09. Killing For A Living
10. The SRC

Top 20 albums of 2010: 5

Additional info
Mixed by Peter Tägtgren.

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
The driving force behind keeping a band going for thirty years is commendable, let alone when Ironbound is both album fifteen and arguably the most solid album the band has put to their name.

That's right, Overkill make their return with a whole new sense of conviction and power. Ironbound oozes with a thrash pedigree and confidently outclasses much of the genre's other contributors, both new and old. You can not take Overkill for granted with this release, as the band finally appear to have a burning fire underneath them with the result being an album to genuinely get excited about.

Read more ››
published 28.01.2010 | Comments (31)

Guest review by
AndMetalForAll
Rating:
2010 was a magical year to Overkill as they launched one of the greatest albums of their legendary career. After years of underground industrial metal albums of variable quality, the band set a standard for what thrash metal should be nowadays.

Ironbound is an amazing piece of heavy, thrash metal, bringing something new to the industry at the time where there aren't very many good albums released, even by great bands of this style. With this sick album the band brought up the best of themselves with amazing performances by every single one of the musicians. Bobby "Blitz" Ellsworth gives a top class performance shifting from high pitched singing to a lower range with a great and unique voice. Even though I personally never considered him a particularly outstanding singer, I have to admit that with the performance on this album he deserves to be among the best thrash metal vocalists of the past 20 years. Both guitar players perform insane riffs and solos and both D.D. Verni and Ron Lipnicki give the album the consistency, power and intensity needed to light up Overkill's career and give them a place among the names on the metal walk of fame.

Read more ››
published 02.11.2011 | Comments (0)

Guest review by
Unknown user
Rating:
I've always wanted to travel to the eighties and touch the peak of thrash metal, when giants in the underground world like Overkill of New Jersey shied away from the camera and only thought about producing true thrash. Although Overkill always tried to reconstruct that world for people like me, bands like them suffer from people criminally under-rating skilled thrash bands. The only thing I can say is that, after the release of each album, everyone's jaw always dropped in admiration for them.

Read more ››
published 04.08.2016 | Comments (11)

Just in case you've been living in a cave or in complete denial for the past several weeks, here's a quick reminder there's a new Overkill album in stores. And it's something to be excited about since it's one of band's best efforts in many years. Get it while it's hot.

Thryce's picks | More picks ››

Found in 56 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 86   Visited by: 1530 users
18.12.2010 - 20:22
RavenKing
Written by Baz Anderson on 18.12.2010 at 17:27

Written by RavenKing on 18.12.2010 at 17:01

Written by [user id=29268] on 24.01.2010 at 18:44

Indeed. Propably the best thrash metal stuff during last 5 years.

Not even close. Sorry for the negative comment and I know I won't get new friends with this post, but I never liked this brand of biteless Thrash. When it comes to Thrash, it's not heavy or aggressive at all.
And those pussy vocals make it impossible to take this band seriously.

This album is faster and much better than, lets say, "I Hear Black", but it is still far from extreme enough for my tastes in Thrash. And the slow parts sound more like traditional Heavy Metal than Thrash to me (apart from the uptempo parts, of course). In fact, I think the songs sound more like old Powermetal (melodic Speed Metal) with a different kind of vocals than really like Thrash.

LOL. Do you think everything sounds like power metal?

Do you think I give a fuck if you agree or not? Your opinion, I can spare. Just read elsewhere if you're not happy.
As if genre tags matter, anyway. I draw some comparisons, that's all. It's a way to explain that it sounds weak for Thrash Metal, imo.
People can disagree as much as they want. The way I see it is if you start caring for the opinion of other people on a metal board, you will never see the end of it.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
18.12.2010 - 20:26
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by RavenKing on 18.12.2010 at 20:22

Do you think I give a fuck if you agree or not? Your opinion, I can spare. Just read elsewhere if you're not happy.
As if genre tags matter, anyway. I draw some comparisons, that's all. It's a way to explain that it sounds weak for Thrash Metal, imo.

Hahaha, of course not. I just thought I'd raise the point after you were protesting Judas Priest were power metal.
18.12.2010 - 20:29
RavenKing
Written by Baz Anderson on 18.12.2010 at 20:26

Written by RavenKing on 18.12.2010 at 20:22

Hahaha, of course not. I just thought I'd raise the point after you were protesting Judas Priest were power metal.

I never said Judas Priest were Powermetal. I said that, imo, "Painkiller" has things in common wit PM. It was exclusive to "Painkiller".
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
19.12.2010 - 12:24
ForeverDarkWoods
They have done worse albums, but they have sure as hell done better ablums too.

