Metal Storm logo
Stephen King

Original post

Posted by Damnated, 17.05.2006 - 21:22
One of the best horror writers of all time, King manages to literally scare the shit out of the reader. I dunno about you guys, but while I was reading Miserry, I was scared. This is one of my fav books from King, the other would be The Stand.
28.07.2006 - 10:14
W-Lash
Metal Master
Any other suggestions to my question?
02.08.2006 - 05:51
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I have read some of Stephen King's books:

The Dark Tower. From I to IV and I absolutely loved it, King is the king of horror and that kind of dark litewrature, and The Dark Tower is deffinitely his masterpiece.

Cujo. Scared teh fuck out of, me because when i read it I had a dog, and I was like 15 years or something like that and I thought my damn dog, or any street dog, was going to become a maniac killer dog and attack me!

Bag Of Bones Deffinitely a MUST in Kings books. A story of past and future and weird dreams, a writer that looses his inspiration and goes to a house he owns near a lake to find it again, but he finds tha his deepest fears will come there to haunt him.

The Long Walk.A classic. A race in which the runners must run non-stopping for a goddman lot of kilometers. If they stop for more than 10 secs, they get killed! A young man assumes the challenge of running and wininnig this death race, or at least finish it alive.

Desperation, the one I'm currently reading, is located in the interestate 50, "The loneliest Highway of America", when some people meet a weird policeman form a town called Desperation, (a mining half abandoned town), who turns out to be a sick maniac that kidnaps and kills and jails them... And it seems that the guys from the mines dug too deep and woke up some evil or something, that got into the policeman...

Those are the Stephen King books I have read. I hope to get the other Dark Tower ones, and get many more books by him, because he's a great writer, spite the critics call hims "The king of cheap literature" Fuck the critics!
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
03.08.2006 - 05:53
Daru Jericho
I've read some of King's novels and I have to say, I love his works. I feel totally at ease with his writing style. It's clear, contains a good vocabulary and its subtley dark among other things. He's not perfect; sometimes I think he makes a novel unecessarily longer than it needs to be, for example 'Dreamcatcher'.

My favourite out of the books I've read is without a doubt 'Pet Semaratry' (the film was utter bollocks though). This book isn't exactly in-you-face shitting-pants scary but it's more the ideas presented behind it that scare me. You have to think about them for a while. King does send shivers up my spine many a time.

As for the movies that are mad efrom his books, most of the time they're really sucessful. I love most of the ones I've seen. When I was much younger, one of my childhood films was the awesome 'Running Man' and about 3 years ago I found out that it was based on a book written by King. I've been searching for this book when I feel in the mood to buy some King but can't find it in bookstores. I'm sure it's rather accessable online but I can't buy things online.

To conclude, great author. Fuck the critics, indeed.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

03.08.2006 - 06:47
Wo0dy
Account deleted
ive seen some of the movies he made, there pretty good..considering much horrors arent like as good as his...there weird but in a good way
19.08.2006 - 14:33
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
i have heard that he was greatly influenced by Lovecraft (in any case the true king of horror and suspense ) being a great fan of Lovecrafts work, please tell could someone of you compare the two writers for me, so that i know if buying some of his stuff might be worth it for me
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
19.08.2006 - 15:30
BlackSneaky
Account deleted
I've run out of book of his to read :/ .. So I'm reading Anne Rice's books now. Those about the Vampire Lestat is god-damned good!
22.08.2006 - 19:00
Damnated
Churchburner
Any of you read his works under the 'Richard Bachman' name? I read the regulators, but didn't like it very much.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
22.08.2006 - 20:35
Warman
Erotic Stains
I've read Misery, Carrie and Thinner. I loved them all! Stephen King is without doubt one of my favourite authors.
----
23.08.2006 - 22:48
Nyarlatothep
Stephen King has done some extremly nice works, and some in the far other end as well:-)

