Metal Storm logo
Nightwish

Original post

Posted by Elodie Artour, 09.06.2008 - 16:12
Hey, guys! Don't you think it's high-time someone started a new topic about one of my favourite (and not only mine, actually) bands - Nightwish?

I adore them - both with Tarja and with Anette!

Well, I think there is not much for me to say, as I've already written most of the things I've wanted to.

So, feel free to discuss things, related to the topic 'Nightwish'.

P.S.: No arguing and offensing, please! Long ago, there have been rules added, which are meant to show what's not to do on this forum.
23.09.2009 - 21:52
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Ernis on 23.09.2009 at 20:45

They didn't play it...

i am hearing Anette singing
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

23.09.2009 - 22:46
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Ellrohir on 23.09.2009 at 21:52

Written by Ernis on 23.09.2009 at 20:45

They didn't play it...

i am hearing Anette singing

Didn't I express myself clearly already? It was OUTRO that was playing from SPEAKER when the band were saying good-bye and walking away from the stage......yes Anette RECORDED this song...

I was several metres from the stage, I can tell....

You can also see people walking away from the hall.....they wouldn't do it during a live performance....the band had already left the stage by the point the song was playing....
23.09.2009 - 23:10
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Ok, now i am finally getting it
----

23.09.2009 - 23:21
Ernis
狼獾
Yeh....it's a good song....I wish they get the permission to release it properly...
24.09.2009 - 00:21
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I remember the lyrics of "Where Were You Last Night" cover was disabled on NW official site due to some "copyright restrictions"...i wonder how it worked there...
----

24.09.2009 - 21:43
Ernis
狼獾
Well, the article covering the Hartwall gig is ready....

Hilarious moments from the gig....Marco handing a bottle of Finlandia to Anette and she saying that, in fact, Jägermeister also does the job with helping with the voice....

Interesting thing it was...Anette wore three outfits during the show (although less flamboyant than Tarja's)....

Anyway.... 'twas a grand gig....
24.09.2009 - 22:26
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Wish i were there
----

25.09.2009 - 23:57
Does anyone know the setlist ?
26.09.2009 - 13:35
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Hobbit Viggo definitely does
----

26.09.2009 - 14:31
Ernis
狼獾
Written by The Night Wisher on 25.09.2009 at 23:57

1. Intro - Finlandia
2. Seven Days To The Wolves
3. Ever Dream
4. Wishmaster
5. Romanticide
6. Amaranth
7. The Siren
8. While Your Lips Are Still Red
9. The Poet And The Pendulum
10. Nemo
11. Sahara
12. Dark Chest Of Wonders
13. The Islander
14. Walking In The Air
15. Last Of The Wilds
16. Meadows Of Heaven
17. Ghost Love Score
18. Wish I Had An Angel
19. Outro - The Heart Asks Pleasure First
26.09.2009 - 15:04
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Epic...
----

26.09.2009 - 16:34
That's awesome I wish I were there .......but there is something about the setlist, I think that Wishmaster should be replace by Escapist, cuz of many reasons, the most important reason is : Wishmaster doesn't go with Anette style and it has been played till death, another thing : Escapist is an awesome song and loved by fans and hasn't been played too much ...
26.09.2009 - 16:57
Ernis
狼獾
Well....actually Wishmaster was very powerful....I would also have enjoyed Escapist but well....I had no reason to be disappointed about the setlist...
28.09.2009 - 08:42
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Cover of Meadows Of Heaven by Gregorian:

----

23.10.2009 - 00:22
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Nightwish - Hilma ja Onni ( Jaakko Teppo Cover )

----

20.11.2009 - 23:45
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
So you guys like Nightwish videos, huh? Well, check THIS out. A video of the new The Rasmus single featuring Anette Olzon. Ha!

No further comment needed.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
20.11.2009 - 23:55
Janne
Hugin
Umm she looks so.. old?
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
21.11.2009 - 01:23
Fhuesc
Written by Janne on 20.11.2009 at 23:55

Umm she looks so.. old?

Agree she aged like 25 years, being with Nightwish must be an exhausting job.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
21.11.2009 - 02:01
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Ernis on 26.09.2009 at 14:31

Written by The Night Wisher on 25.09.2009 at 23:57

1. Intro - Finlandia
2. Seven Days To The Wolves
3. Ever Dream
4. Wishmaster
5. Romanticide
6. Amaranth
7. The Siren
8. While Your Lips Are Still Red
9. The Poet And The Pendulum
10. Nemo
11. Sahara
12. Dark Chest Of Wonders
13. The Islander
14. Walking In The Air
15. Last Of The Wilds
16. Meadows Of Heaven
17. Ghost Love Score
18. Wish I Had An Angel
19. Outro - The Heart Asks Pleasure First

I don't want to imagine Ghost Love Score being tortured by Annette... Tarja's voice made that song so epic. A non-operatic voice must be horrible with the choir. And Wishmaster can't possibly fit Annette's voice either. Other songs are OK for her, though. Not too epic, I mean. And hey Viggo, weren't you in China, a couple months ago?
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
21.11.2009 - 12:42
Ernis
狼獾
Written by MétalNoir on 21.11.2009 at 02:01

I don't want to imagine Ghost Love Score being tortured by Annette... Tarja's voice made that song so epic. A non-operatic voice must be horrible with the choir. And Wishmaster can't possibly fit Annette's voice either. Other songs are OK for her, though. Not too epic, I mean. And hey Viggo, weren't you in China, a couple months ago?

"GLS" is a wonderful song....it was good when Tarja did it and it's even better with Anette....and when Tarja actually made all the songs, including GLS sound somewhat dry, academic and rigid then what I and people in general love bout Anette is the way she gives colours and life and movement to this song....don't like it...don't listen to it...but don't speak about "torturing" because if Anette's style is torturing the song then I can say it does it as much as Tarja when she "tortured" the songs with her academic classical approach.

Wishmaster with Anette is a fine power song....it was good with Tarja, but speaking of stylistic composition Anette's version is more pure....altho original and interesting with Tarja, the song has been subject to criticism because Tarja's classical singing sounds bit "over-the-top" in the setting...not that it's bad...

A lot of songs of the group have "epic" moments (define epic...)...and speaking of Tarja and Anette...I'm personally glad they have Anette because she has added a lot life and movement into both stage presence and music, she has made lots of songs more lively and catchy ("The Siren" performed at Hartwall in September 2009 being the best interpretation of the song all in all, making both End Of An Era and Once versions sound bland compared to it) and...of course...Tarja is an important figure of the band too...her role in the early albums was very important but the endless issue about Anette "butchering" the songs of the band and "bring Tarja back" slogans should have been left to the past already....

I moved away from China in July which left me ample time to reach Helsinki in September....
21.11.2009 - 14:31
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
I'm not a "bring Tarja back" adept. And I must admit I've never wanted to listen to Annette's interpretation of Tarja-era songs, because Annette never impressed me on DPP. I don't hate her voice, it's very good on The Poet And The Pendulum, Amaranth, Bye Bye Beautiful, etc. but I can't stand it on Sahara, for example, and that's a shame cause Sahara has great music. I had problems accepting Annette at first, but with time I came to appreciate her, probably because I listened to DPP as a totally new band, instead of comparing with Tarja. Accepting Annette's interpretation of pre-DPP songs is the next step, I guess.

I don't know why you left China (and that's none of my business), but MAN how I'd like to live in China and then in Estonia, just next to Finland ^^ China and Finland are my #1 dream destinations.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
21.11.2009 - 16:08
Ernis
狼獾
Written by MétalNoir on 21.11.2009 at 14:31

I don't know why you left China (and that's none of my business), but MAN how I'd like to live in China and then in Estonia, just next to Finland ^^ China and Finland are my #1 dream destinations.

Well...better in Finland than next to Finland, I'd say....
21.11.2009 - 18:23
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Fhuesc on 21.11.2009 at 01:23

Written by Janne on 20.11.2009 at 23:55

Umm she looks so.. old?

Agree she aged like 25 years, being with Nightwish must be an exhausting job.

She doesn't look that old. A bit older maybe, but so what. She does look like she have gained a pound or two, not that it matters 'cause her voice is still good and then people can't say that Nightwish is all about a nice looking chick
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
26.11.2009 - 13:16
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I have just bought Oceanborn album...and on the back side of the booklet, they all look so...young
----

17.12.2009 - 13:58
Dracius
Has anyone invested in that new Lokikirja boxset yet? it has a remastered version of Angels Fall First as well as the other 6 albums and the Over The Hills... EP. I have all the albums as it is, but I must admit I'm tempted
17.12.2009 - 14:28
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Damn, only 41 euro for 8 cds? (while i only own one original cd, of course not useful for people with complete collection)...why i didnt knew it earlier?
----

18.12.2009 - 18:39
0rpheus
Agreed with Metalomorphis. No doubt Tarja's era was the true evolution of Nightwish & her vocal type is more suitable for symphonic power/heavy metal music. I miss her voice. Her departure was a loss to the band, no one can deny it & actually I stopped listening to 'em after her departure because I didn't like their last album with Anette - not because of Anette, all respect to her, but because their chemistry has changed & somehow I told feel like it.
Written by Ernis on 21.11.2009 at 12:42

Written by MétalNoir on 21.11.2009 at 02:01

"GLS" is a wonderful song....it was good when Tarja did it and it's even better with Anette....and when Tarja actually made all the songs, including GLS sound somewhat dry, academic and rigid then what I and people in general love bout Anette is the way she gives colours and life and movement to this song....don't like it...don't listen to it...but don't speak about "torturing" because if Anette's style is torturing the song then I can say it does it as much as Tarja when she "tortured" the songs with her academic classical approach.

Wishmaster with Anette is a fine power song....it was good with Tarja, but speaking of stylistic composition Anette's version is more pure....altho original and interesting with Tarja, the song has been subject to criticism because Tarja's classical singing sounds bit "over-the-top" in the setting...not that it's bad...

A lot of songs of the group have "epic" moments (define epic...)...and speaking of Tarja and Anette...I'm personally glad they have Anette because she has added a lot life and movement into both stage presence and music, she has made lots of songs more lively and catchy ("The Siren" performed at Hartwall in September 2009 being the best interpretation of the song all in all, making both End Of An Era and Once versions sound bland compared to it) and...of course...Tarja is an important figure of the band too...her role in the early albums was very important but the endless issue about Anette "butchering" the songs of the band and "bring Tarja back" slogans should have been left to the past already....

I moved away from China in July which left me ample time to reach Helsinki in September....
----
I would prefer not to.
19.12.2009 - 19:07
Good band, one of the few bands i like with a female singer. It sucks how i managed to miss them 2-3 times already.
----
As if they were tearing through my flesh, it was embedded in my mind
That Jesus died for me... How foolish can they be
24.12.2009 - 03:02
xxhamzxx
I got bored of the new Nightwish
22.06.2010 - 21:22
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Facebook update from Nightwish page:

Quote:
Jukka's Family Grows

A healthy baby girl with a weight of 3 770 grams (8.31 lb) and a height of 50,5 cm (19.9") was born today, June 22, to Jukka and Satu Nevalainen. As Emppu put it: "Great lovers have baby girls!"
----