Metal Storm logo
Cloning

Original post

Posted by Icewings, 19.05.2006 - 06:21
I'm not sure if someone did this Thread before , and if they did well I'm sorry but I just think is a good topic to discuss ...so cloning is the general term for the research activity that creates a copy of some biological entity meaning making a copy by genes of a human being , animal , or organ ...

I think that cloning a human is anti-human ...I don't even like the idea of thinking that someone can make a human being that looks juts liek you like ...Of course is not gonna think the same or anything but I think we are individuals and there's no one in the world like you ...Scientist hide many things and I wouldn't be surprised if they alredy have humans cloned ... but imagine to clone and animal took so much ..imagine a human being ...

About organ cloning , well is not such a bad idea , but then again there's side effects ..I have met many that try that and well unfortunatly some die and other are not happy because the way the body rejects ..

So are you guys with or against cloning and why ?
26.10.2008 - 02:45
Hyvaarin
Written by KryptoN on 25.10.2008 at 10:52

Written by kkktookmybaby on 25.10.2008 at 06:25

If youve ever seen the movie 'the island' youd know how much it sucks to have a meaningless life that was created by humans to kill

Excuse me, but I just had to LMAO to that comment... The Island is a nice and interesting movie, but movies are not comparable to reality (especially The Island isn't). It seems to be quite common to think of cloning as hollywood styled tales portrayed in movies. In my opinion it's pure idiocy to use movies as some sort of an argument. I mean come on, this is the "serious discussion" section of the site.

To be fair, movies/literature/general art can be used to raise and discuss important social/ethical questions. It's silly to dismiss a potentially valid argument because it's "just from a movie".

That said, 'The Island' might be completely full of shit. I haven't seen it, so I can't comment on this specific case haha.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
26.10.2008 - 03:28
KryptoN
imperceptible
Written by Hyvaarin on 26.10.2008 at 02:45

To be fair, movies/literature/general art can be used to raise and discuss important social/ethical questions. It's silly to dismiss a potentially valid argument because it's "just from a movie".

Sure, I agree on that. However, that wasn't the case. I didn't mean to generalize/empasize the plural "movies".
26.10.2008 - 20:30
kkktookmybaby
Written by KryptoN on 26.10.2008 at 03:28

Sure, I agree on that. However, that wasn't the case. I didn't mean to generalize/empasize the plural "movies".

i wasnt talking about the movie itself...but as the message it is trying to give out
28.10.2008 - 19:45
KryptoN
imperceptible
Written by kkktookmybaby on 26.10.2008 at 20:30

Written by KryptoN on 26.10.2008 at 03:28

i wasnt talking about the movie itself...but as the message it is trying to give out

I know. Still, it's not a very realistic issue to be wondering about IMO. It is just so far out there chronologically that it's not worth drawing into realistic discussion. It would be like wondering about the border issues of countries X and Y on the human colony planets while we're still in the baby shoes of space travel.

I do admit the movie paints an interesting picture, but to treat is as a viable argument at this point is just purely speculative which to me makes it a sci-fi fantasy and off-topic for serious discussion, unless you elaborate and explain how it relates to the current era.

(This may seem really negative but that's not what I'm aiming for, I hope you see that. I'm just trying to get more out of people instead of just a few lines of stuff, and of course the oh so many uneducated one-liner comments about being "unnatural" etc. earlier in the thread.)
16.11.2008 - 01:20
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
I would'nt be happy if someone cloned me, while organ cloning can help alot of people
16.11.2008 - 06:06
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite

If youve ever seen the movie 'the island' youd know how much it sucks to have a meaningless life that was created by humans to kill

Then again you could have a meaningful life as a clone.

----
(space for rent)
18.11.2008 - 21:41
Hyvaarin
Written by Dane Train on 16.11.2008 at 06:06

Then again you could have a meaningful life as a clone.

