05. Bonfire Of The Insanities
06. The Fury (Interlude)
07. The Far Bank At The River Styx
08. Enantiodromia (Interlude)
09. Tabula Rasa

Staff review by
musclassia
Rating:
Music isn’t the art form most suited to sequels, so it may not have much competition, but Panzerfaust’s The Suns Of Perdition must be among the best metal album trilogies ever.

Read more ››
published 21.07.2022 | Comments (3)

Found in 29 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 64   Visited by: 567 users
31.07.2022 - 12:36
Rating: 9
musclassia
Staff
Written by Satyr73 on 30.07.2022 at 16:09

This band is complete absurdity, no sound, no idea of ​​music, a complete continuous chaos of sound, as if everything was recorded on interpretation at the moment. the same work as those vaunted lay people Cult of Luna.. Complete absurdity and some give it high marks?! a complete musical farce

Okay, a few points:

1) Stop spamming this thread. If you have 4 points, make one post containing 4 points instead of making 4 separate comments (like I have in this comment).

2) If you legitimately despise this album and Cult of Luna so much, just stop listening to them; no one is forcing you to listen to them. Other people in both this thread and the Long Road North thread have been capable of voicing mixed or negative opinions towards the respective albums without acting as though other people liking the albums is some form of grave insult. If you genuinely consider The Long Road North to be a 1 (i.e. 'worst ever'), why would you bother going back to the album when you'd already decided in February that it was 'it's awful as music'?

3) Appreciation of music is subjective, but even considering that, your complaints are baffling. You've namedropped Panzerfaust, Cult Of Luna, Kardashev and Schammasch in this thread; as someone who has reviewed them all, and reviewed all 4 very positively at that, the four bands are genuinely not so different stylistically from one another for such extremely polarized opinions on them to make sense. In particular, using Schammasch as the shining example of what to listen to instead of this is very strange; Panzerfaust and Schammasch are both black(ened) metal bands with obvious atmospheric inclinations, a major emphasis on the drums, vocals in a similar range, and both even dabble with tribal ambient sounds (see Enantiodromia on this album vs. the EP you've linked below). They are extremely close to one another on the music map, and like mz pointed out as well, multiple tracks on this album sound rather Schammasch-y, which I noted myself in my review.

It's absolutely fine to like one of these bands and dislike the other (even though I think it's far more likely that fans of one band will enjoy the other). However, it goes beyond subjective taste into an objective obtuseness to rate Schammasch's last 3 records as a 10 and to subsequently describe this album in the same kind of manner that people who don't listen to metal music stereotypically describe anything slightly heavy (it's just chaos, no songs) while rating it as 'pure shit'. However, the fact that you can refer to this band and Cult Of Luna's music as 'as if everything was recorded on interpretation, complete absurdity' while giving flat 10s to an array of other bands that use equally (or more) protracted or meandering structures such as Esoteric, Ahab and Darkspace just indicates a general lack of critical reasoning.

4) What is the purpose of your subsequent comments? In particular, posting a link to a full live performance by Panzerfaust with no further elaboration - this is the kind of thing that people who enjoy a band do, share live performances of the band to other fans. However, presumably the intention of your posting it here is not to share something you enjoy with likeminded individuals, in which case I can only assume that it was posted to try and put it forward as some kind of implorement for the people that do like the band to come to their senses. What are you expecting people to do: listen to a band that they know that they like, but because you've posted music that they like with a little '2' rating next to it, they'll just go 'oh yeah, of course, this thing that I thought I like is actually bad'? You're making the fact that some people like/love this album while you hate is to be an 'everyone else' problem, rather than a 'you' problem, which it is. And it's fine to have a 'you' problem when disliking an album, because everyone, myself included, has various cases where they don't like an album that a lot of other people feel very fondly about; however, it's important to not take other people liking music that you dislike to be some kind of personal attack, and to be able to vocalize those more negative feelings towards an album without making a scene.
31.07.2022 - 13:40
nikarg
Staff
Written by musclassia on 31.07.2022 at 12:36

it's important to not take other people liking music that you dislike to be some kind of personal attack, and to be able to vocalize those more negative feelings towards an album without making a scene.

We should put this sentence somewhere in the front page with capital bold.
31.07.2022 - 23:19
Satyr73

This band is complete absurdity, no sound, no idea of ​​music, a complete continuous chaos of sound, as if everything was recorded on interpretation at the moment. the same work as those vaunted lay people Cult of Luna.. Complete absurdity and some give it high marks?! a complete musical farce

Okay, a few points:

1) Stop spamming this thread. If you have 4 points, make one post containing 4 points instead of making 4 separate comments (like I have in this comment).

2) If you legitimately despise this album and Cult of Luna so much, just stop listening to them; no one is forcing you to listen to them. Other people in both this thread and the Long Road North thread have been capable of voicing mixed or negative opinions towards the respective albums without acting as though other people liking the albums is some form of grave insult. If you genuinely consider The Long Road North to be a 1 (i.e. 'worst ever'), why would you bother going back to the album when you'd already decided in February that it was 'it's awful as music'?

3) Appreciation of music is subjective, but even considering that, your complaints are baffling. You've namedropped Panzerfaust, Cult Of Luna, Kardashev and Schammasch in this thread; as someone who has reviewed them all, and reviewed all 4 very positively at that, the four bands are genuinely not so different stylistically from one another for such extremely polarized opinions on them to make sense. In particular, using Schammasch as the shining example of what to listen to instead of this is very strange; Panzerfaust and Schammasch are both black(ened) metal bands with obvious atmospheric inclinations, a major emphasis on the drums, vocals in a similar range, and both even dabble with tribal ambient sounds (see Enantiodromia on this album vs. the EP you've linked below). They are extremely close to one another on the music map, and like mz pointed out as well, multiple tracks on this album sound rather Schammasch-y, which I noted myself in my review.

It's absolutely fine to like one of these bands and dislike the other (even though I think it's far more likely that fans of one band will enjoy the other). However, it goes beyond subjective taste into an objective obtuseness to rate Schammasch's last 3 records as a 10 and to subsequently describe this album in the same kind of manner that people who don't listen to metal music stereotypically describe anything slightly heavy (it's just chaos, no songs) while rating it as 'pure shit'. However, the fact that you can refer to this band and Cult Of Luna's music as 'as if everything was recorded on interpretation, complete absurdity' while giving flat 10s to an array of other bands that use equally (or more) protracted or meandering structures such as Esoteric, Ahab and Darkspace just indicates a general lack of critical reasoning.

4) What is the purpose of your subsequent comments? In particular, posting a link to a full live performance by Panzerfaust with no further elaboration - this is the kind of thing that people who enjoy a band do, share live performances of the band to other fans. However, presumably the intention of your posting it here is not to share something you enjoy with likeminded individuals, in which case I can only assume that it was posted to try and put it forward as some kind of implorement for the people that do like the band to come to their senses. What are you expecting people to do: listen to a band that they know that they like, but because you've posted music that they like with a little '2' rating next to it, they'll just go 'oh yeah, of course, this thing that I thought I like is actually bad'? You're making the fact that some people like/love this album while you hate is to be an 'everyone else' problem, rather than a 'you' problem, which it is. And it's fine to have a 'you' problem when disliking an album, because everyone, myself included, has various cases where they don't like an album that a lot of other people feel very fondly about; however, it's important to not take other people liking music that you dislike to be some kind of personal attack, and to be able to vocalize those more negative feelings towards an album without making a scene.

Thanks for the comprehensive answer, but in reality I have never had a bad attitude towards music, because I am also a musician / I play guitar / and you clearly did not understand me! That's right, music is a subjective thing, but I get irritated by the vain bragging of certain groups that really don't deserve these praises to the listeners and confuse the value orientation of many people here. I give 10 to everything I like and I really can't define something with a scale of 1-10 points, just either you like it or you don't...
31.07.2022 - 23:46
A Real Mönkey
So anyway, Panzerfaust...

