Metal Storm logo
Wyrd

01.08.2006 - 12:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
well, many people know this porject of Narqath of course:

here is a small biography taken from Rockdetector.com:

Hyvinkää based WYRD is another set of outings from the industrious Narqath (a.k.a. 'Godslayer Vassago' or under his real name Tomi Kalliola) of HIN ONDE, AZAGHAL, CALM, HELLKULT, OATH OF CIRION, SVARTALFHEIM and VALAR. WYRD was first assembled during 1997 as HELLKULT by Narqath and drummer Kalma (Ville Pallonen) of AZAGHAL. This combo published three demos, 'Christian Holocaust' in 1997, 'Hail War!' and 'Of Pure Heathen Blood' both in 1998. With Kalma's departure, Narqath opted to pursue the project further, re-branded as WYRD.

WYRD issued the opening demo 'Unchained Heathen Wrath' through Dragonthrone Productions, restricted to 400 copies, in early 2000. A cassette version was released in March by Chanteloup Creations, restricted to just 200 copies. 'Songs Of The Northern Gale' followed in March 2000 with 'Of Revenge And Bloodstained Swords' delivered in February 2001. The 'Heathen' album, published by Millenium Metal Music in September 2001 and restricted to 900 copies, comprised solely of one 50 minute track. 'Huldrafolk' emerged in 2002. Desolate Landscapes released the compilation 'Wrath And Revenge', limited to 500 copies, in February 2003. Perish In Light issued the album 'Den Onda Pesten' from another Kalliola project dubbed SVARTKRAFT in 2004.

The German label Solistitium Records issued the WYRD 'Vargtimmen' ("Wolf hour") sessions in two parts during 2003 and April 2004.

Wyrd has released the following albums demos etc:
Unchained Heathen Wrath Demo, 2000
Songs of the Northern Gale Demo, 2000
Of Revenge and Bloodstained Swords Demo, 2001
Heathen Full-length, 2001
Huldrafolk Full-length, 2002
Wrath & Revenge Best of/Compilation, 2003
Vargtimmen pt.I Full-length, 2003
Vargtimmen Pt. II Full-length, 2004
Rota Full-length, 2005
The Ghost Album Full-length, 2006
Tuonela EP, 2006

Okay, now what am I getting at with all this...
as you all know Wyrd plays a mixture of folk and black metal with lots of nature elements in it... (haven't heard Rota yet, but judging fromt he cover art it will prbably be like that too)
So last weekend I bumped into The Ghost Album and bought it without listenign to it first. I got home put it on and was IMMENSELY disappointed. First I thought that the record store had put another cd in the jewelcase by mistake, but unfortunatekly that wasn't the case.
So... what I got now was very ordinary uninventive metal with riffs that were done by Paradise Lost on Shades of God, Icon, and Draconian Times. The riffs sounded like PL rip-offs. Okay, objectively speaking the new Wyrd album isn't bad, but when you compare it to for example Huldrafolk and the Vargtimmen albums The Ghost Album is a huge huge huge letdown.

So, what do you people who have heard all Wyrd's stuff think?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.08.2006 - 14:21
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Oooo you beat me to it, i was thinking of making this thread.

Definately a great band, love their albums Heathen and Vargtimmen I and II. Fave song by them at the moment is The Pale And The Dead. I havent heard the Ghost Album yet, and although you were dissapointed with it, ill still have to buy/download it and make my own judgement.
01.08.2006 - 14:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=5399] on 01.08.2006 at 14:21

Oooo you beat me to it, i was thinking of making this thread.

Definately a great band, love their albums Heathen and Vargtimmen I and II. Fave song by them at the moment is The Pale And The Dead. I havent heard the Ghost Album yet, and although you were dissapointed with it, ill still have to buy/download it and make my own judgement.

Of course buy/download it to make your own judgement, okay, so I was disappointed by it but maybe other people won't be disappointed.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.08.2006 - 14:32
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Of course i will, but a lot of people, including myself prejudge albums when someone says its bad
01.08.2006 - 21:08
Odosha
Account deleted
Well.. it is an excellent band, they have some sounds increibles... really an excellent band. I have not listened the last album and I expect that surprise me as has always done it...
just with the cover
31.08.2006 - 17:32
Basso
Account deleted
Oh totally missed this thread. I really love the albums Heathen (being my absolute fav) and Song of the Northern Gales (veery drudkh'isch sound )
31.08.2006 - 19:25
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
I wasn't disspointed at all with "The Ghost Album"... didn't like it at first listen but I was on a hellish mood, but I had learned to love it, its sound is more defined than the previous stuff...

My favourite album by WYRD is "Vargtimmen II", "The Ghost Album2 comes close next.
03.01.2007 - 16:11
Kurzag
Account deleted
Well, Wyrd is one of my favourite BM bands. My favourite album is Huldrafolk, much beacuse the song Aijeke is on it.
03.01.2007 - 17:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I like this band its lil bit more how pure BM, ewery song what I hera its something whit elements and atmosfere and IMO thay are one of bets BM band from Finland, even in Fonland arent so much BM bands what we can recognise even thos ewho are not into BM and tthis band arev so amazing and great

But only album what i had are ''The Ghoust Album'' others are RIP whit my old pc
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.05.2007 - 01:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
This band gonna realise new ulbum in this yera it calls 'Kammen'
here are track list

01. Hounds of the Falls ... 10:15
02. Cold in the Earth ... 04:52
03. October ... 07:27
04. Empty Rooms ... 05:47
05. Kammen ... 05:31
06. The Last Time ... 06:48
07. Rajalla ... 17:53
08. Soulburn ... 06:32
*09. I Break (Katatonia cover) ... 04:24

http://vargtimmen.cjb.net/
Band offical home page you can get one song mp3 now
It calls 'October' I listen in once, ist something accustic too, great song
----

apos;'
[image]
19.08.2008 - 00:30
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
I absolutely adore the Huldrafolk album, fantastic pagan black metal. The raw production combined with some melancholic tunes and use of accoustic guitar and keyboards work extremely well in this release.

Actually for years I've been searching for some other bands/albums that sound similar (very similar actually) so I was wondering if anyone could suggest something? I'm talking raw production with clear, sombre guitar tone, ethnic instruments, guttural vocals etc. You know what I mean.

I've not particularly enjoyed their later releases but Narqath has a project that's designed for fans of older Wyrd which is actually quite good called Rutonkantaja and he offers his demo completely free on his myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/rutonkantaja1155
19.08.2008 - 00:51
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Bad English on 08.05.2007 at 01:02

*09. I Break (Katatonia cover) ... 04:24

I love that cover song.

I've listened to Rota for the last three nights in a row. Playing an album that often is rare for me. I haven't heard all their material yet, but I still haven't come across something I didn't like.
19.08.2008 - 22:13
TheBigRossowski
Not a big fan, sorry, just thought I'd comment about that. Maybe I've over looked something, but the last time I listened to it, didn't really grab me.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
27.02.2009 - 15:20
Krankheit
Account deleted
Fuck! Wyrd is gonna release a new album and I haven't noticed that until now. Listened to the new track on their myspace. Good to hear that they are moving to the older wyrd sound.
28.04.2009 - 07:58
mortjoyeux
Ahh Wyrd is too good, I can put them on no problem and relax entirely before bed. Same with Drowning the Light.
I love Heathen and Ravenhill has to be one of their best songs. So atmospheric.
06.06.2009 - 00:31
Krankheit
Account deleted
Listening to the new album right now, and its much better than Kammen. One of the best albums of 2009 I've heard so far.
08.06.2009 - 05:46
FOOCK Nam
I love the October song, other song with great lyric is My Ghost, which is very cool song
08.06.2009 - 11:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Newer Wyrd is pretty terrible, they haven't made anything decent in a while. Theres a band called Häive who play that style far better. I advise you to check out their full length.
02.11.2010 - 18:10
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
Written by [user id=4365] on 08.06.2009 at 11:37

Newer Wyrd is pretty terrible, they haven't made anything decent in a while. Theres a band called Häive who play that style far better. I advise you to check out their full length.

Latest Album wasn't very strong at all. First four are great.
----
Ah... Girl look at that body, Ah... I work out
02.11.2010 - 18:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Prugor on 02.11.2010 at 18:10

Latest Album wasn't very strong at all. First four are great.

Don't think I've actually listened to the Vargtimmen albums, at least not for a good half-decade or so.
12.11.2010 - 23:30
The Turbanator
I love this band. Will definitely get their new album.

The Ghost Album, Heathen and Tuonela are brilliant releases. My personal favorite song is Ominous Insomnia.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
13.11.2010 - 05:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
But no, yes and no. Sorry to be an ass but I'm drunk and The Ghost Album isn't a brilliant release (though it's not a bad one); it's a Katatonia wannabe record. Wyrd's brilliant records are limited to Heathen (as you said) and the almighty Huldrafolk and nothing more. And Huldrafolk is at least twice as good as Heathen, even though it's still a great album.
15.11.2010 - 10:58
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
The first song off of Huldrafolk is pretty fucking epic.
----
Ah... Girl look at that body, Ah... I work out
15.11.2010 - 21:34
The Turbanator
Written by [user id=4365] on 13.11.2010 at 05:42

But no, yes and no. Sorry to be an ass but I'm drunk and The Ghost Album isn't a brilliant release (though it's not a bad one); it's a Katatonia wannabe record. Wyrd's brilliant records are limited to Heathen (as you said) and the almighty Huldrafolk and nothing more. And Huldrafolk is at least twice as good as Heathen, even though it's still a great album.

You gotta excuse me. I never listened to Katatonia before, and I don'thave Huldrafolk. I'll get it soon ;-)
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
15.11.2010 - 21:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 15.11.2010 at 21:34

You gotta excuse me. I never listened to Katatonia before, and I don'thave Huldrafolk. I'll get it soon ;-)

That was pretty rude of me up there, I was drinking though =P Yeah get Huldrafolk if you can, is a bit different from their current stuff; it's quite raw but equally melodic. As for Katatonia 'Brave Murder Day' is something everyone should listen to, you might notice a few similarities to newer Wyrd.
15.11.2010 - 22:43
The Turbanator
Written by [user id=4365] on 15.11.2010 at 21:50

Written by The Turbanator on 15.11.2010 at 21:34

That was pretty rude of me up there, I was drinking though =P Yeah get Huldrafolk if you can, is a bit different from their current stuff; it's quite raw but equally melodic. As for Katatonia 'Brave Murder Day' is something everyone should listen to, you might notice a few similarities to newer Wyrd.

Haha no worries man, it's allright. Yeah I'm getting Huldrafolk soon, probably by end of this week. Isn't Katatonia (correct me if I'm wrong) something like Kalmah? They play melo-death don't they? or is it Catamenia?
----
15.11.2010 - 23:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 15.11.2010 at 22:43

Haha no worries man, it's allright. Yeah I'm getting Huldrafolk soon, probably by end of this week. Isn't Katatonia (correct me if I'm wrong) something like Kalmah? They play melo-death don't they? or is it Catamenia?

Heh, nah Katatonia are a doom-death band, or rather they were around the Brave Murder Day era. These days they're more melancholic rock. I think Catamenia are melo-black, has been a while since I listened to them, if I ever have.
20.11.2021 - 12:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
The Devil's Elixirs Records

Glad to announce that we will release few WYRD albums on vinyl for the first time ever. Seems like not earlier than 2023.
"Vargtimmen. Part I"
"Vargtimmen. Part II"
"Rota"
"Death Of the Sun"
"Kalivagi"

----

apos;'
[image]