Metal Storm logo
What is the meaning of life?

Original post

Posted by Berfones, 24.04.2008 - 15:10
I have been looking the MS forum for this thread and I was amazed to find that the only matches to my search were Monty Pyton movie and some other thing that bearly mantion it, so I decided to open my own thread (hopfully this one will not be locked after one day) and to ask you what is the meaning of life for you, I know that this is a very abstract question, so everyone will have a different answer to it, and some will have several answers.
My meanings of life are music and my book, I think of them as my meanings of life because that if one of them will sieze to be I will probably kill myself.
This thread can also be a place for philosophical questions such as what came first, the chicken or the egg? (I have the answer to it if you want...), and one more thing, can someone tell me why do the mods hate Varg Vikernes threads so much?
17.05.2011 - 19:29
Bulletdodger
Written by Thunderhead on 18.02.2011 at 17:12

There is no way we can understand what life is all about, or the meaning of life.

Yes we can.
Many great philosophers questioned that, no one got a clue.

They got some "nice" clues.
Cientist can't reach that... even religion, sometimes fail to make a sense for it.

Why can't science reach that ?
The only ones who got near to discover it was Monty Python in their movie: Monty Python - The Meaning of Life (1983)
Watch it people, it's got a lot of revelations!

QFT !
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
17.05.2011 - 20:04
Angelic Storm
Melodious
... A great song by The Offspring.
28.05.2011 - 16:24
therest
Another possibility to interpret the question "what is the meaning of life?":

I already showed that life is not an action and therefore can not have a purpose/meaning, but it struck me that life does have a function. If I am not alive, I can not perform any action (which would have a purpose). Therefore life is a necessary condition for actions. Although it can't really be an answer to the question "what is the meaning of life?", it's as close as it gets.
----
"It's because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everybody does everything." - Homer Simpson

"Then hold to the fading colors
The grayest of life is yet to come"
- Întunecatul
01.06.2011 - 09:34
Thunderhead
Written by Bulletdodger on 17.05.2011 at 19:29

There is no way we can understand what life is all about, or the meaning of life.

Yes we can.
Many great philosophers questioned that, no one got a clue.

They got some "nice" clues.
Cientist can't reach that... even religion, sometimes fail to make a sense for it.

Why can't science reach that ?
The only ones who got near to discover it was Monty Python in their movie: Monty Python - The Meaning of Life (1983)
Watch it people, it's got a lot of revelations!

QFT !

U didn't argue with me. Just aswered, something i never questioned, with very empty lines.
Be more especific, please.

PS: What the f*** is QFT?? (I don't understand modern language)
----
"You may got money, and can buy anything you want. But there's a thing you will never be able to buy. It's a dinossaur!" - Homer J.Simpson
02.06.2011 - 07:07
ToMegaTherion
Im studying philosophy at the moment and if one more person asks me this question, i'm going to hit them.

But since its metalstorm, here is a response to the question.

Life has no reason other that to exist and reproduce unless you posit the existence of some higher being or plan of existence. So only Atheists get out of this question, it seems to me that to only consistent purpose of life is to seek fulfillment and contentment. Even an Atheist should agree with that otherwise what are you living for. If you consider that to be the purpose and what does that mean? Whatever answer you place here will likely be pure metaphysics (God, reincarnation, ongoing existence, judgement ect) and mean little if anything to anyone who holds a different opinion on pre and post life, so ill suspend judgement there.
24.06.2011 - 07:03
VloRD
Written by ToMegaTherion on 02.06.2011 at 07:07

Life has no reason other that to exist and reproduce unless you posit the existence of some higher being or plan of existence. So only Atheists get out of this question, it seems to me that to only consistent purpose of life is to seek fulfillment and contentment. Even an Atheist should agree with that otherwise what are you living for. If you consider that to be the purpose and what does that mean? Whatever answer you place here will likely be pure metaphysics (God, reincarnation, ongoing existence, judgement ect) and mean little if anything to anyone who holds a different opinion on pre and post life, so ill suspend judgement there.

