Metal Storm logo
Loreena Mckennitt

28.08.2006 - 20:28
Soliloquy
well, we have the likes of 'god speed you black emperor' and 'dead can dance' here..but no one made a topic on Loreena Mckennitt.

for those who dont know, she is a canadian artist who plays celtic folk music. witht eh use of a bandora/bandura, harp, and a few other string instruments, we creats awsome atmosphere to her music. some of her longer songs dont have her own lyrics, as she covers them. for example, GreenSleeves(King Henry VIII), "The Lady of Shalott" by Lord Tennyson, "Prospero's Speech", the final soliloquy in William Shakespeare's The Tempest, "Snow" by Archibald Lampman, William Blake's "Prospero, intended for a dramatic piece of King Edward the fourth" and "The Highwayman" by Alfred Noyes.

In July 2004, Governor General Adrienne Clarkson made her a member of the Order of Canada, the most prestigious civilian honour in Canada.

umm...she has released couple of albums:

Elemental (1985)
To Drive the Cold Winter Away (1987)
Parallel Dreams (1989)
The Visit (1991)
The Mask and Mirror (1994)
The Book of Secrets (1997)
Live in Paris and Toronto (1999)

with the next one to come out by the fall of this year. it should be called An Ancient Muse. and this album would have music from around istanbul and areas around.

anyways, so you guys like her? love her? find her annoying? what?
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
29.08.2006 - 00:10
Misantrophil
Account deleted
uh,She is really great my favourite songs are Coventry carol,Santiago,All souls night
07.09.2006 - 12:36
Elril
Account deleted
I'm SO looking forward to her new CD. I hope it will be as good as (or even better as) Book of Secrets.
It seems to me as if with every new CD she gets better, so hopefully this will continue through her new work.
My favourite songs are Dante's Prayer and The Mummers Dance
08.09.2006 - 17:47
Soliloquy
Written by [user id=6743] on 07.09.2006 at 12:36

I'm SO looking forward to her new CD. I hope it will be as good as (or even better as) Book of Secrets.
It seems to me as if with every new CD she gets better, so hopefully this will continue through her new work.
My favourite songs are Dante's Prayer and The Mummers Dance

oh you shouldnt have said the nameof that album! i gave that album to my friend some 8 or9 months ago. and she wouldnt dare give it back! shes in love with the album and prolly wants a child with that cd.

my favorite songs would prolly be 'the highway man' 'lady of shalot' and a few instrumentals from the book of secrets. if you are a guitarist, playing some of loreena mckennitts work impresses tons of people for some odd reason. though her work is not complicated one tiny bit. but still, fun to play
----

-Zakk Wylde
08.09.2006 - 19:45
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I remember when she was really big here in the mid-late 90s...her music was pretty interesting..it was like...ambience and celtic folk rock...I liked what I heard but I can't see listening to it personally a lot but it's still good stuff...
09.09.2006 - 21:13
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
The first time I heard her music was 1 and half month ago, and I really liked the atmosphere of it, and besides, I think that every artist that makes music based in mythology, or ancient cultures in always interesting, no matter if the artist plays metal, folk music, new age, etc

I discovered her with the album "The Visit", I haven't heard all the songs, but the ones I know are excellent
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
09.09.2006 - 21:31
Soliloquy
Written by The Alchemist on 09.09.2006 at 21:13

The first time I heard her music was 1 and half month ago, and I really liked the atmosphere of it, and besides, I think that every artist that makes music based in mythology, or ancient cultures in always interesting, no matter if the artist plays metal, folk music, new age, etc

I discovered her with the album "The Visit", I haven't heard all the songs, but the ones I know are excellent

do yourself a favor and pick up her album 'book of secrets'
----

-Zakk Wylde
15.10.2006 - 00:16
Unholy_Emperor
Well she is the most commercial side of Folk music, I assure you, there are so many bands greater than this in folk...
16.10.2006 - 23:31
Soliloquy
Written by Unholy_Emperor on 15.10.2006 at 00:16

Well she is the most commercial side of Folk music, I assure you, there are so many bands greater than this in folk...

yeah, but she isnt a band. for the most part, she does most of her music, and writes most of her lyrics...

and shes the 'most commerical'? i wont agree with that. she may have been big with her song 'the murmers dance' or whatever it was called, yet she still didnt get any paticular fame. atleast not in canada and america(as far as i'm concerend). maybe spain has a different story on it?
----

-Zakk Wylde
16.10.2006 - 23:52
Unholy_Emperor
Well folk isn't commercial music, so is quite imposible to become really famous with that music but she is surely the most famous of that style with Enya.

But as usual when your interest in this genre improves, you realize there are so many bands or singers better that she, for example: Shirley and Dolly Collins, The Chieftains, Pentangle or Andy Irvine.
11.07.2007 - 00:01
Cassandra
Account deleted
she is a great writer, and has an amazing voice.
12.07.2007 - 19:34
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Ive heard about her a lot but I really only listened to one song but it was good. I liked the feeling I got from it.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
13.07.2007 - 17:13
Aylee_Bodom
¬¬
I love Loreena Mckennitt...her music makes me feel peaceful. My favourite songs are probably The Highway Man, Santiago, Marco Polo, The Mystic's Dream, The Mummers' Dance and The Lady Of Shalott.
----
*All Blood Runs The Same*
14.07.2007 - 23:09
APOHAKC
The Bard
I adore this women. Such fantastic voice, yeah, she rules.

Firstly I got some best of compilation and sogs like Marco Polo, Blacksmith, The Last Unicorn took y attention for some time. After that I bought two albums and beside great music I found inspiration for most of mine drawings

Anyway, Marrakesh Night Market is still my favorite song
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
18.08.2007 - 02:39
Etaín
I think in a way i grew up with her music. I remember sunday mornings, waking up and listening my dad playing her cd's. Never payed much attention, but i always liked it. Its only since last year that i really started getting more into her music. The new album is amazing, and i still listen to it a lot. Favorite song is definitely 'Beneath a Phrygian Sky' .. so beautiful. Her vocals are so enchanting, and the music .. it just makes you dream away
29.08.2007 - 16:23
APOHAKC
The Bard
Glad to see more Lorena's fans, I am little scared though, most of her fans are females
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
20.09.2007 - 03:56
animal
Only song I've reeally heard from her is that one they had on Highlander.
----
"I got 1,000 years of power! Come and get me!" Robert McLain- Royal Oak, MI
20.09.2007 - 05:34
April.Ethereal87
Account deleted
Ahh.. I love Lorena's stuff.
06.10.2007 - 01:10
Varegan
Hamranakara
"tango to evora" and "Santiago" are two unforgettable songs in my mind. sometimes i sing this songs in bathroom
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
30.12.2007 - 01:12
Harmonic
Account deleted
I think Loreena's work is fantastic but my wife hates it, so I don't own any of her albums. Funny thing, my wife likes Enya though...
08.05.2008 - 18:00
buki of steel
Crystal Ann
I think that an anicent muse is a masterpice... quite good artist/musician with beautiful voice
25.03.2010 - 13:02
Alphafemale
She is sooo good, love her music
----
'Proud forest rises towards the sky,
in awe I stand silent
Green path of life amalgamates
With my own belief'
06.04.2010 - 23:04
caimanjosh
She's excellent...extremely listenable voice, good songwriting, nice instrumental work...one of the best in the folk genre. I'd put her right up there with Blackmore's Night. The 2 bands actually sound rather similar, if you haven't heard both.