Metal Storm logo
Cinema in the Far-East

21.05.2006 - 01:29
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
I have taken interest in Japanese cinema lately. My favourite movies include "Uzumaki", "Tetsuo" and "Zatoichi" (Takeshi Kitano is a genius ). I´m still quite unfamiliar with Japanese, Chinese and Korean movies but from what I´ve seen the movies which are created there are more interesting nowadays than those that come from Europe or USA.
So post here your favourite movies from that area of the world and any kind of discussion concerning them is welcome.
21.05.2006 - 12:26
Avenant
Profane Seraph
Hmm... I havn't seen many far-eastern films, but I enjoy the old cult Kung Fu films - that's just so unique. Otherwise there're some very interesting Japanese films - I really enjoyed Ichi the Killer and Azumi - err...for different reasons. Then movies like Hero were fun, but that's all about being artistic for me...

either way, I find Far-eastern film an interesting break from the usual hollywood dribble, and the same goes for independant or other foreign film - different takes on things are always refreshing.
22.05.2006 - 23:34
Linak
I Own You Bitch
I am a BIG japanese movies fan, honestly, and uku dear, Uzumaki is one hell of a movie indeed! Amongst my favorites I strongly recommend you to watch as well Ichi the Killer, Versus and Battle Royale, those movies are a MUST SEE! As for other type of japanese movies, my ultimate all time favorite is called Moonchild, but it's my favorite because it's a Gackt/Hyde movie ^^' and I have tiny orgasms all through the movie hehe oh yes yes I doo, anyway I only really like few korean movies, for example one called Wishing Stairs, it's pretty weird but oh so good, and about Chinese movies, Hero, Crouching Tiger and The House of Flying Daggers are THE BEST, ^^ Really, I strongly recommend you watch those movies, okay so that's it!
----
Stick this up your fucking pee-aitch-dee.
22.05.2006 - 23:56
Soliloquy
the ones i have seen from that whole area are the ones that are usally played on the western theatres. movies like house of a flying dagger, and hero, the promise and stuff...but nothing big. and those 3 movies are just incredible
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
23.05.2006 - 00:33
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
Let´s not forget Akira Kurosawa, legendary Japanese director. I have seen "7 Samurai" and yesterday I watched "Rashomon". The first is probably the best adventure movie I have seen with excellent actors, most notable being Toshiro Mifune who also plays in "Rashomon".

@Linak <3 Gackt: Thanks, I certainly try to find the ones you suggested (well I am not sure about "Moonchild", my orgasms have probably different sources ). I have heard many good things about "Battle Royale". And if you haven´t seen "Tetsuo" yet then I surely recommend this - it´s a syrrealistic film about a man turning into iron and it has many really nice and sick scenes
23.05.2006 - 15:42
Tony Harrison
I have no arms..
Casshern is definately worth seeing, I think it was based on Japanese Anime and is a blend of action/sci-fi and is accompanied by a fantastic soundtrack. If you like films which deal with dark subject matter (e.g. cloning gone wrong and genocide as featured in this film!) and beautifully shot films with bright strong contrasting colours as so often featured in eastern cinema then this is definately worth watching.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405821/
----
This is an outrage...
23.05.2006 - 22:23
EddieGunner
Valkoinen kuolem
some great movies come from far east (Japan, Chine, Korea, Tailand too) i watched so manny but they always have some hard membering name and then i can't member those name, and in translation here they always give some shity new name of the movie so it's really hard to knwo names
anyway i memebr few they haved names on english too those r Seven Swords, Legend Of Surioyothai , Hous Of Flaying Daggers, Lost Brothershood,Cicsle,Evil well this is all for now

one more thing they also have some really stupid movie , movie like Kun-Fu Football that was a real waste of time
----
On pirun vaikea selvitä hengissä hautaan saakka
It is damn difficult to stay alive till the grave
Erno Paasilinna
:devil:
24.05.2006 - 00:53
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
Well IMO the far east makes some of the best movies I've ever seen. Premonition is a Japanese movie about a newspaper that told you when and how you or your loved ones were going to die. Of course I like Hero and Shaolin Soccer (I saw them before they came to America ). Versus is another good Japanese movie.

Here are some imdb descriptions of the movies I listed above:

Premonition: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419280/
Hero: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0299977/
Shaolin Soccer: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286112/
Versus: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0275773/
30.05.2006 - 06:40
Linak
I Own You Bitch
Versus is one of my all time favorite movies! *Hugs*
You and I should like marry and stuff
lol
----
02.06.2006 - 11:39
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
I still think even to this day that Samurai 7 is the best eastern movie I have seen. Of course I did like KungFu Hustle and A police (the old 80's Jackie Chan one?). I havent seen Shaolin Soccer yet, I want to but getting it here in Australia can be a bitch. Honestly I didn't overly like Hero and House of Flying Daggers (probably just me).
19.06.2006 - 13:35
decapitator
I saw this amazing Gorey movie called Versus... Zombies with guns.. i never thought that was possible... but its a great movie for fans of gore and far- east movies...
19.06.2006 - 14:01
heresiarch
Forever Dead
I'm big fan of Japanese director Akira Kurosawa. Especially his Samurai movies are legendary
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
19.06.2006 - 16:18
Deathrash
Account deleted
Zatoichi is quite possibly one of my favourite films ever - a beautiful blend of storyline, comedy and characters. As far as re-makes go it is definately the best ever.
05.08.2006 - 16:19
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Recently I have discovered Japanese actor/writer/editor/director/producer (damn! he is like Charlie Chaplin ) Takeshi Kitano. Very multi-talented movie person

Just yesterday in Finlands tv2 shoved his movie Brother (2000) pretty good gangster movie, lots of bullets,lots of dead bodies. But the violence is not brainless like in the american movies,thugs are scared,nervous and they are panicing.
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
06.08.2006 - 23:29
Linak
I Own You Bitch
Written by decapitator on 19.06.2006 at 13:35

I saw this amazing Gorey movie called Versus... Zombies with guns.. i never thought that was possible... but its a great movie for fans of gore and far- east movies...

Ho hell yeah! Versus is an incredible movie!! omg don't you think that prisoner 234125 thingie was like SO incredibly hot??
omg
lol
Anyway I have only seen the censored version, so all the gorey parts you talk about, I guess it was because of the cut, cause I didn't really see much blood.
But it was great huh? rather stupid sense of humor to mix up yakuza, samurai and zombies all in one movie ^^ but it was great, no seroiusly, I love this movie, it's without a doubt in my top 5, and THAT'S saying a lot! : )))
----
18.08.2006 - 17:44
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
Written by Linak on 06.08.2006 at 23:29

Ho hell yeah! Versus is an incredible movie!! omg don't you think that prisoner 234125 thingie was like SO incredibly hot??
omg
lol
Anyway I have only seen the censored version, so all the gorey parts you talk about, I guess it was because of the cut, cause I didn't really see much blood.
But it was great huh? rather stupid sense of humor to mix up yakuza, samurai and zombies all in one movie ^^ but it was great, no seroiusly, I love this movie, it's without a doubt in my top 5, and THAT'S saying a lot! : )))

If you really liked Versus I suggest you check out Death Trance if you already haven't. It has the same director who did Versus (Yuji Shimomura) and the main character is played by the same guy who played prisoner KSC-303 in Versus.

It's about Grave (the main guy) and he steals a coffin from a holy temple. Trapped inside the coffin is the Goddess of destruction. Grave ends up stealing the coffin because it is said that the Goddess of Destruction will grant any wish to the one who frees her. And of course there are people trying to stop him and there is a ton of action and all that good stuff.