This is the problem plaguing the human species since we began to gain the ability to think. We just cannot accept the fact that our existence is just a mundane repetition of eating, sleeping, finding shelter, mating, etc. We just can't accept the fact that we are just another mammal in the earth, fighting for existence in our respective environments. Thus, we start "looking up" . Looking for supernatural cause for our life.Which IS None. We are here for the same reason as for a stray dog. It is time we realize this, and abolish all quests for looking for god.

But what we can, and must, is nourish and improve our way of living, so generations to come can lead a better life and not have troubles with their survival. It is unfortunately, as primitive as that.
----
21.07.2011 - 04:42
ToMegaTherion
Written by VloRD on 24.06.2011 at 07:03

This is the problem plaguing the human species since we began to gain the ability to think. We just cannot accept the fact that our existence is just a mundane repetition of eating, sleeping, finding shelter, mating, etc. We just can't accept the fact that we are just another mammal in the earth, fighting for existence in our respective environments. Thus, we start "looking up" . Looking for supernatural cause for our life.Which IS None. We are here for the same reason as for a stray dog. It is time we realize this, and abolish all quests for looking for god.

But what we can, and must, is nourish and improve our way of living, so generations to come can lead a better life and not have troubles with their survival. It is unfortunately, as primitive as that.

I will agree that seeking to improve the living conditions and standards of all humans is of vital importance to us all, esspecially given that we all have an interest in making life better, And I also agree that "God" or whatever higher being one might believe in is not necessary to the undertaking of this moral quest.
However, simply saying to people to not seek some higher power for answers to this question is not viable or even i dare say... reasonable; this is because many people do not want to find their own answer to questions such as this, and we often prefer dogmatic answers to these questions so they can get on with there lives for whatever purpose that may be.
For my personal opinion on "god", or whatever diety, its not that I don't "Believe" in god or an afterlife, but that I don't see how anyone can possibly claim to know. As I have said, god and the afterlife are matters of pure metaphysics and speculation. We as living beings have no right to claim dogmatic ownership of an afterlife or a supreme "god", but nor do we have to right to claim the non-existance of these things. Because there is no proof either foor or against the existance of god. I would only suggest here based of the lessons of history that most churches, faiths and organised religions have a great number of crimes to answer for, and this does not make any implication about an afterlife, only on the actions of these organisations in this world.
07.01.2012 - 09:59
VloRD

I will agree that seeking to improve the living conditions and standards of all humans is of vital importance to us all, esspecially given that we all have an interest in making life better, And I also agree that "God" or whatever higher being one might believe in is not necessary to the undertaking of this moral quest.
However, simply saying to people to not seek some higher power for answers to this question is not viable or even i dare say... reasonable; this is because many people do not want to find their own answer to questions such as this, and we often prefer dogmatic answers to these questions so they can get on with there lives for whatever purpose that may be.
For my personal opinion on "god", or whatever diety, its not that I don't "Believe" in god or an afterlife, but that I don't see how anyone can possibly claim to know. As I have said, god and the afterlife are matters of pure metaphysics and speculation. We as living beings have no right to claim dogmatic ownership of an afterlife or a supreme "god", but nor do we have to right to claim the non-existance of these things. Because there is no proof either foor or against the existance of god. I would only suggest here based of the lessons of history that most churches, faiths and organised religions have a great number of crimes to answer for, and this does not make any implication about an afterlife, only on the actions of these organisations in this world.

Absolutely, if believing in an all powerful force of the universe who takes care of you, gets you through the night, be my guest (and I don't actually mean you of course, its in a general sense). But I think its a horrible waste of time, to the extent of stemming the flow to the mentioned standardization of living conditions, if you spent an entire lifetime just frolicking on devotion with god. Especially since such elaborate devotion hits where it hurts the most...our pockets. I think human resources are too precious to be splurged on...simply put, temples and churches. Statues and pillars. Conventions and yes, even political parties. Here, in India there are *believe it or not* political parties which actually spread religious propaganda. This is just appalling to degree of disgust for me.