Tho golden days of Overkill are long gone. Wouldn't tell someone to turn it off if they put it on (like I would with halfway nu metal Necroshine), but I sure as hell would not put it on volountarily.

Get Taking Over instead. In fact, get all albums up to and including Horrorscope. The rest of the stuff? You wouldn't lose much by pretending it doesn't exist.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
09.02.2011 - 18:58
Rating: 9
rasto
The best Overkill album.
15.02.2011 - 02:09
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
I'm getting the album just for Ironbound. Fucking awesome song.
17.02.2011 - 23:33
Rating: 6
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 19.12.2010 at 12:24

They have done worse albums, but they have sure as hell done better ablums too.

Tho golden days of Overkill are long gone. Wouldn't tell someone to turn it off if they put it on (like I would with halfway nu metal Necroshine), but I sure as hell would not put it on volountarily.

Get Taking Over instead. In fact, get all albums up to and including Horrorscope. The rest of the stuff? You wouldn't lose much by pretending it doesn't exist.

agreed 1000% Taking Over is their best work by far!
----
rekt
27.03.2011 - 21:39
John Shock
Written by tea[m]ster on 27.11.2010 at 18:34

Man, so many high votes. I just don't see it

I've listened to this all the way thru a few times now, digested it, nothing stands out. Am I missing something?

Yes fool, you're missing nothing less than perfection, the album is perfect Thrash Metal, has the perfect Work, is their best work since The years of decay and Horroscope! I still don't know why this album doesn't rate máximum 'cause it diserves it! Well, men a advice of a friend, if you don't like this, then...i don't know, hide yourself in a closet, really don't know! What i don't know is WHY SOME FOOLS GAVE LOW SCORE TO A ALBUM LIKE THIS, really don't understand! Believe me, the album is PERFECT, nothing fails! Or you don't know how to apreciate real Thrash Metal or you don't even like metal at all! Sorry for this men but someone has to said it!!!
27.03.2011 - 21:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff

I've listened to this all the way thru a few times now, digested it, nothing stands out. Am I missing something?

Despite that other guy's convincing argument, there are flaw to this album, but I wouldn't say it's bad. I'd give it a solid 8/10, and you're fine to give it a 6 if you think it sounds average.

In reality it tries to recapture their earlier material, and does so relatively well. But if you stand this up to something like Horrorscope, it's just simply not as good.

One of the better 2010 thrash albums though.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.03.2011 - 22:04
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.03.2011 at 21:49

Agreed. Though Forbidden and Sodom's new albums last year were my fave 2010 thrash releases.
27.03.2011 - 22:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 27.03.2011 at 22:04

Agreed. Though Forbidden and Sodom's new albums last year were my fave 2010 thrash releases.

I didn't enjoy Omega Wave that much, but I haven't like Forbidden since TIF. As for IWAP, that album is way too catchy. Sodom kicks ass.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.03.2011 - 22:13
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.03.2011 at 22:08
I didn't enjoy Omega Wave that much, but I haven't like Forbidden since TIF. As for IWAP, that album is way too catchy. Sodom kicks ass.

Well, I didn't like the 2 albums they did inbetween TIF and splitting up. Very unmemorable stuff on those albums imo. lol I thought "Omega Wave" was a great return to form though.

Haha yeah, Sodom being catchy? Whatever next! What I love about that album, is how it is so catchy, but still manages to retain the rawness and aggression of classic Sodom. It is immensely difficult for an extreme band to go more melodic, and still retain their edge, but Sodom managed it, and that's why IWAP is my fave thrash album of 2011.
27.03.2011 - 22:45
Rating: 8
Yasmine
Quite a good release, I enjoyed the entire thing.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
28.03.2011 - 23:41
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
Awesome album. Blitz's vocals are what really make it IMO.
09.10.2011 - 17:52
AndMetalForAll
kual21
Hehe.. What a god damn thrash-masterpiece. It just doesn't stop, pure metal in a very well structured and designed album. The best album since The Years Of Decay, just an example how alive the thrash metal scene can be. Unfortunetly not all the greats of metal can perform like this since the horrible 90's.

Amazing album, amazing performance from each member of the band.
----
greets,
kual21
03.11.2011 - 10:25
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Surely lies between the "Taking Over" and "The years of Decay" but indeed its an awesome return of Overkill and set the standard much higher for thrash again. Imo if anyone of the band ripped off from BIG 4 I think Overkill would be the best band to be in it[although Exodus equally qualified for that too..but..:|]. I eliminated the Horrorscope out of this context cause I think Ironbound is better what they actually come up with in the 1991.
23.12.2011 - 02:35
Mattybu
Overkill has always kind of been a weird band for me but the title track of this one is becoming one of my favourite songs. Fuckin' good stuff.
01.01.2012 - 09:45
John Shock

Despite that other guy's convincing argument, there are flaw to this album, but I wouldn't say it's bad. I'd give it a solid 8/10, and you're fine to give it a 6 if you think it sounds average.

In reality it tries to recapture their earlier material, and does so relatively well. But if you stand this up to something like Horrorscope, it's just simply not as good.

Yeah, sorry the yelling.. ..but i was so "defensive" or something like that, about the album that i've forgot that everyone's got their opinion! ... but still i don't get why some guys hated it so much...it's just because it's Overkill's stuff or what? ... i think that Overkill is very underrated...and i mean in everything...can you explain me that? ...
01.01.2012 - 10:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by John Shock on 01.01.2012 at 09:45
...but still i don't get why some guys hated it so much...it's just because it's Overkill's stuff or what? ... i think that Overkill is very underrated...and i mean in everything...can you explain me that? ...

I think for the most part Overkill get the appropriate amount of credit for what they've done in their career. If you feel like they're underrated then that's your belief, and I'm sure you aren't the only one who feels that way. And if that's the case where everything they do is underrated, then maybe - again - it's just a matter of differing tastes.
----
01.01.2012 - 14:39
John Shock
Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.01.2012 at 10:02

Written by John Shock on 01.01.2012 at 09:45
...but still i don't get why some guys hated it so much...it's just because it's Overkill's stuff or what? ... i think that Overkill is very underrated...and i mean in everything...can you explain me that? ...

I think for the most part Overkill get the appropriate amount of credit for what they've done in their career. If you feel like they're underrated then that's your belief, and I'm sure you aren't the only one who feels that way. And if that's the case where everything they do is underrated, then maybe - again - it's just a matter of differing tastes.

Then what you think? ...i would like to know a different oppinion...
01.01.2012 - 20:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by John Shock on 01.01.2012 at 14:39

I think for the most part Overkill get the appropriate amount of credit for what they've done in their career.

And they're one of my favorite thrash bands.
----
01.01.2012 - 22:18
John Shock
Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.01.2012 at 20:02

Written by John Shock on 01.01.2012 at 14:39

I think for the most part Overkill get the appropriate amount of credit for what they've done in their career.

And they're one of my favorite thrash bands.

You sir, i salute you Overkill rules
20.03.2012 - 20:06
raymond2349
Best thrash metal album in the last 2 years.
10.08.2013 - 11:41
Rating: 10
Himedal
Still playing retro thrash and still crushing and ruling. hell yeah \\m//
----
What goes by is life to be taken
The doom calls upon the forsaken
11.12.2013 - 13:55
diy
First listen 9.5
06.03.2014 - 16:49
moonflash
What a beast album.
----
[http://atthematinee.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/voyagedans.jpg]
14.08.2014 - 09:57
Rating: 4
Dr. Strawberry
God, forgive me...see what have I done... ? I really have no idea how could I love this album 2 years ago...
First listen 9, second listen 8, third listen 7, now fourth listen 4.
Their first 6 albums are good, that's all.
14.08.2014 - 11:36
raveneffect
The dude has to be the funniest troll I've seen in a while.

I always saw Ironbound as a pillar stone for modern Thrash that laid the recipe for Overkill to release safe but Consistent albums. I still put this at a top5 best of Overkill and a top10 of best Thrash Albums of the decade so far. Its not impressive compared to the early band classics or even any Classic Thrash-Era album, but looking at Overkill's relentless carreer, it has to draw some sort of admiration to release something this good at this stage of the game.
14.08.2014 - 13:46
Rating: 4
Dr. Strawberry
Written by raveneffect on 14.08.2014 at 11:36

The dude has to be the funniest troll I've seen in a while.

I always saw Ironbound as a pillar stone for modern Thrash that laid the recipe for Overkill to release safe but Consistent albums. I still put this at a top5 best of Overkill and a top10 of best Thrash Albums of the decade so far. Its not impressive compared to the early band classics or even any Classic Thrash-Era album, but looking at Overkill's relentless carreer, it has to draw some sort of admiration to release something this good at this stage of the game.

It's your own point of view. Anyone holds different opinion from you is considered a troll ?
You're very J.o.o.l ! Chracter almost 99% alike, twins ?
I have been listening to year of decay for almost 30 years...still that good.
14.08.2014 - 13:49
raveneffect
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 14.08.2014 at 13:46

It's your own point of view. Anyone holds different opinion from you is considered a troll ?
You're very J.o.o.l ! Chracter almost 99% alike, twins ?

I dont consider a troll someone that has a different opinion, but I cant really tell if you're trolling or being serious on more than half the posts you're making.

Hits total: 31843 | This month: 26