Metal Storm logo
Pantera

18.05.2006 - 00:00
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Coming from a style that some consider to be Glam, US Power Metal or just Heavy Metal (I haven't had the chance of actually listening to this period from the band) Pantera became a Groove Thrash metal band that told all those Grunge bands, that were taking over during the 90's, to fuck off, that Metal is alive and breathing. Their music, raw and in your face, has influenced several bands including many Nu Metal bands (often hated for that).

As we all know, the life of the guitar god Dimebag Darrell ended during a tragic incident where a son of a bitch killed him during a show of his other band Damageplan, in which he too played guitar along with his brother Vinnie Paul, in December 8th, 2004. Millions suffered his death back in those days and we all still do for he was a unique guitar palyer and person, as all the people who knew him acknowledge. He may not be with us in flesh but he will be alive forever through his music.

Here is their official thread.
----
Christless
18.05.2006 - 00:05
Stigmatized
I can only imagine what was going through Vinnie's mind as he watched brother die....
18.05.2006 - 00:50
Conemetal
My homage to Dimebag Darrell, great musician. About Pantera.... "Cowboys from Hell" and "Vulgar Display of Power" are their best albums, since "Far Beyond Driven" they went to near to Hardcore and to Nu Metal now, and I don't like it.
----
MUCH I LEARNED FROM MY TEACHERS,
MORE FROM MY COLLEAGUES, BUT I HAVE LEARNED THE MOST FROM MY DISCIPLES
18.05.2006 - 00:51
__Az__
Yeh, it was obviously a very saddening experiance... Not only for Vinnie but all band members and fans alike... Dimebag was apparently a genuinly nice man... Although i never met him in real life....

His death is a huge loss to metal.
18.05.2006 - 01:27
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
just got there first album 'power metal' holy crap......they sounded like glam-rock back then
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.05.2006 - 01:28
__Az__
Written by Doc G. on 18.05.2006 at 01:27

just got there first album 'power metal' holy crap......they sounded like glam-rock back then

Lol, yeh... they style did change quite a bit since then...
18.05.2006 - 08:05
LethargyMan
I'm suprised that it took me so long to get a Pantera album. I just picked up Cowboys from Hell last week and it is a delight.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
18.05.2006 - 20:37
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
What the fuck is going on in this motherfucking world.Dime is dead,Quorthon is dead,Piggy is dead.What is going be the next thing that will happen?
23.05.2006 - 02:31
Tobias P
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5231] on 18.05.2006 at 20:37

What the fuck is going on in this motherfucking world.Dime is dead,Quorthon is dead,Piggy is dead.What is going be the next thing that will happen?

Peopel die, is a part of life, yes it is sad, but you can't do much against. And yes they (Piggy and Dimebag, don't know who Quorthon is) was to young to die.

Anyway Pantera get to much credit for making the groove sound, Exhorder is a band that played some fucking great music (the only released to cds).
23.05.2006 - 08:27
X-pert74
Account deleted
Power Metal was Pantera's fourth album, not their first.

I don't really enjoy Pantera that much. I can't stand most Groove Metal, and Pantera are (or were) one of the main bands in that scene. I like the song Cowboys From Hell, but all the other songs I've heard (which were after their Glam era) just bore me. A lot of it just seems extremely midpaced and dull.
29.05.2006 - 17:49
kackbratze
Pantera are cool. I have CfH and VDoP and I like their sound. The shredding guitars make them sound really heavy and rough, Dimebag was a mastermind. R.I.P.
30.05.2006 - 02:10
Daru Jericho
Pantera are (were?) a great band. They receive a lot of respect in the metal world. What happened to Dime is a definite tragedy.

Still, I've noticed recently that there are a lot of Pantera hates. I just can't understand why...(sort of like the Dream Theaterhates that appeared out of nowhere too).
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

30.05.2006 - 08:48
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I loved Pantera - I picked up "Vulgar" back in the day and I loved the way it was so fucking empowering... songs like "A new level" just made the listener want to go out and kick some ass at whatever it was they did.

Watching a lot of metal stuff on vH-1's metal month, and caught the Pantera "behind the music" the other day - Phil is one fucked up individual. Listening to him talk, it sounded like he was still fucking on heroin, painkillers, and whatever else he could gobble. I tried not to take sides during the whole divorce, but watching him even a year after the fact made it real easy to side with DB and VP...

I agree with Conemetal regarding their direction- I really loved "Cowboys" and "Vulgar", as well as bits and pieces off of "Driven" (the more straightforward of the songs), didn't care for "Trendkill" at all...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.06.2006 - 10:55
mvikred
Great band, in a way they revived the dying metal scene those days. brought in new , energetic stuff. Hail pantera .... RIP Dimebag \m/
----
I'm addicted to Technical Death Metal ... Somebody save me
05.06.2006 - 15:34
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
I got right into Pantera about a month just before Dimebag's death. A great band, one of the best America 90's metal bands to stand up and say 'Hey, metal is here and alive' and the influences these guys had on metal today is seen all about the place.

My favourite albums would be 'Cowboy's From Hell' and 'Vulgur Display Of Power'. Just flawless albums that gets right in your face, the guitar work from Dimebag is just amazing. The other albums are good aswell but these are the two that i prefer. The days where they had the whole glam metal thing happening just cracks me up. Looking at these guys wearing make up, tight as hell leather pants, sparkly vests and a tone of hair spray is just looks really funny when you compare them to how they looked on their later metaerial.

R.I.P Dimebag (Riff In Peace)
----

Hellcunt Smurf
05.06.2006 - 17:55
malice05
Account deleted
Written by [user id=854] on 23.05.2006 at 08:27

Power Metal was Pantera's fourth album, not their first.

I don't really enjoy Pantera that much. I can't stand most Groove Metal, and Pantera are (or were) one of the main bands in that scene. I like the song Cowboys From Hell, but all the other songs I've heard (which were after their Glam era) just bore me. A lot of it just seems extremely midpaced and dull.

yeah i agree with you, im not one of the biggest pantera fans, in fact i only like 2 of there songs, being Cowboys From Hell and Walk...besides that they werent my favourite band or a particular interesting one, dont get me wrong i have a respect for all the band members, and an immence respect to Dimebag for contributing to the metal scene the way he did, i will never forget that opening riff into Walk...

R.I.P Dimebag

cheers, Malice05
20.06.2006 - 12:54
Troll
Account deleted
Written by [user id=13807] on 23.05.2006 at 02:31

Peopel die, is a part of life, yes it is sad, but you can't do much against. And yes they (Piggy and Dimebag, don't know who Quorthon is) was to young to die.

Anyway Pantera get to much credit for making the groove sound, Exhorder is a band that played some fucking great music (the only released to cds).

Yeah Yeah, Exhorder is good and they were probobly before Pantera too. But Pantera=Gods!
And I really recommend Exhorder's Slaughter In The Vatican and The Law to everyone who loves Pantera.

Pantera's Power Metal is not that far from Cowboys...
21.06.2006 - 12:13
Daniel
Dimebag was a pure legend

R.I.P
----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
22.06.2006 - 02:06
Baz Anderson
Staff
even though Pantera is no more - i still think they were one of the best thrash metal bands ever
i still love to listen to a random album by them
of course its a shame everything that happened, but at least we have what we have
Damageplan was a good band as well - even though more commercial, i really enjoyed their album too
22.06.2006 - 02:12
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I agree with those who think that much of the honours given to Pantera should belong actually to Exhorder... but well, I still like Pantera a bit more, Groovy Thrash as its best with the plus of having extraordinary riffs...

Fans of Pantera must check Battered, a Norwegian band born from the ashes of Einherjer... they just released their debut self-titled album and it's very worthy.
22.06.2006 - 02:50
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
It's kinda weird but about a day or two before Dimebag died I was looking at metalunderground.com (a metal news site that for some reason mostly mentions people who have died) and I told my friend, "Man, no one has died in a while." Then the next day or so Dimebag died and then after that the lead singer/guitarist of Nasum also died. I felt bad lol.
29.06.2006 - 15:02
Troll
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5080] on 22.06.2006 at 02:12

I agree with those who think that much of the honours given to Pantera should belong actually to Exhorder... but well, I still like Pantera a bit more, Groovy Thrash as its best with the plus of having extraordinary riffs...

Fans of Pantera must check Battered, a Norwegian band born from the ashes of Einherjer... they just released their debut self-titled album and it's very worthy.

I saw Battered live in may and it wasn´t so much Pantera over it. Regular Hardcore/Thrash!!
29.06.2006 - 15:21
Angel Deformity
Azathoth

Hail Philcore... alot of people hate this man, but think of it this way... he was the guy that was the driving force if you will behind PanterA's later album, if he hadnt have kept all his pain in his head and just fucking gone on living without giving up (being a fucking man) would any of us have even heard an album like TGSK or FBD, I think not!
29.06.2006 - 16:09
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by [user id=427] on 29.06.2006 at 15:02

Written by [user id=5080] on 22.06.2006 at 02:12

I saw Battered live in may and it wasn´t so much Pantera over it. Regular Hardcore/Thrash!!

well, I don't really think you make a whole picture of a band if you had only listened to it once and live... if you like Pantera, I would certainly recommend you to check the debut album of Battered.
29.06.2006 - 16:15
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Pantera are gods. I love Cowboys From Hell. I'm going to get TSTK soon, I hope.

They are one of the very few bands that managed to record so much energy on one album, that they turn me (the laziest and biggest no-lifer in the world) into a rampaging destroyer.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
29.06.2006 - 16:27
danzig111
Account deleted
Written by [user id=13807] on 23.05.2006 at 02:31

Quorthon was the Bathroy mastermind! Who is Piggy?

anyways.....yes, Pantera were sweet! I really wanted to see them live in some reunion but then Dimebag died so that'll never happen!
29.06.2006 - 17:23
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Piggy is from Voivod. I think..

Pantera without Dime is no Pantera..
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
29.06.2006 - 18:05
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 29.06.2006 at 17:23

Piggy is from Voivod. I think..

Pantera without Dime is no Pantera..

well, Pantera is no more anyway so you don't have nothing to fear
29.06.2006 - 18:12
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I know, I know. No reunion for them. All we can do is play the classics!
----

30.06.2006 - 06:01
Gothya
@AD: agree with you, phil was the man, not just the singer, darrell and him were the minds behind pantera; i also agree dimebag was a god guitar player, it was a very pity darrell died ...anyway, pantera was over so we just have the old damn great days ...r.i.p DDA
----
OUR HEART MAKES THE PLANS,BUT IT IS THE LORD WHOM DIRECTS OUR STEPS