Just as Carlin emphasized, we had a beautiful gift...and we squandered it away for the favor for such mundane superstitions.
----
08.01.2012 - 06:21
ToMegaTherion
Written by VloRD on 07.01.2012 at 09:59

Absolutely, if believing in an all powerful force of the universe who takes care of you, gets you through the night, be my guest (and I don't actually mean you of course, its in a general sense). But I think its a horrible waste of time, to the extent of stemming the flow to the mentioned standardization of living conditions, if you spent an entire lifetime just frolicking on devotion with god. Especially since such elaborate devotion hits where it hurts the most...our pockets. I think human resources are too precious to be splurged on...simply put, temples and churches. Statues and pillars. Conventions and yes, even political parties. Here, in India there are *believe it or not* political parties which actually spread religious propaganda. This is just appalling to degree of disgust for me.

Just as Carlin emphasized, we had a beautiful gift...and we squandered it away for the favor for such mundane superstitions.

I can assure you India is not the only place where political parties spread propaganda. In Australia it may be more subtle but religious values and opinions are constantly pushed usually under that banner of "freedom and democracy". Even though these concepts are a contradiction of many religious values. I think you are certainly on the right track for what is wrong with the world. But I would suggest also that it may be possible that extreme poverty is a symptom of a number of global sicknesses. Many countries including Australia are drunk on consuming recourses and technology in extremely excessive amounts. I volunteer in the e-waste recycling center in my local town, and it makes me sick the amount of perfectly usable stuff is thrown away. Over the last six months I have built 6 good computers out of computer which have been thrown away at less than a couple of years old. I have kept two and given the others to people I know who need that stuff for their kids or themselves. It is this kind of lifestyle which is held by most western countries and a few others that helps keep the rest of the world in poverty.
09.01.2012 - 16:06
VloRD

I can assure you India is not the only place where political parties spread propaganda. In Australia it may be more subtle but religious values and opinions are constantly pushed usually under that banner of "freedom and democracy". Even though these concepts are a contradiction of many religious values. I think you are certainly on the right track for what is wrong with the world. But I would suggest also that it may be possible that extreme poverty is a symptom of a number of global sicknesses. Many countries including Australia are drunk on consuming recourses and technology in extremely excessive amounts. I volunteer in the e-waste recycling center in my local town, and it makes me sick the amount of perfectly usable stuff is thrown away. Over the last six months I have built 6 good computers out of computer which have been thrown away at less than a couple of years old. I have kept two and given the others to people I know who need that stuff for their kids or themselves. It is this kind of lifestyle which is held by most western countries and a few others that helps keep the rest of the world in poverty.

Wow, That is some great work! And you are right, it would be foolish to ignore the materialistic greed which plagues us.
----
10.01.2012 - 13:21
ToMegaTherion
Written by VloRD on 09.01.2012 at 16:06

Wow, That is some great work! And you are right, it would be foolish to ignore the materialistic greed which plagues us.

It seems to me that materialistic greed is a symptom of the spread of free-market propaganda which makes all of us endless consumers. I'm not saying end free-market economics, on the contrary I am saying we need to reform it to consider both the human cost and the environmental costs of the actions of both individuals and corporations, and if that means hitting them where it hurts (financial penalties), then so be it.

I was just reading an interesting article which outlines perfectly how western countries keep many societies in poverty (which of course is but one of many). And apple ipod in Australia costs between $100 and $500 AU dollars which is roughly the same in US dollars at the moment, depending on the size and features of the device. Now consider where most of the parts for that device are manufactured, in countries like India, China, Brazil amongst many others where workers are paid what people in the west would consider disgraceful wages in some cases only a few US dollars a day. Now if all of those parts were manufactured somewhere like Australia or the US or somewhere in Western Europe, then those ipods which cost a few hundred dollars would cost something like $10000 to &15000 AU dollars with the increase in wages alone, these figures include reduced cost of not having to import products from overseas and less tax in many western countries because it is not being imported. But simply the increase in wages is enough to drive the cost of that ipod to a 100 times increase in price.

