Metal Storm logo
Metal: A Headbanger's Journey

30.06.2006 - 03:13
Valmont
Have anyone seen this documentry about metal music? I saw it on TV it was really good. An anthrpologist guy named Sam Dunn travels all around the world to interview metal music artists from USA to Norway and some other places i guess and makes a deep analysis about metal music. Basicly he simply breaks down the subject real easily that it even catches a non-metal person or a metal hater stereotype. You should check it out. I also need info about how and where to download it urgently. Anyone?
30.06.2006 - 05:48
Nathan Lurker
The Black Metal part of the documentary is just priceless. There's thoses Mayhem guys that can't say anything else than "fuck it" (wich really brings down the conversation value to 0 ) and then that Gorgoroth guy wo's trying so hard to be evil when really what he has to say amount to nothing. "What do you talk about in your music ?" [evil staring eyes...moment of reflection] "satan" [drinks wine in the most evil/creepy looking way] "what does satan means to you ? " [evil staring eyes...moment of reflection] "freedom". End of interview. I almost laughed. Wait....I think I laughed. Yes I did because that's so lame

Ho well. It's not Sam Dunn's fault. The documentary was actually real good. And after the Mayhem interview we can actually see how discouraged he is
----

I came up from below when the she-wolf howled
and the night gave birth to her only child !Black Thunder!
I never knew no mercy I never knew no shame
I am hell in the storm clouds, the devil calls my name !Black Thunder!
30.06.2006 - 13:10
Valmont
Written by Nathan Lurker on 30.06.2006 at 05:48

The Black Metal part of the documentary is just priceless. There's thoses Mayhem guys that can't say anything else than "fuck it" (wich really brings down the conversation value to 0 ) and then that Gorgoroth guy wo's trying so hard to be evil when really what he has to say amount to nothing. "What do you talk about in your music ?" [evil staring eyes...moment of reflection] "satan" [drinks wine in the most evil/creepy looking way] "what does satan means to you ? " [evil staring eyes...moment of reflection] "freedom". End of interview. I almost laughed. Wait....I think I laughed. Yes I did because that's so lame

Ho well. It's not Sam Dunn's fault. The documentary was actually real good. And after the Mayhem interview we can actually see how discouraged he is

Haha! That's also a joke between me and my friends, we do that time to time. =P Either they pretend of being real it just purely shows how metal effects people in good ways and bad ways. The documentry itself is priceless. =)
30.06.2006 - 15:43
ylside
Staff
Good Documentary, the black metal part is the most aweful thing I saw "......Satan."
The high point of A Headbanger's journey for me was the interview with Tommi Iommi. Beside that, it isn't that good. There's one documentary about DM/BM called "666 At Calling Death", this one was nice.
30.06.2006 - 20:41
Soliloquy
i saw half of it in the theatres. after all, the Sam Dunn is canadian. i'm thinking of buying the dvd. the sound track is really cool though.
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
02.07.2006 - 00:48
matos
@Valmot: you said you need to find the way to download it ASAP... i found the torrent on torrentspy.com (and also at Mininova.org), i wanted to download it but, the video is a real good DVD rip so it's size is something about 7GB, maybe i shall dl it when i clean my computer up a bit
----
02.07.2006 - 01:24
Valmont
Written by matos on 02.07.2006 at 00:48

@Valmot: you said you need to find the way to download it ASAP... i found the torrent on torrentspy.com (and also at Mininova.org), i wanted to download it but, the video is a real good DVD rip so it's size is something about 7GB, maybe i shall dl it when i clean my computer up a bit

Yea well i tried that too. =P Then i found an eight parted downloadable version on some Turkish blog page. It was priceless but parts II and III were corrupted and it was like hell to me realizing it. So i'm kind of a bit wounded. I just watch the part I.. It's like fifteen minutes... and i yearn... Lol DVD is out but i was never good with them i don't even have a DVD player so i'm sticking around for the VCD. Hope it will be out in a short time =P Thanks for the reply tho.
03.07.2006 - 05:32
Daru Jericho
I've heard so much about this. I really wanna see it and that BM part sounds funny as fuck!
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

03.07.2006 - 17:17
Valmont
Written by Daru Jericho on 03.07.2006 at 05:32

I've heard so much about this. I really wanna see it and that BM part sounds funny as fuck!

Oh yea! If you ever find it on somewhere in the internet let me know please. =P
03.07.2006 - 19:02
Basso
Account deleted
I downloaded the 7.7 gb version from torrentspy. It only took one night. I am definitly going to watch it tonight or maybe tomorrow, I really hope there are some cool interviews with Ihsahn, Trym and Samoth!
03.07.2006 - 19:21
Soliloquy
Written by Daru Jericho on 03.07.2006 at 05:32

it was released in north america maybe last month on dvd and video. so just wait for it around a few weeks to a month before you see it in your video store
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
04.07.2006 - 19:10
Basso
Account deleted
I saw it yesterday and it was a great show. The material from Wacken really made me go crazy, I can hardly wait until Wacken now 30 days to go!
18.07.2006 - 02:31
Endoftherainbow
I liked this documentary so much that I went out and bought it. Buying the movie is worth it because there's an extended version of the Black Metal part and it does alot more for Black Metal and it goes into more detail then "...Satan" alot of the special features on that DVD are pretty cool actually. My only problem with the documentary is it should have been longer even though I know it's hard to make a documentary that's two hours long and goes into proper detail about everything in metal history.
19.07.2006 - 15:51
SETHULHU
yogi_lb@hotmail.com
Elite
hmm seems interesting, ill download on emule. thanx mates
----
This site is great. FOR ME TO POOP ON.

reBubblefuckered !!!BAAAALEEETEEED!!!
21.07.2006 - 07:57
..ExoTeaR..
im now more intrested in this '666 at calling death' dvd ylside speaks of but im buying this dvd soon with metal a headbangers journey
----
[-0-] Aussie Aussie Aussie!!!
23.07.2006 - 08:30
W-Lash
Metal Master
I have seen many documentaries and i guess this one could be above average. I didn't like that there was lots of Iron Maiden stuff (like in all similar movies) and so little black metal lr death metal.
And like MournfulWoods said, Mayhem interview was total crap and Gaahl from Gorgoroth was a bit silly.
30.07.2006 - 03:04
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I bought this a week or two ago. I have seen it like 5 times so far. It is not only a great documentary on metal, it is a great documentary period.

Oh yeah, I laugh so hard at the whole "Satan" thing. Please, could those Black Metal guys be more dorks than they already are? But besides the inane nature of tr00 grim fuck 'em all killer necro grim black metal, the rest is very intersting and educational. While I knew pretty much everything that was covered there, it was nice having it all in one package. Where else will you see Geddy Lee and Slipknot together?
----
(space for rent)
30.07.2006 - 12:27
Locke
Account deleted
Some of the best stuff from the flick is on the 2nd disc. there's a great extended interview with Lemmy that's too damn funny.

I would have liked to see all of the interviews he did in their entirety but I guess that much footage wouldn't be practical for a DVD release.

I heard that Sam Dunn is already filming a follow up documentary on the global aspects of heavy metal so that's something to look forward to.
30.07.2006 - 12:28
W-Lash
Metal Master
Written by Dane Train on 30.07.2006 at 03:04

I bought this a week or two ago. I have seen it like 5 times so far. It is not only a great documentary on metal, it is a great documentary period.

Oh yeah, I laugh so hard at the whole "Satan" thing. Please, could those Black Metal guys be more dorks than they already are? But besides the inane nature of tr00 grim fuck 'em all killer necro grim black metal, the rest is very intersting and educational. While I knew pretty much everything that was covered there, it was nice having it all in one package. Where else will you see Geddy Lee and Slipknot together?

That fucking Slipknot and Korn shouldn't be there because they don't fit in that movie.
30.07.2006 - 20:45
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by W-Lash on 30.07.2006 at 12:28

That fucking Slipknot and Korn shouldn't be there because they don't fit in that movie.

What do you mean that they don't fit the movie? Munkey from Korn had some interesting things to say. Also, the material from Slipknot was a nice perspective on the American Midwest movement.

Now I am not a fan of either band really, but they are part of metal. Korn was the reason we have Nu Metal. So what, you don't like Nu Metal. That is fine. I don't either. But they are part of the Metal Community. 20 years ago the same thing could have been said about the Glam Metal bands. I would like to see someone give a solid explination why we should never interview Dee Snider when we are talking about Metal. I don't like most Black Metal, but I think it is somethng that should have been in the movie.
----
(space for rent)
30.07.2006 - 20:57
Vrana
I haven't see it jet, but I think that I'm going to download it... it seems to be a good show, and I want to see the blask metal part
30.07.2006 - 21:07
Black_Handed
A village idiot
well...the document itself was good, but have anyone taken a closer look on the "which band is which genre"? its pretty messed up, like Sodom being Death Metal, Opeth Stoner Metal. no mention of Doom Metal, totally new genre New Wave of American Metal and so on.
----

Cryptic Bleak Smurf of Ur
30.07.2006 - 21:14
Vrana
hey, I've found the black metal part on youtube.... if it's there anyone interested, click here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCcyXl2w13o&NR
30.07.2006 - 21:20
Black_Handed
A village idiot
hmm found torrent of "666 at calling death" but its dead.....any other ideas?
----

Cryptic Bleak Smurf of Ur
31.07.2006 - 01:39
Iron_Metalfan
Account deleted
Bought this dvd as soon as I saw it on the shelf, The part with alice cooper Mocking all the Norwegian Black Metal Bands is funny as hell. And I quote-
" I love going to Europe and picking up those Black metal magazines. Its so Spinal Tap" Because every band is trying to be more wicked and evil than the others. And then you meet these people in the mall without makeup and there all like Hi mr cooper may we have your autograph?" Alice in the film is hilarious and has some of the best stuff to say besides Dee Snider.
Best Metal documentry ever ( THough there is only a short list )
06.08.2006 - 20:56
Urizen367
i loved this film! after i watched it, i thought someone finally got it right! and who better to get it right, than one of our own, eh? i however did notice a slight error. in the branching of bands, under norweigian black metal, you'll find Cradle of Filth. and as we all know Cof is neither norweigian, nor black metal (they said so themselves) still loved it!!
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
06.08.2006 - 22:48
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Vrana on 30.07.2006 at 21:14

hey, I've found the black metal part on youtube.... if it's there anyone interested, click here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCcyXl2w13o&NR

Thanks, it was really cool!

Err, I mean grim.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
12.08.2006 - 20:25
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Okay, I'm confused ... Was watching MTV's making the movie, a small feature about Metal: A Headbanger's Journey and they say that it will be releases in the cinema's next month. But I've already seen it somewhere at the beginning of this year in the cinema's, and its even already released as a DVD!! But well, it would be cool to see it again I guess. Perhaps its because it was quite a big hit at the Filmfestival here, it placed 4th or 3rd or somewhere around that of lots and lots of movies. So it deserved a full release in the cinema's. Ah well, I'm not complaining.
13.08.2006 - 23:53
W-Lash
Metal Master
I watched the black metal part and i was a bit disappointed because it was a bit cheap. There were only some interviews with musicians and i didn't find anything new for me. Btw it's only ~25 min long (if i remember correctly) and that means it's TOO short.
16.08.2006 - 00:32
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Dane Train on 30.07.2006 at 03:04

Please, could those Black Metal guys be more dorks than they already are?

I hope you are saying that they are stupid referring to their efforts in looking evil in front of the camera solely (which indeed seems funny at times) for there is nothing either funny or stupid in rebelling against the Christian oppressors.

P.S. This thread should be in the General Metal forum.
----
Christless