Metal Storm logo
MSv4 Is Online

The new Metal Storm version is now online, just in time for the closing of the MS Awards! Quite a few things changed in the layout, but hopefully it won't present a challenge - we tried to keep things simple.

Navigation menu is now on the top, with the login/user and search menus. Instead of two sidebars, there's now only one. Several things from the old layout are missing, but some of them will come back (New releases/Top 200 in the sidebar). Other things will be adjusted with time.

It's now also possible to register/login with Facebook. If you want to connect your account to Facebook account, go to the 'Edit profile' page and enter your Facebook ID there. After that logging in will be a single-click thing.

Many of you will probably miss the old Metal Storm and wonder if the changes were really necessary - but here at MS we continue moving forward, and this is the look of Metal Storm for the 2010's.

EDIT: New layout settings added: Collapse header and Hide scroller - you can adjust them in your Settings. Also, left menu panels are now collapsible, and the opened tabs are saved in cookies for the next session.

Source: metalstorm.net
Posted: 28.02.2011 by Ivan

Comments page 2 / 5

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 145   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 455 users
28.02.2011 - 21:11
King Ajax
Written by Angelique on 28.02.2011 at 21:08

Written by King Ajax on 28.02.2011 at 21:01

I don't like change! I loved the old design, I really miss the musician's birthday thing that was on the side.

It's still there, check out the tab "today" under shoutbox

Oh, I see. Thank you.
----
Metal Up Your Ass!
28.02.2011 - 21:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BitterCOld on 28.02.2011 at 21:09

Lmao at some people flying off the handle. same site, same content, same community, only with a facelift.

yes you merry a women whit long hair and after 10 years you come home she's skinhead whit many tattoes on her beg,a rms, elgs and fake boobs and she start smoke and use heroin, will she be same what you loved and merried?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.02.2011 - 21:15
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
This new layout terrifies me, but I might as well get used to it.
28.02.2011 - 21:16
Deadsoulman
Elite
Written by Bad English on 28.02.2011 at 20:46

IMO there shood be member vote for such majoy change

Lol at that. Way to never change anything ever, buddy.
28.02.2011 - 21:17
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Bad English on 28.02.2011 at 21:13

Written by BitterCOld on 28.02.2011 at 21:09

Lmao at some people flying off the handle. same site, same content, same community, only with a facelift.

yes you merry a women whit long hair and after 10 years you come home she's skinhead whit many tattoes on her beg,a rms, elgs and fake boobs and she start smoke and use heroin, will she be same what you loved and merried?

my wife has changed her hairstyle and color several times in the last 10 years. so what? she's still the same person... and this site is still the same content/community.

and are you implying Ivan is using heroin?

it's the same fucking site only with cosmetic differences... so the "hairstyle" analogy fits. heroin... not so much.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.02.2011 - 21:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Deadsoulman on 28.02.2011 at 21:16

Written by Bad English on 28.02.2011 at 20:46

IMO there shood be member vote for such majoy change

Lol at that. Way to never change anything ever, buddy.

I dont like changes, if I would like I wont wear same jeans 10 years and its werry hard to use to its to big changes , werry big alomst like new site , if it hepen step by step maybe but Im wery conservarive, I even dont like when my mother comes to my PC and put table lapm lil diferent , then I cdant put it beck how it was
----

28.02.2011 - 21:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BitterCOld on 28.02.2011 at 21:17

[
my wife has changed her hairstyle and color several times in the last 10 years. so what? she's still the same person... and this site is still the same content/community.

it's the same fucking site only with cosmetic differences... so the "hairstyle" analogy fits. heroin... not so much.

It was example ,
----

28.02.2011 - 21:20
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
Written by BitterCOld on 28.02.2011 at 21:17

Exactly! It's just a new look. I don't get why everyone is flying off the handle. I spent about 10 minutes going through everything and I'm already getting used it.
28.02.2011 - 21:25
WorpeX
Made of Metal
I just dont like looking to the right to read. xD
28.02.2011 - 21:26
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
Letters look weird. There either too big (at default size), or too small, when i zoom out.
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
28.02.2011 - 21:28
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Haha, I think it just shows how much people care about this site really when they over react
I certainly will miss the old layout, but I'll give myself some time to get used to the new layout. I agree with Array that now the shout box is on my left I feel left-handed lol

Anyway, Ivan must have worked really hard on this, so thanks (=
----
loves 小巫
28.02.2011 - 21:34
Stigmatized
Looks fine to me, just takes time to adjust. I actually like that MS changes layouts every few years.
28.02.2011 - 21:37
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Keep in mind people the changeover happened like...an hour ago or something. There's still a bit of ironing out to do.
I think once you guys take a look around and get used to where everything is now, you'll find it to be a much better site navigation wise.

$10 bucks says Ellrohir will come crawling back in a matter of hours.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
28.02.2011 - 21:37
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
The old layout was the reason why new visitors didn't leave the site when they got bored in the first 5 minutes. This, coming from a top class staff of a top class website, is extremely surprising. I don't doubt that it was hard work, no, very hard work, but it is not needed. Such a bold move should need more explanation than
Quote:
but here at MS we continue moving forward, and this is the look of Metal Storm for the 2010's.

Wanting to attract : this is the reason why good things become bad. MS : the new CoB?
28.02.2011 - 21:40
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Carl Berg on 28.02.2011 at 21:37

The old layout was the reason why new visitors didn't leave the site when they got bored in the first 5 minutes. This, coming from a top class staff of a top class website, is extremely surprising. I don't doubt that it was hard work, no, very hard work, but it is not needed. Such a bold move should need more explanation than
Quote:
but here at MS we continue moving forward, and this is the look of Metal Storm for the 2010's.

Wanting to attract : this is the reason why good things become bad. MS : the new CoB?

Give it some time, perhaps you'll find yourself finding a couple of things actually are turn out to be a little better than before. Transitions are rarely smooth, we get that. Just give it time.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
28.02.2011 - 21:42
Fane
Ok, the first impressions:
- OMGWTFBIGICONS!!!1 Why? It seems odd to have such big and 'trendy" icons here at MS.
- Yes, overall too big. Not only the icons, which deserve their own point. The whole home page looks huge imo. It complicates the page for nothing as small icons worked rather well "in the good old days".
- This doesn't feel like MS. I first appeared here many years before I registered and I've seen only improvements. Now this update takes a step back and crushes the cozy feeling I've had here before. Almost dramatic! Also I think this design isn't personal in any way. Most probably that wasn't your object with the new design, but really: do we metalheads want to have a website that looks like any other social network or pop music site? Only difference comes from the album covers and colors.
- Headlines on the front page don't stand out. I thought the purpose of the headlines were to attract reader's attention.
- The album review bar at the top. Again, why would we need this? If we need to read album reviews, we just click once on the left sidebar and choose the album. You could consider to remove the top bar and have a pop-up with short passage of the review's beginning when mouse is moved over the album.

Now that I've crushed your update, here are some improvements:
+ The 'control bar' at the top is wonderful. Seriously, with a little bit smaller "boxes" (or some cool design) it's perfect. How come we never had that before?
+ Colors are good. Ok, they didn't change that much, but still. Keep it like that.
+ The whole left sidebar as well. It's now easier to scroll through news, interviews, reviews etc. with the sidebar.

My suggestion: Keep the technical improvements, but please stay out of the 'trendy' line with big shiny things and over-complicated designs. Instead create something personal.
----
Coffee for power
Music for creativity
Sarcasm for fun
28.02.2011 - 21:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Don't know how it will look on a regular computer but on my Nokia N97 smartphone the new set up is horrendous. No shoutbox, no album reviews on the frontpage and many more problems.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.02.2011 - 21:52
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.02.2011 at 21:43

Don't know how it will look on a regular computer but on my Nokia N97 smartphone the new set up is horrendous. No shoutbox, no album reviews on the frontpage and many more problems.

Yes, exactly.
28.02.2011 - 21:54
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by [user id=109200] on 28.02.2011 at 21:52

Looks allright on my X6...
28.02.2011 - 21:54
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
One more thing - why doesn't the left bar follow you when you scroll down? As is - there's just too much of empty space on the left one you scroll down a bit.
----

28.02.2011 - 21:55
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite

It looks fantastic on my iphone... maybe your problem lies in the fact you're using symbian
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
28.02.2011 - 21:57
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk on 28.02.2011 at 21:54

One more thing - why doesn't the left bar follow you when you scroll down? As is - there's just too much of empty space on the left one you scroll down a bit.

Possibly a very good suggestion, but I'm afraid it'll look horrible if your pc/internet connection is slow. But if it can be done smoothly, or somehow 'stuck', it's perhaps a very good suggestion.
----

28.02.2011 - 21:57
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 28.02.2011 at 21:55

It looks fantastic on my iphone... maybe your problem lies in the fact you're using symbian

Nah he has an old model xD
28.02.2011 - 21:59
Elodie Artour
Slania
Okay, now that I've calmed down, everything looks much better, haha. I've definitely got used to the new layout already. By the way, thank Satan all letters are bigger!
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
28.02.2011 - 22:01
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
Everything may be a bit large... but that is the only complaint I have. Looks good otherwise
28.02.2011 - 22:02
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
Written by Elodie Artour on 28.02.2011 at 21:59

Okay, now that I've calmed down, everything looks much better, haha. I've definitely got used to the new layout already. By the way, thank Satan all letters are bigger!

You like this size of letters?
I find them too big. My eyes start to tire very fast if I don't move away from the monitor more than usual (but maybe the fact I've been playing Minecraft the whole day doesn't help ).
----

28.02.2011 - 22:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

that's not an excuse it should look normal on all operating systems not only on the gay ass monopolists Apple.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.02.2011 - 22:03
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.02.2011 at 22:02

that's not an excuse it should look normal on all operating systems not only on the gay ass monopolists Apple.

haha yeah you're right about that.
----

28.02.2011 - 22:04
Elodie Artour
Slania
Written by Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk on 28.02.2011 at 22:02

Written by Elodie Artour on 28.02.2011 at 21:59

You like this size of letters?
I find them too big. My eyes start to tire very fast if I don't move away from the monitor more than usual (but maybe the fact I've been playing Minecraft the whole day doesn't help ).

I wear glasses and I've previously complained about the small size of letters (on the last version.)
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
28.02.2011 - 22:07
>Odysseus
Isn't the font a little large ?
i liked it when it was more compact

Hits total: 7398 | This month: 7