Metal Storm logo
Alice In Chains

02.06.2006 - 07:01
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
As I am listening to Alice in Chains I thought I would make a topic for them. I put it in Hard Rock because that is what it is closest to I suppose. Sometimes they lean towards the Metal side but other times fall back to the more Rock/Grunge area, so it's fine here. Anyway, are there any fans of this band? Personally I think Staley was one of the best vocalists ever and Cantrell is an amazing guitar player. It seems that Staley's melancholic wailing and Cantrell's crunching guitar work always went together perfectly. I don't have a favorite album really, as I enjoy all of their material equally.
----
The force will be with you, always.
02.06.2006 - 08:24
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Alice in Chains is my favorite alternative rock band, even though there are only about 4 alternative rock bands that I like. The vocals are my favorite part. Cantrell is a great guitarist, but Layne Staley is what made Alice in Chains.
02.06.2006 - 16:30
EddieGunner
Valkoinen kuolem
AiC is great band to best grunge band togetehr with Pearl Jam
but this what they trying to continue workin without Stanley taht bad i doubt thats gona be good as old Chains,
i Also heard that Duff (ex-Gnr) will play with them on tour
----
On pirun vaikea selvitä hengissä hautaan saakka
It is damn difficult to stay alive till the grave
Erno Paasilinna
:devil:
04.06.2006 - 18:20
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
I've began to listen to them recently and got blown away by the quality of their music: the vocals and guitar are great The best grunge band I know, probably because of their metal orientation...
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...
04.06.2006 - 19:39
Varoth
Account deleted
I'm a huge fan of this band, ever since I was 9 years old, when I first heard Facelift by chance. I got so heavily addicted to it, and I own about 9 releases by them nowadays. They got me into metal (yeah, I know they aren't pure metal, but when listening to their debut, Facelift, you can't deny the metal sound in it). I love everything about these guys. I listen to them less nowadays, but I still give a spin to their albums every once in a while, and they all still sound as great as they did in the past. I think my favourite album is Facelift, and then it would be Dirt. And just like Sekhmet stated, their vocals are great. Layne Staley was an amazing vocalist. Just too bad he was a junkie... He ended a great band... I know AIC are still active, but I'm not really happy with their decision. I might have not heard their new vocalist, but no one could replace Staley... (IMO, that is). He had a really unique voice. They should at least change a band name.
06.06.2006 - 09:52
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Here's some Alice In Chains news from their latest newsletter :

Hello Alice in Chains fans,

Good news for those who live in or near Portland, Oregon: Alice in Chains have officially announced that they will be the headlining act for KUFO's Rockfest XI. The show will take place on Saturday, July 29 at Columbia Meadows.

AliceInChains.com will be holding a presale for this show. It will start on Tuesday, June 6 at 9am PDT and tickets will be offered at a discounted presale price!

It's possible that this event will sell out prior to the public sale date. So if you want to make sure that you get your tickets for Rockfest, we strongly suggest that you take part in the presale. The presale will end on Friday, June 9 at 3pm PDT.

Tickets will be general admission and will be mailed out to you. More details on this show are available on the Tickets page.

In order to have a fast and smooth check out process, please sign up for a Store account in advance.

If you haven't check out AliceInChains.com's newest feature, Backstage with the Baldy yet, we suggest that you do so. Check out photos, read up on how the band's European tour is going and find out how Sean spent a milestone birthday.

That's it for this edition of Dirt. Expect to hear from us again soon.

AliceInChains.com
----
Your favorite band sucks.
06.06.2006 - 15:13
Vrana
one of my fav rock bands. Actually, i'm right now listening to Rooster. A good song, but my fav song is Nutshell, their first song I've heard. I loved it at the first time I've heard it, and I still love it.
07.06.2006 - 00:38
Mega-Slayer
Them Bones is the greatest!
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
09.06.2006 - 15:51
Hooded
Account deleted
One of my favorite grunge rock-band apart from soundgarden. Rooster; Angry Chair; and Heaven Beside You; are my favorite tracks from Alice in Chains.
16.06.2006 - 02:03
Xx-Celtic_Frost
Account deleted
An amazeing band but what was stated about Staley being the band is so not true, almost every hit single and every great song was written by Jerry Cantrell apart from him being one of the greatest guitarists to ever pick up the instrument he is one of the best modern day lyrcists that I could ever think of. For ex. the song Rooster was written about his father being in Vietnam every part of that song is true, from Gloria sent me pictures of my boy to got my pills gainst mosquito death, my budys breathing his diein breath, these words are so heartfelt and on a level no one has even tried to reach IMO. But with no disrespect to Layne he was an amazing vocalist with his eerie and haunting voice he made you feel the depression and grief that troubled him almost his whole life a great loss to the music industry. And to call him a junkie is pure total disrespect. I love this band by far one of my favs ever they are so awesome.

My favorite songs from them are. Rooster, Down In a Hole, Nutshell, Brother, Die, Bleed the Freak(heavy metal at its finest), I Stay Away,
No Excuses, and Man In the Box
17.06.2006 - 11:49
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
From the Alice In Chains newsletter :

"Hello Alice in Chains fans,

Two more summer dates have been announced!

The first will take place at California's Del Mar racetrack on Friday, Aug. 18. This show is free with paid admission to the track. For more details, please visit the racetrack's website.

The second show will take place two days later on Sunday, Aug.20 at the Konocti Harbor Resort and Spa, located in Northern California.

AliceInChains.com will be holding a presale for this show on Monday, June 19 at 11am PDT. This is an all-ages show and we are selling general admission tickets as well as assigned seating tickets. All the assigned seating tickets will be located close to the stage. For more details, please visit the Tickets page.
Jerry & William in Europe

And then stop by our Backstage with the Baldy section. The Baldy's been a busy guy; his page is now packed with new entries from Download (both Dublin and Donington), Katowice and Zlin. There are also new photos and a great entry about the sometimes dangerous world of the Alice in Chains tour bus.

Before we go, we here at AliceInChains.com want to give a big thanks to Paolo for the amazing pictures he took of the band performing at Milan, Italy's Gods of Metal Festival. We're currently using some of them on the homepage so be sure to check them out when you have a minute.

AliceInChains.com"
----
Your favorite band sucks.
20.06.2006 - 02:36
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
A.I.C are fuckin awesome man...my favorite album by them is Facelift...their best in my opinion...I'm stoked that they're back together...I remember seeing them back in 1995...what a fuckin show they put on...
20.06.2006 - 03:05
Soliloquy
i am familiar with the band, and really love some of the guitar work they have here and there. they arent my favorite band or anything. but maybe in the top 20 of my rock list? although their lyrics tend to be really weird and random. like 'i am guilty for kicking myself in the teeth' or soemthing like that... it would have been cool to see the band if they were still around, but too bad the vocalist died.
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
17.07.2006 - 18:50
nick35
Account deleted
i think alice in chains deserve more respect then they ever got. RIP Layne Staley
18.07.2006 - 16:23
Praise the Lard
Account deleted
Written by [user id=2084] on 20.06.2006 at 02:36

A.I.C are fuckin awesome man...my favorite album by them is Facelift...their best in my opinion...I'm stoked that they're back together...I remember seeing them back in 1995...what a fuckin show they put on...
I agree. Face lift was a gerat album. I dont feel they are grunge, they seemed to fall into metal/rock to me. I regret not seeing them live before his passing. He was a one of a kind vocalist.
18.07.2006 - 21:09
Endoftherainbow
Alice In Chains is my second favorite band that was compiled into the whole grunge movement. The guitar work of Jerry Cantrell is awsome and his backing vocals are so haunting and fit so well behind the excellent vocals of Layne Stanley. My favorite album by them is Dirt because it has so many of my favorite songs by them like Angry Chair and Down In A Hole. If they ever come near my town I'm definently going to see them because they seem like they'd be amazing live.
20.07.2006 - 07:44
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Endoftherainbow on 18.07.2006 at 21:09

Alice In Chains is my second favorite band that was compiled into the whole grunge movement. The guitar work of Jerry Cantrell is awsome and his backing vocals are so haunting and fit so well behind the excellent vocals of Layne Stanley. My favorite album by them is Dirt because it has so many of my favorite songs by them like Angry Chair and Down In A Hole. If they ever come near my town I'm definently going to see them because they seem like they'd be amazing live.

Yes indeed. It is a shame Staley died though. I wonder if they are still as good live with Cantrell on full vocals. I'm assuming he does them.
----
The force will be with you, always.
20.07.2006 - 08:27
Endoftherainbow
Written by Clintagräm on 20.07.2006 at 07:44

Written by Endoftherainbow on 18.07.2006 at 21:09

Yes indeed. It is a shame Staley died though. I wonder if they are still as good live with Cantrell on full vocals. I'm assuming he does them.

Yeah, it really is a shame he died he was such a great singer and his vocals fit the music so well he also wrote alot of great songs. I don't think that Cantrell has taken over full vocal duties from what I've heard they have guest singers for almost every show.
21.07.2006 - 00:12
lordz
IzZo
Alice in Chains are one of these bands that had their own music style... very talented
I liked Jar of Flies... it's the shit!!! I can play it on and on
03.08.2006 - 23:16
Freyya
A great band, I love their style, the lyrics, layne's voice was so perfect for grunge rock! Mi fav album is Jar of Flies because it's a record that made me explore into myself..hehe I simply adore this cd!
----
"Music was invented to confirm human loneliness"
10.08.2006 - 20:41
Soliloquy
humm...heads up people, they are doing a north american tour with duff mckiggin(guns n roses) to back them up and some other guy on the vocals. i'll post the tour dates as soon as i find them.

but keep your eyes on the tickets. the band is/was HUGE, so i wont be surprised if the tickets would be sold out in no time!
----

-Zakk Wylde
14.08.2006 - 17:56
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Soliloquy on 10.08.2006 at 20:41

they are doing a north american tour

More like an AMERICAN tour! hahaha...I just went on their website and it's all American dates so far...I hope that changes soon...
14.08.2006 - 20:57
Walter Iego
Author
Elite
Well, I got tired of their "style" rather quickly, because the songs were all depressing. I am not saying they are bad musicians, of course not, but their grungy sound is a sound that didn't stay around that long...
15.08.2006 - 02:36
Soliloquy
Written by [user id=2084] on 14.08.2006 at 17:56

Written by Soliloquy on 10.08.2006 at 20:41

they are doing a north american tour

More like an AMERICAN tour! hahaha...I just went on their website and it's all American dates so far...I hope that changes soon...

nope, my friend is getting their tickets for the toronto show tomorrow(tomorrow as in the 15th of august) becuase thats when the pre sale starts.
----

-Zakk Wylde
15.08.2006 - 04:43
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
So...the show is on Aug 15th? Shit...I'm gonna miss it! fuck...my life is meaningless...
18.08.2006 - 01:12
Soliloquy
/\ no its not on aug 15th. it was the start of the pre sale. the tickets go on sale tomorrow at 10:30

but it is for 56 bucks! fuck that, i'm not going
----

-Zakk Wylde
09.02.2007 - 00:05
rebelos
Account deleted
best grunge band ever!!!
f**k Nirvana AIC is here!!!!!

Dirt owns everything but everything is awesome about this band!
11.02.2007 - 00:03
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@rebelos: Agreed...someone should put a thread on the Metal Arena (if they haven't already): Alice In Chains vs Nirvana...I'd like to see how that would pan out...

@Praise the Lard: If you don't think they're grunge, that's perfectly alright with me...I mean, they started out as hair metal, installing a lot of bluesy metallic chords into their sound...their image is grunge and they install a small bit of grunge timbre into their sound...maybe you don't think they are grunge because they're so well produced, are better musicians then most other grunge artists, have more effective and heavier riffs, and deal with different lyrical content perhaps? That would mean that, if you want to call them grunge, they would be the undeniable cream of the crop...
18.02.2007 - 04:48
Black_Crown
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 02.06.2006 at 08:24

Alice in Chains is my favorite alternative rock band, even though there are only about 4 alternative rock bands that I like. The vocals are my favorite part. Cantrell is a great guitarist, but Layne Staley is what made Alice in Chains.

I disagree in a very frinendly way(i say this because some ppl have pine cones up there asses and think they know everythin) about Staley makin alice n chains sure he had the greates voice ive ever heard in my life lol but Cantrell actually made the band. He wrote probably 80% of the lyrics and all the music to their songs and without him there would be no AIC.

As the for band itself I love them probably one of my fav bands ever. From Staleys haunting vocal to Cantrells Wailin guitar every song was pure emotion, from hauntingly beautiful songs like Rooser, and Nutshell, to Lyrically Genius songs such as Would, Bleed the Freak, Frogs, and Man in the Box every song they recorded was pure poetry and amazing, not many bands can say they never had a bad song but AIC didnt. IMO a band that doesnt get enough credit and probably one of the best bands EVER in the history of music.
18.02.2007 - 05:10
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by [user id=17095] on 18.02.2007 at 04:48

Written by Dangerboner on 02.06.2006 at 08:24

I disagree in a very frinendly way(i say this because some ppl have pine cones up there asses and think they know everythin) about Staley makin alice n chains sure he had the greates voice ive ever heard in my life lol but Cantrell actually made the band. He wrote probably 80% of the lyrics and all the music to their songs and without him there would be no AIC.

As the for band itself I love them probably one of my fav bands ever. From Staleys haunting vocal to Cantrells Wailin guitar every song was pure emotion, from hauntingly beautiful songs like Rooser, and Nutshell, to Lyrically Genius songs such as Would, Bleed the Freak, Frogs, and Man in the Box every song they recorded was pure poetry and amazing, not many bands can say they never had a bad song but AIC didnt. IMO a band that doesnt get enough credit and probably one of the best bands EVER in the history of music.

haha well, yeah you're completely correct. I made that post a while ago, but what I think I meant was that Layne Staley is the biggest reason why I like them so much. Without Layne, I doubt I would think much about them, even though Jerry Cantrell is very talented.