Metal Storm logo
H.R. Giger - Iconic Surrealist Artist Passes Away

Swiss renowned surrealist artist H.R. Giger has passed away. H. R. Giger is known for his sculptures, paintings and furniture, and also for designing the monster in the Alien movies, and several metal album covers like Celtic Frost's legendary To Mega Therion, and Carcass' Heartwork front album sculpture. More recently, his artwork was featured on Triptykon's new album Melana Chasmata and also Eparistera Daimones. Giger has died at the age of 74, as a result of injuries sustained in a fall, Swiss public television, SRF, has reported.

You can read Triptykon's heartfelt words about the artist on their Facebook page. Tom Warrior says: "Regardless of anything I may write about H.R. Giger, however, none of these words will ever be able to truly, accurately describe him as a person and as a friend. It is utterly inconceivable to imagine a world without his wit, his perception, his genius, his horizon, his determination, his humour, his friendship, and his immeasurable kindness. And yet, we are now left in exactly such a world."

Other album covers by H.R. Giger include Atrocity's Hallucinations, Danzig's Danzig III: How The Gods Kill, and many more.

Artwork for Triptykon's Melana Chasmata

Artwork for Celtic Frost's To Mega Therion

May he rest in peace.

In 1998, he opened his own museum, H.R. Giger Museum, in Gruyères in central Switzerland, which displays many of his own paintings, sculptures and film designs as well as his private art collection.

Source: swissinfo.ch
Band profile: Triptykon
Posted: 13.05.2014 by toxx

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 73   Visited by: 283 users
13.05.2014 - 17:59
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Hey dude, it's ok if you don't like his work. You can even hate it if you like... That's not even the point here.

The point is that questioning why he deserved a piece of news in Metalstorm IS stupid. No matter how you look at it. Even someone who just started listening to metal and just discovered Giger's connection with metal would understand.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.05.2014 - 17:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I am not saying you have to like his work. You can hate his work. But saying the guy is unknown is just downright ridiculous. Giger is one of the biggest and best known contemporary artists around and had a HUGE influence on metal cover art. Especially when you compare it to an artwork nobody such as Alf Borjesson.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.05.2014 - 18:05
mz
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.05.2014 at 17:52

Giger btw got an Oscar for the art direction of Alien. The Dimmu Borgir guy might at most get laughed at for his horrendous work for Dimmu Borgir covers.

haha this was great.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
13.05.2014 - 18:34
Ocean Sage
R.I.P. sir, you are a legend in the art world. Giger's works have graced movies, albums and so much more. He was really unique in that style. It's a shame. No one could ever replace this man's style.
13.05.2014 - 18:35
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Bad English on 13.05.2014 at 17:44

To be honnest I dont remeber .... but those were well known news, but this is like small Chila twm major dies comparing whit M Teacher died , if you get my point

Now that was one of the lamest, dumbest comments EVER here one MS.
As already pointed Giger was an important artist, especially compared to that Dimmu nobody.
Never heard of him? Never heard of the Aliens films, of Celtic Frost / Tryptikon, of Magma...? Well you can keep living in a cave if you want
You have every right to dislike/hate his work (I usually don't like what he did to be honest). To each his own
You have every right to be a moron, but next time think twice about it. Thanks.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
13.05.2014 - 18:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I dont know him, I dont like such pointins, I dontlike aliens, movies about aliens, S Wiever others or what it calls, I did like as child not now(and please dont go to S Segal orJCVD shit) , I like some bands what he made artworks for, but I prefere realistic paindings as Börjesson even I dont like his, I mean that norbegian from 19th century or earlyer what painted landscapes and so on

if all would like this guy its same as saying manowar plays true metal, rest are posers
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.05.2014 - 18:38
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
So fucking sad. Already my day wasn't going well, office went shit and crap and now seeing this dreadful news has just added salt on my irritating wound.

What a great man. I might be one of those who Google his work when I get bored on internet. Not a single art or sculpture has ever been castigated, his work was awesome.

Sad news. RIP genius. You'll be missed and loved.
13.05.2014 - 18:39
Lit.
Account deleted
It is a damn shame indeed. R.I.P.

Also a damn shame a Dysgraphic moron turned what should've been a somber thread into a Trollfest by spewing nonsense. Seriously, you'd have to be living under a rock to not at least come across the name Giger. I heard about him even before I went into metal.
13.05.2014 - 18:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Darkside Momo on 13.05.2014 at 18:35

Written by Bad English on 13.05.2014 at 17:44

To be honnest I dont remeber .... but those were well known news, but this is like small Chila twm major dies comparing whit M Teacher died , if you get my point

Now that was one of the lamest, dumbest comments EVER here one MS.
As already pointed Giger was an important artist, especially compared to that Dimmu nobody.
Never heard of him? Never heard of the Aliens films, of Celtic Frost / Tryptikon, of Magma...? Well you can keep living in a cave if you want
You have every right to dislike/hate his work (I usually don't like what he did to be honest). To each his own
You have every right to be a moron, but next time think twice about it. Thanks.

Börjesson yes maybe you're wright, but i mean that other norvegian guy from old days as emperor and some other bands use as cover (if we can trust ma)
I know those bands , yes I do, I like music, but those are not my fav artworks and I dont like Alien films ... now make sence why I never liked those and never heard his name... I usuallu dont pay much attention to artwork painter
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.05.2014 - 18:44
garmling
Account deleted
Such sad news, but that's how the life goes...one day you're here, next you're gone...
Huge respect and my deepest condolence to his family and friends
RIP friend, your art will never be forgotten
13.05.2014 - 18:45
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Guys, this is a true loss, he had huge influence on metal artworks, true, a great artist, still there might be people who don't know him by his name and just know the artworks on the different metal albums but have no idea that all of them done by one artist, like I must admit that I didn't know his name sadly until his death, and because I don't care much for awards like Oscar, I didn't know him by that either.

I checked out more of his works today, awesome pieces of art, truly creative and unique, but I prefer an artist like Beksinski's but needless to say this doesn't make Giger's works any less valuable and artful or I wouldn't praise his masterful paintings, I even love to have one of those pieces as a poster or on a t-shirt.

Anyhow thanks to MS now that I know another influential artist in metal scene though sadly he's gone.
----
The Fangirl.
13.05.2014 - 18:45
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by mz on 13.05.2014 at 16:32

was wondering if anyone is going to be as good as him.

I personally really like Wrest's artwork, it kinda reminds me of Giger's in some ways actually (similar depictions of otherworldly creatures and that "what the fuck?" feeling you get when looking at it). However, he's not nearly as prolific or widespread across the scene as was Giger, so I doubt he'll ever end up moving that far beyond his little circle of obscurity. Him doing the recent Lord Mantis artwork could be a hint though, I mean they're still pretty underground, but have steadily been gaining recognition as well in the past couple years.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
13.05.2014 - 19:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Bad English on 13.05.2014 at 18:37
if all would like this guy its same as saying manowar plays true metal, rest are posers

This is the worst attempt at covering your tracks I've ever seen. If you can't own up to your opinions then why bother stating them in the first place? I have no issue with anyone who's never heard of Giger (not everyone can remember everything or has been exposed to everything) but rather than spend half-a-second looking him up, you question why this particular news article is "worthy" of being posted on Metal Storm. That's where you make yourself really look like an idiot, and that's why people are so quick to point out how much of an idiot you are. It has nothing to do with hive mentality, censorship, or whatever poseur bullshit you're on about.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.05.2014 - 19:10
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
RIP HR Giger, your artwork was some of the most unique and creative I've ever seen.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
13.05.2014 - 19:11
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Bad English on 13.05.2014 at 18:37

I dont know him, I dont like such pointins, I dontlike aliens, movies about aliens, S Wiever others or what it calls, I did like as child not now(and please dont go to S Segal orJCVD shit) , I like some bands what he made artworks for, but I prefere realistic paindings as Börjesson even I dont like his, I mean that norbegian from 19th century or earlyer what painted landscapes and so on

Literally no one gives a flying fuck what you do and don't like. What we are frustrated about is your blatant disregard for the incredible impact HR Giger had on the world, and more importantly, the metal world. I mean the guy won a fucking Oscar, and you say that he's not significant enough to warrant a news post. No offense to Alf Børjesson, but his shitty artwork is nowhere near as significant nor influential as Giger is, was, and always will be. Stop trying to justify your misinformed and heinous statements and just own up to the fact that you were and are wrong. Now please stop fueling the shitstorm that you have incurred.
13.05.2014 - 19:11
afu
Giger is my favorite artist. I hold him in the same esteem as Michaelangelo, Klimt, and Dali. I have some prints, posters, and lithographs of his in my music room. My favorite of his work is "Li". He was definitely one-of-a-kind and the world is worse off without him.
13.05.2014 - 19:15
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I'd also like to point out that my facebook feed is currently packed with bands (ranging from Antrhax to Autopsy) honoring Giger. Really nice to see so many people paying respect to a man truley worthy of it
13.05.2014 - 19:17
Warman
Erotic Stains
This will be my vote for drama of the year in the next MS awards. I agree with everyone here (except for one obvious,of course). K7 started with saying that this guy has nothing to do with metal (which is wrong), therefore these news shouldn't be here. Now, instead of admiting he's wrong, this isn't Metal Storm news because that (unknown) Dimmu Borgir guy is better, in his opinion. Oh, and he doesn't like "Alien".
----
13.05.2014 - 19:19
moonflash
Even though I'm not hugely art savvy, I do understand the gravity of the loss that the art community and fans must feel at the death of this masterful surrealist. So guys, let's all just relax, step back and admire the genius that was Mr. Giger's intricate mind.

----
[http://atthematinee.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/voyagedans.jpg]
13.05.2014 - 19:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by afu on 13.05.2014 at 19:11

Giger is my favorite artist. I hold him in the same esteem as Michaelangelo, Klimt, and Dali. I have some prints, posters, and lithographs of his in my music room. My favorite of his work is "Li". He was definitely one-of-a-kind and the world is worse off without him.

How much did the prints and lithographs cost you, if I might ask? I would love to have some of those myself. I have both his Necronomicon books and the Biomechanics book as well as other books by and about him.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.05.2014 - 19:30
afu
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.05.2014 at 19:23

Written by afu on 13.05.2014 at 19:11

How much did the prints and lithographs cost you, if I might ask? I would love to have some of those myself. I have both his Necronomicon books and the Biomechanics book as well as other books by and about him.

It was over a decade ago and I don't exactly recall, but none were massively expensive. They were mass produced, not any of the numbered and limited type of runs.
13.05.2014 - 19:36
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Shit, sad news out of nowhere.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
13.05.2014 - 19:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Btw, a total shame the totally crappy reissue cover of T Mega Therion was used in the news item
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.05.2014 - 20:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.05.2014 at 19:39

Btw, a total shame the totally crappy reissue cover of T Mega Therion was used in the news item

Gotta agree with that (I have that version....xD)

This is where it's at:

----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.05.2014 - 20:38
LordHypnos
Account deleted
What, he made the Alien?! Fuck, I didn't know that. I recognize him because of Heartwork. Too bad he died.
Rest in peace.
13.05.2014 - 20:43
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Warman on 13.05.2014 at 19:17

This will be my vote for drama of the year in the next MS awards. I agree with everyone here (except for one obvious,of course). K7 started with saying that this guy has nothing to do with metal (which is wrong), therefore these news shouldn't be here. Now, instead of admiting he's wrong, this isn't Metal Storm news because that (unknown) Dimmu Borgir guy is better, in his opinion. Oh, and he doesn't like "Alien".

Probably k7 has made its way to Angel Reaper's Total Dicks Awards.
13.05.2014 - 21:13
Mechaniacal
This is the worst fucking piece of shit news I've received in a long time. Rest in peace.
13.05.2014 - 21:20
mz
Written by angel. on 13.05.2014 at 17:20

Written by mz on 13.05.2014 at 16:32
was wondering if anyone is going to be as good as him.

Perhaps Beksinski I think, but actually Beksinski already passed away in 2005.

thanks, will look at his works but I actually meant in the world of metal cover designing.
----
13.05.2014 - 21:26
mz
Written by Auntie Sahar on 13.05.2014 at 18:45

I personally really like Wrest's artwork, it kinda reminds me of Giger's in some ways actually (similar depictions of otherworldly creatures and that "what the fuck?" feeling you get when looking at it). However, he's not nearly as prolific or widespread across the scene as was Giger, so I doubt he'll ever end up moving that far beyond his little circle of obscurity. Him doing the recent Lord Mantis artwork could be a hint though, I mean they're still pretty underground, but have steadily been gaining recognition as well in the past couple years.

I really dislike Wrest's artworks. I adore his work as LoC but seriously, his covers are shitty on my eyes. I mean, how on the earth the cover of The Tenth Sub Level Of Suicide is any good? Even the one for Massive Conspiracy Against All Life is average.
Regarding LoM's new album, well I really fucking hate the cover, not because it's ugly or repulsive but because it does not have much creativity in it. Just compare it to the cover of their previous album.
Sorry for this reply but he'd better stick to music :p
----
13.05.2014 - 21:29
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by mz on 13.05.2014 at 21:26

how on the earth the cover of The Tenth Sub Level Of Suicide is any good? Even the one for Massive Conspiracy Against All Life is average.

Album covers should always try to reflect the atmosphere set by the music and its lyrical themes. In the case of both albums, the covers do just that: the music is raw, depressive, and sounds like the weary cry of someone at the point of death, and the covers thus both feature strange creatures writhing in agony.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII

Hits total: 7873 | This month: 18