You quoted something I didn't say .
----
18.11.2008 - 22:39
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Hyvaarin on 18.11.2008 at 21:41

Sorry mate, I guess the text programming got mixed up when I posted that.
----
(space for rent)
19.11.2008 - 23:36
Hyvaarin
Written by Dane Train on 18.11.2008 at 22:39

Written by Hyvaarin on 18.11.2008 at 21:41

Sorry mate, I guess the text programming got mixed up when I posted that.

No worries . I also apparently got quoted by you in the abortion thread, but I couldn't even find the "fake quote post" haha.
----
20.11.2008 - 15:54
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Hyvaarin on 19.11.2008 at 23:36

No worries . I also apparently got quoted by you in the abortion thread, but I couldn't even find the "fake quote post" haha.

That is odd. I think there are terrorists invading Metal Storm.
----
(space for rent)
28.12.2008 - 08:38
Fe Maiden
I haven't read all the post, but it seems like everyone is against, but I a for it. We have had a lot of benefits from cloning and using bacterial vectors, before we genetically altered bacteria to produce insulin we were using pig insulin, which isn't as effective. Cloning has taught us a lot about molecular biology anyway.

Even if we did figure out a way to clone humans (how exciting would that be?), you don't have to worry about a The Island or that one with the guy scenarios since the clone would start out as an egg and nucleus and have to grow just like anyone else. You would have to clone them while the person is an infant.
29.12.2008 - 00:25
Atto
Account deleted
Written by Fe Maiden on 28.12.2008 at 08:38

... since the clone would start out as an egg and nucleus and have to grow just like anyone else.

Well, since the clone starts out as a new person, that could be used to help scientists undestand how much of a person's intelligence is learned or developed, and how much is genetic, which is something they don't have a final answer yet...For example, cloning a Stephen Hawking, and seeing if the clone would turn out to be as intelligent as the original one...or cloning a Pele and finally discovering if Pele would be such a genius in modern soccer (he played years ago, when physical conditions and soccer tactics were very different than now...)

Just kidding....now talking about more serious stuff...

I don't see many uses for grown up clones. It's not like we will create humans just by cloning from now on....Maybe they will offer the technique to a few rich people who want to pay a lot to clone somebody, but that won't be very common..
To be exact, I think they will use most clones for creating and growing stem cells for people, so they'll have replacement parts for every cell in their body, what would include neurones and the cells that compose the spinal cord, for example...allowing a lot of disabiiities to be healed. That would be Medicine's next giant step, so even considering that there are a lot of ethic disagreements now, that is something that will be acomplished, because humans simply want to live more....

That reminds me a phrase I heard once, about humans living a lot..."Would you want someone like Hitler to live for more 140 years?"...That scares me...
27.02.2009 - 23:49
jd-inflames
Account deleted
I see absolutely no use in cloning a human being other than research, and even that is limited.

Of course, cloning someone with cancer or some other kind of disease, would be quite advantageous, because we could use experimental treatments without the fear of jeopardizing actual human life.

I'd agree with organ cloning, however, simply because the more we use it, the more we can get an understanding of it and prevent those bad things that could possibly happen like you were describing.
21.03.2010 - 09:27
Okay... by organ cloning do we mean stem cell research?

"organ cloning," taking the literal meaning, is fantastic. There are so many complications involved with organ donation, for example people who die waiting for an organ from a donor, or organs that get rejected etc. Most of these are overcome via 'organ cloning' as it was put. All for.

I don't see the point in creating exact human copies of each other because it serves no purpose. But think about it... commercial cloning. You could commission a company to clone a DNA sample for you (assuming we can accelerate growth) and create an evil sidekick to do your duty for you, or a maid, chauffeur, your best friend who is never around...

Programs like Dollhouse come to mind. Also that Futurama episode when Fry downloads Lucy Liu into a robot.
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
25.03.2010 - 15:19
Alphafemale
I see it as artificial creation of the body, 'machine', but the soul is never the same.
----
'Proud forest rises towards the sky,
in awe I stand silent
Green path of life amalgamates
With my own belief'
26.03.2010 - 19:39
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Have you guys read about a printer that is in the works that prints out body parts? This is incredible: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124674635

Here is a 3-D Printer in action, printing a ball bearing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7h09dTVkdw
----
Brujerizmo!