Metal Storm logo
Pantera

Original post

Posted by Darth Satanious, 18.05.2006 - 00:00
Coming from a style that some consider to be Glam, US Power Metal or just Heavy Metal (I haven't had the chance of actually listening to this period from the band) Pantera became a Groove Thrash metal band that told all those Grunge bands, that were taking over during the 90's, to fuck off, that Metal is alive and breathing. Their music, raw and in your face, has influenced several bands including many Nu Metal bands (often hated for that).

As we all know, the life of the guitar god Dimebag Darrell ended during a tragic incident where a son of a bitch killed him during a show of his other band Damageplan, in which he too played guitar along with his brother Vinnie Paul, in December 8th, 2004. Millions suffered his death back in those days and we all still do for he was a unique guitar palyer and person, as all the people who knew him acknowledge. He may not be with us in flesh but he will be alive forever through his music.

Here is their official thread.
11.12.2011 - 19:48
Pantera wasn't the most technical or flashiest band ever but they were the best overall package.
It's a shame that some asshole prevented a possibility of a reunion because I would've loved to see Pantera again.
12.12.2011 - 01:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I definitely wouldn't call Pantera the best overall package. They're good for simple, catchy riffs and mid-paced headbanging... not much else.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.12.2011 - 01:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.12.2011 at 01:17

I definitely wouldn't call Pantera the best overall package. They're good for simple, catchy riffs and mid-paced headbanging... not much else.

I tend not to agree. They're far from my favourite band but Pantera exemplify metal in a way that most bands don't. They're a good "all-round package" kind of band in that sense.
12.12.2011 - 01:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 12.12.2011 at 01:25
I tend not to agree. They're far from my favourite band but Pantera exemplify metal in a way that most bands don't. They're a good "all-round package" kind of band in that sense.

When I think of Pantera I think of angry alcoholic tattooed rednecks fist-fighting around a backyard bonfire in a trailer park, smoking heavy cigars they stole and beating their girlfriends.

I dunno, that's probably just me. But I definitely don't think of them as an all-round package kind of band. Maybe a nice, heavy aggressive metal band for bikers and juiceheads.

/stereotypes
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.12.2011 - 01:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.12.2011 at 01:30

When I think of Pantera I think of angry alcoholic tattooed rednecks fist-fighting around a backyard bonfire in a trailer park, smoking heavy cigars they stole and beating their girlfriends.

I dunno, that's probably just me. But I definitely don't think of them as an all-round package kind of band. Maybe a nice, heavy aggressive metal band for bikers and juiceheads.

/stereotypes

That's one of looking at them but most people who like Pantera regale in a sense of hero worship for Dimebag, and that perception of metal in the sense of aggressive, drunken brainlessness is kinda prevalent in metal as a whole. Someone's gotta be a flag-bearer.
12.12.2011 - 01:36
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 12.12.2011 at 01:35
Someone's gotta be a flag-bearer.

I'll give them credit for that. Prior to Pantera I don't think such a band existed. I mean the thrash bands of the '80s had their whole brainless aggression thing going on, but not like Pantera.
----
12.12.2011 - 01:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.12.2011 at 01:36

I'll give them credit for that. Prior to Pantera I don't think such a band existed. I mean the thrash bands of the '80s had their whole brainless aggression thing going on, but not like Pantera.

I just think style-wise Pantera have a nice middle-ground thing going on, thrash but not too thrashy, heavy but also groovy with an overbearing attitude. I know you don't like them but they're probably the ultimate mindless-drunk in a pub kind of band to listen to for me.
12.12.2011 - 01:42
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 12.12.2011 at 01:38
...the ultimate mindless-drunk in a pub kind of band to listen to for me.

To be honest, that's probably a partial reason for why I never enjoyed them. I don't do the drunk-in-a-pub thing, and I don't do the tough-guy thing, so typically nothing about their sound appeals to me. I like one of their songs though... I think it's "Cowboys From Hell" but I can't be sure.
----
12.12.2011 - 01:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=4365] on 12.12.2011 at 01:38

Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.12.2011 at 01:36

I just think style-wise Pantera have a nice middle-ground thing going on, thrash but not too thrashy, heavy but also groovy with an overbearing attitude. I know you don't like them but they're probably the ultimate mindless-drunk in a pub kind of band to listen to for me.

So they are like Motörhead in that sense, which is also ultimate mindless-drunk in a pub kind of band to listen to for me.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.12.2011 - 10:30
bran
Pantera had 2 good albums before the whole tough guy thing started to where thin IMO
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
15.03.2012 - 19:48
I always liked Cowboys From Hell but i got bored listening to it lately.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
21.04.2012 - 11:16
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Dimebag Darrell Unreleased Song is now streaming online.

