Metal Storm logo
Susperia

12.03.2007 - 21:33
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Any thoughts on this Norwegian band formed in part by former Dimmu Borgir drummer Tjodalv? Their new album, "Cut From Stone," is due out in a couple of weeks. I'm just getting my first few listens on it now, and it seems like a continuation of the direction they started on "Unlimited," which was one of my favorite releases of 2004.

In case any one is unfamiliar with the band, they started off as much more rooted in melodic black metal on their first disc, with only a slight hint of thrash coming into play, but with their 3rd and 4th release now, they are more on the thrash side than anything else in my opinion. There is some great vocal work here by Athera, and the guitarwork is endlessly catchy. In my opinion they may not necessarily bring pure originality to the metal scene, but it's their mastery of mixing past and present metal influences together that makes them a great band. What do you think?
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
12.03.2007 - 22:40
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I have one of their albums....I think Unlimited...it's the one with the freaky eyes on the cover. Anyways, I think these guys are pretty good, but I definitely prefer their thrash stuff over their older music. I describe them as Disturbed mixed with Metallica, but somehow in a good way lol.
13.03.2007 - 03:44
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Dangerboner on 12.03.2007 at 22:40

I have one of their albums....I think Unlimited...it's the one with the freaky eyes on the cover. Anyways, I think these guys are pretty good, but I definitely prefer their thrash stuff over their older music. I describe them as Disturbed mixed with Metallica, but somehow in a good way lol.

Lol, well, I don't know if I'd use the same descriptions for bands, but... they certainly have their influence on "Unlimited," that being Testament. Though, in typical fashion for me, I prefer the second generation of the two, as even after all this time, I've never got much into Testament. There is something else they have that wasn't there before.

Of course, their earlier work was much different, even the vocals, so the influence doesn't apply much to their older work. It's unusual for a band to start taking influence later in their career, but I am certainly not complaining. I really enjoy the Predominance release, as I find the combination of black and thrash to be a combination more bands should use - or at least, more bands should do as well as it came out on Predominance.

The new CD, hmm, seems like it's got more melodic balladesque song structures on it than ever before. Still making my judgements on it.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
13.03.2007 - 14:16
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Written by Jason W. on 13.03.2007 at 03:44

The new CD, hmm, seems like it's got more melodic balladesque song structures on it than ever before. Still making my judgements on it.

+1

I have just listened the new album "Cut From Stone" It's more melodic. For me it's sound powerfull and realy good. I realy love it at the first listening.
13.03.2007 - 18:48
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by White Winter Sun on 13.03.2007 at 14:16

+1

I have just listened the new album "Cut From Stone" It's more melodic. For me it's sound powerfull and realy good. I realy love it at the first listening.

Yes, a good portion of the songs are some thrashy melodic metal that has taken me a few times to get into - mainly because I wasn't expecting it, I guess! "Under" is a great song It's the first Susperia CD that allows the listener to relax a bit - some the lyrics are more personal and even pensive I'd say. I'm enjoying more with each listen, just in a different way than what I was expecting
----
14.03.2007 - 00:28
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Written by Jason W. on 13.03.2007 at 18:48

......I'm enjoying more with each listen, just in a different way than what I was expecting

It's the same for me. And it is not to make my follower

I love the track five "Release" with a sort of groovy near 1'15'' and turn in the final in more agressive music. A realy good song for me.

And just after this track "Life Deprived" " Between the Lines" and "Bound to Come" continuing with this agressivity. And just after this "Under", probably one of the best song on this new album, alternation of emotion, of atmosphere and singing, and of course power of the music. In brief a good resume of "Cut From Stone" album IMO
16.03.2007 - 19:52
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by White Winter Sun on 14.03.2007 at 00:28

Written by Jason W. on 13.03.2007 at 18:48

......I'm enjoying more with each listen, just in a different way than what I was expecting

It's the same for me. And it is not to make my follower

I love the track five "Release" with a sort of groovy near 1'15'' and turn in the final in more agressive music. A realy good song for me.

And just after this track "Life Deprived" " Between the Lines" and "Bound to Come" continuing with this agressivity. And just after this "Under", probably one of the best song on this new album, alternation of emotion, of atmosphere and singing, and of course power of the music. In brief a good resume of "Cut From Stone" album IMO

Wow, really, you are hearing this album exactly the way I am! Sometimes I feel out of place with a lot of metalheads when I start talking about exact parts of songs I love, but hell I was just listening to the track "Release" this morning and it's right at that point, the 1:15 mark, that I said to myself, "Man, it's been awhile since some thrash metal has hit me this way!" Aggressive thrash with real emotion and passion in it, could it be?

