more 'metal' image. Looking more 'metal' doesn't make your music any better or more authentic, more like it comes across as trying to win fans based upon appealing to the 'metal culture' and all the cheap and cheesy sentiments that come with that rather than letting their actual music do the talking. Kamelot can look however they want (and anyway I prefer their image to the crap Manowar pulls) as long as the music is good. On that front, I will be highly surprised if I agree with the reviewer and some of the other reviews I've come across if the rest of the album is anything like the 2 songs that have already been released, but I'll wait until I've heard the album until I comment on that front. I just found this rambing nonsense so ridiculous I couldn't refrain from saying something.
04.05.2015 - 01:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by musclassia on 04.05.2015 at 01:43

band needs more 'metal' image, otherwise it remainds me my teenage friend who hangw hit us because we metaslheads were cool and he thought he will get a chick

Utter bs. No band needs to have a more 'metal' image. Looking more 'metal' doesn't make your music any better or more authentic, more like it comes across as trying to win fans based upon appealing to the 'metal culture' and all the cheap and cheesy sentiments that come with that rather than letting their actual music do the talking. Kamelot can look however they want (and anyway I prefer their image to the crap Manowar pulls) as long as the music is good. On that front, I will be highly surprised if I agree with the reviewer and some of the other reviews I've come across if the rest of the album is anything like the 2 songs that have already been released, but I'll wait until I've heard the album until I comment on that front. I just found this rambing nonsense so ridiculous I couldn't refrain from saying something.

agree but this band don't work that way even musically
----

apos;'
[image]
04.05.2015 - 01:58
Nihil Aeternum

true... well but NW has attitude, this band image and all about band is like I don't know, band needs more 'metal' image, otherwise it remainds me my teenage friend who hangw hit us because we metaslheads were cool and he thought he will get a chick

Are you so badly sloshed?
04.05.2015 - 02:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Nihil Aeternum on 04.05.2015 at 01:58

Are you so badly sloshed?

not me, fan goys and girls are
----

apos;'
[image]
04.05.2015 - 02:30
Nihil Aeternum

Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 04.05.2015 at 01:20

I am so sure that Tommy Karevik would love to hang out with you because you are so cool, but you will get all the "chicks" and he will be left out in the cold. You ruin your reputation with posts like this, Bad English. Over and out.
04.05.2015 - 02:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Nihil Aeternum on 04.05.2015 at 02:30

I am so sure that Tommy Karevik would love to hang out with you because you are so cool, but you will get all the "chicks" and he will be left out in the cold. You ruin your reputation with posts like this, Bad English. Over and out.

I did not say hair is anything to do
and no, I don't think so... IMO band needs different vocalist totally diferent
----

apos;'
[image]

Hits total: 16585 | This month: 31