Metal Storm logo
Genesis

14.08.2006 - 08:33
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
One of prog rocks finest acts,if not the finest act,until of course they went pop,which I will admit I like some of.They career started with From Genesis to Revelation and completey rearranging their sound with a truly great release in Trespass (a true classic).Then came Nursery Cryme,and the ever classic Foxtrot.Selling England by the Pound I must say is my favorite album by them,"Dancing With the Moonlit Knight" is my favorite song.I have heard almost all of their stuff except for Lamb Lies down on Broadway which is a shame,and I hope to listen very soon!Anyways let me know what you think of this legendary prog band!
14.08.2006 - 17:48
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I have a few of their classic albums...Trespass, Foxtrot, Selling England By The Pound, and Trick Of The Tail...I can't really say I like their 80s stuff too much...that song I Can't Dance was cool...

I think that sometimes Genesis can be sort of too random...like, they install too many parts into their music sometimes as what I heard from their earlier albums...some people think that they can't write a proper song but I heard that Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is a must...
14.08.2006 - 20:58
Walter Iego
Author
Elite
I like Genesis when other people make covers out of their songs. The are too much-pop-non-prog for me, but Phil can play drums, that is for sure
17.08.2006 - 08:48
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Walter Iego on 14.08.2006 at 20:58

I like Genesis when other people make covers out of their songs. The are too much-pop-non-prog for me, but Phil can play drums, that is for sure

you must not have heard their prog stuff from the 70's,which i hope that is the case,because to call these guys not prog,is like saying the sun doesnt shine.
19.08.2006 - 18:03
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Anything pre-80s Genesis is good Genesis although they have great tunes from after 1980 like Misunderstanding and I Can't Dance...
29.08.2006 - 04:47
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by [user id=2084] on 19.08.2006 at 18:03

Anything pre-80s Genesis is good Genesis although they have great tunes from after 1980 like Misunderstanding and I Can't Dance...

And who could forget that wonderous tune Invisible Touch,just cant get enough of that song haha
30.08.2006 - 04:57
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
That's a great example of 80s Genesis cheese man...
31.08.2006 - 02:52
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by [user id=2084] on 30.08.2006 at 04:57

That's a great example of 80s Genesis cheese man...

hahaha very true,but I can never seem to get enough of that song...not sure why...
31.08.2006 - 08:52
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@MaidenVarius: Well...it's not like it's a bad song...
04.09.2006 - 12:42
Ridden Disease
Account deleted
I love genesis -Selling england by the pound.
really great album, lyrics are amazing as well with metaphors that are very hard to understand.

Firth of Fifth is my fav.
22.10.2006 - 03:07
marillionfan
Account deleted
Genesis is one of my favourite bands. I'm kind of a Genesis completionist:lol:, I have all their official releases, 4 live albums included, i intend to buy some DVDs soon. There are only two songs of theirs that I don't like: the terribly awful Who Dunnit (of the Abacab album - 1981) and the terribly poppy Illegal Alien (of the Genesis selftitled 1983 album). And BTW, I can't dance is a cynical joke and it was meant to be like that.
27.02.2007 - 20:17
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Walter Iego on 14.08.2006 at 20:58

Surely you haven't heard much of their 1969-1980 albums. That's what you should try to do. All the albums from this period are definitely worth checking out.
01.03.2007 - 14:55
Walter Iego
Author
Elite
Will do
01.03.2007 - 20:03
Warman
Erotic Stains
Isn't that Land of Confusion song (which everybody does awful covers of) a Genesis song?
----
01.03.2007 - 21:08
SirenOfTheStyx
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 01.03.2007 at 20:03

Isn't that Land of Confusion song (which everybody does awful covers of) a Genesis song?

It is
Who made covers of this song ?

I'm happy to find a Genesis thread here I've always been loving that band, my mother listened to it all the time..
I only have the debut albums and the Greatest Hits (to have a sample of the post 80's stuff), and songs like Visions of angels or Selling England by the pound are true masterpieces...
01.03.2007 - 21:10
marillionfan
Account deleted

Yes, Land of Confusion is a Genesis song from the Invisible Touch album - 1986. This album is the most comercial Genesis release but still not their least inspired album (that would be Abacab - 1981 - for me at least). Actually the song is pretty good. I heard only one cover of this song, that of Disturbed. I don't like this band that much but the cover was surprisingly good.(IMO)
01.03.2007 - 21:24
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by [user id=1046] on 01.03.2007 at 21:08

It is
Who made covers of this song ?

As mentioned in the next post; Disturbed, but also In Flames and the crappy swedish pop group Alcazar did an awful version of the song.
----
02.03.2007 - 16:09
marillionfan
Account deleted
Now back to the topic.

I was so glad to see a Genesis thread here, I was looking forward to see other people's opinions and sharing ideas; i find it regretable that so few people here know the real Genesis, the progressive rock band.

Excuse my arrogance...
26.03.2007 - 22:01
Anathemani@c
Unfortunatelly I haven't heard much of them, but I can assure you all that Land of confusion is the greater song they ever made!
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
27.04.2007 - 04:37
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Anathemani@c on 26.03.2007 at 22:01

Unfortunatelly I haven't heard much of them, but I can assure you all that Land of confusion is the greater song they ever made!

I do hope you aren't serious, that is clearly not their best song....
09.05.2007 - 00:41
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
While "Land of Confusion" is one of my favorite songs from Genesis. Heck my buddy Gunn and I sing it every other week or so at karaoke. But it is not their best song.

Maybe I am biased because I am such a prog freak, but their earlier material is much better. Foxtrot, Trick of the Tail Nursery Crime, and my all time favorite, Selling England by the Pound, are fantastic albums. Then Peter Gabriel left, and it slowly went down hill.

Sure there were some good songs afterwards, like "Turn it on", "Land of Confusion" and "Jesus He Knows Me", but that was about it.
----
(space for rent)
20.06.2007 - 02:26
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 09.05.2007 at 00:41

While "Land of Confusion" is one of my favorite songs from Genesis. Heck my buddy Gunn and I sing it every other week or so at karaoke. But it is not their best song.

Maybe I am biased because I am such a prog freak, but their earlier material is much better. Foxtrot, Trick of the Tail Nursery Crime, and my all time favorite, Selling England by the Pound, are fantastic albums. Then Peter Gabriel left, and it slowly went down hill.

Sure there were some good songs afterwards, like "Turn it on", "Land of Confusion" and "Jesus He Knows Me", but that was about it.

Don't worry man I am a prog freak too! What is your favorite prog song by them? Mine is either Dancing with the Moonlit Knight or The Musical Box.
17.07.2007 - 21:03
Pinusar
Account deleted
I have listened to them quite a bit. I like their music.
10.03.2008 - 22:32
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by [user id=20090] on 17.07.2007 at 21:03

I have listened to them quite a bit. I like their music.

Well that makes two of us! What is your favorite album and song by them?
11.03.2008 - 03:44
bucky01403
Account deleted
People seem to forget that Genesis did a few prog albums with Phil Collins fronting the band. I must say Wind & Wuthering is my fav from what I've heard from Genesis so far. I have to admit, I get a kick out of their pop stuff. The stylistic change doesn't really bother me, I'd rather see them progress musically than pretend that Peter Gabriel never left the band.
14.03.2008 - 18:20
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by [user id=19596] on 11.03.2008 at 03:44

People seem to forget that Genesis did a few prog albums with Phil Collins fronting the band. I must say Wind & Wuthering is my fav from what I've heard from Genesis so far. I have to admit, I get a kick out of their pop stuff. The stylistic change doesn't really bother me, I'd rather see them progress musically than pretend that Peter Gabriel never left the band.

Good point; Genesis is one of my favourite bands; from the Collins era, I would recommend the first album with Phil on vocals - A Trick of the Tail , it's truly amazing; I would also suggest And Then there Were Three (1978), the first album as a trio (Hackett had quit the band the year before). I like it a lot, and i do understand some people's diappointment with it as Hackett had left a huge void in the band (and the three remaining member did not even (try to) fill it. Duke (1980) is the last great Genesis album.
As far as the other 80s albums, I'm rather running out of love/appreciation for them - they're too poppy, they're so patchy; their 1983 selftitled album has its moments of greatness with Home by the Sea (2 parts), Mama (the first Genesis song I heard, long long time ago), Silver rainbow (good song, unispired lyrics), It's gonna get better (good ballad), That's All (catchy pop song) - the rest is simply filler; the Invisible Touch album is even worse - the only really good, worth listening songs are Domino, Land of Confusion, Tonight Tonight Tonight, and the Brazilian (a really good instrumental); I cannot enjoy the rest of the songs at all.
Genesis released two more studio albums in the 90s, We Can't Dance (good album, better than everything they did since Duke) and Calling All stations (1997) - with Ray Wilson on vocals; personally I've always liked this album (but I'm definitely a minority in this situation).
29.04.2008 - 08:54
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by [user id=17278] on 14.03.2008 at 18:20

Good point; Genesis is one of my favourite bands; from the Collins era, I would recommend the first album with Phil on vocals - A Trick of the Tail , it's truly amazing; I would also suggest And Then there Were Three (1978), the first album as a trio (Hackett had quit the band the year before). I like it a lot, and i do understand some people's diappointment with it as Hackett had left a huge void in the band (and the three remaining member did not even (try to) fill it. Duke (1980) is the last great Genesis album.
As far as the other 80s albums, I'm rather running out of love/appreciation for them - they're too poppy, they're so patchy; their 1983 selftitled album has its moments of greatness with Home by the Sea (2 parts), Mama (the first Genesis song I heard, long long time ago), Silver rainbow (good song, unispired lyrics), It's gonna get better (good ballad), That's All (catchy pop song) - the rest is simply filler; the Invisible Touch album is even worse - the only really good, worth listening songs are Domino, Land of Confusion, Tonight Tonight Tonight, and the Brazilian (a really good instrumental); I cannot enjoy the rest of the songs at all.
Genesis released two more studio albums in the 90s, We Can't Dance (good album, better than everything they did since Duke) and Calling All stations (1997) - with Ray Wilson on vocals; personally I've always liked this album (but I'm definitely a minority in this situation).

There pop stuff is always good but why make a point of it, their prog stuff will always be good, and I don't think Wind and Wuthering could ever compare to Trespass or Selling England by the Pound. Genesis is a great band regardless, but I will always appreciate the gabriel era a little bit more...
30.04.2008 - 19:09
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by [user id=823] on 29.04.2008 at 08:54

There pop stuff is always good but why make a point of it, their prog stuff will always be good, and I don't think Wind and Wuthering could ever compare to Trespass or Selling England by the Pound. Genesis is a great band regardless, but I will always appreciate the gabriel era a little bit more...

You're right; I wasn't trying to make any point, just that their 80's work , except of course Duke doesn't impress me anymore, like it used to.
Lately I've listened to the solo work of Genesis members, except for Phil's pop stuff which doesn't do much for me. And I was just thinking how great it could have been if these guys, 5 members or 4 members (1975-1977 line-up) would have find a way to work things out and create more music together. As I was listening to Steve Hacket's albums, I realised even more how important/essential Hackett was in the band, and how easily genesis gave up on their progressive roots. Hackett's solo work is amazing, even his least inspired work is good, for me at least, i can't complain. As for Peter Gabriel, his work is almost flawless; these ntwo artists were/are successful so Tony Banks tried his best as a solo artist but unfortunately he never matched the success of Gabriel or Hackett. Nevertheless, Banks' 80's albums are miles better than any Genesis 80s albums. Mike Rutherford had only one moment of genious with his Smallcreep's Day in 1980, his only progressive rock work, as later he did a horrid pop album and formed Mike and The Mechanics in 1985, a very accessible pop-rock project. I have also listened to one of Anthony Phillips' albums (he was Genesis' first guitarist, remember?) - 1977 - the Geese and the Ghost, a must have album for any 70's genesis listener/fan.

For those who love classic prog Genesis, I can recommend some albums of the members' solo work: the first four Peter Gabriel albums plus Us (1992) and Up (2002); Tony Banks - A Curious feeling (1979), Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte, Please Don't Touch, Spectral Mornings, Guitar Noir, Darktown and Wild Orchids; Mike Rutherford - Smallcreep's Day.
05.07.2008 - 21:22
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by [user id=17278] on 30.04.2008 at 19:09

Written by [user id=823] on 29.04.2008 at 08:54

You're right; I wasn't trying to make any point, just that their 80's work , except of course Duke doesn't impress me anymore, like it used to.
Lately I've listened to the solo work of Genesis members, except for Phil's pop stuff which doesn't do much for me. And I was just thinking how great it could have been if these guys, 5 members or 4 members (1975-1977 line-up) would have find a way to work things out and create more music together. As I was listening to Steve Hacket's albums, I realised even more how important/essential Hackett was in the band, and how easily genesis gave up on their progressive roots. Hackett's solo work is amazing, even his least inspired work is good, for me at least, i can't complain. As for Peter Gabriel, his work is almost flawless; these ntwo artists were/are successful so Tony Banks tried his best as a solo artist but unfortunately he never matched the success of Gabriel or Hackett. Nevertheless, Banks' 80's albums are miles better than any Genesis 80s albums. Mike Rutherford had only one moment of genious with his Smallcreep's Day in 1980, his only progressive rock work, as later he did a horrid pop album and formed Mike and The Mechanics in 1985, a very accessible pop-rock project. I have also listened to one of Anthony Phillips' albums (he was Genesis' first guitarist, remember?) - 1977 - the Geese and the Ghost, a must have album for any 70's genesis listener/fan.

For those who love classic prog Genesis, I can recommend some albums of the members' solo work: the first four Peter Gabriel albums plus Us (1992) and Up (2002); Tony Banks - A Curious feeling (1979), Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte, Please Don't Touch, Spectral Mornings, Guitar Noir, Darktown and Wild Orchids; Mike Rutherford - Smallcreep's Day.

I love Peter's and Steve's solo stuff. I also do enjoy a lot of Phil's stuff as well. Steve's voyage of the acolyte is amazing as hell. I enjoy all of Peter's stuff whether it be poppy or what not. I Grieve is my favorite song, and that song is amazing.
28.10.2012 - 23:38
Unhealer
Eclecticist
It's old news, but here's a stream of the "Genesis Revisited II" by Steve Hackett. Features vocals by M. Akerfeldt on "Supper's Ready" and S. Wilson on "Can Utility and The Coastliners" among others.