Metal Storm logo
Discuss Films You've Watched Recently (Spoilers Will Be Deleted)

Original post

Posted by Bad English, 13.01.2015 - 03:05
SWAT - Firefight
Nice modern film about modernized military type of SWAT team in Boston, like it, nice new film, nice woman in cop team
11.07.2020 - 13:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by IronAngel on 10.07.2020 at 15:27

Jean-Paul Belmondo.

My 2. fav french actor, after Louis DeFunnes. Love 70 France. Different culture, different Word as we have now
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.08.2020 - 16:13
IronAngel
Written by Bad English on 11.07.2020 at 13:47

Written by IronAngel on 10.07.2020 at 15:27

Jean-Paul Belmondo.

My 2. fav french actor, after Louis DeFunnes. Love 70 France. Different culture, different Word as we have now

Yeah, I hadn't seen him before but he was great in the role.

Anyone use Letterboxd to rate/catalogue their films? It's basically like Goodreads for movies. Follow me so I can follow you (still filling in my watch history): https://letterboxd.com/lacusjuniperi/
10.08.2020 - 15:43
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by IronAngel on 07.08.2020 at 16:13

Anyone use Letterboxd to rate/catalogue their films? It's basically like Goodreads for movies. Follow me so I can follow you (still filling in my watch history): https://letterboxd.com/lacusjuniperi/

Immediately saw a 4 1/2 rating for Children Of Men. Patrician taste.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
13.08.2020 - 21:40
IronAngel
Written by RaduP on 10.08.2020 at 15:43

Immediately saw a 4 1/2 rating for Children Of Men. Patrician taste.

Haha, yeah. I was surprised by how good it was. I don't know if it's my favorite scifi (or w/e) movie, subjectively, but I really appreciated what they did with such a low-key, fairly vanilla premise.

To be honest though, rating movies is really difficult and arbitrary. With books, you take longer, focus on them more thoroughly, and there's just objectively fewer elements to consider (structure, language, ideas, story, whatever - it's still text that goes from left to right), and with music you listen to it several times before rating. I don't usually rewatch movies (not immediately anyway), so I will miss a lot, over-emphasise some memorable scenes, and my vague sense of how good it was probably depends as much on my mood as anything. So basically anything between 4 and 5 is really good.
13.08.2020 - 21:49
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by IronAngel on 13.08.2020 at 21:40

with music you listen to it several times before rating.

You do?
Written by IronAngel on 13.08.2020 at 21:40

I don't usually rewatch movies (not immediately anyway), so I will miss a lot, over-emphasis on some memorable scenes, and my vague sense of how good it was probably depends as much on my mood as anything. So basically anything between 4 and 5 is really good.

It is rare that I rate any movie above a 4/5, but just like with my music I rate most stuff highly since I usually don't watch or listen to stuff I know I wouldn't like. Anyway here's my profile.
----
22.08.2020 - 12:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Shaft 2019
I do like 70's I like remake whit Samuel L Jackosn. I like story and idea here,. but its a big let down from his firts one, seems they wanna make and use name just to do it as think about better things. Whole family together was weird though

Bad Boys For Life
Nice movie. Might be last of their movies. sad one should die there, but its different as others, Others was more like in police station , this they had no HQ, just streets, less street acton, less shit talk, but its decent movie. Sad its last, I dont think there will come more.
----

31.10.2020 - 03:07
Metren
Dreadrealm
Martyrs (2008)

One of the more famous feel-bad movies. I made the mistake of reading opinions on it online and the hype partially ruined it for me. It's a well-made film and somewhat disturbing, but I doubt it'll haunt my dreams. I am now more interested in checking out other New French Extreme movies though.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
11.11.2020 - 23:44
Metren
Dreadrealm
Finally watched Parasite (2019) and it is a masterpiece and a masterclass in symbolism and storytelling. Great performances and direction too, plenty of shots will haunt me for days or weeks now, especially that goddamn toilet, saying which isn't a spoiler I hope Rarely, if ever before, have I seen a film blend comedy and thrilleresque elements so brilliantly and perfectly and while the ending is predictable, there are plenty of twists along the way to keep the audience engaged. Fantastic film, instant classic in my eyes - 9.5/10.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
10.12.2020 - 22:17
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
I wish I liked Mank more than I did.
----
27.12.2020 - 16:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Terminator 6.
They tock best from 1, 2 and created some nostalgic come back, whit new future away from original future. Key positive hero was female, its bad, she was short haired and not symphatic, fits as warrior, but I dont want date here. She ruined all. Linda and Arnie was there, but basically I prefer classics. Its like Stallone will make Cobra II
----

09.01.2021 - 09:45
no one
The Joker

Great movie, very dsbm

Joaquin Phoenix is a fucking amazing actor.
----
Unable to connect to the database
04.03.2021 - 15:21
Metren
Dreadrealm
I've watched a whole bunch of movies recently.

Gladiator (2000)

Still one of the most overrated films made during my lifetime. The dialogue is cringe AF with characters constantly giving exposition and descriptions of other characters. The battle tactics are nonsense too, though that's a minor problem. Maximus himself is the biggest flaw though, he is a total tool, constantly being driven by the wishes of other characters, he lacks all agency. Maximus can't even seem to focus on avenging his family, because the wishes of Lucilla and Marcus Aurelius interfere with what should be his sole primal desire after losing his wife and son. Apart from the music and the visuals, Gladiator remains a poor film, a 6/10 at most.

Incendies (2010)

A rather illogical premise leads to a great story. Denis Villeneuve's direction, of course, is amazeballs. I also loved the use of sound in the film to convey chaos/confusion at some points. Great performances, good plot, an emotionally subtle, slightly understated ending that left me emotionally satisfied. I highly recommend this one. 8.5/10 atm, might bump it up to a 9 on repeat viewings.

Zerkalo (The Mirror) 1975

Some haunting visuals aside, I don't really get Tarkovsky tbh. It's not that his films are difficult to follow in terms of plot, they're not. I'm just left scratching my head asking what I was supposed to get out of them other than haunting visual after films like The Mirror and Stalker. Probably my own fault for not yet being sophisticated enough in regards my taste in film. Can't really give a rating to this one.

Whiplash (2014)

Great film. For a story this simple, it did an outstanding job keeping my interest all the way through and had me completely invested, it also had its surprising moments. I'd compare it to Black Swan, but unlike Black Swan, Whiplash didn't suck. 9/10.
----
22.03.2021 - 16:48
miladonats
Written by Bad English on 22.08.2020 at 12:27

Shaft 2019
I do like 70's I like remake whit Samuel L Jackosn. I like story and idea here,. but its a big let down from his firts one, seems they wanna make and use name just to do it as think about better things. Whole family together was weird though

Bad Boys For Life
Nice movie. Might be last of their movies. sad one should die there, but its different as others, Others was more like in police station , this they had no HQ, just streets, less street acton, less shit talk, but its decent movie. Sad its last, I dont think there will come more.

Are you talking about this movie? By the way who searches for a great Reddit service please visit the site https://bestupvotes.com
I watched it, the soundtrack is so awesome, so much entertainment packed in and the comedy is great! The scenes of levity are enjoyable. I do not purchase many movies but I will buy this.
Here is a trailer for those who haven't seen it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD41XdWcmbY
25.03.2021 - 20:51
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Tryina finish all the Best Picture nomms
----
28.03.2021 - 10:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
April Rain
No good C level movie, bad budget and so on.

Dead In 5 Heartbeats
Good biker movie , sorta weird low budged, directed buy Sonny Barger and HAMC

Små Citroner Gula.
Little lemons yellow
Nice swedish comedy about restaraunt buisness. IMO being a cock or work in bar, pub, restaraunt is worst work ever.
----

06.08.2021 - 01:08
Metren
Dreadrealm
Dark City (1998)

One of the most bittersweet-in-tone films I've ever seen. Nine parts thought-provoking emotionally gripping high-concept sci-fi noir with amazing set-design and performances, one part action shlock with incredibly outdated 90s sfx. 10/10 overall, a must watch. Also, I don't think any woman has ever been as beautiful as Jennifer Connelly is in this film (don't tell my wife I said that).
----
06.08.2021 - 09:50
Deadsoulman
Elite
Written by Metren on 06.08.2021 at 01:08

Dark City (1998)

One of the most bittersweet-in-tone films I've ever seen. Nine parts thought-provoking emotionally gripping high-concept sci-fi noir with amazing set-design and performances, one part action shlock with incredibly outdated 90s sfx. 10/10 overall, a must watch. Also, I don't think any woman has ever been as beautiful as Jennifer Connelly is in this film (don't tell my wife I said that).

Ah, I had a huge crush on Jennifer Connelly in the 90's, mainly because of Rocketeer and Dark City. And her filmography is stellar.

Anyway, Dark City is one of my favourite movies ever. The special effects are indeed outdated, but I loved the concept of a modular, living, ever-changing city, and there's a fuckton of good visual ideas. Alex Proyas had a pretty inventive way of telling and filming stories. He showed a lot of promise with The Crow and Dark City, that were unfortunately unfulfilled for the most part.
07.08.2021 - 00:17
Metren
Dreadrealm
The Neon Demon (2016)

A fucked up feast for the eyes and ears. Some tracks of the OST are downright glorious and the visuals are stunning, gotta love all the neon lights and the constant use of mirrors in shots (appropriate given that the story takes place in the L.A. fashion scene). There's a lot to unpack and interpret not just in the visuals, but in the story and characters themselves. I am not sure how to rate the movie on a scale after my first viewing, but I'd definitely recommend The Neon Demon to cinephiles everywhere.

This was the first Nicolas Winding Refn film I've seen and it definitely makes me want to get around to watching the rest of his body of work, especially Drive, which I've heard nothing but good things about.

I also recently watched The Hunt (2012. One of the few films in recent years that has managed to make me cry manly tears (actually I wept like a little girl). Mads Mikkelsen is fucking fantastic in it and the story is one of the most heartbreaking and gripping tales ever made into a film. I may be overselling it here, but I fucking love it.
----
07.08.2021 - 11:24
Deadsoulman
Elite
Written by Metren on 07.08.2021 at 00:17

The Neon Demon (2016)

A fucked up feast for the eyes and ears. Some tracks of the OST are downright glorious and the visuals are stunning, gotta love all the neon lights and the constant use of mirrors in shots (appropriate given that the story takes place in the L.A. fashion scene). There's a lot to unpack and interpret not just in the visuals, but in the story and characters themselves. I am not sure how to rate the movie on a scale after my first viewing, but I'd definitely recommend The Neon Demon to cinephiles everywhere.

This was the first Nicolas Winding Refn film I've seen and it definitely makes me want to get around to watching the rest of his body of work, especially Drive, which I've heard nothing but good things about.

Haven't seen that one yet, it's on my to-watch list. Of Refn's films, The Pusher trilogy, Valhalla Rising (which I enjoyed a lot despite not really understanding what the hell was going on, a bit like Enemy) and Drive are all great. I didn't like Only God Forgives though. Ryan Gosling and Kristin Scott-Thomas are great in it, but the story doesn't make much sense and the film suffers from the "slow eye movement syndrome" which is completely unnatural and pisses me off to no end.

Written by Metren on 07.08.2021 at 00:17

I also recently watched The Hunt (2012. One of the few films in recent years that has managed to make me cry manly tears (actually I wept like a little girl). Mads Mikkelsen is fucking fantastic in it and the story is one of the most heartbreaking and gripping tales ever made into a film. I may be overselling it here, but I fucking love it.

Haven't seen that one either, I just wanted to point out that Mads Mikkelsen IS fucking fantastic, period. He shines in everything he does. I rewatched Drunk the other day (great Vinterberg movie) and he just steals the show. I almost have a mancrush on that guy
07.08.2021 - 15:10
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Deadsoulman on 07.08.2021 at 11:24

Mads Mikkelsen IS fucking fantastic, period...I almost have a mancrush on that guy

I can understand that
----
07.08.2021 - 21:28
F3ynman
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by Metren on 11.11.2020 at 23:44

Finally watched Parasite (2019) and it is a masterpiece and a masterclass in symbolism and storytelling. Great performances and direction too, plenty of shots will haunt me for days or weeks now, especially that goddamn toilet, saying which isn't a spoiler I hope Rarely, if ever before, have I seen a film blend comedy and thrilleresque elements so brilliantly and perfectly and while the ending is predictable, there are plenty of twists along the way to keep the audience engaged. Fantastic film, instant classic in my eyes - 9.5/10.

I agree! I just watched Parasite on TV (it was the free-TV premiere in Germany). I have never seen a movie like it: the first half being hilarious and then a sudden shocking revelation, followed by a depressing descent, followed by a rising tension in which you know something's going to go wrong but you don't know who's going to crack first.
The story is intriguing, the acting is so believable and each character is sympathetic and flawed. There are no clear heroes and villains. It's a crazy mix of drama, thriller, comedy, and allegory. Masterpiece.
And by the way, I found the ending definitely not predictable!
09.08.2021 - 22:50
Metren
Dreadrealm
The Suicide Squad (2021)

James Gunn? More like James Fun. It goes without saying that it was miles better than the butchered mess that was Suicide Squad without the "The". It's a very James Gunn movie with solid humor, some good set ups and pay offs in the story and decent enough character moments that didn't feel overly melodramatic. He also came up with some interesting visuals and some fun (again) ways to shoot action scenes. Worth seeing, even if didn't come close to matching the charm and wit of the Guardians Of The Galaxy films, but those are rare gems among comic book films. Most films out there can't hold a candle to those. I'd rate The Suicide Squad a strong 7.5/10 after my initial viewing.
----
15.08.2021 - 03:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Metren on 06.08.2021 at 01:08

Dark City (1998)

From a conceptual/storytelling perspective, this is imo one of the best movies ever made. Even taking into account the over-told amnesiac protagonist storyline.

And while Ratched (et al) exists when One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest is a perfectly delivered story (both in novel and cinematic form) I think Dark City is one of the few times I could get behind a series-adapted film.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.10.2021 - 13:09
Metren
Dreadrealm
The Revenant (2015)

A fantastic experience of simply outstanding filmmaking with some of the most glorious visuals I've seen in ages and fantastic sound design too. I'd heard from some critics that while it is a technical marvel (and boy, is it ever), The Revenant lacks a captivating story and good characters. Having seen the film, I disagree. The story was very engaging for me. The only disappointing elements were the ending and Leo's performance. I like DiCaprio overall, but he's a bit like Tom Cruise in that he doesn't transcend his movie-star aura and actually become the character he's playing. Domhnall Gleeson, Tom Hardy and Will Poulter were all far better in their roles. As physically demanding as the role must've been, I don't really see why DiCaprio won any awards for it.

Also, I lo-loh-LOVE winter-movies and The Revenant has thus become one of my favorite films for that reason too. It's not the best winter film though, that will forever be The Thing.

EDIT: The constant lens flare's got on my nerves, feel like I need to mention that haha.
----
24.10.2021 - 13:36
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Metren on 24.10.2021 at 13:09

The Revenant (2015)

Indeed the cinematography is the best thing about the movie, but I was pretty intrigued by the rest of the aspects as well. I did actually enjoy DiCaprio's performance, even if he still wasn't my favorite in the movie. Not his best, but I'm glad he finally got his award, I remember how many DiCaprio no Oscar jokes there were prior to that. I should watch more Iñárritu movies.
----
28.10.2021 - 17:22
Metren
Dreadrealm
Dune (2021)

Hans Zimmer dropped the ball and it sunk all the way down to the Earth's core. What a bland and boring score, not a single memorable melody to be found anywhere. The film was pretty good otherwise, but nothing mind-blowing by the standards set by the source material and Denis Villeneuve's own past achievements.
----
28.10.2021 - 19:02
Zap
Written by Metren on 28.10.2021 at 17:22

Dune (2021)

Hans Zimmer dropped the ball and it sunk all the way down to the Earth's core. What a bland and boring score, not a single memorable melody to be found anywhere. The film was pretty good otherwise, but nothing mind-blowing by the standards set by the source material and Denis Villeneuve's own past achievements.

Sad to hear about the score, I hope I feel differently about it. Part of me always hoped this movie would become something like what the Lord Of The Rings was in the early 2000s but it's clear that it doesn't/won't have that kind of impact. I'm still excited to see it though.
28.10.2021 - 19:33
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Zap on 28.10.2021 at 19:02

Sad to hear about the score, I hope I feel differently about it. Part of me always hoped this movie would become something like what the Lord Of The Rings was in the early 2000s but it's clear that it doesn't/won't have that kind of impact. I'm still excited to see it though.

The soundtrack is masterful in terms of mixing and sound design, that is a positive, it's sounds absolutely monstrous and epic. But there are no catchy melodies, heart-rending harmonies or anything else that I look for in a score for a cinematic work of this kind, unfortunately. Perhaps Zimmer thought that a political sci-fi epic like Dune needed a "less-pirates-of-the-Caribbean" soundtrack, in which case I guess he succeeded in his goals. But if that is the case, I think he was misguided. The Lord Of The Rings OST has memorable melodies in abundance and none of it comes across as cheesy or not-befitting a thematically rich and thought-provoking epic. Or, to use a relevant comparison, the sci-fi channel miniseries Children of Dune had its share of memorable, easy to hum along-type tracks and those were a perfect fit, in my opinion. I am not sure what Zimmer was thinking, but it is a shame that so far, we don't have an epic, instantly recognizable "House Of Atreides" theme, like we have a Jack Sparrow theme or Fellowship Of The Ring theme etc.
----
29.10.2021 - 11:02
Zap
Written by Metren on 28.10.2021 at 19:33

Perhaps Zimmer thought that a political sci-fi epic like Dune needed a "less-pirates-of-the-Caribbean" soundtrack, in which case I guess he succeeded in his goals. But if that is the case, I think he was misguided.

I am not sure what Zimmer was thinking, but it is a shame that so far, we don't have an epic, instantly recognizable "House Of Atreides" theme, like we have a Jack Sparrow theme or Fellowship Of The Ring theme etc.

Exactly, I miss leitmotifs in today's blockbusters.
30.10.2021 - 17:32
Metren
Dreadrealm
Promising Young Woman (2020)

I haven’t looked into what people think and feel regarding this film apart from RLM’s review, but I suspect that out of all the films I love, this might be one of the most divisive ones. The craft of film-making here is, however, undeniable and the fact that it’s Emerald Fennell’s full-feature directorial debut is astonishing to me. I haven’t been this impressed with a director’s first film since Robert Eggers’ The VVitch back in 2015, “Promising”… feels like a film directed by a veteran, not a newcomer. It takes skill and thought and even courage to put this many flat angles into a film, trusting that the audience will “get it” or feel how the camerawork emphasizes the film’s theme of people confronting one another or one’s past. It certainly worked for me, so props to Fennell.

Fennell is clearly also a talented director of actors (it’s safe to assume that her being an actress herself helps), as all the performances are convincing. As a big Bo Burnham fan, I feared that his presence might distract, but even he was good. The best scene in the film was clever in a way that actually made me jealous. I can’t go into specifics, because there would be spoilers, but the short version is that there are two characters in a room, one sitting down, looking rather tiny and the other standing up, seemingly much bigger. Generally speaking, this would imply that the larger, standing character has the position of authority/power in the scene, but Fennell executes the scene in a way that breaks that convention and the big standing character comes across as pathetic and out of control/power as the screenplay requires them to be. It’s smart and effective directing/blocking.

Then there’s the music. This film makes a fucking Paris Hilton song work for its darkly comedic middle-part and there’s also a creepy, violin-led cover of Britney Spears’ “Toxic” playing in one scene that also works wonderfully. It’s just great. The more ambient tunes and musical clues also help the film’s tonal shifts feel powerful and sudden without feeling contrived. Just a fantastic film overall with a story that could’ve turned out a complete disaster in the hands of a lesser filmmaker because of its subject matter and themes, but came out amazing instead. I doubt too many will agree with me it’s a masterpiece, but I am calling it a masterpiece. Because it is.
----