12. Inamorata

The Biggest Letdown Of 2023

Additional info
Recorded at HQ, San Rafael, California.
Mastered at Gateway Mastering.

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Next time, Metallica, please just pick your 40 favorite seasons and call it a day right there.

Read more ››
published 24.04.2023 | Comments (19)

Found in 36 lists
Top lists

Comments page 5 / 6

Comments: 153   Visited by: 1203 users
17.04.2023 - 17:45
Rating: 7
ejimenezDoom
This could be 30 minutes shorter and will be great, some songs are great but others get bored with time.
Whatever.. it's a decent album...Metallica could record the best album in history and still their haters would come to say something.
17.04.2023 - 19:18
Rating: 8
metalbrat
Written by MegaTornado on 17.04.2023 at 17:42

Written by metalbrat on 17.04.2023 at 16:33

Its been 3 days continuous spin...and you know what??... This thing is an absolute grower... If it were any other band, so many would've agreed with me by now that some tracks are growing listen after listen. Unfortunately its Metallica and everyone wants to be the first to despise it!!!!.....there are no instant hits here... But real grower...

Yes, I was one of the guys that didn't like this at first. Now I really understand it, songs are stuck in my head, Hetfield voice is incredible, but also so many good riffs, harmonies and very strong song arrangements

👍👍🤘🤘
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
18.04.2023 - 00:26
Nicko's Nose
Written by MegaTornado on 17.04.2023 at 17:38

Written by MegaTornado on 15.04.2023 at 13:12

I am starting to think too that St. Anger(which was an insult to metal and to their legacy because of the lack of solos) is more fun than this boring poor copy of load/reload awful era.

Ok, I am quoting myself here because I was so wrong... After a few listens more I take everything back: this album is really really good! The songs that sound like Load/Reload(which I don't like) are actually very good songs. So many vocal hooks, James is a monster, so many catchy riffs and harmonies. Black Sabbath is all over those slow songs. This album is a grower. Only thing I don't like yet is some of Kirk's solos. Drums are generic, but don't disturb me. Overall a great album

How is it even possible to go from thinking an album deserves a 1/10 to thinking it deserves a 10/10? 🤔
18.04.2023 - 05:38
Rating: 10
MegaTornado
Written by Nicko's Nose on 18.04.2023 at 00:26

Written by MegaTornado on 17.04.2023 at 17:38

Written by MegaTornado on 15.04.2023 at 13:12

I am starting to think too that St. Anger(which was an insult to metal and to their legacy because of the lack of solos) is more fun than this boring poor copy of load/reload awful era.

Ok, I am quoting myself here because I was so wrong... After a few listens more I take everything back: this album is really really good! The songs that sound like Load/Reload(which I don't like) are actually very good songs. So many vocal hooks, James is a monster, so many catchy riffs and harmonies. Black Sabbath is all over those slow songs. This album is a grower. Only thing I don't like yet is some of Kirk's solos. Drums are generic, but don't disturb me. Overall a great album

How is it even possible to go from thinking an album deserves a 1/10 to thinking it deserves a 10/10? 🤔

It's literally written in the text. Right there. ÎÎÎ
18.04.2023 - 09:23
Nicko's Nose
Better than Load, Reload, St. Anger, Death Magnetic, Lulu and Hardwired...to Self-Destruct. Kthxbye.
18.04.2023 - 16:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Once a one of biggest bands in a world, now, huh
Neverminded from Kill em All, to Black, (few songs in Load, ReLoad) (even Garage inc) then came one big suxer St. Anger and even Lulu pop , Death Magnetic was well , ok, but this and Hardwired are their best after Black album. I like it sortha back to street thug garage days era. Metallica always will be 80's bands to me, but I will listen it few more times and put it away. I have no listened Hardwired after its release year.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.04.2023 - 19:14
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Nicko's Nose on 18.04.2023 at 00:26

This goes to show how senseless and redundant rating albums is in general.
19.04.2023 - 16:51
Rating: 6
Vellichor
Pretty much paint-by-the-numbers Metallica. Generic chorus then gotta make sure they shout the song title before going back into the main riff it feels like they don’t like making this kind of music anymore but feel pigeonholed by their fans. I would rather see them do something creative even if it’s not the best than another generic album that runs way past it’s time.
20.04.2023 - 09:11
Jeeers
Bōōring!
21.04.2023 - 17:19
pope.88
Didn't love it at first, but after listening to it a few times I'm hooked. Best since Justice. And I also like the cover, I like yellow...
23.04.2023 - 10:22
Rating: 9
The filler is filler but it’s better filler than Hardwired (an album I like). Inamorata is a definite Top 10 Metallica song for me. There are some really good songs that will wind up being deep cuts but that’s subjective. I think this albums legacy is going to be divisive in a good way where people will like some songs and not others. You probably won’t get the same hive mind opinion thankfully.

