02. Epitome XV
03. Epitome XVI
04. Epitome XVII
05. Epitome XVIII

The Best Industrial / Cyber / Electronic Metal Album Of 2012

Guest review by
Evil Chip
Rating:
777 - Cosmography is without a doubt the quietest and perhaps the least challenging of the entire trilogy of Blut Aus Nord. The dissonance and abrasive wall of sound lightly vanishes and gives way to other new elements. You can expect to find electronic beats, spoken passages, apocalyptic chants, industrial machinery, clean vocals, crystal clear delayed guitars and even some little amounts of doom. Is it eclectic or heterogeneous? Hell no. It's actually a really articulated record and mostly everything is laid in its right place. Is it the best record of the trilogy? I don't know but it's a really beautiful closure. I like to think this kind of music is like seeing a movie, since the visual aspect is a really significant part while listening. In those terms the climax of this trilogy is not disturbing or creepy but rather cathartic and desolating. It's almost like a post-apocalyptic scene where you can see the whole modern world falling apart or at least the human part of it.

Read more ››
published 22.01.2013 | Comments (7)

Staff review by
RaduP
Rating:
N/A
Blut Aus Nord is a band that often works in trilogies. And just like they’re currently in the process of closing another trilogy, let’s look at how they closed the best one in the past.

Read more ››
published 03.11.2023 | Comments (2)

Found in 29 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 96   Visited by: 769 users
08.12.2011 - 23:48
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I WANT IT NOW DAMMIT!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.12.2011 - 23:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.12.2011 at 23:48

I WANT IT NOW DAMMIT!

This.
07.02.2012 - 02:59
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by [user id=4365] on 08.12.2011 at 23:49

Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.12.2011 at 23:48

I WANT IT NOW DAMMIT!

This.

That.
07.02.2012 - 16:28
Rating: 9
InnerSelf
proofread free
Boobs

Now seriously is there an official release date ?
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
03.07.2012 - 18:24
pisymbol
Written by InnerSelf on 07.02.2012 at 16:28

Boobs

Now seriously is there an official release date ?

September last I heard.
03.07.2012 - 19:22
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by pisymbol on 03.07.2012 at 18:24

September last I heard.

Hopefully it'll be worth the wait (and probably will be).
----
is not bold enough
05.07.2012 - 19:34
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Cut the shit. everyone in the carpal-tunnel inducing nested quote fiasco has been warned. do NOT do it again. i will be far less polite next time.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
03.08.2012 - 02:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Cosmosophy trailer at last. They were clearly going for epic with this one:

03.08.2012 - 10:50
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Like I said on the band thread: Not really what I wanted but still amazing.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
06.08.2012 - 18:35
InnerSelf
proofread free
Exactly what I wanted
----
is not bold enough
06.08.2012 - 19:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.08.2012 at 10:50

Like I said on the band thread: Not really what I wanted but still amazing.

As I said don't judge it yet. Fewer, lengthy songs aren't going to be summed up in a two minute trailer
27.08.2012 - 19:18
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by [user id=4365] on 03.08.2012 at 02:31

Cosmosophy trailer at last. They were clearly going for epic with this one:

I like the epic BAN sound, it's kind of cool to have the contrasting dark - light/epic sides
12.09.2012 - 17:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
First play through, and I have to say I do like it. Was expecting wall-to-wall hyper-sugar-melody ala-MV:II but that's not quite the case. It never gets harsh or particularly challenging but there's some nice foreboding tones and build-ups.

Have to say the "clean" vocals don't really bring much to the table, they work on the first track but on other tracks it just grates a little, thankfully they aren't used too often.

Best tracks are XVI and XVIII, more or less because they contain that foreboding element I spoke of. XIV is also very good, XVII is decent but a little heavy on the melody and XV I didn't like. The first half is some strange industrial with odd-spoken French vocal (Vinsdval I guess). Would work on an Elend album but on this it just felt a little weird. The latter half of the song is a forgettable super-melodic bit.
12.09.2012 - 17:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=4365] on 12.09.2012 at 17:42

First play through, and I have to say I do like it. Was expecting wall-to-wall hyper-sugar-melody ala-MV:II

why did you expect that? I heard the album about a month ago or so alrdeay and MV II never crossed my mind at all
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.09.2012 - 17:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.09.2012 at 17:44

why did you expect that? I heard the album about a month ago or so alrdeay and MV II never crossed my mind at all

From reviews I'd read, and from the preview. All suggested extremely melodic music that's not challenging at all.
12.09.2012 - 17:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=4365] on 12.09.2012 at 17:46

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.09.2012 at 17:44

From reviews I'd read, and from the preview. All suggested extremely melodic music that's not challenging at all.

well I read some of those reviews as well and tbh I couldn't understand why they came up wuith the MV II comparison. Probably people wanting a MV III, so the generic melodic bm BAN
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.09.2012 - 18:07
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Best tracks on the record:

12.09.2012 - 20:16
Oaken
Hipster
Purely astounding. After the abrasive barrage of black metal riffage on Sect(s) and then the sterile ugliness of the crawling The Desanctification, Vindvsal has done it again, better than before IMO. On Cosmosophy, the dissonance is gone, and the majestic vibe of MV II is masterfully combined with the crawling flow of The Desanctification, yet it sounds nothing like both of them. It is ethereal, warm and welcoming. XIV is a great opener,extremely epic. The noise/drone/whatever on XV along with those (is it actually rap like those guys on Last.Fm are saying?) vocals are a courageous experiment, but it still ends up being my least favorite (the clean vocals do grate sometimes like Joe pointed out). XVI utilizes acoustic guitars and ends with aggression. XVII is probably my favorite. It's probably the most melodic track and bears a lot of similarity to MV II. Alongside XVII, XVIII is another favorite of mine. It's the Epitome II of this album. The minimalism and the repetitive, meandering riffs give it a ritualistic, transcendental aspect. "Cosmo"sophy. Yes, it sounds a bit cosmic and astral. Such a great way to end the trilogy. I will enjoy this for days to come, and it's my favorite 777 album. Next are MV III and Liber III !
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
13.09.2012 - 01:13
IronAngel
Ahh yeah, finally. A minute and a half into the first track. Sounds promising, though I'm not completely sold on the guitar tone. Seems like the second half of this year is crazy busy with good releases.
13.09.2012 - 01:18
Paz
Elite
I don't share enthusiasm guy above (@Oaken)...

Clean vocals don't fit here at all. Not to mention the biggest wtf moment which is undoubtedly beginning of the "Epitome XV" (whole song is just meh). Despite this I like this album (as a self-confessed fan of the band). "Epitome XVI" is my favorite track, love that riff at the end, which reminds me of Darkspace.

In summary this is my least favorite part of the trilogy (1st place = Desanctification). And purely astounding is the only "TWWTG" for me anyway.
13.09.2012 - 01:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Paz on 13.09.2012 at 01:18

Clean vocals don't fit here at all. Not to mention the biggest wtf moment which is undoubtedly beginning of the "Epitome XV" (whole song is just meh). Despite this I like this album (as a self-confessed fan of the band). "Epitome XVI" is my favorite track, love that riff at the end, which reminds me of Darkspace.

Yeah it's definitely the end of XVI and the build up which owns this album. Great song, love the fact its seemingly split into three movements.
13.09.2012 - 01:53
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Paz on 13.09.2012 at 01:18

I don't share enthusiasm guy above (@Oaken)...

In summary this is my least favorite part of the trilogy (1st place = Desanctification). And purely astounding is the only "TWWTG" for me anyway.

Well, I prefer the conventional stuff, and so the lack of dissonance was something good for me. Epitome XV was purely experimental, and I don't think it went wrong. I liked the vocals, but they were a bit weak at times.
After one focused listen, I can easily say this is my favorite of the trilogy.
----
13.09.2012 - 03:42
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Gotta say i'm loving this immensely. It just feels like the perfect ending to this trilogy. I completely agree with Jo and Pazdzioch in saying XVI is the highlight of the album for me
13.09.2012 - 09:21
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
I don't think the clean vocals fit either, and the chanting part (which seemed to last forever) felt rather out of place as well. Otherwise, I really enjoyed it. have yet to make up my mind about how I would rank it among the 777 series though
----
loves 小巫
13.09.2012 - 16:48
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Alex F on 13.09.2012 at 03:42

Gotta say i'm loving this immensely. It just feels like the perfect ending to this trilogy. I completely agree with Jo and Pazdzioch in saying XVI is the highlight of the album for me

XIV, XVI, XVII and XVIII are all great. It's just the metal part of XV that falls behind (I liked the clean vocals at the beginning).
----
13.09.2012 - 18:11
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Sounds really good. I didn't mind the clean vocals at all.
14.09.2012 - 00:08
Slayer666
Damn, leaked already? Gotta find it ASAP.
14.09.2012 - 20:11
@gent_-_orange
This is the first album of there's so I cant say how this compares to the rest of the BAN Discography, But I like what I am hearing here.
18.09.2012 - 14:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Just tryd - good one its like journey true seasons, fits in in every one same time doesnt trooly fits in every one good album musicaly but i dont like album title like I, II etc
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.09.2012 - 14:37
Rating: 7
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
What an amazing atmosphere these guys manage to create every time. Just gave it a spin on the streaming page of it, I honestly might have to say this is my favorite of the 777 albums.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII

Hits total: 23720 | This month: 24