Metal Storm logo
Lacuna Coil: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 17.05.2006 - 06:39
I thought we needed a new Lacuna Coil topic since the old one was pretty popular. Even though we're starting over, I'll make this a fairly tradition first post and introduce the band anyway.
Italy's Lacuna Coil are one of the most popular female fronted metal acts around. Although they're a pretty good band, much of their popularity can be attributed to the fact that their lead singer, Cristina Scabbia, is hot. (see footnote) This has drawn a great deal of criticism from some, who claim that LC is "all tits and no talent."
In the minds of many fans, Lacuna Coil have gone through 3 stages of development. There was the "wow, this is a great band" stage of their first 2 albums and EPs. In a Reverie and Unleashed Memories featured great vocals, intelligent, sensitive lyrics, and overall solid music. During this era, they toured with bands like Moonspell and The Gathering, and their popularity was limited mostly to a European audience.
Then came Comalies, the second "ok, that's commercial but I guess it's still pretty good" stage. Although some of the older fans didn't like the new LC sound, Comalies brought them world-wide popularity and a second stage gig at Ozzfest. It really was a pretty good album; admittedly, there's a little bit of nu-metal in there, but it makes it a little catchier and accessible. My only caveat is that the lyrics also took a nu-metal turn and lost the poeticism of their earlier work. As is always the case when a formerly unknown band becomes popular, there was the outcry that they "sold out." However, a much more common attitude was that yeah, they're getting popular, but I would rather hear them on the radio than any of the nu-metal crap they're supplanting.
Then there's the "wtf is this" stage, aka Karmacode. There's some good stuff on there - In Visible Light and Enjoy the Silence are 2 worthy tracks, IMO - but Karmacode was clearly created to get at the valuable Hot Topic crowd. Undoubtedly Lacuna Coil will gain some fans for this effort, but among many older and, dare I say it, more metal fans, it has inspired outright hatred. LC is scheduled to play the Ozzfest mainstage this year.

-------
25.03.2007 - 12:01
Anathemani@c
They are preety cool! Christina has a good voice.. But HEY! what do you mean with the phrase "The good the bad and the ungly" ?
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
27.03.2007 - 04:09
Bitch Boy
Lacuna Coil is a very enjoyable band for me. My favorite song, by far, is "Senzafine", and my favorite album is "Comalies". Cristina's vocals are really good, not the typical operatic-oriented, but still very melodic and strong.

Also, I think she's one of the sexiest in metal
26.04.2007 - 23:26
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I got their new album, "Karmacode" and the first thing that came to my mind is that they sound like Korn in many of their songs...
The album is quite enjoyable though
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
27.04.2007 - 05:27
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by The Alchemist on 26.04.2007 at 23:26

I got their new album, "Karmacode" and the first thing that came to my mind is that they sound like Korn in many of their songs...
The album is quite enjoyable though

Like KoRn? Not at all dude... Maybe with a lo of Nu Metal influence (We all know Cristina's boyfriend is Craig from Slipknot) but not like KoRn.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
27.04.2007 - 19:58
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Ok then, maybe their music doesn't sound like Korn, but like nu metal indeed
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
01.05.2007 - 12:04
Nazeef
at the begining I've established a very intimate relationship with the music of LACUNA COIL.
it was through their "In a Reverie", "Unleashed Memories" and "Halflife" albums...
It had a very spiritual breath, somehow pure and mystic.
My favorites were (Falling Again, Halflife, To live is to hide, Senzafine)
--- Comalies is not bad...
But the "Karmacode" record didn't touch me at all... I may judge it even Pop, or Sad Pop!
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
01.05.2007 - 12:09
Nazeef
Written by Bitch Boy on 27.03.2007 at 04:09

Lacuna Coil is a very enjoyable band for me. My favorite song, by far, is "Senzafine", and my favorite album is "Comalies". Cristina's vocals are really good, not the typical operatic-oriented, but still very melodic and strong.

Also, I think she's one of the sexiest in metal

I think you have put your hand on the wound...Metal is not for Sexies!!!!
as a main attitude at least..
And this is what CHRISTINA needs to know!!! Your Promos seems like MADONNA's
and your Last KARMACODE sounds like HOLYWOOD... I hate Ozzfest!!!!
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
01.05.2007 - 21:48
Bitch Boy
@ +{Cat Snout}+: I suppose that The Alchemist said that it sounds somehow like Korn because of the bass lines. I think I read somewhere that Korn was among their influences. For me Lacuna Coil is more alternative metal than gothic metal.

@ Myself: according to your statement, if a metal band has a sexy vocalist it can't play metal only because "metal is not for sexies"??