The latest works Dark Tower is bloody Brilliant:-)
----
"To defend one's life and the safety of one's fatherland is the prize and excellence of this discipline"
29.08.2006 - 02:25
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
The dark tower is undoubtedly his best work in my oppinion, it kicks mucho ass, I even opened up my own poll on the series if anyone wants to go there
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
06.04.2008 - 16:41
adnaks
Account deleted
I really loved The long walk and The running man from his Bachman period.I would like to read Rage but it's kind of hard to get it because it's out of print. I guess I was most disappointed in The girl who loved Tom Gordon and From a Buick 8. That was just boring and stupid...
07.04.2008 - 13:57
Makosh'
Account deleted
i have never read his books,but i saw a lots of films made by his stories.It's was fantastic)
My Mom after story with toy soldiers is afraid of yellow ducks)))))
19.04.2008 - 01:08
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
i have read it and misery, carrie, firestarter, the tommyknockers and the shining. reading misery actually scared me i was scared someone was gonna like attck me with an axe...

i have watched alot more stephen king adaptations films like:
The Stand
Tommyknockers
The Shining
Carrie
Dolores Claibourne
Misery
It
errrr and loads more i cant remeber them haha
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
19.04.2008 - 23:32
Graveheart
The best King adaptation films are made from his non-horror stories. Stand by Me, Dolores Claiborne, The Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption etc. Although I heard the new one, 1408, is actually a pleasant surprise.

Hearts in Atlantis was on the tv today, I taped it and haven't watched it yet. I enjoyed the book a little, but the movie is nothing special according to a review in the newspaper.
13.05.2008 - 06:13
Hrothdane
I was inspired by hansi and jon schaffer to go read the dark tower, and I'm on book 4 and I must say I love it. I really like how unpretentious his writing style is, and how focused he is on the story and plot.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
20.05.2008 - 23:02
bloodlover
Account deleted
just finished "The Shining" awesome book...gonna see the movie soon...even if probably the book is better
29.05.2008 - 20:26
KlownvonnomaD
I'm not the biggest fan in the world. But the Dark Tower collection (like your all saying) is very very good. Marvel have a graphic novel of the series which I'd like to check out, should be quite interesting.
----
Minutes seem like days
Since fires ruled the sky
The rich became the beggars
And fools became the wise
Memories linger in my brain
Burning from the acid rain
A pain I never have won
23.11.2009 - 02:07
King is mean.

Couldn't get into The Dark Tower.

Misery is great.
Rose Madder is my favourite of his.
Also really enjoyed Duma Key (that was frightening), Pet Sematery, Hearts in Atlantis, and The Dark Half.
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
23.11.2009 - 14:07
Warman
Erotic Stains
Okay since my last post - which is three years old - I've also read "The Stand", "Cell", "Everything's Eventual", "Sceleton Crew", "Nightshift", "Roadwork" and has started on "The Gunslinger".
"Misery" will still probably always be my favourite although "The Stand" is pretty darn close. And King isn't longer one of my favourites, he is THE favourite of mine.
----
28.11.2009 - 17:45
Hamird
Lieutenant
I always liked Stephen King books. He's got talent in horror writing.. I really like his The Mist, 1408 and above all, Lunch at The Gotham Cafe.. These three are the best pieces of writings which I've ever read from Stephen King..
20.12.2010 - 20:34
JD
Account deleted
Rose Red i watched the movie, i like it so much! but i never read any book by Stephen King.
20.12.2010 - 21:31
whatsacow
Rage was great, but its published under a different name. Stephen King made a few novels under the name Richard Bachman, for many rumoured reasons which I can't be bothered going into. Luckily he did, because obe of his short stories, "Rage", got banned in America and Australia for quite a few years. It is about a high school shooting, and it is fucked up. Also, the running man is always good for a bit of fun, although not scary at all (And a little too much description of old man penis...)
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
28.12.2010 - 22:48
Jan
I have just finished "The Dome". I believe that Kings output the last few years have been lacking compared to his "golden run" which lasted from the mid Seventies to the early Nineties. Lacking because I love his horror stories most of all - but the man is a master storyteller, no matter which style and genre he works in.

I was a major fan back then, but have more or less stopped reading him. But then I have read a goodly portion of his works, many more than once:

Carrie
'Salem's Lot
Shining, The
Dead Zone, The
Firestarter
Cujo
Pet Sematary
Christine
Talisman, The
Cycle of the Werewolf
IT
Eyes of the Dragon, The
Misery
Tommyknockers, The
Dark Half, The
Stand, The
Needful Things
Gerald's Game
Dolores Claiborne
Insomnia
Rose Madder
Desperation
Bag of Bones
From A Buick 8
Under the Dome
Different Seasons
Four Past Midnight
Night Shift
Skeleton Crew
Long Walk, The
Rage
Regulators, The
Roadwork
Running Man, The
Thinner
Dance Macabre
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft

(Bold = favourite)
31.12.2010 - 15:39
Kitty
King has his moments, I guess. I really liked Carrie, Pet Sematary and Night Shift.
I used to read more of his novels back when I was young, though. Nowdays I just lack the patience for his writing-style.
----
...And I meowmeowmeow!
09.01.2011 - 05:15
Zenzero
Zenzero
Written by Kitty on 31.12.2010 at 15:39

King has his moments, I guess. I really liked Carrie, Pet Sematary and Night Shift.
I used to read more of his novels back when I was young, though. Nowdays I just lack the patience for his writing-style.

when you were young?? you're not young anymore?? fuck, it means i'm really old!!
09.01.2011 - 05:25
Zenzero
Zenzero
I read... in order:
IT
THE STAND
THE TALISMAN
THE BLACK HOUSE
THE RUNNING MAN
DIFFERENT SEASONS
TOMMYKNOCKERS
THE EYES OF THE DRAGON

I loved all of these except tommyknockers, it sucks!
I have to start soon THE LONG WALK and SALEM'S LOT!

I read too one book by his child.... and I think that everyone here would like it!!! the title is HEART-SHAPED BOX, and the nickname of him is JOE HILL. In this book there's a lot of rock and a gothic girl!!
10.01.2011 - 21:34
Kitty
Written by Zenzero on 09.01.2011 at 05:15

when you were young?? you're not young anymore?? fuck, it means i'm really old!!

Saying 'young' I meant like, 13 years old.
----
...And I meowmeowmeow!
14.01.2011 - 15:11
Zenzero
Zenzero
Written by Kitty on 10.01.2011 at 21:34

Written by Zenzero on 09.01.2011 at 05:15

Saying 'young' I meant like, 13 years old.

eheh Think that I started "It" when I was young but finished 4 years later.... next was "the stand" (my 2nd King's book) but lucly I read it in 4 months and not years...
14.01.2011 - 16:41
Yavanna
Well, I have read lots of King´s books and I really like it.
And I have to agree that The Dark Tower is a real masterpiece... I read the seven books, one after another, and it took less than one month to reading.
He is my second favorite writer. The first place obviously is for Tolkien.
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
30.11.2011 - 10:37
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Unfortunately I haven't read most of his stuff, only the first three books of The Dark Tower series. The first one was very good, the second one blew my mind and the third one was just all over the place, random and annoying. I have seen a lot of films and TV series that are based on his works though and I know he's been very involved in most of them. I loved The Shawshank Redemption and consider it one of the best films ever made, I was bored out of my skull by The Shining, nothing in that film made me care even the least bit, I kind of liked The Green Mile and I really liked The Stand mini series as far as the plot, atmosphere and music goes, but most of the performances were useless. Most of the other series based on his books I find mildly entertaining. So overall I would say that I am a semi-fan of King's, but one thing about his stories bugs me. It's the stupid endings. Whether it is literally the hand of God saving the day (why the hell did three good men have to die in Las Vegas if Randall Flagg was going to die anyway?) or a giant alien spider or just giant aliens, King almost always manages to write dumb anti-climactic endings that leave me very unsatisfied. While I am really glad that his endings are often tragic and not crowd-pleasing forced happy crappy crap endings, I wish he'd come up with something that lived up to the fantastic build-up in most of his stories.