Metal Storm logo
Rainbow

Original post

Posted by Geddysciple, 17.05.2006 - 04:28
Heavy Metal 101 ought to include due tribute to Ronnie James Dio, the godfather of metal vocals. This man brought all the theatrics and flair and enthusiasm to the metal world, and helped crystalize the basic elements of metal. Similarly, while Ritchie Blackmore certainly owes more of his guitar playing to the blues than he does to shredding, his songwriting and insurmountable skills of riff-crafting provided invaluable direction to guitarists everywhere looking for something fresh and killer to play.

Aside from the obvious anthem "Man on the Silver Mountain," Rainbow gave us gems like the proto-power-metal epic "Stargazer" and more songs than would be useful for me to list.

With MS3 just kicking off, I'd like to open a place to discuss and pay homage to one of the cornerstones of the development of heavy metal. In the middle of a bunch of amazing contemporary bands, it's often a good idea to take a turn back into the CD catalogue of history to pull out some seminal moments that guided the development of the genre to its current place. Any melodic metalhead needs to know a little Rainbow... these guys were just the top shelf when it came to super-solid songwriting, great riffs, inspiring solos, and clever musical concepts.

"Rainbow" might not sound as metal as "Carcass" or "Dragonforce", but nobody can give them crap for anything they ever managed in their career. Even after the departure of the almighty Ronnie James Dio, they produced some killer music ("I Surrender" being a favorite of mine).
01.02.2007 - 13:28
Warman
Erotic Stains
Can't say I'm a fan but I do own some kind of Rainbow best of album and it sure has it's moments. Dio himself though is an amazing vocalist.
----
01.02.2007 - 14:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Warman on 01.02.2007 at 13:28

Can't say I'm a fan but I do own some kind of Rainbow best of album and it sure has it's moments. Dio himself though is an amazing vocalist.

Indeed best Rainbow album well I cant choose ''RB Rainbow'' or ''Lomg Live Rock n Rool'' thank' good here are no such poll
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.02.2007 - 18:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Bad English on 01.02.2007 at 13:15

Written by Doc G. on 01.02.2007 at 07:27

Children of Bodom owe there lives to Rainbow & Deep Purple. Deny it all you want but you gotta see where im coming from.

what you mean by this

the similarity between the keyboards mostly.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
01.02.2007 - 18:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Doc G. on 01.02.2007 at 18:25

Children of Bodom owe there lives to Rainbow & Deep Purple. Deny it all you want but you gotta see where im coming from.

what you mean by this

In this case Rainbow keybords man keybordis ha sfinished some music university in London and he had a lot of degries but CoB doubt he get into it
----

apos;'
[image]
01.02.2007 - 20:22
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Bad English on 01.02.2007 at 18:33

Written by Doc G. on 01.02.2007 at 18:25

what you mean by this

In this case Rainbow keybords man keybordis ha sfinished some music university in London and he had a lot of degries but CoB doubt he get into it

Im talking influence wise here. Not necisarily skill wise.
----
- George Carlin
03.02.2007 - 16:38
Destiny
well i'm not a great fan of Rainbow but i am greatfull that they inspired grat bands like Helloween
----
www.av-studio.org http://www.av-studio.org
25.11.2007 - 13:00
Valentin B
Iconoclast
damn i am listening right now to "kill the king" and fuck me if it doesn't sound like Iron Maiden got Dio for a guest appearance!
25.11.2007 - 23:45
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
I listened to Rainbow for the first time in a while a few hours ago! they're definately one ov my favourite '70's bands! Much better than Deep Purple .......and Dio's solo career!
26.11.2007 - 09:02
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=160] on 25.11.2007 at 23:45

I listened to Rainbow for the first time in a while a few hours ago! they're definately one ov my favourite '70's bands! Much better than Deep Purple .......and Dio's solo career!

Hell yeah its like the best of 2 worlds, Ritchie & Ronnie are a killer combo, the only way they couldve been any better is if they got John Lord on keyboards.
----
- George Carlin
26.11.2007 - 22:59
Moeror
Great, great band! Richie and Dio, very good combination!
----
On the plain lies an angel, dead
01.12.2007 - 22:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Moeror on 26.11.2007 at 22:59

Rainbwo whit out Dio isnt Rainbow anymore specely for me
----

apos;'
[image]
02.12.2007 - 02:15
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 01.12.2007 at 22:54

Agreed!

I heard that Dio left because Ritchie Blackmore wanted to direct Rainbow into a more 'pop' direction.
02.12.2007 - 16:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=160] on 02.12.2007 at 02:15

Agreed!

I heard that Dio left because Ritchie Blackmore wanted to direct Rainbow into a more 'pop' direction.

Even how good player he are he are old that pop Rainbow are boring nothing whay I like it, better early Flletwood Mac how rainbow whit out dio
----

apos;'
[image]
19.12.2007 - 07:58
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=160] on 02.12.2007 at 02:15

Agreed!

Its true, theres a set of interviews with Dio on youtube (Actually, I think it was you I showed them to in the Dio thread or something) and he goes through all his albums up until that date, and yeah, that seems what he was getting at when he was bashing Blackmore.
----
- George Carlin
19.12.2007 - 14:43
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
@Dr. Rock:yeah, that's where I heard it from, but wtf though lol, the things he say are such a low blow, like about Blackmoe's past marriages and all. Damn!
20.12.2007 - 00:07
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
@Lowelas
He seems like a normal guy to me, hes just honest about everything. I Like the way he talks about album covers, and how Ritchie got to be on the cover of one album by himself.
----
- George Carlin
18.03.2008 - 23:00
DIO Is God
Account deleted
Early Rainbow material was the greatest thing to ever happen to heavy metal!! Ronnie Dio, Ritchie Blackmore, and Cozy Powell as a team was just unbelievable. The music they put out is my favorite stuff ever.
04.04.2008 - 10:02
Blood Raven
Written by [user id=26176] on 18.03.2008 at 23:00

Early Rainbow material was the greatest thing to ever happen to heavy metal!! Ronnie Dio, Ritchie Blackmore, and Cozy Powell as a team was just unbelievable. The music they put out is my favorite stuff ever.

Damned right! Magical music of early Rainbow days were so much closer to heavy metal than any other band in the 70's. Can you say I'm wrong? Fuck, put some heaviest songs of Sabbath, Zeppelin, Purple, Halen, Priest, KISS etc. and think once again what is closer to heavy metal? Any of these or Tarot Woman?

So sad that Ritchie lost his way, but I really like Bonnet, Turner and White era. They did some great albums, but if you compare Dio days with them, you have to bestow, that without divine voice of metal it wasn't the same anymore.
I saw Bonnet and Turner singing last summer, it was just great. I waited them like a exhausted vampire.
Hopefully we see reunion someday...as long as there's life, there's also hope... Blackmore and Dio back together, and I think that other memebers could be anyone that has played in Rainbow...Rondinelli, Morris and Daisley example.
04.04.2008 - 10:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Van Hallen n Rainbow sorry Van Halen ye sits simmilar firts albums not band bur leither shit thats only similarity between that band

DIO IS GOD best post about early Rainbow ever
----

apos;'
[image]
05.04.2008 - 05:59
DIO Is God
Account deleted
Written by Blood Raven on 04.04.2008 at 10:02

Written by [user id=26176] on 18.03.2008 at 23:00

Damned right! Magical music of early Rainbow days were so much closer to heavy metal than any other band in the 70's. Can you say I'm wrong? Fuck, put some heaviest songs of Sabbath, Zeppelin, Purple, Halen, Priest, KISS etc. and think once again what is closer to heavy metal? Any of these or Tarot Woman?

So sad that Ritchie lost his way, but I really like Bonnet, Turner and White era. They did some great albums, but if you compare Dio days with them, you have to bestow, that without divine voice of metal it wasn't the same anymore.
I saw Bonnet and Turner singing last summer, it was just great. I waited them like a exhausted vampire.
Hopefully we see reunion someday...as long as there's life, there's also hope... Blackmore and Dio back together, and I think that other memebers could be anyone that has played in Rainbow...Rondinelli, Morris and Daisley example.

I think you summed it up best, dude. No one could compare to the epic metal that Dio/Blackmore wrote together. Though, unfortunately, I don't think there's going to be a reunion, after Cozy died. I mean, he was the best drummer out of all the drummers Ritchie brought it. And, we people remember Rainbow, they remember him drumming away to "Stargazer", and "Kill the King." Speaking of Cozy, R.I.P. It's the anneversary of his death, as I write this . It's so sad, that he was taken from us. He was, IMO, the greatest drummer, out there. No one played like him, or even had the strength he had. He was just amazing. The only person close enough to his playing, to do a reunion, would be Ian Paice, of Deep Purple.
05.04.2008 - 06:02
DIO Is God
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 04.04.2008 at 10:12

Van Hallen n Rainbow sorry Van Halen ye sits simmilar firts albums not band bur leither shit thats only similarity between that band

DIO IS GOD best post about early Rainbow ever

Thanks man . I just find it sickening, how underrated Rainbow was, with how much talent they had.
08.04.2008 - 13:47
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I think they are great. I have a couple of albums. I'm not a fan though but I enjoy what they did.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
13.04.2008 - 03:21
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Actually Rainbow is IMO the first band announcing the birth of power metal.
13.04.2008 - 05:03
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Vinnie R. on 13.04.2008 at 03:21

Yeah, particularly the track 'Gates Of Babylon'. Though Zeppelin also showed signs of Power Metal a bit as well.
----
- George Carlin
13.04.2008 - 06:31
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Written by Doc G. on 13.04.2008 at 05:03

Yeah, particularly the track 'Gates Of Babylon'. Though Zeppelin also showed signs of Power Metal a bit as well.

Gates of babylon is just wondeful! And what about Stargazer? It's also a great msterpiece talking about epic things and stuff like that, many people despite blackmore because his attitude, but without him the metal scene couldn't be what is today.
13.04.2008 - 07:24
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Vinnie R. on 13.04.2008 at 06:31

Gates of babylon is just wondeful! And what about Stargazer? It's also a great msterpiece talking about epic things and stuff like that, many people despite blackmore because his attitude, but without him the metal scene couldn't be what is today.

I dont despise Blackmore because of his attitude, I despise him for how terrible his music got after Dio left Rainbow.
----
- George Carlin
14.04.2008 - 00:02
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Written by Doc G. on 13.04.2008 at 07:24

Written by Vinnie R. on 13.04.2008 at 06:31

I dont despise Blackmore because of his attitude, I despise him for how terrible his music got after Dio left Rainbow.

There are some good songs after Dio era, like Spotlight Kid, the guitar solo is insane, but you're right, after that the band became more poppy.
15.04.2008 - 17:29
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Richy Blackmore and Ronny James Dio is a pretty awsome combination, and while I wish I listened to more of these guys, I can say this much about them: They were epic.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
19.04.2008 - 00:02
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted

How do you figure that?
19.04.2008 - 09:37
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
@Lowless: They get the rock into a high level doing amazing neoclassical things with solos, and the rythm, weel man you know that this is a band covered by many power metal groups, so the sound we listen today in power metal came from ritchie blakmore, or what do you think man?