Metal Storm logo
Books - Something great to read (Please follow the guideline)

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 23.05.2006 - 14:39
Here you can post great books that you have read and want to recommend to other members on metalstorm.

Please Dont just post the name of book, by add who wrote the book and a genre of the book as well as a short description on it and your opinion.
A picture would be nice too.
Thx.

Il start with a book im reading now
"Life of Pi" by Yann Martel.

[img=http://img1.imageshack.us/img1/4913/lifeofpiex1kl.th.jpg]

A preposterous but utterly enchanting story about a young Indian boy adrift in a lifeboat with his good friend, a Bengal tiger, and some other zoo animals.
A story about survival, and as one charecter claims, it can make you belive in god.
Thewirting is this fisction book simple and excellent.
The book is funny and smart (and youl also find a few metal band names there )

Enjoy.
15.02.2013 - 10:36
no one
Account deleted
I am a horror novel fanatic, but lately i thought i would have a change. I just finished the hobbit which was alright, much easier read than LOTR, and not dragged the fuck out like LOTR either, though it sounds like they done that with the hobbit movies.

And at the moment i am half way through Brian Baits "The way of the wyrd" very interesting so far
15.02.2013 - 12:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=136611] on 15.02.2013 at 10:36

I just finished the hobbit which was alright, much easier read than LOTR, and not dragged the fuck out like LOTR either,

of course that is the case since Tolkien wrote The Hobbit as a children's book for his granddaughter to enjoy
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.02.2013 - 23:24
no one
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.02.2013 at 12:14

Written by [user id=136611] on 15.02.2013 at 10:36

I just finished the hobbit which was alright, much easier read than LOTR, and not dragged the fuck out like LOTR either,

of course that is the case since Tolkien wrote The Hobbit as a children's book for his granddaughter to enjoy

yeah i definitely got the feeling it was a book for young children, but i think that actually helped out as there wasn't lots of long boring chapters about meetings on what they were about to do, and explaining the history of the land, the crappy descriptions of the land and all that boring irrelevant shit in LOTR
16.02.2013 - 01:17
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I am reading "Deepness In The Sky" by Vernon Vinge...one of the best sci-fi novels i know - NOTfaster-than-light ships, clash of two human space-traveling cultures, arachnid-like alien society, a solar system where the sun lights on and off in cycles...it also won HUGO in 1999, so its not just me
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

16.02.2013 - 11:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=136611] on 15.02.2013 at 23:24

yeah i definitely got the feeling it was a book for young children, but i think that actually helped out as there wasn't lots of long boring chapters about meetings on what they were about to do, and explaining the history of the land, the crappy descriptions of the land and all that boring irrelevant shit in LOTR

or page long descriptions of what the doors look like that they are about to open. LotR would have been a lot better had Tolkien got to the point more often. It could easily fit into 1 to 1.5 volumes instead of the three. Most of the stuff he writes about is indeed totally irrelevant for LotR
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.02.2013 - 16:45
Vombatus
Potorro
Got a copy of Only Death Is Real: An Illustrated History of Hellhammer and Early Celtic Frost 1981-1985 the other day and I'm quite enjoying it. Still at the beginning but the level of detail is really nice !
19.02.2013 - 17:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Vombatus on 19.02.2013 at 16:45

Got a copy of Only Death Is Real: An Illustrated History of Hellhammer and Early Celtic Frost 1981-1985 the other day and I'm quite enjoying it. Still at the beginning but the level of detail is really nice !

Got it at Roadburn 2010 and had it signed by Tom G. Warrior right there and then It is is afun read and love the pictures in it, especially the one of skinny Tom with his skateboard.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.02.2013 - 17:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

btw, is it the hard cover version?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.02.2013 - 00:41
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.02.2013 at 17:53

Got it at Roadburn 2010 and had it signed by Tom G. Warrior right there and then It is is afun read and love the pictures in it, especially the one of skinny Tom with his skateboard.

yeah the pics are great, I love the progressive transformation from Grave Hill looking to be more extreme....

Also, it's hard cover but not signed
15.03.2013 - 18:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=35732] on 15.03.2013 at 17:51

CF book ordered.

'Murder in the Front Row' might be fun.

Any experiences?

All I know is that it's a photo book.
But I do still need to get it.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.05.2013 - 06:11
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I went for a short trip with my friends, bivouacked for 2.5 days and read this incredible book. I am almost finishing it up.