Hearing the post-metal descriptions and the fact that it overturns the black metal aspect of it compared to the previous two really zapped my interest at first, but there's an interesting sound to this from what I've heard so far. Now I'm actually gonna have to sit and listen to this.
----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire
01.08.2022 - 00:09
Satyr73
In fact... I went and listened to everything on Panzerfaust🤫 and I can, as a person who knows how to make music, really notice the presence of original ideas, and well executed. But their production is generally lame, but that's a personal opinion. Compare for example the ideas and realization of them and bands who are great mostly with their ideas :Evoken, Esoteric, Schammasch, The Ruins of Beverast, Enslaved, Swallow The Sun.. Yes, these are different styles, but the music is proven to be good and well executed. But I already find myself changing my mind with each new listen to Panzerfaust and there are some really good ideas here.🤘🏿🤔
01.08.2022 - 01:10
Rating: 8
mz
Written by Satyr73 on 01.08.2022 at 00:09

In fact... I went and listened to everything on Panzerfaust🤫 and I can, as a person who knows how to make music, really notice the presence of original ideas, and well executed. But their production is generally lame, but that's a personal opinion. Compare for example the ideas and realization of them and bands who are great mostly with their ideas :Evoken, Esoteric, Schammasch, The Ruins of Beverast, Enslaved, Swallow The Sun.. Yes, these are different styles, but the music is proven to be good and well executed. But I already find myself changing my mind with each new listen to Panzerfaust and there are some really good ideas here.🤘🏿🤔

I'm glad you like them more this time around, but it is generally strange to rate something as 2, (which is like pure shit) and then pump it up to 7 (a rating reserved for "good" albums) after just two days and a few moderately critical comments about the non-critical approach to rating on your side.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
01.08.2022 - 01:24
Satyr73
Written by mz on 01.08.2022 at 01:10

Written by Satyr73 on 01.08.2022 at 00:09

I'm glad you like them more this time around, but it is generally strange to rate something as 2, (which is like pure shit) and then pump it up to 7 (a rating reserved for "good" albums) after just two days and a few moderately critical comments about the non-critical approach to rating on your side.

Panzerfaust have so much influence and inspiration from many other bands and the more I listen to them I notice that this isn't just black metal, there's elemental doom as well as psychedelic like Esoteric and The Ruins of Beverast.

In time, my vote will probably increase from 7 to 9-10 🤔🤫
01.08.2022 - 03:08
VileVick-Bryant
Bgcasio heart grew three sizes that day also I'm glade I'm not the only one that thinks this is more then just black metal. Maybe post black? or Atmospheric black?
02.08.2022 - 23:22
chomskeet
Great album, I think I personally like the other two in this series a bit better than this one, but time will tell. The Far Bank At The River Styx is a very strong track
06.08.2022 - 13:17
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Written by Pelle on 27.07.2022 at 17:17

For me personally, Panzerfaust trilogy is way better than Deathspell Omega's

...and then, you woke up.
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

06.08.2022 - 13:28
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Written by Satyr73 on 31.07.2022 at 23:19

Okay, a few points:

Thanks for the comprehensive answer, but in reality I have never had a bad attitude towards music, because I am also a musician / I play guitar / and you clearly did not understand me! That's right, music is a subjective thing, but I get irritated by the vain bragging of certain groups that really don't deserve these praises to the listeners and confuse the value orientation of many people here. I give 10 to everything I like and I really can't define something with a scale of 1-10 points, just either you like it or you don't...

I just saw this, and lol

comes to mind.

I didn't even realise this was a trilogy, last two were that bland, but from the Tetsuo-style art, I'll see to it.
----

06.08.2022 - 18:33
nikarg
Staff
Written by Alakazam on 06.08.2022 at 13:17

Or maybe you're still asleep.
06.08.2022 - 22:47
DoomRules
I nominate this album as the drama of the year at the MS Awards 2022.
----
There's no light at the end of the tunnel...
07.08.2022 - 11:39
gavdann
Far Bank at the River Styx could be the best track of the last 5 years. It's the point at which the album explodes but I can't stop playing Panzerfaust at the moment. I've played very little else for the past 2 weeks.
07.08.2022 - 16:00
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Written by nikarg on 06.08.2022 at 18:33

Written by Alakazam on 06.08.2022 at 13:17

Or maybe you're still asleep.