After my disgust with last year's thrash releases, this CD has made me stop from giving up.
----
18.03.2007 - 03:00
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
I just recently started listening to this band and am so glad I did. I had heard samples of their music and finally picked up "Unlimited" and now am listening to some of the new album. Great stuff.. refreshing and intense; their music grooves in all the right places.

This is one of the few thrash bands that I really get in to; if this is a sign of what's happening currently with thrash then I'll definitely give the genre another try
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
18.03.2007 - 14:00
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Written by Jason W. on 16.03.2007 at 19:52

Wow, really, you are hearing this album exactly the way I am! Sometimes I feel out of place with a lot of metalheads when I start talking about exact parts of songs I love, but hell I was just listening to the track "Release" this morning and it's right at that point, the 1:15 mark, that I said to myself, "Man, it's been awhile since some thrash metal has hit me this way!" Aggressive thrash with real emotion and passion in it, could it be?

After my disgust with last year's thrash releases, this CD has made me stop from giving up.

IMO, a sure thing, music with emotion and passion in it, can only get the listener. Make a different music distancing itself from the common stuff, has to only harvest some respect, besides, when this work is of a high quality like this "Cut From Stone".

Written by Susan on 18.03.2007 at 03:00

I just recently started listening to this band and am so glad I did. I had heard samples of their music and finally picked up "Unlimited" and now am listening to some of the new album. Great stuff.. refreshing and intense; their music grooves in all the right places.

This is one of the few thrash bands that I really get in to; if this is a sign of what's happening currently with thrash then I'll definitely give the genre another try

Unlimited is a fucking great album too. Intro like "Chemistry" with melody and a powerfull side resume Susperia. The video clip from this track is realy good too. Title like "Home Sweet Hell" melody and groove in extreme music : a real pleasure for ears. This track groove and the title is too a good resume of the Susperia's music
"Sweet" for melody and emotions and "Hell" for the agressivity and powerfull side.
31.03.2007 - 00:58
Aebsi
Well I can't refuse to the fact that I agree with everything that has been said before me.
I haven't been able to stop listening to this band since I heard their music for the first time, it's just a pure orgasmic musical experience hehe ok if it's not alright to say what's coming next I'm sorry.....it's like they're having sex with your ears and you're loving every fucking minute of it :drooling: their songs are so catchy and put so beautifully together you can't get enough of them and the fact that you aren't expecting much from them (when listening for the first time) their music smacks you in the face, I was just stunned and before I knew what was going on I was just well I haven't heard much from the new album but I sure can't wait for the release
----
Just be Yourself
04.04.2007 - 00:44
Remus
A long time ago i decided to check this band out so i downloaded two songs from thier website.
"Anguished Scream(for vengence)" freaking blew me away with the awesemo drumming. Then i downloaded "Home Sweet Hell" and i found it rather crappy.
Then i thought "Anguished Scream" - Aweseome - 2002
"Home Sweet Hell" - Crap - 2004.
So i thought that they were like on a downward spiral or something. But after the good comments i read above i'll actually try to get some full albums and decide on Susperia.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
04.04.2007 - 02:13
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Remus on 04.04.2007 at 00:44

A long time ago i decided to check this band out so i downloaded two songs from thier website.
"Anguished Scream(for vengence)" freaking blew me away with the awesemo drumming. Then i downloaded "Home Sweet Hell" and i found it rather crappy.
Then i thought "Anguished Scream" - Aweseome - 2002
"Home Sweet Hell" - Crap - 2004.
So i thought that they were like on a downward spiral or something. But after the good comments i read above i'll actually try to get some full albums and decide on Susperia.

Well the band did a major shift in sound in 2004's Unlimited. So, if you like what you heard from Vindication from 2002, you may prefer their black metal sound. "Predominance" also has a black metal sound with thrash elements to it (personally I prefer this release over "Vindication"). I assure you there are not on a downward spiral - they just changed their sound dramatically for the "Unlimited" release.

I like both of their styles, and just all their material in general. But I can understand if you don't like the change in style - not everything a band does works for all the fans unfortunately
----
04.04.2007 - 11:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I know them, but only first album, its only what I hed hear in past, long ago, I hawe no it, but when I wa slistening it I like, it was lil diferent from musis what i lsitening in those days, it was lil ppening into my metal journy, if now I hera album, Im not shore if i like it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.04.2007 - 07:30
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Bad English on 04.04.2007 at 11:16

I know them, but only first album, its only what I hed hear in past, long ago, I hawe no it, but when I wa slistening it I like, it was lil diferent from musis what i lsitening in those days, it was lil ppening into my metal journy, if now I hera album, Im not shore if i like it

Well, for the new stuff, I'd say you'll have to listen to it, as it's different than what they started out with. It's pure thrash now. They have 2 short samples of the songs "More" and "The Clone" if I recall on their official http://www.susperia.net/home.htm, as well as a few songs from their 2004 CD and EP on their myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/susperiafans.

I'd site Susperia as one of my favorite bands in the past 5 years, so I'm a bit biased, but they have released 4 quality CDs over that time, and have yet to disappoint me. There are few bands that can say that for me.

Now if only they would set a USA release date for "Cut From Stone"... !
----
16.04.2007 - 12:59
Aebsi
It's like they're starting where Testament stopped and evolving their sound to this awesome Susperia thrash sound, finally some serious diversity in thrash scene.....ok i must admit it i have'nt bought an album....yet....so where is it possible for me to buy their stuff......guess I'll have to plan a trip to Norway to buy some cds hehe man I'd love if those Scandinavian bands would once just once put Iceland in one of their tours
----
Just be Yourself
23.04.2007 - 07:56
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by [user id=3160] on 17.04.2007 at 07:52

Damn thier new album sucks totally downloaded it earlier today and it is just so average. Nothing out of the whole album stands out at all.

Well, I guess they can't please everyone Do you prefer their older work, like "Predominance"? Or, do you like any of their thrash sound at all on their "Unlimited" CD?
----
23.04.2007 - 23:09
Infurnace
"Unlimited" is a really good album. I still listen to it very often, perhaps every day. Susperia is a great band IMO. They combine some Thrash elements with a little touch of Black. That's how I would describe Susperia. "Cut From Stone" is really great too. It sounds like modern Thrash Metal, with very few Black elements still there.
21.05.2007 - 09:12
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Well it looks like Susperia's new CD will get a Candlelight release in the US market for June 19! It'll be nice finally pick up the album - it feels like it's been too long since I first started listening to it! And of course, I'm still anxious to see them on tour in September
----
22.02.2008 - 23:32
NOИ
this band reminds me Metallica in a more thrashy and black (melodic black) way. I loved them for their first ones, the last album disappointed me and I dont know why, maybe they didnt add anything new to their music, same old style. anyways, I'm still a fan!
23.02.2008 - 15:17
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Written by NOИ on 22.02.2008 at 23:32

this band reminds me Metallica in a more thrashy and black (melodic black) way. I loved them for their first ones, the last album disappointed me and I dont know why, maybe they didnt add anything new to their music, same old style. anyways, I'm still a fan!

Susperia is not playing Black Metal anymore since their third release, they went for a Thrash Metal sound. But I disagree with you when you find that their last release "Cut From Stone" bring nothing or do not evolve. "Cut From Stone" contains more melodic song structures than ever before. This catchy side is really present on it. Also you can find some "groovy moments" like on the song 'Release' and of course more alternation of emotions and atmospheres compared to the previous albums.
23.02.2008 - 16:27
FOOCK Nam
I own the Predominace, love their thrashy riff, I heard many complaint that their new stuff since 2004 are more melodic....
25.02.2008 - 07:56
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by FOOCK Nam on 23.02.2008 at 16:27

I own the Predominace, love their thrashy riff, I heard many complaint that their new stuff since 2004 are more melodic....

Yes, they definitely are more melodic - but really they always have had lots of melody in their music The only ones who are complaining are those that aren't interested in the band's evolution. However, there are so few bands that evolve over their releases with such confidence, and I find that in itself very respectable. I love "Predominance" as much as I love "Cut From Stone." They are certainly different releases and I listen to them in different moods, but it's that quality that shows an artful intelligence in my opinion.
----
25.02.2008 - 16:23
NOИ
Written by White Winter Sun on 23.02.2008 at 15:17

Written by NOИ on 22.02.2008 at 23:32

Susperia is not playing Black Metal anymore since their third release, they went for a Thrash Metal sound. But I disagree with you when you find that their last release "Cut From Stone" bring nothing or do not evolve. "Cut From Stone" contains more melodic song structures than ever before. This catchy side is really present on it. Also you can find some "groovy moments" like on the song 'Release' and of course more alternation of emotions and atmospheres compared to the previous albums.

yes they are more thrash metal, and the new album wasn't shit completely, I just like the first ones more.
25.02.2008 - 16:56
FOOCK Nam
Agree with dismaleuphony, we must objectively judge toward the band's evolution. Im totally interested with a diverse music element like Susperia. They are so underrated
03.07.2008 - 18:31
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Band Update: New Album On The Way

Norwegian metallers Susperia have issued the following update a couple of weeks ago:

"Time to break the silence. It's been a long time since we gave you an update on what'shappening in the Susperia camp. You may think we've been sitting around doing nothing, but we actually got our asses into gear and have been working hard writing and doing pre-production work for the next album. We have about ten songs on the go and everything is going well. Our creative juices are flowing......... at this moment we're in hard, fast and melodic mode, Athera is in free flow with the lyrics. It's still early days, so we can't give you a full idea of what to expect, who knows what's coming!! We'll keep you updated."

Source: here.
27.05.2009 - 21:49
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Anyone else heard the new Susperia album? I just received it this week, and unfortunately for me at least, I am disappointed. The band has streamlined their sound here, opting to take out exactly what I loved so much on "Cut From Stone." The disc is easy to listen to enough, no bad tracks, just nothing special for me this time around. The production also is also a notch down to me as well. The sound was so huge on "Cut From Stone," whereas this time around it is clean, but missing the punch and force... and the bass is too quiet.

The last two tracks somewhat peak my interest, and the lyrics overall are inspiring again, but still a letdown...
----
29.05.2009 - 17:54
Søren
Lord of the Mosh
Elite
Written by Jason W. on 27.05.2009 at 21:49

Anyone else heard the new Susperia album? I just received it this week, and unfortunately for me at least, I am disappointed. The band has streamlined their sound here, opting to take out exactly what I loved so much on "Cut From Stone." The disc is easy to listen to enough, no bad tracks, just nothing special for me this time around. The production also is also a notch down to me as well. The sound was so huge on "Cut From Stone," whereas this time around it is clean, but missing the punch and force... and the bass is too quiet.

The last two tracks somewhat peak my interest, and the lyrics overall are inspiring again, but still a letdown...

Interestingly enough, I feel the exact opposite about it. I find Attitude to be a huge improvement over Cut From Stone, which I find to be their weakest, shallowest, least impressive album to date.

As for all the other posts ... when was Susperia ever black metal? How about .... NEVER! Just because some of the members were associated with DB and OMC doesn't make Susperia black metal. In fact, they made it a point to say from the beginning that they were not a black metal band, would never be a black metal band, and didn't want anyone referring to them as a black metal band.
23.06.2009 - 23:27
toXic
Im listening to attitude now and i think its a great album. atheras voice is bether than ever, maby becouse he quit smoking and drinking :p

Started listening to susperia before they releesed unlimited when vindication was kind of old news, and i loved it. i think i like attitude becouse it has some of the same energy as vindication.

BTW? have anyone of you guys seen them live? well i have, five times (taunt) and it rocks, they are incredible performers and i "urge" all to go to a show near you =)
----
<You that walk in the night, you are afraid of the light,
from a glorius and fearles night to the shadow of a man beaten in a fight,
ones granted the power of steel the promis he made NEVER to kneel.>
03.05.2011 - 11:47
DeathSlyzer
Have anyone heard Susperia's new single "Nothing Remains"? I think it was a little dissapointing, because I felt it was a little too mainstream-ish at times, but still a very good song though. And now, Chrome Division is coming out with a new album, that features Athera on vocals. I'm really enjoying the direction Susperia is going, except for Nothing Remains a little. I have heard samples from the new Chrome Division, and it kinda sounds like later Susperia. Seems like it's gonna be a great release!
----
I sold my soul to any fool who'd buy it!
What's it gonna take to make you riot!?
26.02.2012 - 01:16
DevilBabi
Athera?? My god, I die a thousand times! I LOVE Susperia!!