Metal Storm logo
Retards Attend Trivium/Maiden Gig

Original post

Posted by -tom-, 23.12.2006 - 20:22
A BLABBERMOUTH.NET visitor by the name of George Byron-Roberts has submitted the following report:

"TRIVIUM frontman Matt Heafy interrupted the band's set [as the support act for IRON MAIDEN] at Earl's Court, London last night [Friday, Dec. 22] to chide members of the audience after being subjected to a barrage of urine-filled balloons and bottles. Heafy and bassist Paolo Gregoletto were showered with urine during their performance of 'Like Light to the Flies'. Heafy angrily declared that the act was 'really wrong' and that if he saw anyone throwing things at the band he would see that they were 'thrown the $#@* out" and 'beaten the $#@* up.'

"The left hand side of the stage had been rowdy with fervent disapproval for TRIVIUM and their frontman from the beginning of their set, the band being lambasted with cries of 'death to false metal' between each of their songs; and throughout the set there was a constant exchange of rude gestures between Heafy and the antagonists. An attempt to block the missiles with a U.S. flag was shouted down by British fans, who angrily turned on the American fans, a group of young men and women who had travelled all the way from the USA to see TRIVIUM perform.

"Heafy's polemic (after battling through the rest of the song) lasted almost five minutes. However IRON MAIDEN frontman Bruce Dickinson was unusually quiet about the event, preferring to focus his rant on the safety of fans at the front of the crowd and the horrors of war."

i think this is retarded. to be honest im disgusted that people feel that they are "metal" because they threw piss-filled balloons at an uncool band. it's on a par with townie's going around throwing stuff at metallers.

so congratualtions to these idiots for being such stupid, worthless cunts. i hope they got thrown out and missed maiden's set. Getting thrown out of an expensive concert before seeing the main band because you're retarded would be totally metal.
25.12.2006 - 22:59
RavenLord
Written by Xtreme Jax on 25.12.2006 at 15:23

Here in Australia, piss is also a slang word for alcohol (beer in most cases)... Do you reckon that this is what Matt meant at all?

It's probable that Heafy simply used 'piss' as a term for the bottle in general. If he had said, 'Don't throw that shit up here' (meaning 'shit' as slang for 'stuff'), it wouldn't have meant someone had thrown feces at them.

In other words, some over-excited fan got the wrong end of the stick and posted it on Blabbermouth.

Moral of the story: Blabbermouth is about as much a reliable source of news as my right finger is for predicting weather.
----
26.12.2006 - 00:37
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Written by RavenLord on 25.12.2006 at 22:59

Written by Xtreme Jax on 25.12.2006 at 15:23

Here in Australia, piss is also a slang word for alcohol (beer in most cases)... Do you reckon that this is what Matt meant at all?

It's probable that Heafy simply used 'piss' as a term for the bottle in general. If he had said, 'Don't throw that shit up here' (meaning 'shit' as slang for 'stuff'), it wouldn't have meant someone had thrown feces at them.

In other words, some over-excited fan got the wrong end of the stick and posted it on Blabbermouth.

Moral of the story: Blabbermouth is about as much a reliable source of news as my right finger is for predicting weather.

Or as reliable as using Mc Donald's food for a diet scheme.

But I can't imagine the crowd throwing any kind of excrement at the performers.

Bruce should have just left. Trivium deserved this treatment, they give metal a bad name.
26.12.2006 - 05:06
Eternal Flames
Well I really hate Trivium, but despite that, I still think that this was a very disgusting act. Now, as already mentioned, Blabbermouth aren't a very reliable source, and from other members' posts in this forum who attended this show, it goes to show that this article is highly exaggerated and also incorrect. Anyway, I really don't like Trivium, but I still strongly believe that the fan(s) who were involved with throwing what Heafy presumed to be piss onto the stage was very inappropriate. As much as I don't care for Trivium, I'm just looking at it in terms of respect as a whole. To get a bit off topic here, when Iron Maiden were egged at Ozzfest last year, pretty much everyone on this forum defended Iron Maiden and said how disrespectful it was. Now when a similar act occurs to a band that most dislike, it's not disrespectful this time, but more that Trivium now deserved it.

As I said, I really couldn't care less for Trivium. But some people really need to learn some manners. The "death to false metal" chants would have been funny, but throwing piss (if that's what it really was), is just disgraceful no matter at what artist it is. But not only is it disrespectful to the artist, but also to other fans as well. People that paid to go see that show had to put up with these fucktards.
26.12.2006 - 15:35
RavenLord
Written by Eternal Flames on 26.12.2006 at 05:06

As I said, I really couldn't care less for Trivium. But some people really need to learn some manners. The "death to false metal" chants would have been funny, but throwing piss (if that's what it really was), is just disgraceful no matter at what artist it is. But not only is it disrespectful to the artist, but also to other fans as well. People that paid to go see that show had to put up with these fucktards.

I'll play the devil's advocate here; all the Maiden fans had to put up with Matt Heafy demanding mosh pits for their set...given the average maturity of a Trivium fan, it's likely someone would have gone down if they had continued during Maiden's set. While I don't agree with bottling bands, Trivium are not exactly 100% innocent in this affair, what with their attitude towards themselves and the immaturity of most of their fans. Even so, piss is taking it a bit far. But 'Death to false metal' is plain hilarious. Now, why didn't I think of chanting that.....
----
27.12.2006 - 01:36
Eternal Flames
Written by RavenLord on 26.12.2006 at 15:35

Written by Eternal Flames on 26.12.2006 at 05:06

I'll play the devil's advocate here; all the Maiden fans had to put up with Matt Heafy demanding mosh pits for their set...given the average maturity of a Trivium fan, it's likely someone would have gone down if they had continued during Maiden's set. While I don't agree with bottling bands, Trivium are not exactly 100% innocent in this affair, what with their attitude towards themselves and the immaturity of most of their fans. Even so, piss is taking it a bit far. But 'Death to false metal' is plain hilarious. Now, why didn't I think of chanting that.....

I agree with you that Trivium aren't 100% innocent in this event, but all I"m trying to say is innocent or not, no band should have to put up with crowd members throwing piss bottles at them. The "death to false metal" chants were indeed hilarious, and I have no problem with the crowd doing that, but throwing piss bottles is just immature and inappropriate. Furthermore, not all Trivium fans are immature. Yes, their fan base mostly consists of teenagers, but that doesn't instantly make them immature. I'm sure that there were a few fans there that just came to enjoy the whole show and just listen to the music, and it was ruined for them. All I'm trying to get to is that the fan surpassed the limit when he threw the bottle of piss on stage. But of course, I may be wrong, because the article does seem heavily over exaggerated.