03. Storming The Walls
04. Mediterranean Wrath
05. I Wake The Dragon (Promachos)
06. Esoteric Church Of Dagon
07. Divus De Mortuus
08. Epitaphios
09. The Tomb
10. The Blazing Circle

Greece has made an impact on the genre of epic power metal in the last few years, with the emergence of bands like Warrior Path, Sacred Outcry, and Steel Arctus (to name a few). Triumpher are now joining this list of talented acts, in a scene that seems to be taking the metal world by storm.

Triumpher were formed in 2019 from the ashes of Saboter, which was a Judas Priest-loving band on their first album, Mankind Is Damned, and an Iced Earth-loving band on the second one, Architects Of Evil. Vocalist, bassist, main composer, and lyricist Antonis Vailas (aka Mars Triumph) and guitarist Christopher Tsakiroulos both created Triumpher, a band that kind of follows the path of Saboter’s Architects Of Evil, but in a darker, and more epic power metal kind of way.

To address the elephant in the room, this sounds a lot like Manowar. The main reason is Mars Triumph’s vocals that sound so much as if Eric Adams is singing that Adams himself would be confused if he listened to the album. This is not a reproach, it’s a compliment. In fact, I am amazed how he can do this and be so great at it, because on the Saboter albums he sounded very much like a mix of Rob Halford and Matt Barlow, and he was very good on them too.

But let’s go back to Triumpher and their music, which itself is also reminiscent of ‘80s Manowar, or of mid- to end-‘90s Virgin Steele (when they were very successfully building upon Manowar's foundation). However, Storming The Walls is way darker and, consequently, way less cheesy than Manowar. This can be initially assumed from the cover artwork (also made by Mars Triumph), and then verified when listening to the actual music. The music is epic power metal alright, but laced with quite a bit of doom metal, speed metal, as well as parts that are derived from extreme styles, such as black metal. In this sense, along with Hail To England and Invictus, there are influences from albums like Nightfall, Never, Neverland, and Nemesis Divina. Mind you, Mars Triumph was also the bass player of the black metal act Drakon Ho Megas, until recently, and drummer, John Votsis (aka Maelstrom), has played in countless black and extreme metal acts.

The recording of Storming The Walls is just the right dose of pounding, with the album having been mixed and mastered by George Emmanuel (Lucifer's Child, ex-Rotting Christ, ex-Necromantia). The vocals are at the right spot, the guitar leads and solos are emphasized as they should be, the drums are thunderous and full-sounding, and the bass is distinguishable. Performances are flawless all around.

Triumpher’s Storming The Walls is power metal that makes you feel powerful (or triumphant, if you will), and the right way forward after Saboter. What this debut may lack in originality, it’s more than made up for with its spirit, passion, and songwriting quality. The album is killer from start to finish, but it is the final track that I recommend you listen to first; “The Blazing Circle” is Triumpher’s “Battle Hymn”.

"Ride under the light of the morning star
Stab with a blade in their hearts
Blow the winds of revenge
The gods are favouring the brave"

Written on 05.05.2023 by Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud!

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 66 users
06.05.2023 - 15:00
Rating: 8
DarkWingedSoul
Well crafted review, however i cant agree to VS aping manowar part for me - in their glory daze - they were far better than manowar...
06.05.2023 - 17:26
nikarg
Staff
Written by DarkWingedSoul on 06.05.2023 at 15:00

Well crafted review, however i cant agree to VS aping manowar part for me - in their glory daze - they were far better than manowar...

"Aping" was clearly the wrong choice of verb, I don't know what I was thinking. I adore The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell, Invictus, and The House Of Atreus albums. I just think that they were based on Manowar's blueprint, while doing their own thing, of course. I changed the sentence to something that I believe is right; thanks for pointing that out.
06.05.2023 - 19:09
Rating: 8
DarkWingedSoul
No offence intended, i adore those albums as well
08.05.2023 - 09:37
Rating: 9
mikeprado30
This album is really powerful. A very nice surprise.
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
08.05.2023 - 15:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Wow that's the steel killer band, will listen to this band sounds awesome.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.04.2024 - 11:08
christosdd
Just listened this album for the first time...
strong and dark, with some melodies, nice riffs and solos
surely it deserves more plays!!
quite a surprise album

Hits total: 1524 | This month: 40