Metal Storm logo
Most depressingly sad song you've heard.

Original post

Posted by whatsacow, 23.03.2010 - 06:21
What is the most depressing, sad song, either lyrically, instrumentally or likewise, in any genre?
03.01.2012 - 22:16
theFIST
I usually don"t listen to depressive music, rather avoid it
the song i can think of as most depressing, because of a personal story, is
Somebody Died Tonight (Dagoba)
i heard it just before i got the news that my stepmother died the night before
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
03.01.2012 - 22:26
mcneely
Hurt by Johnny Cash or more or less any later Johnny Cash
04.01.2012 - 06:46
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
By the time you read this (I will already be dead) by Woods Of Ypres .
Listen and you will understand
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
04.01.2012 - 06:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Boxcar Willy on 04.01.2012 at 06:46

By the time I read those lyrics, he actually was dead. :/
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.01.2012 - 06:50
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.01.2012 at 06:47

Written by Boxcar Willy on 04.01.2012 at 06:46

By the time I read those lyrics, he actually was dead. :/

----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
13.01.2012 - 20:57
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
First one, as already mentioned in this thread:
I remember, I was listening to music in class with my best friend, she was doodling something and I was writing. This came up, we listened to it for about a minute and then agreed to change it when later at home I tried to listen to the full song, I teared up a couple of times. When it comes up on shuffle, I usually change it. I've gotten used to it but I can't bear it at all times.

What would this thread be without every Dream Theater fan's suicide song:
Awake has loads of seriously powerful shit, but this takes the depressing cake. The fact that the album ends with this one, is, well, darn depressing for the album.

And a personal pick:
Not a particularly sad song, but the variety of things I associate it with. No, no break-up stories, just fuck-up stories. I think everyone has a song like that.
----
7.0 means the album is good
13.01.2012 - 21:48
Slayer666
Written by Milena on 13.01.2012 at 20:57

I think everyone has a song like that.

14.01.2012 - 21:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Milena on 13.01.2012 at 20:57
just fuck-up stories. I think everyone has a song like that.

While I love the album version... The demo version takes the cake of being one of the most eeire and depressive songs I've heard. Extra points for being acustic. His vocals on 1:58 are just heartbreaking to me. An entire world of misery full of homeless and desperate people trying to survive, staring at me. I always get extremely empty when I listen to this song.

The kite string pops.
I'm swallowed whole by the sky...

Work for pay and pay for freedom
Fuck them all... We don't need them

The album version is still fucked-up but not as much. Everything sounds more clear, specially the vocals that get a less desperate vibe than the demo version.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.01.2012 - 22:33
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
There's one song that I cry when I listen to. But I won't tell, after all!
03.02.2012 - 07:17
Apatheria
The Stranger Song by Leonard Cohen.

Leonard Cohen's never been a happy camper and it's oft reflected in many of his tracks, but this one cripples my soul when I hear it.

My opinion might also be slanted because of the song's heavy involvement in McCabe and Mrs. Miller, which is easily the most heart-breaking film I've ever seen.
----
Heavy metal is the law.
04.02.2012 - 01:16
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
This would probably be up there, it's so sad it's uncomfortable :/

04.03.2012 - 09:56
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Rosetta - Homesick
Awesome cover...Rosetta nailed it!
04.03.2012 - 11:02
Apatheria
Here's a timeless downer from Bonnie Prince Billy.

Death to everyone, is gonna come...
And it makes livin', much more fun...
----
Heavy metal is the law.
05.03.2012 - 05:01
Rog-Mothoth

This is one of the few songs that had me tearing up a lil bit...

But on the metal spectum, this song is just so emotional in lyrics (but a tad bit cliche) and vocal/instrumental delivery... another great suicide song.
----
Written by [user id=115335] on 25.08.2011 at 06:44

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 25.08.2011 at 01:04

EVERYBODY CALM DOWN.

... I can hear your prog boners from here. D:<

Liar... Everyone knows the only way to sense a boner is by smell D:<
05.03.2012 - 12:20
IronAngel
Written by Apatheria on 04.03.2012 at 11:02

You win this topic. This and Leonard Cohen, easily the best suggestions so far. Judging by your profile, an excellent non-metal music taste in general.
05.03.2012 - 17:02
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Porcupine Tree - Way Out Of Here

"And I'll try to forget even your name
And the way that you look when you're sleeping"

Any Lunatic Soul seems to be profoundly sad... but beautiful.
06.03.2012 - 01:17
IronAngel
Just listening to Sun Kil Moon's debut again. This album is so incredibly good, possibly better than anything Mark Kozelek did with Red House Painters.

This song shreds me every time. I think it's about Katy, his ex-girlfriend who died of some disease somewhere between this album and the last RHP album. Then again, most of his songs are about her, I think. >_> Creepy guy (as in, she was already his ex-girlfriend well before dying), but kinda heart-wrenching.

06.03.2012 - 03:12
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Introspekrieg on 05.03.2012 at 17:02

Porcupine Tree - Way Out Of Here

The video to this song is about an event that happened about a half-hour's ride from my house From Wiki:

An edited version of the music video for the song has been posted in the band's myspace. It was directed by long-time collaborator, artist Lasse Hoile. The full version can be seen at the band's live show. The video was shot in Aarhus, Silkeborg, and Vrads, Denmark.

The video is dedicated to Arielle Daniel, a girl who was killed by a train on November 12, 2005, at the age of seventeen, together with a friend of hers, Heather Bates, who was fourteen years old. Arielle was a big Porcupine Tree fan who founded the band's MySpace Group. The accident occurred when the girls were taking photos on the rails[3][4]. Both were from Oak Creek, Wisconsin. During a show at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, on June 2, 2007, her family were present among the audience, so Steven Wilson paid tribute to them, saying "This is for Arielle" just before the band played "Blackest Eyes" which was her favourite song. That night, "Way Out of Here" was performed without showing the video on the screen[citation needed].
----
rekt
06.03.2012 - 11:26
Apatheria
Written by IronAngel on 05.03.2012 at 12:20

Written by Apatheria on 04.03.2012 at 11:02

You win this topic. This and Leonard Cohen, easily the best suggestions so far. Judging by your profile, an excellent non-metal music taste in general.

Hey, thank you sir. Glad to see my non-metal tastes are shared!

Here's another Leonard Cohen song. This being generally recognized as his most outright depressing tune, and I can't disagree...this one's a real bitter pill to swallow. Almost hard to listen to, if not for the underlying beauty.

----
Heavy metal is the law.
06.03.2012 - 12:12
IronAngel
Avalanche is probably my favorite Cohen-tune. I love how the strings add suspense on top of the intense guitar line. I'm not sure if it's predominantly depressing to me, it doesn't really have that resigned sadness you hear in many of his songs. It's more bitter, maybe his most aggressive song.

Songs of Leonard Cohen and Songs of Love and Hate are probably my favorite folk albums of all time. Here's a young Ethiopian-born Finnish songwriter who I think has taken a lot of influence from Leonard, as well as Nick Drake and some simple blues. Really good, dark debut out last year. Lyrics on this song are especially creepy and beautiful:
06.03.2012 - 12:36
Apatheria
Written by IronAngel on 06.03.2012 at 12:12

Avalanche is probably my favorite Cohen-tune. I love how the strings add suspense on top of the intense guitar line. I'm not sure if it's predominantly depressing to me, it doesn't really have that resigned sadness you hear in many of his songs. It's more bitter, maybe his most aggressive song.

Songs of Leonard Cohen and Songs of Love and Hate are probably my favorite folk albums of all time. Here's a young Ethiopian-born Finnish songwriter who I think has taken a lot of influence from Leonard, as well as Nick Drake and some simple blues. Really good, dark debut out last year. Lyrics on this song are especially creepy and beautiful:

I love both of those albums as well. By your definition, I'd say Songs of Leonard Cohen is the more melancholic record ("Master's Song" and "Stranger's Song" make me tear up every time), but Songs of Love and Hate just leaves me feeling emotionally drained and tired. I respect any record that can have such a profound emotional effect on me, which is the prime reason I'm a die-hard Cohen fan.

I really enjoyed that Mirel Wagner song, too! The video suited the song nicely; lonesome and eerie. I hadn't before heard of her, but I will definitely keep an eye on her.

And as for more depressing content, here's a tune from 16 Horsepower, a group who has never hesitated in being bleak.

----
Heavy metal is the law.
07.03.2012 - 20:16
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I don't know if it's the most depressive song I've heard, but "Broken Home" off Jesu's latest does a good job.
09.04.2012 - 18:55
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
Written by Entropic Silence on 25.12.2011 at 11:46

Alive in chains - nutshell. Purely for the melancholic chords and the fact that layne staley is dead.

Very true, especially off the Unplugged album. No word of a lie, my boyfriend started crying when I put it on one day
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
10.04.2012 - 03:31
Thrashette
This is one of the few songs that make me actually tear up
19.05.2012 - 10:00
Night Sight
Too many,i think depression should also be found in lyrics not the music only,some music tries to transmit artificial depression that does not impress me any more,
dont like those creepy depressive black metal genre eg shining ,i think old anathema songs such as forgotten hopes,anyone anywhere are the most depressive songs ever made in metal history according to the lyrics,the burden is mine by green carnation is full of regret in the lyric and is one of the best depressive songs,it differs form person to person it depends on personal life of every one and the the living way and the thought of the person.i like the music that express my own feelings and sandness
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
19.05.2012 - 10:34
Warman
Erotic Stains
Most stuff by Sopor Aeternus is by the most depressing music I'm listening to. Going through that discography is after a while just to much. I had to put on some generic metal tunes like "Breaking the Law" and such.

Although I have a very personal bond to Tiamat's "Thirst Snake" when it comes to this topic.
----
20.05.2012 - 21:45
Necrox
Haven't looked at the lyrics much, but the music... wow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAcNcf5IdAA
21.05.2012 - 01:51
IronAngel
Written by Warman on 19.05.2012 at 10:34

Most stuff by Sopor Aeternus is by the most depressing music I'm listening to. Going through that discography is after a while just to much. I had to put on some generic metal tunes like "Breaking the Law" and such.

I've never found Sopor Aeternus to be too depressing, personally. She can be subversive, disturbing, exhibitionistic, but even when she's all dark and desolate there's that edge of irony and mock melodrama that doesn't quite lend itself to a truly sincere sadness. She's all about upsetting sex and gender norms and (rather typically and disappointingly) connecting it with violence, misanthropy, and all manner of cliché Otherness. I guess it's depressing that probably the most visible transgender musician subscribes to all that other, often excessive and ridicilous, challenge to hegemony. She ultimately trivializes herself as a shock rock act, which is a shame!
26.05.2012 - 22:51
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I easily pick Silentium's At The Dawn I Wept. I don't even listen to Silentium nor do know their music very well, but I came across this song years ago and for the first time hearing it it seemed to be the most sad and depressing song, filled with despair and isolation. The title of the song perfectly describes the lyrics and the story and the guitars are just creating such incredibly depressive atmosphere.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
26.05.2012 - 23:10
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Well the saddest song I've ever heard and played is Tears in the Rain by Joe Satriani,I know it is not metal.and very short,even whenever I play this song my tears run down immediately uncontrollably...