Metal Storm logo
Lovecraft

17.05.2006 - 13:49
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
This topic is dedicated to one of the most brilliant minds ever in horror literature, Howard Phillip Lovecrat (R.I.P.), most known for the mythos he created, The Cthulhu Mythos,

what are your favourite works by him?
i enjoyed all of his works till now, but especially The Call Of Cthulhu..
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
17.05.2006 - 16:53
Damnated
Churchburner
The Call Of Cthulhu is his best book IMO, although I didn't read of all of them. What I like about Lovecraft, is that he scares you so gently.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
17.05.2006 - 18:13
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
i agree here, it's all very subtle and creates a really creepy atmosphere
----
17.05.2006 - 22:51
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
I'm currently reading The Cthulhu Mythos. Even if the way he writes is very subtle and should manage to create a scary atmosphere, it's not really working on me because everytime he describes Cthulhu, images of "Unspeakable Vault of Doom" http://www.macguff.fr/goomi/unspeakable/home.html pop in my head and the fear disappears. First time it made me smile, but it's really annoying actually
The other short stories of the book seem great too (haven't finished it yet) and I manage to enter the atmosphere more easily. I've particularly liked The Lurking Fear so far.
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...
17.06.2006 - 09:35
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I just finished reading 'The Call Of Cthulhu' while listening to Electric Wizard's 'We Live.' A wicked experience. I am definitely going to try and grab a book of his next time I get paid. By the way, several of his books are available as ebooks.

http://www.keltart.com/
----
The force will be with you, always.
25.06.2006 - 20:57
Sleep In Sorrow
Ghost Of The Sun
I have read 'The Call of Cthulhu' and really liked it. I plan on reading more of his works (his mythos with all the creatures and outer gods is very curious...) but I've been pretty busy lately.

There're also most of his works on Wikisource on Wikipedia. Or at least they were there last time I checked. (I read 'The Call of Cthulhu' there).
----
"It's not funny, my ass is on fire..."
27.06.2006 - 22:24
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
I read many stories of lovecraft, and i recmmend the one at the mountains of madness, my favorite oone, it is about an expedition to the antartic circle and they find ruins of a civilization older than the history of earth, really makeme think about ah? but i recommend too Dagon or The silver Key...amazing works
29.06.2006 - 17:48
Ruines
Account deleted
The Hound is quite good too, for a short story.
26.07.2006 - 02:51
Sleep In Sorrow
Ghost Of The Sun
I've recently read some more of his works (gods bless wikipedia!), though not the longer ones (haven't had much time). The Whisperer in Darkness and The Colour Out of Space are amazing short (less than 20 pages on MS Word) stories as well.

The Hound is one I didn't particularly like, though... in fact, I didn't like most of Lovecraft's works out of the Cthulhu Mythos (though I haven't read the Dream Cycle stories, they seem to be awesome, though, and I'm waiting until I have enough time). Poe had done the macabre stories thing before and a lot better. What Lovecraft had best was his imagination (non-euclidian geometries, great old ones, outer gods, fungoid alien races, I mean, wow) and those stories pretty much lack that.
Maybe the same could be said about his Dream Cycle stories, since he admitted using Lord Dunsany (whose stories I also plan on reading, when I get the time, that is) as inspiration. But since I haven't read either yet, that's a spot I'm not touching.

BTW, the Unspeakable Vault of Doom is amazing.
----
26.07.2006 - 03:56
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
My friend told me that he died of a rare cancer in his rips, is true? i think it was a curse
26.07.2006 - 13:28
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by Sleep In Sorrow on 26.07.2006 at 02:51

The Hound is one I didn't particularly like, though...

do you mean the hounds of tindalos or is "the hound" another story?

currently reading at the mountain of madness btw
----
26.07.2006 - 18:49
Ruines
Account deleted
The Hound is a short story by lovecraft and contrary to what "Sleep in Sorrow" said, it's part of the cthulhu mythos. It's an easy read, with good atmosphere and a good ending. I agree it's not his best work since other novels by him can be far more complex but i still enjoyed it.
27.07.2006 - 21:15
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
at the mountains of madness is amazing...
27.07.2006 - 21:56
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
Written by Sleep In Sorrow on 26.07.2006 at 02:51

BTW, the Unspeakable Vault of Doom is amazing.

Yes but better discover the comic after reading the Cthulhu Mythos

Planning to get the Dream Cycle stories.
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...
29.07.2006 - 06:31
Sleep In Sorrow
Ghost Of The Sun
Sure, there's the mentioning of the Necronomicon by that Mad Arab dude, but that's the only Cthulhu Mythos element there. Overall, IMO, it resembles more a simple macabre story than a mythos one.

@Bas2: we're referring to a short story called The Hound (http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Hound). The Hounds of Tindalos seem to only be slightly mentioned on one story by Lovecraft. A shame, though, the idea of beasts that come out of corners is really interesting.

@Sekhmet: Fhtagn?

@TeZCaTLiPoCa: it seems he died of intestine cancer. All the good people die of cancer, it seems. :/
----
29.07.2006 - 11:57
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by Sleep In Sorrow on 29.07.2006 at 06:31

The Hounds of Tindalos seem to only be slightly mentioned on one story by Lovecraft. A shame, though, the idea of beasts that come out of corners is really interesting.

i also have a whole short story about it, but on second thought i think it´s from another author, it´s from a compilation of stories from writers who continued Lovecraft´s Cthulhu Mythos, if you want i can find out who wrote it for you
----
30.07.2006 - 01:22
Ruines
Account deleted
Written by Sleep In Sorrow on 29.07.2006 at 06:31

Sure, there's the mentioning of the Necronomicon by that Mad Arab dude, but that's the only Cthulhu Mythos element there. Overall, IMO, it resembles more a simple macabre story than a mythos one.

Well what i meant was that it's a story that is part of the Cthulhu mythos work of HP. I have the 2 first (out of 3) volumes of the lovecraft works collection and The Hound is mentionned as part of the mythos. I gotta agree tought that there's not much "Cthulhu-ian" elements to the story.

One thing i really like about lovecraft is that movies inspired by his work are always so much better than stephen king's horror movies ..... well imo anyway
06.08.2006 - 17:54
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I read "what the moon brings", "the thing on the doorstep" last week. Im reading "the whisperer in darkness" now. I really loved "the thing on the doorstep", specially the final page, brilliant.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
17.08.2007 - 14:27
Stalker
Lone wanderer
I just saw the movie "The Unnamable Returns" - which is based on Lovecrafts's story , and i can tell you its bad. really bad. I think i dont wanna see such movies anymore, ill stick with the original.

I think even I could do it better... Its probably so bad because all of his stories are based on naration and awesome description which is known for - and the movie is just dialogue with no colorfull description or details at all. And I think such film should be in made as late19th century / early 20 century - not modern times, but anyway....
----
28.06.2012 - 18:16
Oaken
Hipster
I downloaded his full collection as an iPad ebook yesterday, and since then, I've been addicted to it. I read four short stories (From best to worst IMO, although they're all amazing): Dagon, Polaris, Beyond The Wall Of Sleep and The Tomb. Very creepy, and they cover some really interesting concepts.
DAGON FTW!!!
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
15.07.2012 - 23:06
@gent_-_orange
Written by Oaken on 28.06.2012 at 18:16

I downloaded his full collection as an iPad ebook yesterday, and since then, I've been addicted to it. I read four short stories (From best to worst IMO, although they're all amazing): Dagon, Polaris, Beyond The Wall Of Sleep and The Tomb. Very creepy, and they cover some really interesting concepts.
DAGON FTW!!!

Have you read At the Mountains of Madness yet? its his best IMO, I wont spoil it for you so ill say no more
16.07.2012 - 00:17
Oaken
Hipster
Written by @gent_-_orange on 15.07.2012 at 23:06

Have you read At the Mountains of Madness yet? its his best IMO, I wont spoil it for you so ill say no more

No, not yet.
----
16.07.2012 - 01:17
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I downloaded his full collection as an iPad ebook yesterday, and since then, I've been addicted to it.

I also own pretty much his full collection but I haven't read that much. It's a bit... heavy hahahahahaha.

One of the best xmas presents ever from my sis.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
16.07.2012 - 01:37
@gent_-_orange
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.07.2012 at 01:17

I downloaded his full collection as an iPad ebook yesterday, and since then, I've been addicted to it.

I also own pretty much his full collection but I haven't read that much. It's a bit... heavy hahahahahaha.

Its a great book, but whoever decided to put the sticker on the back of it (at least were I ordered it from) deserves to be fed to a shoggoth. But yeah, Lovecraft is immense.
16.07.2012 - 01:45
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by @gent_-_orange on 16.07.2012 at 01:37
Its a great book, but whoever decided to put the sticker on the back of it (at least were I ordered it from) deserves to be fed to a shoggoth. But yeah, Lovecraft is immense.

Ouch! Was it that kind of sticker you know it will totally fuck up the book? Mine was sticker-free.
----
Rod, let me love you.
16.07.2012 - 01:56
@gent_-_orange
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.07.2012 at 01:45

Ouch! Was it that kind of sticker you know it will totally fuck up the book? Mine was sticker-free.

Yep, peeling it off has left a large patch on the back of it, that really pissed me off, but the books content is excellent and that's what matters I guess.
16.07.2012 - 03:05
Oaken
Hipster
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.07.2012 at 01:17

I would seriously get my hands on that
The iPad collection is pretty meh compared to this
----
16.07.2012 - 10:55
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by @gent_-_orange on 16.07.2012 at 01:56

Yep, peeling it off has left a large patch on the back of it, that really pissed me off, but the books content is excellent and that's what matters I guess.

Nah, everyone knows that the cover is all that matters! fuck words!
----
Rod, let me love you.
15.08.2012 - 05:10
Oaken
Hipster
I'm trying to write something similar to Lovecraft:
http://talesofthemorbid.blogspot.com/
I would appreciate some feedback.
----
21.05.2022 - 21:38
F3ynman
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
I've read Call of Cthulhu and Dagon and want to explore more of Lovecraft's stories. I really like his suspenseful, 1st-person perspective writing style.
For anyone interested here you can read his works online for free!
https://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/fiction/