Metal Storm logo
Pets (You Have/You Want to Own/You Need Tips)

Original post

Posted by Hamird, 20.11.2009 - 17:10
We were talking about pets in another topic, and it would be an off topic if we wanted to talk there about pets...
So I searched the general forums to bring the discussion into the Pets topic, but surprisingly I found no Pets topic.. How would it possible to have Jonas in the forum and have no Pets topics..
Anyway.. In case my search wasn't deep and there is a Pets topic here, lock here and we discuss about it in the topic.. And if no, lets talk about Pets here.. Some people have pets, some people (like me) want to own a pet and both groups may need some tips for taking care or buying tips..
So all come here and discuss..
03.01.2010 - 18:14
Ragana
Rawrcat
My mother also wasn't very happy when I once brought home a little rat... but those two are so cute! They look very alike, I must say.
03.01.2010 - 19:09
Baz Anderson
Staff
Yep. Whenever I go and work at the falconry centre I can see their mother.
We have a room of rats there, so that's where I got these from. I am almost 100% sure these are related, there aren't any others that look like them in there.
06.01.2010 - 13:08
Little Death
Cookie Monster
Written by Baz Anderson on 03.01.2010 at 17:44

Hahaha, I didn't know you could even keep hedgehogs as pets. Can you buy them in Finland, or do you steal them from the side of the road?

I bought Onni from a reliable hedgehog breeder. Hedgehogs can also be bought from pet shops but those hedgehogs often have some diseases. I'd never take an animal from nature. African pygmy hedgehogs and long-eared hedgehogs are legal pets in Finland. European hedgehogs are endangered and on a protection list in several countries. Those are the ones that live in the woods here.
----
Come to the dark side, we have cookies.
06.01.2010 - 13:56
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by Little Death on 06.01.2010 at 13:08

Hahaha, I didn't know you could even keep hedgehogs as pets. Can you buy them in Finland, or do you steal them from the side of the road?

I bought Onni from a reliable hedgehog breeder. Hedgehogs can also be bought from pet shops but those hedgehogs often have some diseases. I'd never take an animal from nature. African pygmy hedgehogs and long-eared hedgehogs are legal pets in Finland. European hedgehogs are endangered and on a protection list in several countries. Those are the ones that live in the woods here.

A hedgehog sounds like a pretty cool pet, but I think you can't get them here (although I'm not sure ). I've seen one running around in front of my house though, that was quite cool
10.01.2010 - 22:41
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
(As some of you already may know) I sssssoooooo want a pet ferret. I actually ferret-sit for a friend, but don't actually own one. :'( I think it's fascinating how energetic and curious they are. They could be in the same room they have been in for DAYS, but always go on adventures around the room exploring and shit. I love it when it loots my stuff. She always finds new things to horde. Uuuuugggghhhhh... I want oooonnnneeeee!!! :O
11.01.2010 - 00:50
Baz Anderson
Staff
Ferrets are great. We have six at the falconry centre and they're little bundles of joy.
11.01.2010 - 01:02
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Baz Anderson on 11.01.2010 at 00:50

Ferrets are great. We have six at the falconry centre and they're little bundles of joy.

I KNOW. They always look like they are having the time of their life ALL THE TIME. :O
11.01.2010 - 10:41
tulkas
el parcero
A cool pet would be a monkey like the one Ace Ventura had. They're so cool

----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
11.01.2010 - 12:22
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 10.01.2010 at 22:41

(As some of you already may know) I sssssoooooo want a pet ferret. I actually ferret-sit for a friend, but don't actually own one. :'( I think it's fascinating how energetic and curious they are. They could be in the same room they have been in for DAYS, but always go on adventures around the room exploring and shit. I love it when it loots my stuff. She always finds new things to horde. Uuuuugggghhhhh... I want oooonnnneeeee!!! :O

I've had 3 ferrets at once. They are one of the best and most intelligent pets you can have. They will be your new best friend I'd never just have 1 though. They are very social and almost need a same species buddy. They have as much personality as a cat or dog and then some. The problem is that They don't live as long as the aforementioned (cat, dog) and that can be difficult.
----
Coldgrits
11.01.2010 - 14:49
Oracle
Orcinus
I would like a pet python.. it would be pretty cool to have one of those. Or any reptile as a pet for that matter.. ORR a pet tarantula... they are pretty cool too.
But i don't think Matt would allow that so i think i will just stick to getting a dog or something along those lines :
12.01.2010 - 02:02
amartyrc0mplex
Account deleted
Oracle: Tarantulas are native to the area I'm living in now and they're interesting. I kept 5 over the course of a couple months (finding a bigger one and letting the smaller one go lol) and I've come to like them. I was kind of thrown off at first cause I was expecting them to get a lot more vicious than they are but they're really quite docile. Feeding them is fun to watch, too. They usually plod along at an less-than-astounding pace but when food's involved they book.

I have a pit right now and he's my best friend. I've been looking into other dogs to keep him company around the house when I'm gone and I really want to find a Boerboel (South African Mastiff.) They are all that is dog.
12.01.2010 - 15:07
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Name: Lothar
Race: Labrador Retriever

(sorry for such a load of images )
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

12.01.2010 - 20:00
Ragana
Rawrcat
Oh my... he's so ADORABLE! I love labradors ever since the film "Air Bud" came out, haha. They look so friendly and nice, oh, and playful.
12.01.2010 - 20:03
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Ellrohir on 12.01.2010 at 15:07

He looks really sad in this one. I dunno what it is, but when dogs have that depressed look on their face, it really pisses me off for some reason. It's like, "You really don't have anything to be sad about. So stop looking so fucking sad!" >=O
13.01.2010 - 00:50
Liisi
I have a cat called Slayer. she got this name bcuz she is sooo cute and always wants to sleep on top of me.
----
i may be small, i may be cute, but baby, i know how to move my feet!
13.01.2010 - 01:23
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 12.01.2010 at 20:03

He looks really sad in this one.

he is sad, because he just realized, i am taking his pic again ... he somehow doesnt like it - like me ... it took me ages to convince him not to turn his head away to get the last photo
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

08.02.2010 - 17:11
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
I'm thinking of buying a gray-african-parrot but have got 2 problems:

1. Since i won't be home for long hours, the poor bird will get bored. Although it ain't a big deal for i can leave a player on so that it's entertained by listening to my albums when i'm out and then i'll have a kreig growling parrot, besides finding it repeating/singing along a song one day makes me exulted!

2. Can't convince myself of keeping it in a cage. I'm entirely against making them incapable of flying via surgery and i hate cutting feathers...Fine with me if it chews everything, i just fear the escape. There's some hope left though because i've heard that once they trust you won't fly away albeit given the chance.

The more intelligent a specie the more we'll enjoy their company and the more they'll suffer from captivity. Shit! With this feeling of mine towards animals, there's no chance of finding a proper pet. It's me who has to move to a jungle and live with free happy animals.
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
10.02.2010 - 06:41
Misandry
Written by AiwiAstwihad on 08.02.2010 at 17:11

The more intelligent a specie the more we'll enjoy their company and the more they'll suffer from captivity. Shit! With this feeling of mine towards animals, there's no chance of finding a proper pet. It's me who has to move to a jungle and live with free happy animals.

I know what you mean. I can't even be a commanding alpha when I have pets - which makes it really hard for me to train dogs.

Of course, I want a dog. An Irish wolfhound, to be exact. And two cats - both Maine Coons, and I'd like them to have opposing colour types. (one white, the other black) But I'm not sure it'd be such a great idea to have an Irish Wolfhound, because I live in an apartment. And those dogs can grow to be 6 feet tall when standing up... They also have pretty short life-spans, due to them being so large a breed. So I may just settle for a husky.

And it would also be really cool to have an albino python - but I've only ever seen one. And it was amazing. I just don't know if I could feed it. ...or clean it's cage after it eats all those cute little mice. And a snake is an animal that I can't imagine being caged... Especially if it's an older python... But once again, I live in an apartment complex, and I'm sure that if the python got out of my house, I'd be in serious trouble...
----
"Death solves all problems. No man, no problem." - Stalin
10.02.2010 - 19:06
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by Misandry on 10.02.2010 at 06:41

I know what you mean. I can't even be a commanding alpha when I have pets - which makes it really hard for me to train dogs.

Of course, I want a dog. An Irish wolfhound, to be exact. And two cats - both Maine Coons, and I'd like them to have opposing colour types. (one white, the other black) But I'm not sure it'd be such a great idea to have an Irish Wolfhound, because I live in an apartment. And those dogs can grow to be 6 feet tall when standing up... They also have pretty short life-spans, due to them being so large a breed. So I may just settle for a husky.

And it would also be really cool to have an albino python - but I've only ever seen one. And it was amazing. I just don't know if I could feed it. ...or clean it's cage after it eats all those cute little mice. And a snake is an animal that I can't imagine being caged... Especially if it's an older python... But once again, I live in an apartment complex, and I'm sure that if the python got out of my house, I'd be in serious trouble...

I once saw a viper, it was amazing. Doubtlessly i'd like to have one but again don't want to give it a torturious life in a cage.

You're right about the appartment thing, the sorrowfull fact is that many people think food is all a pet needs.
They live in an apartment yet buy a cat for 700$. Pay no attention to him, trap him between the 4 walls...why? because they can afford it.
Or keep a baby tiger/lion as a pet...have its claws removed by sergury and idiotically brag about it...Again because they can afford it.
Canaries are said not to sing when kept in pairs so the ignorant owner seprates them so they'll sing. Given that saying is true, Canaries are not there to sing for you retard!
Worse than all, irresponsible parents who buy their kids pets without educating them. The naiive child treats the poor animal like a lifeless toy and the parents blisfully yell: "See how playfull my cute son is?"...That's when you like to give those assholes a punch in face.
----
11.02.2010 - 00:07
Misandry
Written by AiwiAstwihad on 10.02.2010 at 19:06

I once saw a viper, it was amazing. Doubtlessly i'd like to have one but again don't want to give it a torturious life in a cage.

You're right about the appartment thing, the sorrowfull fact is that many people think food is all a pet needs.
They live in an apartment yet buy a cat for 700$. Pay no attention to him, trap him between the 4 walls...why? because they can afford it.
Or keep a baby tiger/lion as a pet...have its claws removed by sergury and idiotically brag about it...Again because they can afford it.
Canaries are said not to sing when kept in pairs so the ignorant owner seprates them so they'll sing. Given that saying is true, Canaries are not there to sing for you retard!
Worse than all, irresponsible parents who by their kids pets without educating them. The naiive child treats the poor animal like a lifeless toy and the parents blisfully yell: "See how playfull my cute son is?"...That's when you like to give those assholes a punch in face.

Oh, the irresponsible parents are the worst, because then their kid grows up and teaches his kid that way, too. And I hate it when people will tell me about a pet they had that died because they forgot about it - like a rat or a goldfish. Sure, the animal was small - but you killed it. People should probably try to educate themselves on the personalities and actual needs of the animals they want to own.
----
11.02.2010 - 16:45
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by Misandry on 11.02.2010 at 00:07

I hate it when people will tell me about a pet they had that died because they forgot about it - like a rat or a goldfish. Sure, the animal was small - but you killed it.

And when you criticise their reprehensible behaviour, after giving you an indifferent look, they say: "Come on! There's millions of them dying out there."
----
12.02.2010 - 07:15
vkajko
Written by Ernis on 23.11.2009 at 21:41

Written by [user id=2084] on 23.11.2009 at 06:10

show your dominance no matter what situation (emotional/physical) they will eventually pack down and give in...just don't give in is basically the key with a K9...

The mistake many people make when taking dogs as pets is by dealing with them the wrong way. When the dog is small and cute one must not be all "OH WHAT A CUTIE YOU ARE! OH you're so sweet!" You must not let the dog lick yourself, jump on you or anything....if one lets this happen the dog will grow to be the dominant side and when it grows big, there's no way to re-train it....for the dog there's no difference if it's a human or another dog....everyone surrounding the dog is a member of the pack...if you deliberately show yourself as the "giving-in" side, then the dog will take the leader position and then it'll basically do whatever it wants....dog raising is a whole art...there's books bout these but sad thing is that a lot of people don't know a shit bout it and then they are "Who do you think you are to tell me that! My dog's so cute and loves me....I know everything!"...well...if a dog has not been properly trained, you may say it loves you but it'll definitely not obey you....

A sign of it are dogs who bark endlessly and jump etc on random people....if properly trained, they will not bark at every passer-by...they know the situation when to open their mouths...they know their tasks and their functions...it's actually sad when people get a dog, act all fluffy and nice with it when it's small and then chain it up in their garden thinking it'll understand everything...no...the animal gets a trauma and becomes a maniac...

Oh god I had to post about this because for some reason people still view negative reinforcement and alpha training as the correct way to train dogs. I work with dogs. I am going to school to become a Vet and I have taken many behavior classes at local shelters. Trying to be the alpha in a dog human relationship has more adverse affects than good ones. When you alpha roll a dog or try to mimic the pack behavior in wolves you will teach that dog nothing except to fear you and other humans.

A human is not a dog, we don't have hackles or a tail, or any of the key body parts dogs use to "talk" to each other. Also dogs are domesticated, thus they are not wolves. This is especially shown when you take your dog to see other dogs or to a dog park, a wolf wouldn't meet other wolves wagging it's tail and trying to play. They are very pack orientated so another dog that isn't part of that pack is a threat. This is not the case with dogs because they don't establish packs, they don't need to to survive. Dogs will have a hierarchy in the house, where one is the dominant one and gets treats first, petted first ect., but it isn't a pack. In a wolf pack the alpha pair don't lead or boss the other wolfs around. The only thing they get to do is freely move about and the female is the only one who gets to mate. Alpha rolling occurs in wolf packs, but it isn't the alpha pair doing it to the others, it is any of the wolves in that pack doing it to each other to get a message across.

This is the main reason why you aren't the pack leader to your dogs because not even wolves have them and dogs are domesticated thus they have no need for a "leader". Yes, it is true that if you just coddle a puppy and not start positive reinforcement training they will become an untrained terror. But if you just simply train your dog based on giving treats for the behavior wanted this won't happen. And any dog can be trained to do anything no matter the age, background, or whatever.
13.02.2010 - 01:59
Misandry
Written by AiwiAstwihad on 11.02.2010 at 16:45

And when you criticise their reprehensible behaviour, after giving you an indifferent look, they say: "Come on! There's millions of them dying out there."

Exactly! As if that makes it any better! Grrr... Just because humans are 'top of the food chain' doesn't mean that the rest of the animal kingdom doesn't matter.
----
14.02.2010 - 03:17
ssjvillian
I have four pets total. Three cats and a small dog. Two of the cats are maine coons, and I've fallen in love with the little fuckers. They cause so much terror, but somehow look cute doing it.
14.02.2010 - 03:24
danielllewis
My god, if you have a dog, pick up their shit! Around here all these fucks walk their dogs and just leave it there.

Anyways, I have a cat that kinda acts like a dog. She follows me around begging for food and comes when she's called. I doubt there are other cats that do that.
----
14.02.2010 - 03:36
ssjvillian
My dog doesn't go out, as she's a little panzy. People do that around here too, and it fuckin pisses me off.
My maine coons follow us around and come when called...but that's the way their breed acts though. So I suppose it isn't special.
14.02.2010 - 06:05
vkajko

Written by Little Death on 04.12.2009 at 21:38

@ Baz Your rats are so cute. It's shame that not so many people want to have rats as pets.

I have an African Pygmy Hedgehog called Onni. He's almost 2 years and 3 months old, which means he's nearly middle-aged. He's very antisocial, but I love him very much, he's my baby boy (the feeling is not mutual). I've uploaded a photo of him in my profile.

I'd like to have a dog, but I have to wait for a couple of more years, because my sister is allergic and she still visits home too often. I can't wait to move on my own. :

Yeh, my mum hasn't met the rats and she doesn't seem keen on the idea - which is a shame because they are very friendly. Very intelligent too.

I finally gave them names!! (Well, the two I have now... the black one is now in someone else's care because I thought it was growing some gentleman's parts... so I hopefully have two sisters now!)

Here's Slipper:

and Nibble:

These rats look like roan (a fur type). They are really cool. As they get older they start loosing all their brown, black or agouti turning all white
Here is more infor about them: http://www.dreameyce.com/eagleseye/rattery/ratinfo/huskyrats.htm
14.02.2010 - 14:19
Baz Anderson
Staff
Yes, I think they will get lighter. They are a tiny bit whiter than when I got them, but the change isn't happening like it is shown on that website.
These rats are a few months old now, and are still quite dark.

A friend of mine also has a male rat of the same colour type, he is older and is a lot lighter... so I'll just have to see how mine turn out.
01.03.2010 - 02:29
Baz Anderson
Staff
Few more, why not:

First two are Nibble, last is Slipper.
01.03.2010 - 04:00
Oracle
Orcinus
Written by Ellrohir on 12.01.2010 at 15:07

Name: Lothar
Race: Labrador Retriever

(sorry for such a load of images )

He is so cute i would love to own a Labrador retriever. Unfortunately i can't have pets such as cats and dogs at my place though