13.11.2013 - 13:48
angel.
Evil Butterfly
The saddest and at the same time great thing that you can read in a cloudy day is probably the biography of Emily Bronte, damn.
----
The Fangirl.
14.11.2013 - 02:24
SilentScream
Blasphemer
Started reading Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

It's the first fantasy novel I've read in years, but so far it's great. A very ambitious and rich world (maybe too ambitious?), very well written.
14.11.2013 - 23:11
Vombatus
Potorro
I've been doubting whether to start the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.... Mainly coz I'm scarred I get too sucked in by it, and considering how many books there are, the consequences wouldn't be positive Already happened with the Song of Ice and Fire, but I did have a lot of free time at that moment and the series is considerably shorter so.... Must resist buying the first book
15.11.2013 - 09:25
no one
Account deleted
Bernard Cornwell - The Last Kingdom

Really good when he was growing up with the Danes, then kind of sped through the last era a bit too fast. Looking forward to the following books.
15.11.2013 - 09:39
angel.
Evil Butterfly
I already finished Moby-Dick, this one is well-known so I guess there is no need to say that it is about voyage of Ahab and his crews for hunting the big white whale named Moby-Dick, but reading the whole book has its own privileges,
and I'm not finished with Sound and Fury by William Faulkner yet, almost I reached middle of the book where Jason starts talking,
soon I should start Scarlet Letter.
----
The Fangirl.
02.01.2014 - 18:41
Mercyful_Kate
Written by [user id=136611] on 15.11.2013 at 09:25

Really good when he was growing up with the Danes, then kind of sped through the last era a bit too fast. Looking forward to the following books.

Great series. Uhtred is a pretty badass character. Cornwell does a great job weaving his really cool fictitious characters into a fairly accurate history of Anglo-Saxon England.
02.01.2014 - 23:11
no one
Account deleted
Written by Mercyful_Kate on 02.01.2014 at 18:41

Written by [user id=136611] on 15.11.2013 at 09:25

Great series. Uhtred is a pretty badass character. Cornwell does a great job weaving his really cool fictitious characters into a fairly accurate history of Anglo-Saxon England.

yeah i just finished "the pale horseman" and am just about to go to the library to get "lords of the north"
I never knew the story of king Alfred, pretty amazing stuff. I'm always amazed when i read the bit at the end how much of the story and the events actually happened
08.11.2014 - 02:19
Zap
I recommend everyone who likes sci fi to read Ancillary Justice. It won a fuck ton of awards (not that I care, but it's impressive; first book to win Hugo, Nebula and Arthur C. Clarke awards apparently) and I'm currently reading the sequel. It's definitely a pretty unique novel.
12.11.2014 - 03:29
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin

A look into the crazy history of Paraguay set against adventures in the modern day - the author stayed here both during Stroessner's reign as well as post-dictatorship.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.11.2014 - 05:01
no one
Account deleted
Richard laymon - beast house

i'm over richard laymon but it was the best thing i could find on my book shelf, besides richard laymon is an easy read which you can just about guarantee sex and gore.
24.12.2014 - 15:52
SelfXPlanetOrE
"The Tin Drum" by Gunter Grass

It's the memoirs of this man who used to play on a tin drum as a kid. He details the adventures of him and his friends and family he had in the city Danzig before being put in an insane asylum in Nazi Germany. It is very long and slow for the most part, so you should really only read it if you're patient with so much excess story.
29.12.2014 - 22:11
no one
Account deleted
Just finished "The Ritual" by Adam Nevill

A group of mate reunite by going for a hike through a scandinavian forest, when they take a short cut and get lost, then start getting tormented by a faceless monster.

I can't reveal too much but it has norse mythology and church burning black metalers in the mix as well, really enjoyed this book.
08.01.2015 - 08:04
no one
Account deleted
Annihilation - Jeff Vander meer

Area X is a pristine untouched environment that no one knows much about or how it became, when they send people in to study the place they go crazy killing each other, come back as a different person, or commit suicide.
This is a journal of an anthropologist sent there in latest of expeditions to help suss the place out.

This was a trippy book that i kind of got frustrated with because of all the mystery, but i couldn't stop reading it and a'm glad i didn't

edit: i read the second book too "Authority" DO NOT READ THIS BOOK! it really really sucks ass
09.03.2015 - 00:40
no one
Account deleted
The Keeper - Sarah langhan

Pretty impressive for a first novel. Good horror, small shitty depressed town turn to shit after the local paper mill closing down. Everyone seems to be mind fucked from a whore that lives there, haunts there dreams talks to there minds...the rest is spoiler
12.04.2015 - 02:15
no one
Account deleted

Really enjoyed this book! this chick is an amazing writer. It's about a journalist who goes back to her screwed up home town to do a story about two murdered girls.

now reading Into the Wild

I think most of us no the story to this one, a guy from a well to do family cuts up his credit card, gives away his money to charity then takes off into the wild.
I liked the movie and thought i'd get some more insight by reading the book as i know hollywood tends to glamorize or change things from the real events.
Already i'm kind of looking at this guy with a different perspective.