Metal Storm logo
Thrash Recommendations

Original post

Posted by Doc G., 14.04.2007 - 06:14
Ok, I searched and I dont think I could find a topi to recommend/discuss thrash. Why Im posting this thread is because I must admit that there are very few thrash bands out there that dont bore me, these few would be bands like Megadeth, Sodom, and Kreator. I really enjoy Hybrid thrash though (thrash mixed with another genre) I.E. Keep Of Kalessin, black metal but highly thrash-like aswell. So particularly I would like to hear some recommendations on hybrid thrash, but feel free to recommend straight-up thrash aswell just to keep the topic open.

BTW- Please try and make the recommendations useful, dont recommend bands that Ive likely already heard, like Slayer or Metalica.
20.07.2011 - 07:49
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guib on 20.07.2011 at 06:10

Written by Hellish Star on 19.07.2011 at 21:22

ANACRUSIS

Never heard of them, im so gonna check em' out, right about... .... ... NOW !

Listen to their last album, Screams and Whispers, it's some great prog/thrash.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
22.07.2011 - 01:30
JD
Account deleted
I really should check some of these NWOTM bands, what is the best album to start with fellows?

PS: I like bands like Legion of the Damned.
22.07.2011 - 05:45
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by K✞ulu on 20.07.2011 at 07:49

ANACRUSIS

Listen to their last album, Screams and Whispers, it's some great prog/thrash.

So I made my research... first. This band is fucking awesome ! second. I love Screams and Whispers but omg... their first is so much better Suffering Hour is totally awesome. Thanks for this recommendation man!

@JD: Yeah man Malevolent Rapture ftw.
since you wanna try some albums... go for. Black Future (by Vektor), Citizen Brain (by Gama Bomb), Eternal Domination (by Suicidal Angels), Time Is Up (by Havok) and Necromantic Maelstrom (by Lich King) this should be a fucking good start.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
22.07.2011 - 08:54
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guib on 22.07.2011 at 05:45

So I made my research... first. This band is fucking awesome ! second. I love Screams and Whispers but omg... their first is so much better Suffering Hour is totally awesome. Thanks for this recommendation man!

since you wanna try some albums... go for. Black Future (by Vektor), Citizen Brain (by Gama Bomb), Eternal Domination (by Suicidal Angels), Time Is Up (by Havok) and Necromantic Maelstrom (by Lich King) this should be a fucking good start.

Yeah, I somehow never got into anything besides Suffering Hour and Screams and Whispers, but they are two very different albums. I can't say their debut very impressive, but it's actually time to go back and listen to it again.

Written by [user id=28526] on 22.07.2011 at 01:30

I really should check some of these NWOTM bands, what is the best album to start with fellows?

I don't like Suicidal Angels at all, Gama Bomb are fun, but as far as Lich King, you should really just listen to their latest, World Gone Dead; their first two albums are so-so, but "Black Metal Sucks" is a hilarious song. Check it out.

Then I can totally vouch for Vektor: Black Future is probably the best thrash album in a decade.

You have to also try Warbringer's "Waking into Nightmares." I also love Evile's "Infected Nations," but that album needs lots of time to get into; at the beginning it sounds like s**t, but then you start getting it (after many listens).

Anyways start with VEKTOR!

P.S. Never listened to Legion of the Damned.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

22.07.2011 - 11:47
seniyajw
Oh maybe I had hear something, I can imagibe how many albums tahy had and I had read lyrics its great , but maybe i had hear some smaples or them in BMRadio, but albums
22.07.2011 - 13:12
Hellish Star

ANACRUSIS

Highly recommended American technical Thrash.... If you want pur Thrash, try out first albums, songs like "fighting evil" and "Butcher's block".

If you like the style, try CORONER as well...
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
22.07.2011 - 13:16
Hellish Star
By the way

ANACRUSIS will plat at the next ALCATRAZ estival - 27th of august - Belgium along with
HELLOWEEN
DEATH ANGEL
UDO
FORBIDDEN
HELSTAR
VICIOUS RUMORS
----

22.07.2011 - 19:28
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by K✞ulu on 22.07.2011 at 08:54

Yeah, I somehow never got into anything besides Suffering Hour and Screams and Whispers, but they are two very different albums. I can't say their debut very impressive, but it's actually time to go back and listen to it again.

Written by [user id=28526] on 22.07.2011 at 01:30

I don't like Suicidal Angels at all, Gama Bomb are fun, but as far as Lich King, you should really just listen to their latest, World Gone Dead; their first two albums are so-so, but "Black Metal Sucks" is a hilarious song. Check it out.

Then I can totally vouch for Vektor: Black Future is probably the best thrash album in a decade.

You have to also try Warbringer's "Waking into Nightmares." I also love Evile's "Infected Nations," but that album needs lots of time to get into; at the beginning it sounds like s**t, but then you start getting it (after many listens).

Anyways start with VEKTOR!

P.S. Never listened to Legion of the Damned.

You don't like Suicidal Angels thats sad... lol I think they're great. But apart from that did you hear Boundless by Assaulter.. it came out this year
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
22.07.2011 - 19:49
JD
Account deleted

But apart from that did you hear Boundless by Assaulter.. it came out this year

It's the only thrashy\blacky album I've heard this year along with LOTD, I have to say it's fuckin brilliant, so when I asked for recommendation I meant something like, Legion of the Dmned or Assaulter, you know blacky, thrashy FTWiny
22.07.2011 - 19:52
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by [user id=28526] on 22.07.2011 at 19:49

It's the only thrashy\blacky album I've heard this year along with LOTD, I have to say it's fuckin brilliant, so when I asked for recommendation I meant something like, Legion of the Dmned or Assaulter, you know blacky, thrashy FTWiny

Yeah lol try Restless & Dead (by Witchery), Black Thrash Attack (by Aura Noir) and The Third Storm Of Cythraul (by Absu)
now tell me you like it JD
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
22.07.2011 - 19:57
JD
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 22.07.2011 at 19:52

Yeah lol try Restless & Dead (by Witchery), Black Thrash Attack (by Aura Noir) and The Third Storm Of Cythraul (by Absu)

Yeah, I already know about Absu they are great, but they are more blacky, if you know what am talky about. I'm gonna listen to the other albums you mentioned ASAP, thanks
22.07.2011 - 19:58
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by [user id=28526] on 22.07.2011 at 19:57

Written by Guib on 22.07.2011 at 19:52

Yeah, I already know about Absu they are great, but they are more blacky, if you know what am talky about. I'm gonna listen to the other albums you mentioned ASAP, thanks

Np man always there for a fellow Thrash/TDM lover
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
23.07.2011 - 13:41
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guib on 22.07.2011 at 19:28

You don't like Suicidal Angels thats sad... lol I think they're great. But apart from that did you hear Boundless by Assaulter.. it came out this year

Suicidal Angels to me are very uncreative although their latest was a bit better. As far as Assaulter, I listened to one song posted in their thread, and I didn't "feel" anything. I might give them a try later.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

23.07.2011 - 22:48
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by K✞ulu on 23.07.2011 at 13:41

Written by Guib on 22.07.2011 at 19:28

Suicidal Angels to me are very uncreative although their latest was a bit better. As far as Assaulter, I listened to one song posted in their thread, and I didn't "feel" anything. I might give them a try later.

I guess you don't like Black Thrash or agressive thrash metal that much .. I actually love it when its disorganized and noisy but anyways lol
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
24.07.2011 - 04:01
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Not sure if anyone has recommended Watchtower, I don't feel up to sifting through all these posts to find out, but if not then check them out too. Especially Control and Resistance, fantastic album. They're not blacky or deathy more kinda techy like Coroner and also a band that broke up at the end of the 80s and have recently reformed...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

27.07.2011 - 00:17
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by psykometal on 24.07.2011 at 04:01

Not sure if anyone has recommended Watchtower, I don't feel up to sifting through all these posts to find out, but if not then check them out too. Especially Control and Resistance, fantastic album. They're not blacky or deathy more kinda techy like Coroner and also a band that broke up at the end of the 80s and have recently reformed...

Yes they have been mentioned but its a really good suggestion I love the band
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
27.07.2011 - 04:12
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
I'm not sure if they have been mentioned yet, but Powermad are a great 80s proto/speed/thrash band. This is probably my favorite song of theirs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqSBpkL6d5I
28.07.2011 - 03:58
Steelreaper
If you have not heard Essence - Lost in violence yet you are seriously missing out. Best new Thrash band since the 80's. My Review: http://rateyourmusic.com/collection/Steelreaper/rating36037753

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JneG_DeHBfs
----
"I see the world's bones, I see the world dead" Max Cavalera
01.08.2011 - 17:25
LISTN TO METTALICA, PANTERA, MACHINEHEAD AND SLAYER. MOST AMAZIN BANDS EVR.
01.08.2011 - 19:49
king_matt
Written by thrashtilldeaf on 01.08.2011 at 17:25

I think most of us here have heard of those bands
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
02.08.2011 - 22:58
Hellish Star
TYRANT's REIGN, what a fantastic Thrash metal band
----

03.08.2011 - 05:29
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by king_matt on 01.08.2011 at 19:49

Written by thrashtilldeaf on 01.08.2011 at 17:25

I think most of us here have heard of those bands

Pretty much everyone if you ask me -_- lol
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
03.08.2011 - 11:19
Prowler84
Written by Hellish Star on 02.08.2011 at 22:58

I'll check 'em out too.
----
Steve Harris isn't a God.God is a S.Harris!!
03.08.2011 - 15:15
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Prowler84 on 03.08.2011 at 11:19

Written by Hellish Star on 02.08.2011 at 22:58

I'll check 'em out too.

Its 85's thrash metal, you'll see their EP is very good.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
03.08.2011 - 22:59
Storchillarn
No one has mentioned Hatesphere. Great danish Thrash/Death metal band soon to release their seventh album in September this year.
05.08.2011 - 07:20
Void Eater
Account deleted
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Apothesary/190893285914

Seriously, check out this band. A young thrash band from the Bay Area with enough of a modern touch to make them unique.

And Pantera isn't thrash you babbling morons!
05.08.2011 - 07:22
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by [user id=111774] on 05.08.2011 at 07:20

Seriously, check out this band. A young thrash band from the Bay Area with enough of a modern touch to make them unique.

Well Groove Thrash is still thrash to me sorry but .. Vulgar Display Of Power, Far Beyond Driven and Cowboys From Hell sounds pretty Thrash to me -_- whats next you're gonna tell me Exhorder ain't thrash either ? c'mon Void you know better than that !
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
05.08.2011 - 07:27
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 05.08.2011 at 07:22

Well Groove Thrash is still thrash to me sorry but .. Vulgar Display Of Power, Far Beyond Driven and Cowboys From Hell sounds pretty Thrash to me -_- whats next you're gonna tell me Exhorder ain't thrash either ? c'mon Void you know better than that !

CBH can pass as thrash, but VDP and FBD are most certaintly not thrash. I'll save the time to explain and show some examples.

Notice your sudden desire to put on an old sweaty vest and get drunk.

Notice how the entire song is simply based upon a simple three note groove.
05.08.2011 - 07:29
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by [user id=111774] on 05.08.2011 at 07:27

Written by Guib on 05.08.2011 at 07:22

CBH can pass as thrash, but VDP and FBD are most certaintly not thrash. I'll save the time to explain and show some examples.

Notice your sudden desire to put on an old sweaty vest and get drunk.

Notice how the entire song is simply based upon a simple three note groove.

It doesn't really matter what you think about how its been structured its still thrash metal and you kind of chose the worse fucking example lol I mean c'mon then ur gonna tell me that because Striker sounds Powerish its not thrash !! VOID !!
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
05.08.2011 - 07:35
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 05.08.2011 at 07:29

It doesn't really matter what you think about how its been structured its still thrash metal and you kind of chose the worse fucking example lol I mean c'mon then ur gonna tell me that because Striker sounds Powerish its not thrash !! VOID !!

Alright... I'm to lazy to think at the moment. Pantera's riffs simply don't come across as thrash metal riffs to me.