All metal bands should get a female vocalist like this girl, then:

Again, keep on tr00

:
08.05.2007 - 12:37
Elodie Artour
Slania
Lacuna Coil...I don't have the words to describe how much I like them!This is called a good band.Now I even like"Karmacode"which I used to dislike before some time.Cristina's vocal abilities are very interesting and she sings awesome live.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
08.05.2007 - 15:20
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
@Bitch Boy: and you don't think she's sexy!?!

Of course a metal band can have a sexy vocalist...numerous examples: Nightwish, Within Temptation, Arch Enemy and so on
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
08.05.2007 - 23:24
Bitch Boy
@ GT: oh well, she's got "another kind of beauty" but she isn't that sexy, then she can sing metal, as "metal isn't for sexies".
06.06.2007 - 02:48
Bitch Boy
Happy birthday to Cristina Scabbia
06.06.2007 - 19:31
eternalsoul
Account deleted
i like them so much*!!!
06.06.2007 - 19:39
Elodie Artour
Slania
Written by Bitch Boy on 06.06.2007 at 02:48

Happy birthday to Cristina Scabbia

Oh,she has a birthday today?I didn't know. *ashamed*

Well...HAPPY BIRTHDAY,CRISTINA!
----
07.06.2007 - 21:58
APOHAKC
The Bard
How old is she? She look like she is 20 years old
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
10.06.2007 - 23:30
Bitch Boy
Written by APOHAKC on 07.06.2007 at 21:58

She's actually 35
12.06.2007 - 21:34
Elodie Artour
Slania
It's a strange thing,but who cares? :
----
07.11.2007 - 12:58
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Just for information - Lacuna Coil has confirmed the following in-store signing sessions during the band's Australian tour:

Nov. 13 - JB Hi-Fi (206 Bourke St.) Melbourne at 2:00 p.m.
Nov. 15 - JB Hi-Fi (The Galleries Victoria, 500 George St,) Sydney at 2:00 p.m.
12.11.2007 - 10:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by APOHAKC on 07.06.2007 at 21:58

GHhahahahhahaha 20 years man she are about 30 , but who cares ... only THINK what I like in her...she loves wine
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.01.2008 - 16:34
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
The band prepares a new album which will be out in September 2008. Cristina Scabbia declared that for this 5th opus, the band was going to test, that the music would be very direct and different, while remaining faithful to the style of the Italian combo. Wait and see ...
10.01.2008 - 16:17
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Sunds like it's gonna have a bit more of Nu Metal influence in my opinion, maybe their new direction is towards alternative.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

12.01.2008 - 14:13
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I kinda forgot Lacuna Coil along the way, I don't really know why. I don't listen to any of their albums in a long long time.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
14.01.2008 - 16:36
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by BloodTears on 12.01.2008 at 14:13

I kinda forgot Lacuna Coil along the way, I don't really know why. I don't listen to any of their albums in a long long time.

Why?
----

14.01.2008 - 22:39
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 14.01.2008 at 16:36

Written by BloodTears on 12.01.2008 at 14:13

Why?

I guess I've been busy with other bands and also I think it is because they didnt leave a mark as to make me listen to them that much I guess.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
03.04.2008 - 15:59
MetalShadow
Account deleted
They are a very good band! I don't understand why i am the only one person in my school who knows them!!!!

PS: They are not nu-metal
03.04.2008 - 18:48
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by [user id=31812] on 03.04.2008 at 15:59

They are a very good band! I don't understand why i am the only one person in my school who knows them!!!!

PS: They are not nu-metal

Maybe other people at your school are not metalheads

No they're not. They're gothic with some nu influence.
They still kick ass.
----

02.06.2008 - 12:11
.mrt
There once was a tv show called "Estonia's looking for a superstar" and it had many moderate singers with more or less uninteresting pop songs and then last evening came this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AESULSzccE8
02.06.2008 - 14:59
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by .mrt on 02.06.2008 at 12:11

There once was a tv show called "Estonia's looking for a superstar" and it had many moderate singers with more or less uninteresting pop songs and then last evening came this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AESULSzccE8

She sounds allright, but he sounds like crap...always nice to see that even people dumb enough to participate in these kind of shows have some taste in music
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
02.06.2008 - 23:27
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I will never see them as a Gothic band...
Thjis stuff is almost happy... Gothic isn't happy, it has to be melancholic and the voice is too comercial from me @_____@

I will never like them :
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.06.2008 - 01:37
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by GT on 02.06.2008 at 14:59

Written by .mrt on 02.06.2008 at 12:11

She sounds allright, but he sounds like crap...always nice to see that even people dumb enough to participate in these kind of shows have some taste in music

Hmm cool video, I think she has a good voice - but I think her vocal style would be better for a different kind of metal. I didn't think his vocals were that bad though Probably because I don't think the original vocals are that difficult either. But yes it's at least a good thing that dumb people have good taste in music - maybe there is hope? Now if only there would be a group that would do Immortal covers....
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley