09. A Moment Of Clarity [Instrumental] ['96 demos]
10. Bite The Pain [Instrumental] ['96 demos]
11. Story To Tell [Instrumental] ['96 demos]
12. Voice Of The Soul [Instrumental] ['96 demos]
13. A Moment Of Clarity [Instrumental] ['96 demos]

Top 20 albums of 1998: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 9

Additional info
Nuclear Blast Records released a deluxe edition in December 2005. It contains the original album as well as the DVD Live in Cottbus '98 and press pictures. It was also released as a DualDisc.

Relapse Records released a second deluxe edition on February 15, 2011. The album was remastered and reissued in deluxe 2-CD and 3-CD formats, with the additional CDs containing unreleased demo material.

Produced by Jim Morris and Chuck Schuldiner.
Engineered, mixed and mastered by Jim Morris at Morrisound Studios, Tampa, Florida.
Artwork by Travis Smith.
Art direction and design by Chuck Schuldiner and Travis Smith.

Remastered by Alan Douches at West West Side Music.
Additional bonus material mastered by Alan Douches at West West Side Music.
Reissue coordination by Drew Juergens.
Layout by Jacob Speis.

Guest review by
Yanko
Rating:
This is it. Finally, after more than 10 years of waiting, we have got It. The one, the only the true thrash metal album. Death have had six releases, have made some drastic changes in their style and have achieved it finally.

Despite being labeled as the fathers of death metal, only their first album is truly death metal, mainly due to vocal abilities of main-man Chuck Schuldiner, who was never really a death vocal. His singing has steadily and gradually evolved into more and more shrieking, until now on this album we hear him really screaming. Not many people came to terms with it and have accepted, but it is what thrash metal is all about. Its most distinct feature are the vocals and Chuck has shown what thrash vocals should sound like. Screaming, aggressive, full of feeling, coming right from the heart. True thrash metal that is.

Read more ››
published 15.09.2003 | Comments (28)

Guest review by
K✞ulu
Rating:
I'm not going to start this review with whining about how unfortunate we are for having lost Chuck Schuldiner back in 2001 and The Sound Of Perseverance being the last Death album. Chuck was a great musician indeed, but fate was too cruel to him, and he passed away. The legacy in form of his music though is with us, so let's talk about it.

Read more ››
published 06.07.2008 | Comments (24)

Guest review by
metaniac
Rating:
What started off from Individual Thought Patterns and continued through Symbolic as a slight progressive-thrash deviation for Death casts its full blown dominance in The Sound Of Perseverance. Just before Chuck goes out with his plans on Control Denied, this album comes out.

It is very hard to single out highlight songs from an album with so many exquisite technical creations, nevertheless, "Scavenger OF Human Sorrow", "Spirit Crusher", "Voice Of the Soul", "Bite the Pain", "A Moment Of Clarity" stand out among the tracks. Listening to the whole album from beginning to the end is a downright MUST and also a request.

Read more ››
published 28.10.2010 | Comments (18)

Guest review by
Hermann Langke
Rating:
What better name for a metal band? Especially one concentrating so fixedly on the snuffing out of life? The sonic blood-curdling career of mainman Chuck Schuldiner is one of the most celebrated in the development of death metal as a thrash sub-genre. Death were the daddies of this hack 'n' slay brand of guitar violence, and anyone with even the vaguest wish to count themselves as practitioners of extreme noise, from Carcass to Deicide, from Obituary to Cannibal Corpse, would count Schuldiner's unholy racket as a major influence.

Read more ››
published 23.04.2011 | Comments (29)

Found in 156 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 5

Comments: 145   Visited by: 3265 users
17.08.2013 - 20:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 17.08.2013 at 20:18

The important thing to note, above everything else, is that this album is utterly naff regardless of the genre

absolutely
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.08.2013 - 20:21
Rating: 9
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 17.08.2013 at 20:18

The important thing to note, above everything else, is that this album is utterly naff regardless of the genre

Oh, put a sock in it! hehe
17.08.2013 - 20:22
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Well, I dig it. 7-8 depending on the mood.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.08.2013 - 20:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Easily Death's worst by far.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.08.2013 - 20:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.08.2013 at 20:28

Easily Death's worst by far.

I totally read that as "Easily Death's worst so far."
20.08.2013 - 18:57
Mattybu
Written by Guest on 10.05.2013 at 00:41

All Death albums would be better without Chuck's vocals if you ask me. Probably one of the worst sounding vocalists I've ever heard.

Mentioning His name without the mandatory R.I.P. is metal blasphemy... How dare you!!!

Here's the thing about Chuck, I would guess that without him, Death would be more in the neighborhood of ball crushing death metal such as early Morbid Angel. Maybe. But theres already enough pancreas impaling stuff out there. So at the end of the day, I would say they aren't always the best but his vocals do have their moments of fitting in really well, and they are hardly enough to detract that much from some otherwise good albums.

And I would consider this a good album, despite it not being the group's best and the vocals here being the worst of any Death record.
20.08.2013 - 19:44
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I absolutely love Chuck's vocals on the early Death albums. "Leprosy" was the first death metal album I ever heard back when I was 14, and his vocals on that album chilled me to the bone. The vocals right at the end of "Altering The Future" from "Spiritual Healing" still gives me goosebumps today! And of course, his vocals were completely unique, I've still never heard any death metal vocalist like him.

The vocals on this album are definitely the worst of Chuck's career, but they're certainly not bad enough to bring down what is a very good album musically for the most part. It's not one of Death's classic albums, but I still like it very much.
20.08.2013 - 19:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
If Chuck kept his vocals in the same style as Death's first 2 albums then his later material would have been way better.
----
Rod, let me love you.
20.08.2013 - 19:59
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.08.2013 at 19:52

If Chuck kept his vocals in the same style as Death's first 2 albums then his later material would have been way better.

I'm not sure whether Chuck's different vocals on the later albums (and especially on TSOP) was due to him consciously altering them, or whether he just simply wasn't capable of singing in the same style as on earlier albums. Even before Chuck found out he had cancer, he had hinted that TSOP might be the last Death album, as he was finding it hard to keep singing in that harsh style.
02.10.2013 - 17:45
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
I like this album less than Symbolic, but I consider it a great record nevertheless.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
28.01.2015 - 20:52
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Guest on 10.05.2013 at 00:41

Probably one of the worst sounding vocalists I've ever heard.

Vocally he sucks on this one but his vocals are Ok on previous albums. Honestly I think Ihsahn is worse (his screams, not clean vocals of course). And of course nobody is able to beat Dani.
28.01.2015 - 21:07
Zap
Written by Hex_Omega on 28.01.2015 at 20:52

Vocally he sucks on this one but his vocals are Ok on previous albums. Honestly I think Ihsahn is worse (his screams, not clean vocals of course). And of course nobody is able to beat Dani.

Ihsahn's are usually too high in the mix as well. In Emperor I always thought his vocals fitted well, but on his solo work there's too much focus on them.
28.01.2015 - 21:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Well the only Emperor album I like is Nightside, and to be honest I've never been bothered by the vocals from it (I've heard a few complaints that they're a bit "Waaaah waaaah" ish though). Not heard much Ihsahn stuff either. Not really my cup of coffee.
28.01.2015 - 21:30
Zap
Written by Guest on 28.01.2015 at 21:20

Well the only Emperor album I like is Nightside, and to be honest I've never been bothered by the vocals from it (I've heard a few complaints that they're a bit "Waaaah waaaah" ish though). Not heard much Ihsahn stuff either. Not really my cup of coffee.

