Metal Storm logo
20 All Time Favourite Albums

Created by: Olives | 12.12.2014

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Olives ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 35   Visited by: 156 users
12.12.2014 - 15:53
Ilham
Giant robot
I'd thumb up this list just for the thumbnail.
12.12.2014 - 15:57
Olives
Go for it
12.12.2014 - 16:01
Ilham
Giant robot
Nah, I dislike/don't care for most of what I see here, sorry .
12.12.2014 - 16:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Surely this should be the list picture?

12.12.2014 - 16:39
Olives
I'm a Turnip fan
Ilham Obviously it's a matter of taste my friend.
12.12.2014 - 16:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
BUT YOUR NAME IS OLIVES.

Fine.
12.12.2014 - 16:41
Olives
My parents hate me
At first they thought about Olive-Oil.
12.12.2014 - 16:42
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Actually it's Oliver. He mispelled it
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
12.12.2014 - 16:43
mz
I wished there were no wintersun, cynic and Ne Obliviscaris here.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
12.12.2014 - 16:44
Olives
Written by Karlabos on 12.12.2014 at 16:42

Actually it's Oliver. He mispelled it

Hehe, nailed it
12.12.2014 - 16:46
Olives
Written by mz on 12.12.2014 at 16:43

Not a fan of dirty vocals?
Actually, I find Portal Of I a true masterpiece.
12.12.2014 - 16:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Have you ever listened to Dredg? You have Fair To Midland and Karnivool in this list so I suspect you'd like them.
12.12.2014 - 16:50
mz
Written by Olives on 12.12.2014 at 16:46

I'm actually a fan of dirty vocals. And not want to be a dick, but Prtal of I is a modern example of an overrated record
----
12.12.2014 - 16:52
Olives
Yeah sure thing, I like 'em thought it reminds me of Dead Letter Circus, which is mmm... A bit too poppy for my taste I guess.
I don't find Karnivool and Fair To Midland that similar to be honest, Fair To Midland and Rishloo have some similarities actually.
12.12.2014 - 16:53
Olives
Written by mz on 12.12.2014 at 16:50

Written by Olives on 12.12.2014 at 16:46

I'm actually a fan of dirty vocals. And not want to be a dick, but Prtal of I is a modern example of an overrated record

Heh, I guess to some, have you heard Citadel though?
12.12.2014 - 16:55
mz
Written by Olives on 12.12.2014 at 16:53

Heh, I guess to some, have you heard Citadel though?

Heard two songs of it and decided not to go on.
----
12.12.2014 - 16:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I dunno, Fair To Midland have that faux-metallic sound about them but at the same time seem more prone to poppy structures, melodies and vocals. Dredg might not be as "heavy" but they strike me as a more mature and based in prog rock to a larger extent (in earlier albums at least).

vs

Your list of course
12.12.2014 - 17:02
mz
I find Dredge to be more on the art side, but personally prefer FtM.
----
12.12.2014 - 17:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 12.12.2014 at 17:02

I do like Fair To Midland a decent amount, but sometimes I feel like a thousand 14 year old girls might be listening to them the same time as I am =P
12.12.2014 - 17:04
Olives
Written by [user id=4365] on 12.12.2014 at 16:58

I dunno, Fair To Midland have that faux-metallic sound about them but at the same time seem more prone to poppy structures, melodies and vocals. Dredg might not be as "heavy" but they strike me as a more mature and based in prog rock to a larger extent (in earlier albums at least).

vs

Your list of course

Yeah I like Dredg and I dug them for awhile, but FTM's brilliance imo is taking this melodies that every person can like and combining it with wonderful harmonies, to me FTM sound very original.
Either way I should listen to Dredg some more, see what I feel about them now
12.12.2014 - 17:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Olives on 12.12.2014 at 17:04

Yeah I like Dredg and I dug them for awhile, but FTM's brilliance imo is taking this melodies that every person can like and combining it with wonderful harmonies, to me FTM sound very original.

I only really dig El Cielo and the slightly poppier Catch Without Arms (which I recently bumped up to a 10 / 10). I can't speak much for their recent albums but the last one was awful.
12.12.2014 - 17:05
Olives
Written by [user id=4365] on 12.12.2014 at 17:03

Written by mz on 12.12.2014 at 17:02

I do like Fair To Midland a decent amount, but sometimes I feel like a thousand 14 year old girls might be listening to them the same time as I am =P

You're Probably right.
12.12.2014 - 17:07
Olives
Written by [user id=4365] on 12.12.2014 at 17:05

Written by Olives on 12.12.2014 at 17:04

I only really dig El Cielo and the slightly poppier Catch Without Arms (which I recently bumped up to a 10 / 10). I can't speak much for their recent albums but the last one was awful.

Last I remember listening to was The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion. That one sounds a lot like Dead Letter Circus.
12.12.2014 - 17:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Olives on 12.12.2014 at 17:07

Last I remember listening to was The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion. That one sounds a lot like Dead Letter Circus.

I don't really remember that one. I may or may not have even listened to it. I'm quite attached to the sound on the two albums before it so I'm probably not that likely to dig it =P
12.12.2014 - 17:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Oh, and welcome to MS =P
12.12.2014 - 17:24
Olives
Thanks buddy
12.12.2014 - 17:41
Ilham
Giant robot
Of course it's a question of taste. Otherwise what's the point of personal lists . But I stand by the radish picture. Olives are too expected.

Oh and yeah, welcome.
13.12.2014 - 00:52
Diverge
+1 for Sound Awake and Asymmetry. Lots of good stuff on here- we have a common love of prog and alt metal, I see.

Forgive me if you've already heard these albums or find the sheer number of recommendations to be exhausting. Here are a few albums that I could see you potentially digging. Don't feel obliged to put any of these on your list. All of them except for the last one are alt metal/alt hard rock that some current favourites of mine, and the last one will definitely appeal to you if you like Cynic.

Adrenological by Cire
Living as Ghosts with Buildings as Teeth by Rishloo (probably my second favourite Rishloo- just came out a few days ago)
In Lake 'ch by The Mayan Factor
Black Days by Klone
H.N.P. by Trepalium (especially if you like Pantera)
Moments from Ephemeral City by Caligula's Horse
Down on the Upside by Soundgarden
Aghora by Aghora
13.12.2014 - 02:32
Olives
Written by Diverge on 13.12.2014 at 00:52

+1 for Sound Awake and Asymmetry. Lots of good stuff on here- we have a common love of prog and alt metal, I see.

Forgive me if you've already heard these albums or find the sheer number of recommendations to be exhausting. Here are a few albums that I could see you potentially digging. Don't feel obliged to put any of these on your list. All of them except for the last one are alt metal/alt hard rock that some current favourites of mine, and the last one will definitely appeal to you if you like Cynic.

Adrenological by Cire
Living as Ghosts with Buildings as Teeth by Rishloo (probably my second favourite Rishloo- just came out a few days ago)
In Lake 'ch by The Mayan Factor
Black Days by Klone
H.N.P. by Trepalium (especially if you like Pantera)
Moments from Ephemeral City by Caligula's Horse
Down on the Upside by Soundgarden
Aghora by Aghora

Some awesome suggestions mate, I listened to the new Rishloo album first time today, sounds very good but I'll have a better opinion on it in few days I guess.
No doubt Sound Awake is the most inspiring thing I've ever heard, Asymmetry is a great follow - up.
I know most of what you suggested, had some probs getting into Mayan Factor, maybe I'll give it another try.
Cire are great, a little post- grungy, but I like them very much.
Black Days is the only thing I've heard by Klone, really mesmerizing, any other good stuff by them?
Caliugla's Horse another band I really like, Moments From Ephemeral City is my favourite actually, I believe it's unpopular
About Aghora, heard few years ago, can't remember anything special which means I'll give it another listen
I should check Down on the Upside, never listened to it, though some of Soungarden's work is great, will do
Never heard about Trepalium, will check it, thanks for the suggestion bro
13.12.2014 - 13:52
Diverge
Written by Olives on 13.12.2014 at 02:32

Black Days is the only thing I've heard by Klone, really mesmerizing, any other good stuff by them?
Caliugla's Horse another band I really like, Moments From Ephemeral City is my favourite actually, I believe it's unpopular
About Aghora, heard few years ago, can't remember anything special which means I'll give it another listen
I should check Down on the Upside, never listened to it, though some of Soungarden's work is great, will do
Never heard about Trepalium, will check it, thanks for the suggestion bro

Yep, The Dreamer's Hideaway by Klone is also very good. The only problem with that album is that a few of the songs are head and shoulders better than the others, which can kind of detract from the album as a whole.
Funny you should say that about Caligula's Horse- Moments is also my favourite record.
Aghora's two albums are very interesting to me. I can possibly see why you wouldn't like it, though.
Soundgarden is easily the greatest of those bands under the "grunge" moniker for me, and Down on the Upside is probably the most underrated album of the 90s for me. I'm trying to imagine some alternative metal acts without that album.
Trepalium is great- their 2014 EP Voodoo Moonshine might be a good starting point as well.

Hits total: 2849 | This month: 9