08.12.2012 - 13:52
FinnishSammich
8 years have gone now... R.I.P Dimebag.
13.12.2014 - 22:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.01.2015 - 14:23
I want a reunion so badly!
----
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
02.01.2015 - 18:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Infernal Eternal on 02.01.2015 at 14:23

Maybe zombie metal could be a new genre.
----
02.01.2015 - 20:32
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.01.2015 at 18:58

Written by Infernal Eternal on 02.01.2015 at 14:23

Maybe zombie metal could be a new genre.

I'm sure you know I'm talking about Vinnie Paul / Phil / Rex + Zakk Wylde.
----
02.01.2015 - 21:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Infernal Eternal on 02.01.2015 at 20:32

I was actually making a joke about how long the band's been dead for without realizing that it also works as a play on the whole Dimebag thing.

Obviously I'm so funny even I have to think about my jokes.
----
02.01.2015 - 21:37
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.01.2015 at 21:30

Written by Infernal Eternal on 02.01.2015 at 20:32

I was actually making a joke about how long the band's been dead for without realizing that it also works as a play on the whole Dimebag thing.

Obviously I'm so funny even I have to think about my jokes.

You're so funny you can make funeral attendants laugh. Obviously.
----
03.01.2015 - 01:29
Zap
Written by deadone on 03.01.2015 at 00:34

I don't see the point. Dimebag was a critical component. Without him it wouldn't sound right and any music they write would not be right either.

I think he mostly meant a reunion tour, although I can't be 100% certain.
03.01.2015 - 17:34
Written by Zap on 03.01.2015 at 01:29

Written by deadone on 03.01.2015 at 00:34

I don't see the point. Dimebag was a critical component. Without him it wouldn't sound right and any music they write would not be right either.

I think he mostly meant a reunion tour, although I can't be 100% certain.

That's right. I wouldn't expect a comeback album without Dimebag. It wouldn't sound right. Besides, a reunion is impossible as Vinnie Paul still blames Anselmo for Dimebag's death and refuses to talk to either Phil or Rex...
----
09.01.2015 - 11:43
Silent Jay
No need to even consider Zakk Wylde to stand-in for a Pantera reunion. Hey if Tupac and Michael Jackson can perform as holograms, why the fuck can't Dime!?
10.01.2015 - 09:44
Ganondox
Pantera is one those bands where I listen to a song by them, I hate it, and I'm like "I hate Pantera", but then I get convinced to listen to another Pantera song which I actually end up liking, so I'm more open minded about Pantera until I listen to another Pantera song and I'm like "So THAT's why I hated Pantera" and the cycle continues.
10.01.2015 - 18:48
Mattybu
Written by Ganondox on 10.01.2015 at 09:44

Pantera is one those bands where I listen to a song by them, I hate it, and I'm like "I hate Pantera", but then I get convinced to listen to another Pantera song which I actually end up liking, so I'm more open minded about Pantera until I listen to another Pantera song and I'm like "So THAT's why I hated Pantera" and the cycle continues.

I actually know exactly what you are talking about... That's not how it is with me for Pantera though, they literally only ever wrote 1 good song and that song is only good cause it was in Spongebob
10.01.2015 - 23:21
Totenlieder
I enjoy Pantera, but not their die hard fans.
Always those fat dudes at every concert with a Pantera shirt that is an asshole.
----
Blut & Krieg
11.01.2015 - 23:29
Nucky
I've listened some albums years ago but never really was into them.. I like Cowboys from Hell album
25.01.2015 - 12:09
Machiavelli
Account deleted

Dime's old party band GASOLINE live 2002. Pretty cool.
26.01.2015 - 12:23
Ganondox
Written by Totenlieder on 10.01.2015 at 23:21

Always those fat dudes at every concert with a Pantera shirt that is an asshole.

27.01.2015 - 02:54
Totenlieder
Written by Ganondox on 26.01.2015 at 12:23

Written by Totenlieder on 10.01.2015 at 23:21

Everything on that is the motherfucking truth.
I can't stand those guys at shows.
Or anywhere, there's always that guy at any moment, who shouts
"This shit ain't heavy enough put on some Pantera!"
Or something like that.
----
Blut & Krieg
01.03.2015 - 09:28
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Grave of Late Pantera Guitarist Dimebag Darrell Vandalized.

Initally, it was thought to be the vocalist of an unsigned band named Nuclear Hellfrost. But, it now confirmed that the work behind all this is the former vocalist's name is believed to be Reece Eber.

Below are some photographs to see how to unfolds.