Had enough PTSD nightmares to know the difference.
----

14.08.2022 - 21:41
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Ok, this is black aoty for me. May be pulling cunningham's law here. And damn "The Far Bank At The River Styx" is bonkers.
16.08.2022 - 11:28
Metren
Dreadrealm
The production and atmosphere carry this album to great heights. The vocals are superb throughout. Not the best thing I've ever heard, but it makes for an impressive introduction to Panzerfaust. I need to listen to the rest of the trilogy as soon as possible.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
23.08.2022 - 16:39
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
When I saw this live there were guys literally with their faces covered down on the bar it was hilarious.

Metal is truly declining.
----

23.08.2022 - 19:00
gavdann
Written by Alakazam on 23.08.2022 at 16:39

When I saw this live there were guys literally with their faces covered down on the bar it was hilarious.

Metal is truly declining.

Tbh I don't really have much of a clue what you're saying in most of your posts.

It's interesting you take the time to see a band live, who you hate so much though. Let it go dude.
23.08.2022 - 20:31
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Written by gavdann on 23.08.2022 at 19:00

Tbh I don't really have much of a clue what you're saying in most of your posts.

It's interesting you take the time to see a band live, who you hate so much though. Let it go dude.

So why didn't you ask me a question before coming to conclusions, are you sure you didn't understand me? Because it looks like you did. Seems legit.
----

24.08.2022 - 00:24
A Real Mönkey
Written by Alakazam on 23.08.2022 at 16:39

Metal is truly improving.

Fix’d that for you.
----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire
30.08.2022 - 21:50
Satyr73
The Suns Of Perdition - Chapter I: War, Horrid War - this is a unique performance of the band, the best album of dozens of times listening to everything from them. And I apologize for underestimating me a while ago. But about Cult of Luna's work, no matter how hard I try, it's not my music!
30.08.2022 - 22:28
gavdann
Written by Satyr73 on 30.08.2022 at 21:50

The Suns Of Perdition - Chapter I: War, Horrid War - this is a unique performance of the band, the best album of dozens of times listening to everything from them. And I apologize for underestimating me a while ago. But about Cult of Luna's work, no matter how hard I try, it's not my music!

Chapter II is my favourite but the entire trilogy is a fabulous piece of work for me.

I've read there is a Chapter IV to come in the future as well.
31.08.2022 - 00:33
mz
So bgcasio's rating went from 2 to 9 in a month? I've never seen anything like this.
----
31.08.2022 - 14:49
gavdann
Written by mz on 31.08.2022 at 00:33

So bgcasio's rating went from 2 to 9 in a month? I've never seen anything like this.

True. The journey to discovery has been a bumpy ride for bgcasio.
01.09.2022 - 21:59
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Okay, finally listened.

These guys definitely know how to create a captivating atmosphere. Definitely a post metal album. I enjoyed it a lot. I'd imagine these guys would crush live.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.09.2022 - 00:22
musclassia
Staff
Written by gavdann on 30.08.2022 at 22:28

Surely not, my whole blurb in my review about how great a trilogy The Suns Of Perdition is will be rendered obsolete
02.09.2022 - 00:25
mz
Written by Boxcar Willy on 01.09.2022 at 21:59

Okay, finally listened.

These guys definitely know how to create a captivating atmosphere. Definitely a post metal album. I enjoyed it a lot. I'd imagine these guys would crush live.

Check the previous two albums of them. They are less post-metallic and more black, and I like them more than this one.
----
06.10.2022 - 20:50
gavdann
Written by musclassia on 02.09.2022 at 00:22

Written by gavdann on 30.08.2022 at 22:28

Surely not, my whole blurb in my review about how great a trilogy The Suns Of Perdition is will be rendered obsolete

"All quiet on the Northern front.

Dispatches have been less frequent in recent weeks. Let that not be for reasons of inactivity. Despite what some press had reported, "The Suns of Perdition" is NOT a trilogy. It does, in fact, have a fourth and final chapter that we are currently in the thick of composing."
16.10.2022 - 12:59
tintinb
My favourite song is the give and the hole. Such great buildup in that song. The interludes were really unnecessary. The first track was sort of ok but the rest of the tracks were very very good
----
Leeches everywhere.

Hits total: 7942 | This month: 24