They're perfect on that album because they're right where they should be mix-wise. Also, maybe they're just better on Emperor's first two albums, but after those Ihsahn's vocals bother me more and more.
28.01.2015 - 21:50
Rating: 6
Ilham
Giant robot
I thought this was a Death thread. And I get moaned at for off-topic.
28.01.2015 - 21:55
Zap
I thought that was a death threat.
/offtopic

Well, uh, the album is, uh, pretty good I guess. I used to think Death was great because everyone said they were. And then I made up my own mind. They're alright.
28.01.2015 - 21:56
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 28.01.2015 at 21:50

I thought this was a Death thread. And I get moaned at for off-topic.

Please don't change the subject.
03.03.2015 - 01:27
Rating: 10
woshige
One of my favorites. it grows on you. after a few listens, it just makes so much sense. vocal style is different but cool, and refreshing compared to cliche growling. if you dont want to listen just because of the vocals, then you'll never understand or appreciate this album (which is ironic because that's how extreme metal is). people who already decided to hate this album can't be helped, but those who are open-minded should give this one a chance.
03.03.2015 - 06:30
woshige
Written by deadone on 03.03.2015 at 06:08

Written by woshige on 03.03.2015 at 01:27

but those who are open-minded should give this one a chance.

It's got nothing to do with open mindedness.

Just cause people don't like something doesn't mean they're close minded. Conversely liking something doesn't mean the person is open minded.

Lol that wasn't even meant to be an insult but just because you dislike it you get offended. As I said before, I meant that people who didn't decide to hate it should perhaps give it a closer look rather than just panning it because of a certain aspect they didn't like. Also, being open-minded is not just about "liking" something but a general attitude. It is not competitive or argumentative. Good day.
03.03.2015 - 06:46
woshige
Written by deadone on 03.03.2015 at 06:35

Written by woshige on 03.03.2015 at 06:30

...than just panning it because of a certain aspect they didn't like.

Giving it a listen and not liking certain aspects is still being "open minded."

Indeed panning it for not liking certain aspects is quite reasonable.

Quote:

Also, being open-minded is not just about "liking" something but a general attitude. It is not competitive or argumentative. Good day.

You implied the opposite - your statement was loaded to imply it's an album for "open minded" types. Open minded is trying something out of one's comfort zone. For many metalheads Death is very much within their comfort zone.

Anyhow I've tried this album numerous times over 15 years and can't stand it. In fact I can't stand most things by Death. Give me Atheist anyday.

S T O P T R O L L I N G.
1) Music is objective. Stop arguing with people that have nothing to do with you or your opinions.
2) Everyone's opinions on music is worthless. Take mine for what it is and don't convince me or anyone else otherwise.
3) You have a very hostile and insecure perspective. Neutral posts threaten your opinions so easily.
4) You don't have to give any examples of other bands or music, you don't get any awards for liking something else.
03.03.2015 - 07:02
woshige
Written by deadone on 03.03.2015 at 06:58

Written by woshige on 03.03.2015 at 06:46

S T O P T R O L L I N G.

Hilariously hypocrital.

Quote:

1) Music is objective. Stop arguing with people that have nothing to do with you or your opinions.
2) Everyone's opinions on music is worthless. Take mine for what it is and don't convince me or anyone else otherwise.

Totally agree.

Quote:
3) You have a very hostile and insecure perspective. Neutral posts threaten your opinions so easily.

Saying an album is for open minded people (thus implying people who don't like it are close minded) is not a neutral opinion. Neither is basically stating that people who don't like the album because of some aspects are close minded.

Quote:
4) You don't have to give any examples of other bands or music, you don't get any awards for liking something else.

Merely stating my personal preferrence is for Atheist when it comes to proggy early 1990s Death Metal.

Then what the fuck? By you even trying to argue being "open-minded" to an opinion in the first place is just unnecessary. There was no threat implied in my first post because I already excluded your opinion. Why can't you do the same?
03.03.2015 - 07:13
woshige
Written by deadone on 03.03.2015 at 07:09

Written by woshige on 03.03.2015 at 07:02

Then what the fuck? By you even trying to argue being "open-minded" to an opinion in the first place is just unnecessary. There was no threat implied in my first post because I already excluded your opinion. Why can't you do the same?

Your exact words (emphasis is mine):

Quote:
if you dont want to listen just because of the vocals, then you'll never understand or appreciate this album (which is ironic because that's how extreme metal is). people who already decided to hate this album can't be helped, but those who are open-minded should give this one a chance.

Basically what you wrote was:

1. People don't understand this album but you do (implies a sense of your own superiority).

2. "People who have already decided to hate this album" - Basically equates to haters gonna hate (thus writing off other's opinions as irrational hate).

3. Sound of Perserverance is for people with an "open mind" thus implying that haters are "close minded."

This is exactly what I am talking about. You perceive threats out of my post for no reason and out of nowhere. I told you it was not argumentative but you make it an argument in your mind. That's why you are the troll because you replied to my post in the first place. Please if you really can't like this album, don't read the forums because you'll waste everyone's time and yours.
03.03.2015 - 07:27
woshige
Written by deadone on 03.03.2015 at 07:19

Written by woshige on 03.03.2015 at 07:13

This is exactly what I am talking about. You perceive threats out of my post for no reason and out of nowhere. I told you it was not argumentative but you make it an argument in your mind. That's why you are the troll because you replied to my post in the first place. Please if you really can't like this album, don't read the forums because you'll waste everyone's time and yours.

So the forums shoulds only be for people who like the albums? Wow, just wow!

You say it's not argumentative but accuse everyone who doesn't like the vocals as "not understanding the album" and being close minded. That is argumentative.

Personally I don't give a flying fuck that you like this album. That's your perogative. But people have every right to not like the album and every right to comment on an album as to why they don't like it.

I always think it's hilarious that fanboys crap on about being open minded but can't handle criticism of their favourite things.

You just ignored what I was trying to explain and assume I was saying people who hate this album are stupid. Just saying, you quoted my post and took it way out of proportion. I did not say half the things you said I implied, and if you can't see it, it's your own problem. All the aggression came from you, and now you pass it off by being passive-aggressive and saying this is all about freedom of opinion. Well, feel free to keep arguing this imaginary argument.
03.03.2015 - 07:43
woshige
Written by deadone on 03.03.2015 at 07:33

You're a funny dude. In the end you accused people of close mindedness and stated that forums are only for fans and then tried to psychoanalyse me. How hilarious.

Where did I say that statement EXACTLY? It's YOUR interpretation of what I said. And again why do you ignore replying directly and just keep generalizing my words? Are you a professional mind-reader and just put what I am exactly thinking in your posts as arguments to your precious, insecure mind? I should thank you for caring so much about my opinions that you would FORCE me to see that your opinion is much more legitimate than mine. Dickhead.
03.03.2015 - 09:43
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
This stupid rant continued far too long. Hopefully that "Sayonara" goes for the other part of this shitfest.
----
Rod, let me love you.
03.03.2015 - 13:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Music is objective? No form of art is objective. Most of it is subjective.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.02.2016 - 05:26
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Even if music was objective in some manner(s), what would be the point in adopting that perspective.
07.12.2016 - 17:16
Can never get into Death whenever I try one of their albums, might be the vocals, find the singing/screaming incredibly grating and get no enjoyment what so ever
10.05.2018 - 01:19
Metren
Dreadrealm
I was both overwhelmed and underwhelmed by this album. Some of the technical wankery (particularly in "Flesh..." and "To Forgive...) is a total chore to listen to. There are some pretty damn good riffs scattered here and there, but a lot of the songwriting seems to be about showing off technical - as opposed to - song-crafting ability. The vocals aren't good, but that's really not a big problem for me. The "Painkiller" cover is pretty pointless, too close to the original (almost identical actually) and while the solos are original, they are also about speed and showing-off. Really don't see why this album is regarded this highly at all.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
17.01.2021 - 01:20
JavierPaper
One word: Masterpiece

Hits total: 96803 | This month: 336