Metal Storm logo
Voting Abuse, MS, and YOU!

Written by: BitterCOld
Published: December 06, 2014

So you want to be a Stormtrooper and check peoples darkest habits in an effort to report Votecriminals to your local Moderator. Here are some thoughts on the scoring system and tips on tracking down Votecriminals.

Listen up, maggots. I've been doing this far longer than you, and to much greater extent than you can imagine. I've nuked tens of thousands of votes, banned hundreds upon hundreds of multis, and have been keyboard smashed at in response with curse words, strings of cursewords I didn't think possible for my efforts - and I am, and curse like, the proverbial drunken sailor. I wasn't given the title Duke Nukem for nothing.

I'm going to lead with the biggies.

I DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT YOUR INTERNAL VALUE SYSTEM.

Metal Storm has a set ranking system. A nice, easy ten digit scale.

1 is Lulu. 6 is average. 7 is good. 9 is excellent. 10 is Om, etc.

Thus scoring an album a 7 is not insulting. It's a compliment, believe it or not. No shit. I've lost track of the number of posters here who have been insulted when a reviewer scores an album in the low to mid 7's.

"It's an insult to the artist!" they cry. Usually this repeated and the reviewer's objectivity called into question when they try to explain the score, as if the review itself doesn't reveal some of this.

I reviewed a release for Project Pain, a Dutch thrash band. Scored it in the lower 7's. The same score that has spawned rantings about disrespecting musicians. How'd Guido respond? He facebook friended me and we've stayed in contact since. We aren't best buds, golfing every Saturday, but if I were ever in his neck of the woods, or he in my corner of the jungle, you can bet we'd meet up for some chorizo y cerveza.

No shit.

No need to get worked up about "low scores".

Most albums should fall in to the 6-7 range, leaning towards 7 given predilection of people to primarily listen to music within their interests. I.E. my average vote is a tad higher because I primarily listen to black, doom, and sludge and try to avoid power.

The problem is we have endemic grade inflation here.

When somewhat better than "good" is "insulting" it means we have a slew of users who you could blindfold, turn loose in a metal record store for 30 minutes, and everything they grab would be an 8+.

As a result, when the failures who love albums to the point their feelings are hurt if they aren't number 1 on our "Top 20 of 20XX" chart, go nutso, hurling more 10's than the Dude, Walter, and Donny on any given night at the bowling alley.

We have people who rate albums higher than they think they should be because it's score isn't to their liking as other people didn't enjoy it as much and vote it lower.

We have the Sandbag Brigade, not only scoring their favorite albums 10's, but also blowing up other albums left and right with 1's to sink those album ratings.

Even worse than all of these people are the multis, who create 17 different accounts and pretty much vote identically with each of them. These people also think they are clever by spreading the mutli-account countries around, so they show USA, Germany, Costa Rica, Belgian Congo, and Strongbadia.

Protip: an ip check reveals all. We gonna find you. We gonna find you. So you can run and tell that, homeboy home home homeboy. ? So dumb so dumb so dumb.

So in the end, I'm not even sure why anyone really cares about MS scores as a collective whole. It's all a sea of inflaters, multis, sandbaggers, etc. People complain about reviewers scoring albums - at least they take the time to pound out 300 words or so on why an album is good/bad/ok? Rating is the ultimate of lazy, just click a box.

What I've learned is to never trust any album score (having been burned on mediocre albums that 32 people said was a 10 when a 7 was generous), just find people with tastes similar to your own if you want an assessment. There are probably only 15 people still active on MS that I truly trust for ratings. That's about it. This is the result of common tastes, conversations, and mutual appreciations giving me a fairly good idea that if they think highly of something, odds are it's worth the time.

Random user saying "this is the best/worst album ever" doesn't mean shit.

So I've ranted. There is no spoon. The cake is a lie. And ratings are just pixels.

If, after that diatribe, you are still interested in hunting down Votecriminals, here's my thoughts on how to find them (and not waste my time):

1 - Superfan!

It's not vote abuse to cast a shit ton of 8's, 9's, 10's - particularly if they form a curve which sees more 9's than 8's and 10's combined. It just means dude is an inflater who overrates everything by a point.

Top heavy voting is abuse when a voter checks the 10 for each and every album a band with a decent to prolific output has released. If they think all three Ahab albums are 10's, not a big deal. It's feasible. However if they click everything Iron Maiden ever released a 10, including the flexdisk cover of "This Is The Song That Never Ends" that was released in limited run of 250 units embedded in the Bulova Watch Catalog, Fall 1997, that's abuse.

I use 2-3 bands as a basis for abuse. If three bands, each with more than a fistful (five) releases are straight 10's, big flashing FANBOI VOTECRIMINAL lights go off.
If he tosses a bunch of votes, but each artist has a split of 10's, 9's and some 8's, not an issue.

2 - Superhater!

The same as the above, only with straight 1's. If you really hated that Bullet For My Alexandria album so much you'd rather spend a 16 hour plane flight listening to Supercollider on endless loop than endure one more track of your torment, why in the fuck would you subject yourself to the rest of their discography?

I don't like Manocheese? I listened to one of their "best" albums. Wasn't impressed. Do you think I've gone anywhere near there 85,305 live albums or that single with the same song in 17 languages including smoke signals and braille?

Fuck.

No.

So the Superhaters are clearly abusers. And I derive extra joy (stiff nipples) from nuking these people as 90% of the time they just target the bands it's cool to mock.

3 - The Chartbuster

These are easy to find simply sorting votes by year rather than band. A couple albums with 10's, and scrolling down you see a slew of 1's handed out to other quality releases from the same year in an attempt to sandbag their ratings for that silly little chart.

There are also people who do this for the Top 200 of All Time chart. Easy to spot. The Megadouche fans that rate Master Of Puppets a 1. Sorry, it's a quality album that even if you don't like or want to deride for "playing it safe" and following the formula of "RTL", it's still quality musicians playing quality songs with quality production. I don't see how a sane person could score it below "Average". (This pretty much applies to any other album on the Top 200. They are there for a reason.)

These are also clear cut abusers.

Those are the big three. If you want to lace up your jackboots, grab your digital truncheons and dole out "street justice", that's what you should be looking for. Don't send me some poor bastard who visited the site once and clicked scores for 4 albums? unless you see that seven other accounts were created the same day with similar scores. Then send me 1 or 2 of 'em to check the IP. Don't need 'em all.

Finally - if you are going to be trying to turn in your neighbors as Votecriminals, might want to check your own voting patterns for the above. Pretty funny when someone pm's me whining about a dude dropping a few deuces on a couple releases when the informant is sporting 400+ votes and a 9.75 average.

Thanks and happy hunting.

Written on 06.12.2014 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 75   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 535 users
08.12.2014 - 23:23
Erik M.
Yeah, great article. Totally agreed with everything.

I like the rating system a lot, but I do think the description of "10 - Perfect" should be "10 - Masterpiece" or "10 - Brilliant". Even subjectively there's no such thing as a perfect album since there's always a minor flaw to be found. However, an album can easily be a masterpiece/brilliant and still be somewhat flawed because those words don't imply "flawlessness", whereas the word "perfect" does.

Oh, and for the record, I think anyone with a 9+ average score is suspicious, let alone 9.5+ average ratings. There's a certain (in)famous user here with thousands of votes and still has such an extremely high average rating. That sort of thing is truly baffling to me and I would say it's vote abuse.

Written by Hallford9000 on 07.12.2014 at 17:30

Wonderful article, I even changed ALL my votes so that it's now more realistic. Nice step for a better community and more objective votes.

Yeah, it's been a while since I revisited my votes. I always feel I give too high ratings so once in a while I downgrade a lot of stuff. The problem is that it takes so damn long.
09.12.2014 - 10:04
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Please don't nuke me ! But somehow I can't see how your system of detecting abusers works. it's a bit confusing. You know there are some elitist users *points at some people in the corner* whose rating system stuck around 5,6,7 they rarely rate an album more than 7, even the albums that a considerable number of users think that it's fine and it deserves more than 6 or 5. I know it has to do with their tastes and their disorder of being an elite but still how someone easily rates an album 4 or 5 or even 3 and another one with 5, 6 or 7 when the album certainly deserves more ? Sometimes I'm pissed off when elitists do such. IS it cool to rate anything low ?!

Edit : On the other hand, there are users who only vote for their fav bands and albums and they don't bother to rate albums by the bands which they're not that interested in, so simply their average rating can be more than 9. Then again according to your system of detecting the abusers, they will be nuked ?!
----
The Fangirl.
09.12.2014 - 11:46
erat
Duke Nuke 'em!
----
Sick liaisons raised this monumental mark,
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park!
09.12.2014 - 22:49
MetalDoomMaster
Written by Erik M. on 08.12.2014 at 23:23

The problem is that it takes so damn long.

Yes. I've been hoping for a "lower every album rating by 1" button in the profile ratings section for a while now. Although I am guilty of usually only rating things that I actually like
10.12.2014 - 01:09
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by qlacs on 07.12.2014 at 23:03

Nice one. Although I fear this might only give some hints of ppl doing this more secure (proxy, multiple hotspots etc).

Oops.

This is true, but we can still find them as long as their System32 is intact. We extract the EXIF metadata from each of their votes and can see the GPS coordinates.

11.12.2014 - 09:57
ke ke
I used to be a chartbuster,but this article changed my mind and I changed my votes.but when I look at the result...fuck...I'm a superfan now!
10 37 votes
9 92 votes
8 146 votes
7 56 votes
6 24 votes
5 7 votes
4 3 votes
3 1 vote
2 2 votes
1 2 votes
11.12.2014 - 13:57
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by angel. on 09.12.2014 at 10:04

Please don't nuke me ! But somehow I can't see how your system of detecting abusers works. it's a bit confusing. You know there are some elitist users *points at some people in the corner* whose rating system stuck around 5,6,7 they rarely rate an album more than 7, even the albums that a considerable number of users think that it's fine and it deserves more than 6 or 5. I know it has to do with their tastes and their disorder of being an elite but still how someone easily rates an album 4 or 5 or even 3 and another one with 5, 6 or 7 when the album certainly deserves more ? Sometimes I'm pissed off when elitists do such. IS it cool to rate anything low ?!

Edit : On the other hand, there are users who only vote for their fav bands and albums and they don't bother to rate albums by the bands which they're not that interested in, so simply their average rating can be more than 9. Then again according to your system of detecting the abusers, they will be nuked ?!

The 5-6-7 bit is FINE by me. Hell, it's great. Most albums should be 6 or 7 anyways, leaning higher if solely limiting yourself to genres you like and with any degree of "due diligence" in what albums you are going to spend your listening time on. At least with them if they rate something an 8, you know it is likely worth checking out.

Better that than your following "only rate favorite bands and only rate 9's & 10's" example as bands NEVER make a sub-par album that is merely very good, ever!

"Deserves more" is simply your opinion.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
11.12.2014 - 14:37
Dinruth
Great article! I guess I am too sometimes subject to overrate things
12.12.2014 - 08:52
andreosokin
SOUNDERY
Nnnice! I'm in, dude!
12.12.2014 - 11:23
Dr. Strawberry
Suddently all those members who have criticized my list " The Best Of The Worst Metal Albums " before started realizing I didn't do anything wrong.

I gave Metallica - Master of Puppets a 5 because it's just not that good in my opinion..., no worries it's not pure shit.
12.12.2014 - 12:01
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.12.2014 at 11:23

Suddently all those members who have criticized my list " The Best Of The Worst Metal Albums " before started realizing I didn't do anything wrong.

I gave Metallica - Master of Puppets a 5 because it's just not that good in my opinion..., no worries it's not pure shit.

Nobody accused you of being a vote abuser, but I do remember people throwing some other names at you. Tons of users give low ratings to classics here, stop thinking you're unique and that we actually magically thought about you when we read this article.
12.12.2014 - 16:19
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by deadone on 12.12.2014 at 16:13

Well nice knowing you folk cause I am gonna get banned for my voting patterns (most things get a 5-6 and no 10s)...at least it'll shut down my right wing tirades eh?

I don't see why your votes would call for any punishment. Did you read what Craig wrote?
12.12.2014 - 16:33
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by deadone on 12.12.2014 at 16:27

I gave virtually every Amon Amarth, Scar Symmetry and Death album a 5 and every Benediction album a 6. Reeks of subtle hating. And yes I have subjected myself to all of them - in hindsight some Benediction is a 5 but they're so interchangeable I can't remember which one. And Agalloch did get superhater votes - I don't just dislike the band but hate them as a concept. Anyhow it all looks a bit dodgy...

If those fives were 1s there would be feeble grounds for deleting votes, but 5s are completely okay in my opinion. Thinking an album is average isn't rating abuse really, you have the right to hate en entire discog, as long as you actually listened to them (not really easy to tell, but hey) and put a little variety in there. I see a 9 and 6s for AA.
12.12.2014 - 18:49
Fearmeister
Account deleted
I gave numbers to albums, does that mean I'll get banned?
12.12.2014 - 18:56
Ilham
Giant robot
Haha ^. What do you want, everyone thinks they're special.
12.12.2014 - 19:45
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
That's the way it works now. everyone is special and gets a trophy just for showing up.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.12.2014 - 11:44
Dr. Strawberry
Written by Ilham on 12.12.2014 at 12:01

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.12.2014 at 11:23

Nobody accused you of being a vote abuser, but I do remember people throwing some other names at you. Tons of users give low ratings to classics here, stop thinking you're unique and that we actually magically thought about you when we read this article.

Some people knew who were I refering right away ...
Yeah...those bad names hurted me so much
15.12.2014 - 17:26
Lethrokai
I didn't mind Lulu, so I'm not sure if your voting system applies to me...
But yeah, nice article. Sometimes I feel like vote abusing can really show your maturity on this site...
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
21.12.2014 - 19:49
Panterica
Can't say I really care for the subject, nevertheless it was an enjoyable piece of writing.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
22.12.2014 - 17:15
JD
Account deleted
Lulu is 5

Om is 8

Problem ?
22.12.2014 - 17:21
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by [user id=28526] on 22.12.2014 at 17:15

Lulu is 5

Om is 8

Problem ?

yes. permaban.

(no, I don't think Lulu that horrid either, but site-wise it's recognized as one of the worst things ever recorded. so ran with the joke.)
----

23.12.2014 - 12:40
Timmeh
Dudeman

I know sites like RYM and (maybe also) IMdB have some special mathematics to reduce the effect of vote abusers. I'm fairly sure that MS scores work off a straight up average ie. tally up all the scores then divide by the no. scores.

But as you've humorously illuminated, here on MS, 10's and 1's, for various reasons, often come to the forefront of the mind of the impassioned. If there was a system that could be put into place that discriminates scores, ie. places less weight on scores of 10's and 1's than 6's and 7's it could improve things. Should get onto Ivan about it.

Also its interesting to note that on RYM's 5 point scale the very top albums are rated ~4.3 which is equivalent to an 8.6 on our scale, significantly less than the 9.2 top here. Possible reasons why, RYM has mathematical counter measures, psychological - MS has more numbers in the vote set and as someone else mentioned colour use here may effect things and finally, as you pointed out, gradual vote inflation (ie. voter thinking - oh well if 'Countdown to Extinction' has a rating of 8.6, then 'Rust In Peace' must be over 9000).
24.12.2014 - 22:29
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Timmeh on 23.12.2014 at 12:40

DBZ reference

----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

25.12.2014 - 20:46
Aristarchos
Quote:
There are also people who do this for the Top 200 of All Time chart. Easy to spot. The Megadouche fans that rate Master Of Puppets a 1. Sorry, it's a quality album that even if you don't like or want to deride for "playing it safe" and following the formula of "RTL", it's still quality musicians playing quality songs with quality production. I don't see how a sane person could score it below "Average". (This pretty much applies to any other album on the Top 200. They are there for a reason.)

Just because an album shows up on top 200, it shouldn't necessary be liked by everyone. A rating should be 100% subjective. I hate a lot of the albums in the top (although I like MOP), and I would never rate them high just because they are considered good by the majority. There are also a lot of albums with bad ratings that I love. Everbody has different opinions, and no one is more correct than anyone other.
26.12.2014 - 02:01
Uldreth
I actually don't know how to report vote abusers (aside from spamming Craig manually), most sites have a "report"/"flag" etc. button, and if MS has one, I have yet to find it, however http://metalstorm.net/users/mr.grimm/profile this user seems like a vote abuser candidate to me, because, imo, when one has nearly ten times as much "2" votes as the second highest (which is 9), then fuck subjectivity.
Plus 2-ing the entire SikTh discography, as well as Agalloch, Anal Cunt (I dislike the band, but he either didn't listen to ALL that shit, or he is a superhater for subjecting himself to everything they did for all those "2"s) and BtBaM and many others, is a crime against humanity.
26.12.2014 - 02:14
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Uldreth on 26.12.2014 at 02:01

Plus 2-ing the entire SikTh discography, as well as Agalloch, Anal Cunt (I dislike the band, but he either didn't listen to ALL that shit, or he is a superhater for subjecting himself to everything they did for all those "2"s) and BtBaM and many others, is a crime against humanity.

Yeah, this totally gives it out. I could understand if he listened to one album and voted 2, but as you said, he didn't listen to the entire disco if he hates it that much.

Btw I too don't know where to report, but I guess this thread would be a good candidate rather than posting as a comment on this article
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
26.12.2014 - 02:19
Uldreth
Written by Karlabos on 26.12.2014 at 02:14

Written by Uldreth on 26.12.2014 at 02:01

Yeah, this totally gives it out. I could understand if he listened to one album and voted 2, but as you said, he didn't listen to the entire disco if he hates it that much.

Btw I too don't know where to report, but I guess this thread would be a good candidate rather than posting as a comment on this article

Thank you. Posted it there as well, I'll leave the rest to the mods.
26.12.2014 - 03:03
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Yes, the other thread is the proper place to report ratings abusers. I've dealt with the guy and replied in that other thread.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

29.12.2014 - 22:36
Opethian
I rate by how i feel about the album. Plain and simple :/
29.12.2014 - 23:32
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Opethian on 29.12.2014 at 22:36

I rate by how i feel about the album. Plain and simple :/

You're rating habits look pretty legit.