It’s Metallica. James can still sing. Musicianship is strong. Hating the popular thing doesn’t make you different or original.
23.04.2023 - 12:37
nikarg
Staff
Written by franksamuel0209 on 23.04.2023 at 10:22

It’s Metallica. James can still sing. Musicianship is strong. Hating the popular thing doesn’t make you different or original.

Not targeting you in any way but, if you say something like "Hating the popular thing doesn’t make you different or original", then it's very likely to get a reply. This album is the very definition of "lethargic". The mere fact that Lars is playing like a guy who has just been learning drums for a month and all he knows is 4/4, is enough to put me to sleep. Kirk is doing the same solo over and over again. The songs are mostly indistinguishable from one another, with the exception of "Lux Æterna", which sounds like a lost track from Kill 'Em All.
23.04.2023 - 15:27
Stormm

The filler is filler but it’s better filler than Hardwired (an album I like). Inamorata is a definite Top 10 Metallica song for me. There are some really good songs that will wind up being deep cuts but that’s subjective. I think this albums legacy is going to be divisive in a good way where people will like some songs and not others. You probably won’t get the same hive mind opinion thankfully.

I hope I will find same sentiment about song Inamorata. Right now it's crouching somewhere on the bottom for me. Lots of very basic power chord riffs and all the way kinda simplistic song getting completely minimalistic in the middle and feels kinda shallow and empty. I hope it will grow.
24.04.2023 - 01:05
Opethian
Metallica will always have its fair share of enablers that run in circles coming up with the most one-dimensional excuses for why their precious metal band that died out ages ago is still 'relevant' and dishing out 'good music.' Have at it by all means. Oof.
24.04.2023 - 04:06
mikeprado30
Written by Stormm on 23.04.2023 at 15:27

I hope I will find same sentiment about song Inamorata. Right now it's crouching somewhere on the bottom for me. Lots of very basic power chord riffs and all the way kinda simplistic song getting completely minimalistic in the middle and feels kinda shallow and empty. I hope it will grow.

My feelings with Inamorata are:

A beginning very long, watered down, but an intense and aggresive ending. It could be way better.
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
25.04.2023 - 21:13
Written by nikarg on 23.04.2023 at 12:37

. Kirk is doing the same solo over and over again.

Duuuude. what album have you been listening to?
25.04.2023 - 21:17

James can still sing. Musicianship is strong.

Yeah, the riffs are good, the vocal melodies and chorus are good. the drumming is good. the lyrics and song structures are good. Any other band ticking all those boxes would get a lot of praise.. but the "hate" that Metallica gets is unreal.

But if you follow their socials you'd see many modern fans are very appreciative of what the band is still achieving. I feel it's the grumpy old uncles now that have gone into that "We saw the real deal, you kids know shit" mode that keeps the baseless criticism coming
25.04.2023 - 21:21
Inamorata keeps getting better with every listen. It is no mean feat that an 11 min song doesn't feel too long. This coming from a non-doom metal band is special to me
26.04.2023 - 11:01
nikarg
Staff
Written by The Melting Snow on 25.04.2023 at 21:13

Based on this earlier comment of yours:
Written by The Melting Snow on 14.04.2023 at 19:35

Really good riffs, solos, and compositions throughout. I really like the drums too, beats the negativity that is thrown around about Lars' drumming.

clearly not the same album that you have been listening to.

I can discuss anything and hear counter-arguments about how this album is good, but praising Lars's drumming on this particular album, especially, just leaves me speechless. A well-programmed drum machine would sound much more inventive than Lars. Kirk has been mostly uninteresting for the last 35 years. There is a reason why no one criticises Hetfield and Trujillo; instead, they are praised. If people blindly hated on Metallica, as you may think, they would find something nasty to say about these two as well. But they don't.

I am glad you like 72 Seasons, and there is nothing wrong with that. For me, it is something that I will not listen to again because I can only find parts of songs that I like on it, and I am not interested in wading through the crap to find the gold or in tolerating the overlong and unnecessary intros and false outros to enjoy a good riff that is lost somewhere in between. This is a matter of taste; it is not hate, it is not trying to be cool, different, or original like another user said, and it is definitely not because I am a "grumpy old uncle", who bought Justice when it came out, and tells you that "you don't know shit". I actually have never said anything like that ever, and I don't remember anyone else saying this either.
26.04.2023 - 13:23
Stormm
Written by nikarg on 26.04.2023 at 11:01

Written by The Melting Snow on 25.04.2023 at 21:13

Based on this earlier comment of yours:
Written by The Melting Snow on 14.04.2023 at 19:35

Really good riffs, solos, and compositions throughout. I really like the drums too, beats the negativity that is thrown around about Lars' drumming.

clearly not the same album that you have been listening to.

I can discuss anything and hear counter-arguments about how this album is good, but praising Lars's drumming on this particular album, especially, just leaves me speechless. A well-programmed drum machine would sound much more inventive than Lars. Kirk has been mostly uninteresting for the last 35 years. There is a reason why no one criticises Hetfield and Trujillo; instead, they are praised. If people blindly hated on Metallica, as you may think, they would find something nasty to say about these two as well. But they don't.

I am glad you like 72 Seasons, and there is nothing wrong with that. For me, it is something that I will not listen to again because I can only find parts of songs that I like on it, and I am not interested in wading through the crap to find the gold or in tolerating the overlong and unnecessary intros and false outros to enjoy a good riff that is lost somewhere in between. This is a matter of taste; it is not hate, it is not trying to be cool, different, or original like another user said, and it is definitely not because I am a "grumpy old uncle", who bought Justice when it came out, and tells you that "you don't know shit". I actually have never said anything like that ever, and I don't remember anyone else saying this either.

"Kirk has been mostly uninteresting for the last 35 years..."

Eh, you really think solos from One, Blackened, And Justice for all..., Dyers Eve or Enter Sandman, The Unforgiven, The God That Failed, etc. are uniteresting? Well, in 90's, his solos became simpler, probably because their music became simpler. I think he became unispired in some songs on Death Magnetic and much more on Hardwired...
26.04.2023 - 16:00
nikarg
Staff
Written by Stormm on 26.04.2023 at 13:23

Eh, you really think solos from One, Blackened, And Justice for all..., Dyers Eve or Enter Sandman, The Unforgiven, The God That Failed, etc. are uniteresting? Well, in 90's, his solos became simpler, probably because their music became simpler. I think he became unispired in some songs on Death Magnetic and much more on Hardwired...

The solos on Justice rule. I meant the albums that came after. I should have clarified that. And yes, I think the solos on the black album are very weak. The wah wah did my head in when I first heard it and I have not changed opinion since then.
28.04.2023 - 23:07
Archie 666
Mashed potatoes without salt.
05.05.2023 - 07:26
Rating: 5
panths
Some really good monents and some really bad.Overall nothing so special.Also quite boring.
05.05.2023 - 11:45
nonZero
Written by Archie 666 on 28.04.2023 at 23:07

Mashed potatoes without salt.

This is a fantastic analogy and so accurate
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
09.05.2023 - 04:16
Cthulu
Some good moments here and there, but even more bland and forgettable moments. Inamorata was the best song overall.

Edit: One year later, I think this is a good album. It's not a thrash metal album though
11.05.2023 - 08:43
Mountain King
K i K o
First Metallica album in ages that I can listen through and I enjoy. I like it, the riffs are really good bangers and James sounds in great form.
21.05.2023 - 19:56
Rating: 5
Metal Addiction
It is not the first time that the trash metal legends have come back with dismay. Nevertheless, fans have always had high hopes for them. The reason is that the name, Metallica, means a lot to metal fans and in thrash metal history. Unfortunately, this album is another failure to feed up the fans' ardent wish for thrashing. It is full of monotonous riffs with intuitive and straightforward-sounding approaches, showing the downward spiral of Metallica's musicality.
27.05.2023 - 20:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Based on my personal gathering of statistics, I have concluded that the vast majority of Metallica fans aged 40+ will deem this album amazing.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.06.2023 - 13:22
SlapTap
The biggest fault of this album, as a collection of songs, is the overall "sameness" in terms of dynamics/intensity. Zero ballads or anything close - is there even clean guitar anywhere? The Roland Jazz Chorus sits dusty in the corner. The album is more impenetrable as a result. It takes longer for riffs, moments, songs to really begin to stand out from the pack.

For me the standouts are - You Must Burn!, Crown of Barbed Wire, Chasing Light, Too Far Gone?, Room of Mirrors. Go fast and punky, or go slow and Sabbath-y. The middling stuff is unsurprisingly middling. Metallica continues to have a very difficult time self-editing, but whereas long songs on old albums still often brimmed with urgency and intensity, these usually just overstay their welcome.

Kirk is just winging it all over the last two albums and it's easy to see. Lars is continuing the long, slow decline in his abilities since the turn of the century. But there are still moments here where you're reminded that he's the best drummer to lock into James' riffs, Phil Rudd style. Rob is...there? Great bass player, given a lot of space in the mix as on Hardwired, but no moments to really shine.

James is easily the star of this show, maybe more than any other Metallica record ever. He brings the riffs, and his vocals sound more vital and inspired than they have since the 90s.

There's lots to both love and dislike in the last few "comeback" Metallica albums. Right now, this sits just under Hardwired for me, and just above Death Magnetic which I don't think has aged particularly well.
17.06.2023 - 21:13
Metallica are suffering from their own success. This is a perfectly good album but unfortunately was releases by the most popular metal band in the world. People are going to rate it based on 80s thrash standards.

Hits total: 24342 | This month: 79