Metal Storm logo
Best guitarist of solo albums

Original post

Posted by Yossarian, 11.05.2009 - 11:42
Hi all,

I know that there are already some polls about this feature. But I am focusing here just in guitarists that have produced and are known mainly by their solo albums. I am quite enthusiastic about knowing your thoughts about who is the most skilled out of these 9. Please consider everything related to technique: speed, use of distortion and pedals, elegance, difficulty in shredding... and take also into account their feeling while playing and all issues in general. There is another poll containing some of these nine, but Michael Angelo, Vinnie, Tony and Joe are not featured and they are quite important in the "axe" scene.
Now I have to say that there are others such as Joey Tafolla, Jason Becker, Michael Lee Firkins, Jose Luis Pizarro... that I have not included because they are not so popular and there are many great guitarists playing in their own bands or delivering not mainly instrumental albums such as Petrucci, Van Halen, James Murphy, Skolnick... and many others from another time: Buckethead, Dimebag, Akira Tabayashi, Ritchie Blackmore, Paul Quinn -Saxon-, Michael Schenker, Adrian Vandenberg and all Ozzy, Dio and Thin Lizzy guitarists.

I knew Yngwie in 1987, and IMO he is still the best Axe composing sung songs as in Marching Out, Odissey..., then Satriani, close later Vai after playing in Whitesnake and showing himself in the film "Crossroads" with "Karate Kid" back in @1989. I knew Vinnie from Vicious Rumors, Paul Gilbert from Racer X and Jason-Marty from Cacophony. Macalpine and Michael Angelo came into scene some time after and, finally, I listened Eric Johnson after being part of G3 most recently. I used to be fan of Satriani until I watched him together with Vai in the same concert "Leyendas de la Guitarra" in Seville 1992. After that, Vai has been my favourite and, despite how good are the others, with difference.

Well, what is your choice?

Poll

What is your favourite guitarrist out of these 9 axes?

Marty Friedman
Joe Satriani
Yngwie
Steve Vai
Paul Gilbert
Michael Angelo Batio
Tony MaCalpine
Vinnie Moore
Eric Johnson

Total votes: 106
28.05.2009 - 12:40
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Satriani!! Well, I have almost all of his CDs. I practically worship him.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
29.05.2009 - 12:19
Demon Heart
So I voted for Yngwie, the king of Guitar Solos
----
It's a black cloud over head
That's me
And the poison ivy chokes the tree
Again it's me
29.05.2009 - 19:00
Yossarian
Written by chematss on 27.05.2009 at 21:25

i had to vote for Marty cause Marty is the one I listen to more often.. Maybe not the best but he is still my favourite out of these 9.

Ps. Sorry for my English

Hi again.

It is o.k. to vote for Marty. I love him -musically-. He is astonishing. Vai and Satriani are perhaps more "showy" and sometimes it is difficult to withstand listening a whole album from Vai. -Some of his songs are...well...no comments- Regarding this, Marty's albums are perhaps more, let's say, regular.
However, when I see Vai playing, I get dumbstruck.

About you English, I don't know why you say that...It is perfect. Without errors. It's o.k.

Cheers.
05.06.2009 - 18:57
Yossarian
Come on.

No votes for Vinnie yet?

Do you know him?

Try myspace, youtube or lastfm and blow up your mind. I have placed some links above.

Cheers
15.06.2009 - 19:31
Yossarian
Hello??...
I am bored. No visits.
Did you guys listen Vinnie already?
16.06.2009 - 13:16
terrorist
Marty definitely.He is creative for sure.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
16.06.2009 - 16:54
Faust
I voted Marty! and his Dragon kiss album is my favourite guitar album, for years thar i've been listening it and can't get bored
Yngwie comes just after.

Jason Becker is missing in the list, i would have vote him othewise.
----
"May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you are dead"
01.07.2009 - 23:32
Yossarian
Written by Faust on 16.06.2009 at 16:54

Jason Becker is missing in the list, i would have vote him otherwise.

Yes. I know. I did not put him, since I thought he had just recorded 1 album before the illness. However, I learned recently that he wrote another one played by Michael Lee Firkins among other guitarists. As I said above in other post, I regret not having include Jason, Greg Howe or even Richie Kotzen, but there is only room for 9
09.07.2009 - 10:17
IronBlackZepp
Well it would be hard for me to vote on this one because I have not heard enough Friedman, although he is great. I like Malmsteen, Satch, and Vai a little, they all have some great shred songs that we all can enjoy. Gilbert is good but he is not a fav of mine yet. I only like one Batio song, and thats speed kills, so it cannot be him. The other 3 I really do not care for much, so right now I would probably go for Malmsteeen, but that is only because I know his stuff more then Satch, Vai, Gilbert, and Friedman. Ill come back later when I hear more.
19.08.2009 - 01:27
Razorback
Marty Friedman no doubt ,creative,unique,and amazing bit still there are very good musicians on the list .
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
01.10.2009 - 07:02
ToMegaTherion
Joe Satriani is a guitarist with special abilities not only for him self, he has so much he help create good guitarists.
19.10.2009 - 18:41
Yossarian
Marty is still the leader. Surprising for me, but please don't misunderstand...He is a great axe and, as I say before, it is very difficult to choose between the ones in the list and some others that I could not include. However, have you people listened to fully Vinnie, Macalpine or Satriani and have you seen Vai performing. IMO the last two are more skilled and creative than Marty, though they are not so metallic, nevertheless...
21.10.2009 - 22:07
Mehrdad89
Marty no doubt!!!
22.10.2009 - 02:03
ToMegaTherion
One that people might find curious is the solo work of Lanvall, the guitarist and main songwritter of Edenbridge. He has made numerous guitar albums, usually very atmospheric and eerie but very good definitely.
22.10.2009 - 02:05
ToMegaTherion

becker is very very good as well.
06.11.2009 - 06:57
Yossarian
Written by ToMegaTherion on 22.10.2009 at 02:05

I totally agree, but there can be just 9 choices, unfortunately.
06.11.2009 - 07:35
ToMegaTherion
Written by Yossarian on 06.11.2009 at 06:57

Written by ToMegaTherion on 22.10.2009 at 02:05

I totally agree, but there can be just 9 choices, unfortunately.

Yeah i know, just wanted to make sure becker was mentioned.

Hey what about Andy Le Roque, im not certain about any solo projects of his, but he dose perform along side King Diamond on his solo project
06.11.2009 - 19:39
Yossarian
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah i know, just wanted to make sure becker was mentioned.

Hey what about Andy Le Roque, im not certain about any solo projects of his, but he dose perform along side King Diamond on his solo project

Andy is fantastic. As far as I know -and webvestigate-, he has no solo projects, I mean, instrumental solo projects. And perhaps, he is less eclectic than Jason and the others.
28.11.2009 - 19:47
Jason Becker,Jeff Loomis,Paul Gilbert,Patrick Rondat...
16.01.2010 - 15:55
Justice
I voted for gilbert but please try Jeff Loomis
03.02.2010 - 23:32
Yossarian
Written by instrumentalman on 28.11.2009 at 19:47

Jason Becker,Jeff Loomis,Paul Gilbert,Patrick Rondat...

I will try Patrick Rondat. I didn't know him...
06.02.2010 - 02:36
Scourge
Vote to Yngwie
----
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and bitter...
06.02.2010 - 02:37
Scourge
Does anybody know Marc Rizzo? he would be my first choice.
----
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and bitter...
07.02.2010 - 13:27
Saitenhexerin
Jeff Loomis is missing! Zero Order is absolutely amazing, one of my favourite albums!
Check it uot if you don't know it yet, you wno't regret it
Of the above mentioned, Vai and Satriani!
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
13.02.2010 - 19:29
Hellish Star
Lots of guitar heroes are missing but it's impossible to add them all. I voted Marty Friedman because of"Dragon's kiss" although the very first Malmsteen is a classic one too.... Another one I adore is Patrick Rondat with "Rape of the earth"
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
14.02.2010 - 02:56
His Eminence
Account deleted
This was probably one of the hardest choices for me. The ones out of the list that I really, really enjoy are Friedman, Satriani, Vai, Gilbert, and Johnson. But the one I would have to choose is Joe Satriani. Even though the others are absolutely amazing, Satch has something about his music that I absolutely love. It seems like out of all the guitarists in the poll, Satriani doesn't feel the need to include insane runs in almost EVERY song. In my opinion his songwriting is slightly above those on the list. Eric Johnson would probably come in at a close second.
18.02.2010 - 21:41
Yossarian
Written by Hellish Star on 13.02.2010 at 19:29

Lots of guitar heroes are missing but it's impossible to add them all. I voted Marty Friedman because of"Dragon's kiss" although the very first Malmsteen is a classic one too.... Another one I adore is Patrick Rondat with "Rape of the earth"

All right. Convinced. I looked in youtube and Rondat is amazing...
I will get sth from him.

Cheers
20.02.2010 - 18:59
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I've voted for Satriani. Definitely one of the best guitarists of all time IMO.

As Saitenhexerin mentioned, Jeff Loomis is missing! But then again, we cant include all the good ones.. no space? There's always Rusty Cooley and John Petrucci too.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
25.02.2010 - 22:02
Yossarian
Written by Dark Blood on 20.02.2010 at 18:59

As Saitenhexerin mentioned, Jeff Loomis is missing! But then again, we cant include all the good ones.. no space? There's always Rusty Cooley and John Petrucci too.

Hi. I meant no room really when i said "space" -it was a literal translation from Spanish-, you can only place 9 options in every poll. I would have liked to include Petrucci, Buckethead, Greg Howe, me -joking-, Jason Becker or Patrick Rondat -recently discovered-, but... no room.
25.02.2010 - 22:28
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by Yossarian on 25.02.2010 at 22:02

Written by Dark Blood on 20.02.2010 at 18:59

Hi. I meant no room really when i said "space" -it was a literal translation from Spanish-, you can only place 9 options in every poll. I would have liked to include Petrucci, Buckethead, Greg Howe, me -joking-, Jason Becker or Patrick Rondat -recently discovered-, but... no room.

Yeah I know. There are just too many good guitarists to be mentioned in the poll.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.