Metal Storm logo
Stephen King

17.05.2006 - 21:22
Damnated
Churchburner
One of the best horror writers of all time, King manages to literally scare the shit out of the reader. I dunno about you guys, but while I was reading Miserry, I was scared. This is one of my fav books from King, the other would be The Stand.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
18.05.2006 - 00:42
suinelah
King's one of my favorite authors as well!
I haven't read Misery yet. Dunno why, though... I guess the movie had something
to do with it.

Ah! Yes... The Stand is one of my (2 absolute) favorites as well. The other one's:
The Talisman.

None of his book ever scared me, but Gerald's Game grossed me out... I actually
had to put the book down for a while during a pretty... um... gross scene when...
<POSSIBLE SPOILER>
...the main character's prying herself free from the bed.
(Hope I was vague enough there)
</POSSIBLE SPOILER>

Right now I'm reading Cell. I must say it isn't one of his better work.
----
blessed be,
//suinelah
18.05.2006 - 00:53
Søren
Lord of the Mosh
Elite
Three words: The Dark Tower
Read it, love it, live it - all things serve the beam.

In other SK news, those of us in the States will have the honor of seeing the miniseries adaptation of Desperation later this month on ABC, followed by an adaptation of eight stories from Nightmares & Dreamscapes on TNT in July. And, in between, the Dead Zone returns for season 5 on USA Network in June.
18.05.2006 - 00:57
Søren
Lord of the Mosh
Elite
Written by suinelah on 18.05.2006 at 00:42

Right now I'm reading Cell. I must say it isn't one of his better work.

I thought Cell was actually a remarkable return to form for King. Unlike his "I am woman, hear me roar" period in the 90's (Dolores Claiborn, Gerald's Game, Rose Madder), and his more recent propensity for writing slow-moving novels that take 200 pages to get interesting, peak 30 pages later, then end weakly (Dreamcatcher anyone?), cell actually brings back some of the more descriptive gore that one would expect from King at his peak (IT, Dark Half), and delivers it with a story reminiscent of post-modern, technologically evolved version of the Stand.

Not one of his best, I agree, but better than much of what he's done in recent years, and a glimmer of hope for those of us who have been waiting for the master of horror to return.
18.05.2006 - 01:33
Deus Ex Machina
Ok..well...seems i'm the only one here that doesn't thin Stephen King's all that much.But since A LOT of people think the world of him i'm prepared to add that up to the fact i haven't read a lot of his work.Maybe about 3-4 books,and most of that wasn't really all that great.I mean..it was ok...but kind of too boring for such long books.(I've read stuff like "Needful things","The girl who loved Tom Gordon" etc)I don't know-i just think i have to get into him more.I was thinking of reading Rose Madder cause i rememeber that was one title that really caught my eye last time i was in the library.I'll see-i'm just looking for something that'll make me love the guy instantly cause,hey..i don't wanna be the only one who thinks he sucks
19.05.2006 - 05:49
Antidote4
Account deleted
Pet Cemetary, Cell (which was surprisingly good), and From A Buick 8 are my personal favs. Pet Cemetary is King at his greatest, its freaky, its interesting, and you really want those characters to be happy. Cell remided me of the dark tower series without all the extra stuff thrown in. It futuristic, it describes what could happen to our increasingly hedonistic society. And although From a Buick 8 is very slow, I love it. Most of the book is about this car that, well you dont know what the hell it is. Most of it is left up to your imagination. Me I loved the feel of the setting. It just Kreeped me out man, it really got to me. Anyway those are King books to read.
19.05.2006 - 13:36
Søren
Lord of the Mosh
Elite
Written by Deus Ex Machina on 18.05.2006 at 01:33

Ok..well...seems i'm the only one here that doesn't thin Stephen King's all that much.But since A LOT of people think the world of him i'm prepared to add that up to the fact i haven't read a lot of his work.Maybe about 3-4 books,and most of that wasn't really all that great.I mean..it was ok...but kind of too boring for such long books.(I've read stuff like "Needful things","The girl who loved Tom Gordon" etc)I don't know-i just think i have to get into him more.I was thinking of reading Rose Madder cause i rememeber that was one title that really caught my eye last time i was in the library.I'll see-i'm just looking for something that'll make me love the guy instantly cause,hey..i don't wanna be the only one who thinks he sucks

