Metal Storm logo
Yes

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 17.05.2006 - 20:29
Yet another highly influential innovator in the progressive rock genre...Yes are more influential in combining folk with progressive rock...the 70s were all about Yes creating complex progressive rock structures with folk dominating the main musical aspect of the band...after citing creative difficulties in the mid-late 70s after Tormado was released, the band broke up...

In 1980, the band got back together again while some of the members, wanting to go under a different name and in a different direction but after Geoffrey Downes;s inspired them with his ideas while meeting in the same studio, Chris Squire decided to resurrect Yes, bringing the band into the 80s with 1980's Drama...

Anyway, I'm not going to sit here and do a bio...so yeah, Yes..I know a lot of MSers like them...
15.07.2007 - 17:03
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Thanks guys
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
29.07.2007 - 08:06
Amethyst
Account deleted
Yes. Their creative complexity is something remarkable, together with their quality as musicians.

And Jon's voice, OF COURSE. In my opinion, one of the best prog rock voices ever.
30.07.2007 - 19:16
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by [user id=25051] on 29.07.2007 at 08:06

Yes. Their creative complexity is something remarkable, together with their quality as musicians.

And Jon's voice, OF COURSE. In my opinion, one of the best prog rock voices ever.

Have you ever heard his solo material?

I agree, he is one of the best. I got to see him and James LaBrie sing together. Wonderful, just wonderful!
----
(space for rent)
31.07.2007 - 07:11
Amethyst
Account deleted
Quote:
Have you ever heard his solo material?

I agree, he is one of the best. I got to see him and James LaBrie sing together. Wonderful, just wonderful!

Wow. I didn't even know they sang together =S I should get some info.....
I really like LaBrie too. His style is unique, and his voice powerful. He suits perfectly DT's music.

(happyhappyhappy they're coming soon to Argentina n.n)
02.08.2007 - 03:51
APOHAKC
The Bard
I listened to them when I was younger, but few days ago I went to my best man, and he is into this trip, and we drinked beer and listened to Yes and I felt fantastic, I was so happy that I came home, play them and fall asleep after few minutes, sound stupid, but I can listen them only when I am with friends.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
02.08.2007 - 17:19
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by [user id=25051] on 31.07.2007 at 07:11

Wow. I didn't even know they sang together =S I should get some info.....
I really like LaBrie too. His style is unique, and his voice powerful. He suits perfectly DT's music.

(happyhappyhappy they're coming soon to Argentina n.n)

Yeah, a few years ago they had their 30th anniversary tour, and they invited Dream Theater to be their opening act.
----
(space for rent)
20.03.2009 - 20:08
Elio
Red Nightmare
Siberian Kathru is such an hell of a song. Close to the Edge has to be one of my favourite albums, while Fragile can't stand the comparison.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
23.03.2009 - 05:44
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Siberian Kathru has a killer groove and makes me want to listen to it again and again
12.05.2009 - 06:13
Metal_Militia
This is such a great band. I love Close to the Edge so much. True progressive pioneers that derserve all the credit they get.
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

30.12.2009 - 00:02
Don Martin
le fu-
Yes are totally awesome. I lost my Yes-virginity when I saw Yessongs for ?8 and I bought because it had one of the most beautiful covers ever. Me and my dad were laughing all the way home about the fact we bought a Yes record, but it turned out pretty damn good! Rick Wakeman does a beautiful solo-piece in The Six Wives of Henry VIII, check it out!
----
What a tackastrophe!
07.06.2011 - 06:04
bj_waters
I know I'm necro-ing an old thread but Yes is my favorite band, period, so I have to say something. They're putting a new album out next month, so it's relevant, right? (Totally stoked for that btw. Similar line-up as Drama? One of the most underrated albums in their discography? AWESOME!)

Anyways, my personal favorite is The Yes Album, but my second favorite is The Ladder. One of the other things about Yes is how underrated their 90s material is. Talk is probably the most underrated album they've done (ENDLESS DREAM!!! 15 minutes of pure awesome!). The Ladder only shows how much they've grown and learned from their experiences. Great stuff.

Written by [user id=5321] on 24.05.2006 at 19:32

"Heart of the Sunrise" is an Excellent example showpiece for any Sympho rock band.
The First song even had a short version and was played on the radio.
Its a shame that the keyborad player didnt have much time, he could have done a much better work (Not that the work is bad, but he Could have done more).
He only came in in the middle of the project.a shame.

I think I would add that Rick Wakeman's done an incredible amount of work since then. And of course he's got his great solo albums.

It's also worth mentioning some of their splinter bands, like Asia and ABWH. Especially the latter; their one album is incredible.
07.06.2011 - 16:03
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Yes will release a new album this summer (Fly from Here); the line up for this album was quite unstable, Jon Anderson is not in the band anymore, the son of Rick wakeman was their keyboardist but he left, too only to be replaced by Geoff Downes (who worked with Yes on the 1980 Drama album). Also Trevor Horn is back (he did vocals on the Drama album). So basically the line up is the same as on the 1980 Drama album plus the replacement of Jon Anderson since he left, Benoit David. I'm looking forward to this album, I'm curious what they will come up with.
07.06.2011 - 19:58
bj_waters
I'm under the impression that Trevor Horn is doing more production duties than any actual singing like 90125 (wikipedia has him doing some backing vocals though). I've only heard Benoit David in some Youtube Videos, so I'm very curious about the album as well. After 10 years, it's a little hard not to be anxious, especially when I thought Magnification was only fairly good (not among their best is what I'm trying to say).
07.08.2011 - 12:22
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
They play a show in Portugal soon.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
12.08.2011 - 05:07
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Still haven't listened their new album yet...
18.02.2012 - 02:04
bj_waters
So Yes has ANOTHER new singer. Apparently Benoit David is down with a respiratory disease so they picked up Jon Davison, the lead singer of ANOTHER Yes Tribute band (this one called Roundabout; David's was Close to the Edge). For what it's worth, his voice is pretty interesting, but you can see for yourself:

I think he has the range, but his voice is a little thicker than Jon Anderson's (which is more floaty, in my opinion; David had that, too). It's interesting to say the least.

Also, it turns out that Jon Davison has been working for the past few years with another prog rock group called Glass Hammer. I had never heard of them until just now, but I gave them a listen and they sound VERY Yes. Has anyone else heard this band?
18.02.2012 - 17:40
vezzy
Stallmanite
The Revealing Science of God has been pounded to death recently on my playlist.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
18.02.2012 - 17:59
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 18.02.2012 at 17:40

The Revealing Science of God has been pounded to death recently on my playlist.

kudos for that
15.08.2012 - 00:09
bj_waters
I just finally saw Yes in concert for the first time! It was awesome. While I didn't get Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman, Jon Davidson did an amazing job! (Geoff was just okay, but he really wasn't given much to do, I thought). I was able to take some videos which I will now post below. I apologize for the poor quality (I hope you like lens flares), but it was just an iPod Touch.

The Setlist was:
Yours Is No Disgrace
Tempus Fugit
I've Seen All Good People
America
Steve Howe Solo (which including something from Tales of Topographic Oceans, but I wasn't sure what).
Fly From Here
Wonderous Stories
Heart of the Sunrise
Awaken
Roundabout

Not having anything from Close to the Edge seems weird in retrospect, but it was a great show, nevertheless.
25.08.2012 - 06:08
helofloki
From what I've heard they can't stand each other anymore and only do music together now for money... but I still really want to see them. I've had several chances and I never jumped on them, but these guys are getting old and damn are they great. I've heard they are incredible live. One of my favorite bands for sure, prog at its best. Close to the Edge and Fragile are two of the greatest albums of all time.
25.08.2012 - 06:48
bj_waters
Written by helofloki on 25.08.2012 at 06:08

From what I've heard they can't stand each other anymore and only do music together now for money...

I dunno about that. Maybe between Jon Anderson and Howe/Squire/White, but even then, I doubt it's that bad. I think that the current line-up is pretty happy with each other, and there have been talks about doing a new album with Jon Davidson next year, which is kind of crazy. Between THREE new Asia albums in the last five years, Fly From Here, and potentially another with Yes next year, Steve Howe seems kind of unstoppable.
07.09.2012 - 22:05
Yellax
The quality of musicianship that has been presented on Fly From Here is top notch. It sounds like the current line-up has amazing chemistry and will be together for quite some time.
----
I'm a furry. Get used to it.
08.09.2012 - 00:08
bj_waters
Written by Yellax on 07.09.2012 at 22:05

The quality of musicianship that has been presented on Fly From Here is top notch. It sounds like the current line-up has amazing chemistry and will be together for quite some time.

But Benoit David was the singer on Fly From Here, and the current singer is Jon Davidson. I don't know how much of a difference that will make, but I figured I had better point that out.
10.09.2012 - 17:00
Yellax
Written by bj_waters on 08.09.2012 at 00:08

Written by Yellax on 07.09.2012 at 22:05

But Benoit David was the singer on Fly From Here, and the current singer is Jon Davidson. I don't know how much of a difference that will make, but I figured I had better point that out.

Oops! My bad. Well, thank you for pointing that out. Benoit David was a great replacement for Jon Anderson though; he sounded just like him. I haven't heard the current vocalist yet. I guess I will on the next album!
----
10.09.2012 - 22:49
bj_waters
Written by Yellax on 10.09.2012 at 17:00

Oops! My bad. Well, thank you for pointing that out. Benoit David was a great replacement for Jon Anderson though; he sounded just like him. I haven't heard the current vocalist yet. I guess I will on the next album!

No problem. To be honest, I'm always afraid that I'm being too pedantic when I do stuff like that.

As for hearing the new vocalist, you can check out the two videos I posted further up this thread (and probably find others on YouTube) or you can check out the two studio albums he did with Glass Hammer, If and Cor Cordium (they're VERY influenced by Yes).
10.09.2012 - 23:17
Yellax
@bj_waters: Don't worry about that at all. I should have looked it up before I posted. Yes has gone through a lot of members in the past 40 some years so...
----
13.03.2013 - 17:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.03.2013 - 17:56
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 13.03.2013 at 17:37

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/9926491/Yes-guitarist-Peter-Banks-dies.html

Guitarist passes away

for a second I thought Steve Howe died...

Sad news, Peter Banks was a talented musician, I only heard his albums with Yes and his band Flash which released 3 albums, really good music.
13.03.2013 - 17:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=17278] on 13.03.2013 at 17:56

Written by Bad English on 13.03.2013 at 17:37

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/9926491/Yes-guitarist-Peter-Banks-dies.html

Guitarist passes away

for a second I thought Steve Howe died...

Sad news, Peter Banks was a talented musician, I only heard his albums with Yes and his band Flash which released 3 albums, really good music.

Yes is band what I like but i dont know much about line up, just daley news check I found out taht he passed away
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.03.2016 - 11:27
slim pickings
Account deleted
Jon Anderson & Roine Stolt (of The Flower Kings) have made an album together that will be released late June 2016. This is an interesting collaboration that coud be something great. I'm looking forward to it.