Metal Storm logo
Bands you wouldn't have thought are on MS

19.09.2017 - 19:26
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
After the addition of Swans to MS, I've been thinking what are some bands you are surprised to see are featured on this website, likely non-metal ones. A lot of these have been getting very few traction, understandably. Perhaps this thread can give them a bit of traffic.

Some examples include:

Foetus
The Who
Jethro Tull
The Doors
Rites Of Spring
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
19.09.2017 - 19:52
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
I've always kinda understood that nonmetal bands included on here are either side projects from musicians who also play metal (Aderlating, Afsprengi Satans, Gravetemple, etc) or ones that have been influential towards the development of metal (King Crimson, for example). It's cool to see some bands on here though that kinda fall outside of those two general rules, like Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mogwai, Arktau Eos, and some others.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
19.09.2017 - 19:58
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Auntie Sahar on 19.09.2017 at 19:52

I've always kinda understood that nonmetal bands included on here are either side projects from musicians who also play metal (Aderlating, Afsprengi Satans, Gravetemple, etc) or ones that have been influential towards the development of metal (King Crimson, for example). It's cool to see some bands on here though that kinda fall outside of those two general rules, like Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mogwai, Arktau Eos, and some others.

Yes, but you also got really important bands for genres related to metal, like noise (Merzbow), neofolk (Sol Invictus, Current 93, Death In June) and hardcore (Black Flag, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Embrace, Void).
----
19.09.2017 - 20:01
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
You also got oddities like darkwave Clan Of Xymox and Diary Of Dreams
----
19.09.2017 - 20:03
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by RaduP on 19.09.2017 at 20:01

Yeah it's really nice that our community tolerates a bunch of stuff like this on here and considers the question of "is it relevant to metal?" before "is it actually metal"? That's probably a reflection of the fact that so many on here have wide tastes in nonmetal music, thankfully
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
19.09.2017 - 20:11
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Auntie Sahar on 19.09.2017 at 20:03

Written by RaduP on 19.09.2017 at 20:01

Yeah it's really nice that our community tolerates a bunch of stuff like this on here and considers the question of "is it relevant to metal?" before "is it actually metal"? That's probably a reflection of the fact that so many on here have wide tastes in nonmetal music, thankfully

Of course, it's great to have discussion on these bands outside of the general music forums, which aren't as frequented. Metal is a genre with a very wide reach and a lot of relations and influences to and from other genres.
----
19.09.2017 - 20:13
Netzach
Planewalker
Staff
Lots of 70's prog bands (or bands influenced by that era) on MS. Phideaux for instance is a modern symphonic/prog rock group with no historical significance to metal. I don't mind though.
19.09.2017 - 22:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Mainly non metal bands was add because of some staffer wrote review, and as far I know, that rule still are here, unless its not MS awards, but I doubt there will be so many such bands in MS.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.09.2017 - 13:59
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Looking at the bands named here that are on MS, maybe I should get around to adding Neptune Towers and Star Of Ash to the suggestions page.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
21.09.2017 - 14:28
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by M C Vice on 21.09.2017 at 13:59

Looking at the bands named here that are on MS, maybe I should get around to adding Neptune Towers and Star Of Ash to the suggestions page.

No reason not to
----
21.09.2017 - 14:28
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff

No reason not to
----
21.09.2017 - 14:32
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Netzach on 19.09.2017 at 20:13

Lots of 70's prog bands (or bands influenced by that era) on MS. Phideaux for instance is a modern symphonic/prog rock group with no historical significance to metal. I don't mind though.

Prog rock is also quite odd with stuff like Gordian Knot, Gazpacho, The Flower Kings, Spock's Beard and Neal Morse, and a lot of those 80s neo-prog like Marillion, IQ and Saga, heck even Journey.
----
21.09.2017 - 18:46
Netzach
Planewalker
Staff
Written by RaduP on 21.09.2017 at 14:32

Prog rock is also quite odd with stuff like Gordian Knot, Gazpacho, The Flower Kings, Spock's Beard and Neal Morse, and a lot of those 80s neo-prog like Marillion, IQ and Saga, heck even Journey.

Agreed. I think it depends mainly on this: either the band straddles the line between rock and hard rock/metal and it was better to include than exclude, i.e. (Rush, Tool, Faith No More) - or they have influenced a lot of later styles of metal through their approach to songwriting, (i.e. King Crimson and Jethro Tull). Also, side projects.
21.09.2017 - 22:14
Doge of Venice
I've always found it weird that Major Parkinson were on here. But at the same time if I hadn't seen the recommendation I would never have discovered them.
23.09.2017 - 06:10
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by RaduP on 21.09.2017 at 14:28

No reason not to

Put both there. Bit harsh that bands must have a website, though. None exist for Neptune Towers.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
24.09.2017 - 22:25
FYA
Destroyer
Hocico, Blutengel :V
01.10.2017 - 19:05
Kamil
Account deleted
Good topic.

Maybe thanks to you glorious Queen will finally have their place on this site as well. Their influence for both rock and metal music is more, than unquestionable.
Their last albums - especially "Innuendo" - were actually pure heavy / power metal.
04.10.2017 - 16:58
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by [user id=29268] on 01.10.2017 at 19:05

Good topic.

Maybe thanks to you glorious Queen will finally have their place on this site as well. Their influence for both rock and metal music is more, than unquestionable.
Their last albums - especially "Innuendo" - were actually pure heavy / power metal.

None of their albums are metal but they got plenty of songs that are
----
04.10.2017 - 18:00
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Early Queen was heavy enough to warrant their inclusion on this site. (And they were here, for like a week)

Rob Halford himself said that Queen were a great heavy metal band.
05.10.2017 - 02:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I disagree Queen does not belong here, few heavy songs its all, from 70's but many are pop songs. Not MS band, IMO its in black listed
----

05.10.2017 - 05:30
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 05.10.2017 at 02:10

I disagree Queen does not belong here, few heavy songs its all, from 70's but many are pop songs. Not MS band, IMO its in black listed

Yeah, I agree. They had a slight influence on some of the earlier metal bands, but not big enough to add them to a site like MS. Then again, we have Death In June for literally no fucking reason at all (although I am glad they are here because I like their music)
05.10.2017 - 15:10
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I think the band I'm most surprised by would be Arditi. Not only because they have nothing to do with metal but since they have covers like this, I mean.... what with the whole NS policy and all...
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
05.10.2017 - 16:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Karlabos on 05.10.2017 at 15:10

I think the band I'm most surprised by would be Arditi. Not only because they have nothing to do with metal but since they have covers like this, I mean.... what with the whole NS policy and all...

http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=5745

band was add by Jeff for review purpose and in those days it was strictly between staffers discussion what can and can not be add into MS; old days rules and all was stricter as it is now!
----