Well, the two you mentioned as having read, and the one you are considering, were all released during King's downward spiral (IMO). If you want something that will make you "love him," try The Eyes of the Dragon, The Shining, 'Salems Lot, IT, The Stand, The Dark Half, and the Dark Tower series (7 books, not horror, more of a fantasy western, but so much more than that and hard to describe. There are references to the Dark Tower in almost every other King work, and the way they tie together is amazing.) Keep in mind that IT and The Stand are massive books, and they're going to take a while to get through. You may also want to consider Night Shift or Skeleton Key, his first two collections of short stories - far superior to the later collections.
19.05.2006 - 21:51
Proud Autumn
Account deleted
I have mixed feelings about King. I think that he is one of the few original horror writers, although he continuously copies his own stories. He has written some phenominal material like The Green Mile and Hearts in Atlantis. But I find that usually his books lack something. I find it difficult to care about the characters, with the exception of Delores Claiborne. As a writer myself, I tend to be extremely critical of the bare bones components of a novel. Again, I'm not sure what it is about King's books that rub me the wrong way, perhaps the predictable story lines or the cliches, or the flashbacks and demented dreams--which seem to attract writers like bugs to a campfire, usually with the same results. Or perhaps it's the fact that every book seems to be about a writer? Why is that?

So, yeah. Stephen King at his best is Stephen King not trying so hard to be frightening, but Stephen King simply putting that effort into the story itself.
20.05.2006 - 01:45
Rag-Doll
Account deleted
He's pretty good. The book I enjoyed the most - my favourite is Desperation .. its one of those books I wouldn't mind reading again in a couple of months or so. It rocked.
20.05.2006 - 03:58
Søren
Lord of the Mosh
Elite
Written by [user id=2031] on 19.05.2006 at 21:51

... although he continuously copies his own stories ...
... perhaps the predictable story lines or the cliches, or the flashbacks and demented dreams ...
... the fact that every book seems to be about a writer ...

Three great points - I shall address them in order:
1. When King contemplated retirement a couple years ago, he said that he felt From a Buick 8 was too much like Christine, and when he starts reusing ideas, it must mean he's tapped and it's time to stop. I agree 100%. Just look at these: Shawshank Redemption vs. The Green Mile ... Christine vs. From a Buick 8 ... The Stand vs. Cell ... Gerald's Game vs. Rose Madder ... lots of rehashed ideas.
However, there is also the way his books intertwine, refer to each other, contain common characters, and all somehow fit in with the Dark Tower - to me, this is brilliant, not a sign that he is copying himself. So I think there is a little bit of both going on.

2. Yes, King is cliched, and his stories are quite linear and predictable, even with flashbacks and dream sequences - nobody ever accused him of being a deep writer. But I think a lot of that lends to his overwhelming popularity - he writes what people know, cliched or not. He takes so much from culture and society (particularly pop culture), and while it's not James Joyce or William Shakespeare, it's something people can connect to, and it works.

3. The writer thing does tend to get old, but it worked well in The Shining, The Dark Half, and IT. Besides, sometimes it's easiest to write what you know. It has also lent to a certain mystique surrounding King himself - how many people have wondered over the years "How much of this character is fiction and how much is the real Stephen King?"
20.05.2006 - 10:27
Proud Autumn
Account deleted
Written by Søren on 20.05.2006 at 03:58

Written by [user id=2031] on 19.05.2006 at 21:51

... although he continuously copies his own stories ...
... perhaps the predictable story lines or the cliches, or the flashbacks and demented dreams ...
... the fact that every book seems to be about a writer ...

Three great points - I shall address them in order:
1. When King contemplated retirement a couple years ago, he said that he felt From a Buick 8 was too much like Christine, and when he starts reusing ideas, it must mean he's tapped and it's time to stop. I agree 100%. Just look at these: Shawshank Redemption vs. The Green Mile ... Christine vs. From a Buick 8 ... The Stand vs. Cell ... Gerald's Game vs. Rose Madder ... lots of rehashed ideas.
However, there is also the way his books intertwine, refer to each other, contain common characters, and all somehow fit in with the Dark Tower - to me, this is brilliant, not a sign that he is copying himself. So I think there is a little bit of both going on.

2. Yes, King is cliched, and his stories are quite linear and predictable, even with flashbacks and dream sequences - nobody ever accused him of being a deep writer. But I think a lot of that lends to his overwhelming popularity - he writes what people know, cliched or not. He takes so much from culture and society (particularly pop culture), and while it's not James Joyce or William Shakespeare, it's something people can connect to, and it works.

3. The writer thing does tend to get old, but it worked well in The Shining, The Dark Half, and IT. Besides, sometimes it's easiest to write what you know. It has also lent to a certain mystique surrounding King himself - how many people have wondered over the years "How much of this character is fiction and how much is the real Stephen King?"

Thank you. This elaboration is quite helpful and much appreciated.
21.05.2006 - 03:47
suinelah
Lord ofthe Mosh
Well... since we basically not disagreeing...
I just thought the "descriptive gore" in the beginning
of the book lacked... well... the Kingesque finesse,
so to speak.

Yes... The Dark Tower... my wife keeps telling me how
good these books are... I've only read some shortstory
(in Bag Of Bones, was it?) taking place in the The Dark
Tower "universe"... it was OK, i guess... but I have a
thing against anything western/westernesque.
----
blessed be,
//suinelah
23.05.2006 - 04:27
Crovax
Account deleted
I read The shining. Only book I read by King and I thought it was a load of crap that could have been reduced to 200 pages. I felt there was too much unnecessary elaboration and the setting was pretty boring. I struggled to finish it because I paid $8 for it!!!
30.05.2006 - 22:01
Trollfest
i have read lots of his books at high school days
but i didn't like read much so i don't read any book nowadays.
he is the best we can not discuss.
i want to meet with him and maybe think about a book and write it together, just my imagination:)
best book? it's the hardest work, if i have to choose one, it's gonna be "Pet Cemetery"
my first and best book ever have and i never foget it.
01.06.2006 - 01:45
fire101
Account deleted
I like his book Misery. Has anyone else read it?
01.06.2006 - 17:10
Warman
Erotic Stains
"Misery" is without doubt King's best book! One of the best ever! Although there is no "ghosts" or things like that in the book, Annie Wilkes scared the shit out of me. That is the most brilliant thing with King, that he can make a human to the most scary thing ever!
----
02.06.2006 - 03:08
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
"IT" is my absolute favorite horror book ever - it was thoroughly rivetting. "The Stand" was also enjoyable. I enjoy some of his short stories as well (particularly off "the Night Shift")
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.06.2006 - 13:47
Liisi
the BEST
----
i may be small, i may be cute, but baby, i know how to move my feet!
04.06.2006 - 16:20
Warrior Poet
Account deleted
I enjoyed IT, The Stand & I love The Dark Tower series, amazing.
06.06.2006 - 00:16
priit
Hmm. I must (strongly) agree with all of you, who praise The Dark Tower and Misery. Haven't read many other of his novels, maybe 8 in the whole. Right now I've reading his short stories: Everything's Eventual.
08.06.2006 - 22:35
Metal_Messias
Account deleted
I really like The Dark Tower (I'm on volume V), they're all great books! But I've never read another book from him. I spend much more time in history books.
09.06.2006 - 20:54
Ibanez07
Account deleted
I read Bag of Bones, which was a dissapointment outright, but I'm preparing to read the stand- my mom and sister loved it. I also read IT, and the Shining which were pretty scary, and Carrie, which was more depressing than anything.
12.06.2006 - 05:26
MetalSpider
I read Salem's Lot. It was a good book...a fairly big one too (600+ pages I think...cant remember since I dont have it with me right now). There were a lot of characters...some who really werent that important at all. A good read nonetheless.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
20.06.2006 - 02:27
Deus Ex Machina
I have changed my opinion a bit since the last time i posted.I saw Lord ofthe Mosh recommend me some books i might like more than the ones i've read and yes...i've read "It". I had a fear of clowns since i was a kid.Cause i watched the "It" tv series and it scared the freakin' daylights out of me...so did this book..but the book itself was just soooo GOOD i couldn't put it down.Next up...i'm really interested in reading Pet cemetary and Salem's lot.Anyways...i'll see.And as soon as i read something new of his i'll definitely post my opinion.
20.06.2006 - 09:38
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Deus Ex Machina on 20.06.2006 at 02:27

Pet cemetary

This is one of the worst books of King. I read it, and it bored me all the way. He sais that he was so afraid while writing, that he did not want to finish it, but I don't see this in the book. It is just not entertaining.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
27.06.2006 - 08:10
nana.MD
Star-Queen
it and rose red are great works...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
03.07.2006 - 11:21
Too many fail.
Well king is probably my fav author, possibly because of my dad's influence. hes a king amaniac and has a good a mount of his books and movies. I used to be more ino his really early stuff especially the films, (the 2 creepshow movies were great) but nowadays i read pretty much anything from him. i just finished different seasons (shawshank had some pretty gross parts :/ )and im planning on starting "desperation" soon.
I never got further than wastelands in the dark tower series, though my dad has the whole series, i loved the first part of the series, it was great, the others i didnt find that interesting in contrast to his other works.
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
09.07.2006 - 14:42
Sune
Account deleted
I really liked the movie "Thinner", which of course is based on a Stephen King book.. I haven't read the book, but I enjoyed the movie alot, some of it is really bizarre, but that is what's so cool about it.
09.07.2006 - 18:09
W-Lash
Metal Master
I see that you are talking about King's books but could anyone suggest me a good horror movie based on his books?
I have seen Langoliers, Pet Cemetary, The Night Flyer, The Shining (i guess it was based on his book).
09.07.2006 - 18:16
Too many fail.
If youre into cheap 80's mild gore stuff watch creepshow 1&2 and tales from the darkside,
They are collections of short stories some of which King wrote and directed along side with Romero (!!!)
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks