Metal Storm logo
Sabbat

22.08.2007 - 01:29
Baz Anderson
Staff
English thrash legends Sabbat, I recently added to the site and also surprisingly only recently got into.
My first opportunity to see them was at Wacken, but I saw Falconer instead, but just a few days ago at Bloodstock here in England I finally got to see the mighty Sabbat live.

They are a very pagan band, before each song Martin told us what it was about and more times than not it was something very pagan. Apparently the main reason they split up originally was because of a split in the band to do with the beliefs not being shared by everyone. Alas, we have Sabbat now and they are back to give us some more top class thrash again.

They have two albums worth listening to - "History Of A Time To Come" and "Dreamweaver", the third has been forgotten about by the band as well as fans.
These two albums are really fantastic though, if you like thrash metal and don't know these albums - I highly recommend them!

So in here we shall talk about anything Sabbat
The Bloodstock review will be on shortly and there will be pictures included in there.
22.08.2007 - 01:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good band realy good its awsome band, awsome msic and lyrics are lil diefernt how thrash lyrics, its more story and IM stylish how thrash, that makes it unique only UK thrash band what I know and who kicks ass moust in Old World heheh
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.08.2007 - 02:06
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I've heard a lot of their music...the music is great but the vocals are something to be desired...
22.08.2007 - 02:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Baz Why Sabbat spell like Sabbat, but Black Sabbath Sabbath whats a diefrence between Sabbat and Sabbath
----

22.08.2007 - 02:29
Baz Anderson
Staff
Sabbat and Sabbath are two different things

a Sabbat is a Pagan festival, wheras a Sabbath is the day of rest for Christians, i.e. Sunday
22.08.2007 - 03:00
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I think Dreamweaver is their best album. There's like a million riffs on it, plus the story is pretty cool, if I remember correctly.
22.08.2007 - 12:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Baz Anderson on 22.08.2007 at 02:29

Sabbat and Sabbath are two different things

a Sabbat is a Pagan festival, wheras a Sabbath is the day of rest for Christians, i.e. Sunday

Thank's heheh but for juish sabbath are suterday an dpoor kids shood go to school in sundey there in Izreal
----

22.08.2007 - 12:29
Vakshay
Account deleted
Sabbat is also a Japanese BM band, never heard of an english one though.
22.08.2007 - 12:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=4838] on 22.08.2007 at 12:29

The Japanese band is shit IMO. The English band is way superior and plays thrash and was a really well-known band back in the day when they released their first two albums, way bigger than the overrated Japanese one.

The English Sabbat has Martin Walkyier (ex-Skyclad) on vocals and Andy Sneap (now a respected producer) on guitars.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.08.2007 - 13:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=4838] on 22.08.2007 at 12:29

Well Marecl say all and I lil coment man its SHIT whit big S because moust overated band there, who coppy Venom, Bulldozer, lil Mercifull fate who has maybe 20 songs who are nothing special only coopy and try to be more evil for Asia marcet, because mroie evil sells there more just liike album bonus tracks for Japs that band only firts EP can be good but others non sence and dunno what to say more
----

22.08.2007 - 14:13
Infurnace
I've heard a lot about these guys lately. They seem to be a really cool band, but i've never heard any song of them yet, so can you recommend me some good songs/album(s)?
22.08.2007 - 14:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Infurnace on 22.08.2007 at 14:13

I've heard a lot about these guys lately. They seem to be a really cool band, but i've never heard any song of them yet, so can you recommend me some good songs/album(s)?

ALL albums and songs are good so but somehow firts always are better
----

22.08.2007 - 14:59
Baz Anderson
Staff
all albums? the last one seems to have been forgotten and disregarded..

the first two albums are definitely the two to go for - either of them.. they are both fantastic
22.08.2007 - 15:03
Infurnace
Written by Bad English on 22.08.2007 at 14:29

Written by Infurnace on 22.08.2007 at 14:13

ALL albums and songs are good so but somehow firts always are better

Okay, thanks man, I'll definitely check them out.
26.08.2007 - 00:08
Baz Anderson
Staff
I just went though the two albums with the lyrics in the books and I have to say I recommend you all do the same..
the lyrics are brilliant, and unless you are following the lyrics along, you don;t quite appreciate just how much Martin has done with them.. there's so much effort, its brilliant!
29.08.2007 - 10:33
Anton Alcolust
oh i saw them at wacken , i was thinking when i saw the name that it was the japanese band but not at all ... but it was really good thrash band and i enjoyed the gig .
----
A.M.S.G.
29.08.2007 - 12:48
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Baz Anderson on 26.08.2007 at 00:08

I just went though the two albums with the lyrics in the books and I have to say I recommend you all do the same..
the lyrics are brilliant, and unless you are following the lyrics along, you don;t quite appreciate just how much Martin has done with them.. there's so much effort, its brilliant!

Has he has done later in Skyclad.
In fact, Martin is one of the best metal lyricist IMO.
And about Dreamweaver, it's based on a book called 'The Way Of Wyrd' by Brian Bates. Haven't read it. Anyone did ?
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
29.08.2007 - 12:49
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
And also, both History ... and Dreamweaver have been re-issued with bonus tracks (live)
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
29.08.2007 - 13:38
Baz Anderson
Staff
yep indeed. I have the re-mastered albums - as the originals are probably nearly impossible to get. hahaha
they have been out of print for so long..
these re-released albums are great though, between them there is all but one track from the live VHS they released after them and the interview notes inside them are interesting too

I've not read "The Way Of Wyrd" but if I was the sort of person that actually did read books then it would be on my list
01.09.2007 - 15:18
RavenLord
Written by Baz Anderson on 22.08.2007 at 01:29

They are a very pagan band, before each song Martin told us what it was about and more times than not it was something very pagan. Apparently the main reason they split up originally was because of a split in the band to do with the beliefs not being shared by everyone. Alas, we have Sabbat now and they are back to give us some more top class thrash again.

Actually, that's a common misconception. Martin cleared up the origin of the split in earlier interviews; it was a combination of musical differences (hence Walkyier's work in Skyclad later...he wanted to bring more folk influences in) and the sheer impossibility of their situation...they weren't making ANY money at all.

As for whether the band will write any new music, I can't say, but my impression was that they were reforming to play some festival dates and have a bit of a laugh. Whether it amounts to a serious reunion, we'll have to see.

They have two albums worth listening to - "History Of A Time To Come" and "Dreamweaver", the third has been forgotten about by the band as well as fans.
These two albums are really fantastic though, if you like thrash metal and don't know these albums - I highly recommend them!

I've heard some of 'Mourning Has Broken', and it's forgotten for a reason. Some of the riffs are good, but it sounds really thrown together...not at all in keeping with the first two albums. Otherwise, excellent band.
----
01.09.2007 - 15:25
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by RavenLord on 01.09.2007 at 15:18

Actually, that's a common misconception. Martin cleared up the origin of the split in earlier interviews; it was a combination of musical differences (hence Walkyier's work in Skyclad later...he wanted to bring more folk influences in) and the sheer impossibility of their situation...they weren't making ANY money at all.

As for whether the band will write any new music, I can't say, but my impression was that they were reforming to play some festival dates and have a bit of a laugh. Whether it amounts to a serious reunion, we'll have to see.

haha yes indeed, I read that this was not true a few days after I wrote that when I read the interviews in the re-released albums

I don't think we are going to get any new Sabbat releases either because Martin said a demo he did with another band was going to be the last time he was putting himself into new material
he said that a while ago though, so maybe he has changed his mind - we can hope. hahaha
01.09.2007 - 22:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Darkside Momo on 29.08.2007 at 12:49

And also, both History ... and Dreamweaver have been re-issued with bonus tracks (live)

2 loge tracks was in them home page I get them one year ago
----

01.09.2007 - 22:30
RavenLord
Written by Baz Anderson on 01.09.2007 at 15:25

I don't think we are going to get any new Sabbat releases either because Martin said a demo he did with another band was going to be the last time he was putting himself into new material
he said that a while ago though, so maybe he has changed his mind - we can hope. hahaha

I've heard that demo (The Clan Destined)...it's pretty cool, but more light entertainment to ponder than anything else. Walkyier's views are very strong, and the other members of TCD decided he was impossible to work with. Still, his work with Sabbat and Skyclad lives on, and I look forward to his writing, which he says he will take up.
----
01.09.2007 - 22:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by RavenLord on 01.09.2007 at 22:30

Written by Baz Anderson on 01.09.2007 at 15:25

I've heard that demo (The Clan Destined)...it's pretty cool, but more light entertainment to ponder than anything else. Walkyier's views are very strong, and the other members of TCD decided he was impossible to work with. Still, his work with Sabbat and Skyclad lives on, and I look forward to his writing, which he says he will take up.

Yeah I heard a song on a Terrorizer compilation and it sounded very good indeed.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.09.2007 - 23:14
Baz Anderson
Staff
ooh.. I've not heard it, but I suppose I don't want to get all excited about a demo of a dead band.. hahaha - it's a bit of an anti-climax. hahaha
oh well..

I wore my red Sabbat shirt out today for the first time..
it is very bright indeed!
20.06.2008 - 18:21
Candlemass
Defaeco
Total Classic! very speedy thrash metal, I love the screeching vocals,
superb thrash metal, and great theme for lyrics!!
Essential.
12.11.2008 - 14:03
VPeter
I can't understand that the Japanese Sabbat has so much fans, especially on last.fm. they don't just suck, they EXTREMELY suck. Venom worship acts are in general crap, but the Japanese Sabbat raises crap to a whole new level. Not to mention they dress like manowar, but look worse because they are all skinny little gimpy Japanese. And are all those live albums really needed?! and the whole "Christianity is evil, long live Satan! thing is so fake, Japan barely has any Christianity at all.

The British Sabbat is awesome, I really like it and normally I don't like thrash that much.
12.11.2008 - 14:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by VPeter on 12.11.2008 at 14:03

I can't understand that the Japanese Sabbat has so much fans, especially on last.fm. they don't just suck, they EXTREMELY suck. Venom worship acts are in general crap, but the Japanese Sabbat raises crap to a whole new level. Not to mention they dress like manowar, but look worse because they are all skinny little gimpy Japanese. And are all those live albums really needed?! and the whole "Christianity is evil, long live Satan! thing is so fake, Japan barely has any Christianity at all.

The British Sabbat is awesome, I really like it and normally I don't like thrash that much.

THIS BAND ARE FROM UK NOT JAPAN, japanish band are so overated like whole japan muisc generaly. Totaly overated band I hate Japan sabbat like I hate real madrid, but this is UK band OLD GOOD English band who play werry good thrash metal
----

12.11.2008 - 14:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

English thrash legends Sabbat,

Maybe you shood change title Sabbat(UK) because a lot of people are comfussed here they think its Japan overated crappy band
----

12.11.2008 - 14:26
VPeter
Who says I confused it? I was just ranting on the Japanese Sabbat who are not worthy of the name, I am glad that the profile of Sabbat here is the profile of the true Sabbat.