I just read that and though it might illustrate the stark contrast in lifestyles which is generated unrestrained free-market economics.
10.01.2012 - 14:51
Ernis
狼獾
Written by ToMegaTherion on 10.01.2012 at 13:21

I was just reading an interesting article which outlines perfectly how western countries keep many societies in poverty (which of course is but one of many). And apple ipod in Australia costs between $100 and $500 AU dollars which is roughly the same in US dollars at the moment, depending on the size and features of the device. Now consider where most of the parts for that device are manufactured, in countries like India, China, Brazil amongst many others where workers are paid what people in the west would consider disgraceful wages in some cases only a few US dollars a day. Now if all of those parts were manufactured somewhere like Australia or the US or somewhere in Western Europe, then those ipods which cost a few hundred dollars would cost something like $10000 to &15000 AU dollars with the increase in wages alone, these figures include reduced cost of not having to import products from overseas and less tax in many western countries because it is not being imported. But simply the increase in wages is enough to drive the cost of that ipod to a 100 times increase in price.

An Estonian woman who worked in a clothes manufacturing company owned by the Swedes (or some other foreigners) said in an interview that she makes tens of clothing articles during a day which are then exported to the Western countries and sold there for a price that is 10 times her monthly income. She could never afford a coat that she makes.
10.01.2012 - 17:35
larshammer
There is no meaning, but absurdism as described by Kierkegaard.
11.01.2012 - 00:15
ToMegaTherion
Written by Ernis on 10.01.2012 at 14:51

Written by ToMegaTherion on 10.01.2012 at 13:21

An Estonian woman who worked in a clothes manufacturing company owned by the Swedes (or some other foreigners) said in an interview that she makes tens of clothing articles during a day which are then exported to the Western countries and sold there for a price that is 10 times her monthly income. She could never afford a coat that she makes.

My point exactly...
14.01.2012 - 02:54
Grody2themax
\
This is the problem plaguing the human species since we began to gain the ability to think. We just cannot accept the fact that our existence is just a mundane repetition of eating, sleeping, finding shelter, mating, etc. We just can't accept the fact that we are just another mammal in the earth, fighting for existence in our respective environments.

There is no meaning of life, except for the journey in which it takes you on and you would probably have to be pretty nihilistic, pessimistic, psychotic, or ignorant to believe that our experiences through time are purely mundane repetition of actions.
14.01.2012 - 05:59
Guib
Thrash Talker
The meaning of life ?? Well first of all, trying to reason and find a meaning to life would be kind of futile, of course for us its everything but do you think a shrimp, a fish.. a bird or any other animal wakes up in the morning wondering WTF am I doing here ok maybe the octopus does, but apart from that I don't think so... I say there's no MEANING in life and that's probably why its so hard for us to comprehend, because everyday, we're trying to find explanations for anything happening so why not life itself, maybe someday someone will find an actual answer... but why caring, I won't be here to talk about it when its gonna happen ? Since we're at it, for the human race, I think the meaning of life is different for each individual, some wants to find love, other want to be famous, and alot wants to be happy. The most important is not the meaning of it all, I think its more how you enjoyed it and at the end if you're proud of what you've done with your life, thats only my opinion...
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.01.2012 - 09:11
VloRD
Written by Grody2themax on 14.01.2012 at 02:54

\
This is the problem plaguing the human species since we began to gain the ability to think. We just cannot accept the fact that our existence is just a mundane repetition of eating, sleeping, finding shelter, mating, etc. We just can't accept the fact that we are just another mammal in the earth, fighting for existence in our respective environments.

There is no meaning of life, except for the journey in which it takes you on and you would probably have to be pretty nihilistic, pessimistic, psychotic, or ignorant to believe that our experiences through time are purely mundane repetition of actions.

Yes, mundane repetitions of actions in a more sophisticated way every time, but the same activities none-the-less. Hence the essence is as uninspiring as ever. I also mentioned that I approve of this repetitive standardization of living, while I mention that seeking an extra and even inane explanation for our existence is detrimental to progress.

In other words, accept that there is no supernatural cause for our living, and just work on improving the ordinary and obvious "reason" of existence, which is, well...to exist!
----
14.01.2012 - 16:26
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
"What's the meaning of life" is an irrelevant question, just try to make your own life comfortable and help as many other people as you can while you're doing that.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
14.01.2012 - 20:13
Grody2themax
Written by VloRD on 14.01.2012 at 09:11

Yes, mundane repetitions of actions in a more sophisticated way every time, but the same activities none-the-less. Hence the essence is as uninspiring as ever. I also mentioned that I approve of this repetitive standardization of living, while I mention that seeking an extra and even inane explanation for our existence is detrimental to progress.

In other words, accept that there is no supernatural cause for our living, and just work on improving the ordinary and obvious "reason" of existence, which is, well...to exist!

I agree, although to say that there is no supernatural cause for our living is scientifically false. The supernatural refers to all that occurs which modern science cannot explain. The goal of science is largely to learn more about supernatural events. Since we do not know why the exact origin and cause of our existence, which could tie in closely with the existence of the universe, then there is a supernatural cause for our living. You can hypothesize that that cause is forever beyond comprehension of intelligent life and call it God, or you can not if you choose to.

In my first post I didn't mean to attack you or anything and say you were ignorant, or pessimistic btw.
03.02.2012 - 20:38
Zombie94
It's never been a question of relevance to me. Our purpose is to propagate our gene pool as much as we can before we die. And as fun as that is hehehehe but in all serious this question is one for each individual to answer themselves. The meaning I find in my life is to make the most of my very short time on this earth (relatively speaking of course, I'm not on my deathbed!) and do what will make me happy and try to not get in too many people's way in the process.
03.02.2012 - 22:30
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
I watched a great movie with the same name yesterday!

Well, I don't know, Nobody know... born, grow, have sons, work, work, work, work, and ... Die! A vicious circle that we cannot stop!
20.02.2012 - 23:48
Waldheri
In this view, I am an absurdist - I do not think that there is an inherent meaning to life, and that if there is, we will never find it.

Quote:
"... in spite of or in defiance of the whole of existence he wills to be himself with it, to take it along, almost defying his torment. For to hope in the possibility of help, not to speak of help by virtue of the absurd, that for God all things are possible - no, that he will not do. And as for seeking help from any other - no, that he will not do for all the world; rather than seek help he would prefer to be himself - with all the tortures of hell, if so it must be."
? Søren Kierkegaard, The Sickness Unto Death

Quote:
"All interpretation or observation of reality is necessarily fiction. In this case, the problem is that man is a moral animal abandoned in an amoral universe and condemned to a finite existence with no other purpose than to perpetuate the natural cycle of the species. It is impossible to survive in a prolonged state of reality, at least for a human being. We spend a good part of our lives dreaming, especially when we're awake."
? Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Angel's Game
23.02.2012 - 07:57
whatsacow
To answer the meaning of life, we must first establish our basis. Where did we come from? To do that, we must establish whether or not we believe in an infinite regression, or whether we believe in an uncaused cause. Do we believe that at some point, there was simply an effect with no cause, that in effect caused us to be? Or do we believe that time is infinite and has always been here. Neither science nor religion support the idea of infinite regression, since as we all have a beginnning and end to our lifespan, we believe as such that our universe must have a beginning and an end. Humans seem incapable of understanding the idea.

But I pose to you, what if there were no beginning or end of the universe? What if it has always been? It may be completely different to the one we recognise now, possibly changed by years of rapid change. Technically, our life doesn't have a beginning, because the seeds of our lives had been planted through our great great great great great grandparents, and it will continue through to our future children.

I have no conclusion to this ranting, since it was purely spur of the moment idea, but oh well.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
09.03.2012 - 20:47
DJ Mythos
There can be no answers. We are born, we die, we putrefy, we sustain life. That is our only legacy. To me, the question 'why are we here?' is absurd. Who says life has to have some deeper meaning? To comprehend the age of our earth, and, more to the point, the age and size of our known universe, is to comprehend our insignificance. We were lucky enough to have evolved during an improbable temperate period in our earth's climate. To some, that's evidence of design. To me, it's proof that our existence is relagated to mere chance. You can search for meaning, a quest that necessarily ends in disappointment, in the realization that you are, in fact, NOT smarter than the countless philosophers who have wasted their gifts on this meandering topic, or you can live life in the present, to its fullest. Ideals and philosophies are important to societies, but I think it's necessary to recognize that societies themselves are not important at all, that we're all food for worms ('The worm is our only emperor for diet').
----
Vapour Bay Radio

Miasmic anti-modern metal.
20.03.2012 - 22:02
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Life is Uhm, Ugh, Eh?!, ahm------->
26.04.2012 - 20:23
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by DJ Mythos on 09.03.2012 at 20:47

There can be no answers. We are born, we die, we putrefy, we sustain life. That is our only legacy. To me, the question 'why are we here?' is absurd. Who says life has to have some deeper meaning? To comprehend the age of our earth, and, more to the point, the age and size of our known universe, is to comprehend our insignificance. We were lucky enough to have evolved during an improbable temperate period in our earth's climate. To some, that's evidence of design. To me, it's proof that our existence is relagated to mere chance. You can search for meaning, a quest that necessarily ends in disappointment, in the realization that you are, in fact, NOT smarter than the countless philosophers who have wasted their gifts on this meandering topic, or you can live life in the present, to its fullest. Ideals and philosophies are important to societies, but I think it's necessary to recognize that societies themselves are not important at all, that we're all food for worms ('The worm is our only emperor for diet').

This is pretty much how I live my life too...I live life for the here and the now and don't give a fuck about yesterday or tomorrow because those things don't matter...you simply cannot wrap yourself up in it...wrapping yourself up in that kind of question is how something like depression starts...if you start thinking, thinking leads to dangerous thoughts...

People also become very shy and introverted because of this principle...the philosophy of worrying so much about ourselves and questioning ourselves...if you stopped questioning yourselves, lived in the moment like I do and not really give a fuck because life is for the here and now and for the taking, I think people would be a lot less stressed, a lot more relaxed and a lot more accomplished...

The whole worms thing is also how I think...this is why religion doesn't matter to me and how the whole idea of an afterlife and heaven and hell is such a pile of shit idea to me...we die, we rot in the ground...
26.04.2012 - 20:37
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Nothing... seriously nothing.
27.04.2012 - 00:08
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
----
The force will be with you, always.
08.05.2012 - 03:19
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Work your fucking ass off, bitch Meaning of life
----
13.05.2012 - 17:58
Bulletdodger
Written by DJ Mythos on 09.03.2012 at 20:47

Our existence is not mere chance, maybe a bit, but it still is a pinnacle of some kind, and a tiny attempt for the universe to understand itself.

Such a weak-minded position you have there champ, from personal experience the search for meaning led me to happiness, and who are you to say that they have wasted their lives in pondering and speculating, have you spoken to any of those countless philosophers and thinkers, have you concluded that they are all unhappy and full of regret ? What if buy speculating on these topics they lived their life fully and happily and helped other people do the same.

It is better to speculate in vain, than to reject the challenges that the awareness of our existence has imposed unto us, because our intellectual capacities can never grow by rejecting problems of our existence.
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert