Metal Storm logo
Neil Young

10.08.2011 - 01:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I swear once I saw such tread, but I cant find it, nevermind

Shood I write intrudition to his mussic? No

I like him, his muisc, way of life,attutude, feels like old west, cowboys, ''old good'' days never dies, interestimng artist and singer, whit some 30 studio albums. great sucsess un contry / rock , realy great artist
My fav songs are Old Man, Like A Huricanne, Hey Hey My My , Downtown, Freeword , I like all songs

I have quasten to you ( I didnt want open a poll, it would lil be hard to duscuss his talant and artist and work)
What is your fav Neil era
Country, Folk, Accustic : 1968(Neil Young) - 1980(Hawks N Dowes)
Electropop, New wave: 1981 (Re-Act-Tor) - 1993(Everybody's Rockin')
Rock , Hard Rock , Country Rock and Grunge - Life(1988) - 1996(Broken Arrow)
Country, Accustic, Folk , Rock otherwise Beck to Roots 2000(Silver And Gold) -

Its hard put genres, each album each song can be diferent , I personaly dislike any electroppop songs, I likle classic early his works most, but also
1988-1996, but somehow his grundge and album whit Pear Jam didnt fits, to his muisc and what he are, I dont know maybe becase roots are roots most I like his old albums and works, buit dont reject(dont get me wrong I also like others(WHIT OUT ELECTROP POP on Geffins records) albums, but still If I think whaty song shood I hear I go beck in 70's ....

Last period, like I told its hard to judge whole album put genre, each song can be diferent .....

PS You also can discuss Buffalo Springfield and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young here

How about you?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.08.2011 - 02:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Horrendously overrated piece of crap musician.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.08.2011 - 02:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.08.2011 at 02:12

Say it to Jean
there is much more overated musicans how he, and even he is overated his music is good,
Deutche schlagermusik is better ?
----

12.08.2011 - 00:40
IronAngel
I only know a few albums, particularly After The Gold Rush. I don't quite understand its fame, especially since it's competing with amazing 1970 folk rock albums like Van Morrison's Moondance, Simon & Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water and Nick Drake's Bryter Layter - all of those are simply better albums.

However, I quite like his soundtrack for the film Dead Man. Ambient noodling with a Western flavor, really more reminiscent of recent Earth albums than Ennio Morricone. Those more experienced with his work, has he made other similar stuff?

15.08.2011 - 11:41
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

...Cut a brother deep, yo.

It's hard for me to say though. I doubt I'd be really into him if I heard him for the first time today, but it's just music I grew up with. "After The Gold Rush" was my Grandfathers favourite song of all time, so a lot of his music has got a lot of sentimental value for me.

On the flipside, I think he's got a lot of blind fanboy followers who conveniently overlook his shitty albums, like that God awful Trans album...

Rust Never Sleeps is probably in my top 10 non-metal albums. Saw him live a couple years back as well, surprisingly energetic show.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
05.11.2011 - 05:48
second_coming89
Account deleted

:
05.11.2011 - 23:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Marcel take a look at my life I'm a lot like yooouuuu!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.11.2011 - 17:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.11.2011 at 23:09

Lyric said something what in swedish lang be ''gammal kille''
----

20.11.2011 - 02:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Bad English on 19.11.2011 at 17:51

I literally have no idea what you're trying to say.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.11.2011 - 03:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.11.2011 at 02:46

Written by Bad English on 19.11.2011 at 17:51

I literally have no idea what you're trying to say.

Old man take a look at my life .....
----

27.03.2012 - 06:33
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Whilst i don't like a lot of his material, it is still one of the few rock bands i like hearing. Most have just faded away and i don't listen to them anymore. Jethro Tull i listen to as much as any other band i like. Neil Young, Pink Floyd, The Doors and The Who i still pull out from time to time. I mainly listen to 'Harvest' and 'Rust Never Sleeps'.

My first favourite song was "Dung Bung" (as i used to call it when i was like 6), aka 'There's A World'.
27.03.2012 - 07:03
Branzig
His old school tracks are gold, and I love his acoustic work. As a songwriter, he has great direction, and I respect that.
----
In Grind We Crust
27.03.2012 - 15:02
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.11.2011 at 23:09

Are you Implying that you dont like Neil Young?

----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
27.03.2012 - 15:36
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Boxcar Willy on 27.03.2012 at 15:02

Marcel = old man. But ya... Neil Young is pretty overrated if you ask me. "Old Man" is honestly the only song of his I enjoy.
----
27.03.2012 - 19:00
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I was listening to After The Gold Rush on vinyl this morning. I've got all of Young's 70's records on original vinyl.
----
(space for rent)
28.03.2012 - 01:30
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.03.2012 at 15:36

Written by Boxcar Willy on 27.03.2012 at 15:02

Marcel = old man. But ya... Neil Young is pretty overrated if you ask me. "Old Man" is honestly the only song of his I enjoy.

Out of plain curiosity, why do you find him overrated?

The only thing i find overrated is the sheer about of songs he has written that are boring filler. That doesn't really alter my opinion of him though. Most albums have 1-2 great songs. A lot of people hate his voice, but it is what draws me to him.
28.03.2012 - 01:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Dark Cornatus on 28.03.2012 at 01:30
Most albums have 1-2 great songs.

That's exactly it. I hear so many people talking about him as if he's some kind of musical deity but at the end of the day his entire catalog is probably only really worth one "masterpiece". He's always struck me as the kind of artist who releases new compilations every year or two with all the same songs - the hits. His non-hit material was average at best.
----
28.03.2012 - 02:56
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.03.2012 at 01:39

Written by Dark Cornatus on 28.03.2012 at 01:30
Most albums have 1-2 great songs.

That's exactly it. I hear so many people talking about him as if he's some kind of musical deity but at the end of the day his entire catalog is probably only really worth one "masterpiece". He's always struck me as the kind of artist who releases new compilations every year or two with all the same songs - the hits. His non-hit material was average at best.

Fair enough. It was a little different back then though imo when hits were important for a bands success. If he was in his prime now and doing it, it would be worse. Pretty much ALL classic rock i like or liked in the past had more filler/crap material than good songs. Today, if bands release an album purely to support 1-2 hit songs, they will get flamed and they album will not be considered good.
28.03.2012 - 02:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Dark Cornatus on 28.03.2012 at 02:56
Today, if bands release an album purely to support 1-2 hit songs, they will get flamed and they album will not be considered good.

You must not be aware of the current pop scene. Take Maroon 5's "Moves Like Jagger". Does anyone even know what other songs are on that album?
----
28.03.2012 - 03:02
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.03.2012 at 02:58

Written by Dark Cornatus on 28.03.2012 at 02:56
Today, if bands release an album purely to support 1-2 hit songs, they will get flamed and they album will not be considered good.

You must not be aware of the current pop scene. Take Maroon 5's "Moves Like Jagger". Does anyone even know what other songs are on that album?

Haha, i meant the metal most of us listen to on this site. I am well aware of the general pop scene, i wasn't really thinking of it in my post...
28.03.2012 - 03:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Dark Cornatus on 28.03.2012 at 03:02
Haha, i meant the metal most of us listen to on this site. I am well aware of the general pop scene, i wasn't really thinking of it in my post...

Ah, my bad then. Very true about filler material in metal though. Unless you've got a serious following (Maiden, Priest, Nightwish, Bodom, etc.) you can't get away with releasing a bad album with only a couple standout songs. You need every song to be above average in order for the majority of people outside your fan base to take your music seriously.

And in my case, a non-Neil fan, I don't find his material to be strong enough to entice me listening to a full album.
----
20.12.2012 - 13:07
IronAngel
So what's the MS opinion on Psychedelic Pill? It's been pretty well-received. Not sure I'm all that much into it, but there are some great jams that remind me a bit of his aforementioned soundtrack work. I mean, a 27-minute opening track on a country/rock album is pretty cool.
24.12.2012 - 04:57
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by IronAngel on 20.12.2012 at 13:07

So what's the MS opinion on Psychedelic Pill? It's been pretty well-received. Not sure I'm all that much into it, but there are some great jams that remind me a bit of his aforementioned soundtrack work. I mean, a 27-minute opening track on a country/rock album is pretty cool.

Meh, did not like his voice at all, but loved the guitar tone, so I'm kinda conflicted about it. Songwriting was excellent, simplistic as always, yet captivating. Like looking at old photos in a photobook.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS