Metal Storm logo
Rating abuse

Original post

Posted by Groby94, 11.10.2014 - 19:08
I just noticed this happening today. I checked all of the top albums this year and most of their ratings suddenly went down, and that's because of several 1 ratings appeared out of nowhere during the night.

Something should be done about this, not because of stupid reasons as "my favorite band isn't 1st place omg". The rating system should reflect the real overall opinion of the users on the album (duh), and it should help other users decide whether they would want to give the album a shot or not (among other factors, of course).
29.12.2014 - 02:53
Darth Revan
Take a look at all those 1's.
29.12.2014 - 03:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Darth Revan on 29.12.2014 at 02:53

interesting, like I told in previus site my hinch is those 2 guys who did to Metallica 1 are same, this did same to older album
Might be 3 same users?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.12.2014 - 03:43
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Bad English on 29.12.2014 at 03:02

interesting, like I told in previus site my hinch is those 2 guys who did to Metallica 1 are same, this did same to older album
Might be 3 same users?

I don't think so. What happens is that those three are the most commented Metallica albums and when someone who is not into Metallica wants to check an album for curiosity he'll end up checking these. It's what happened to me. I rated the few I heard like 3 if I remember =P

Plus this guy here only voted 1 for one of them

As much as this guy hates much of what he's been listening I wouldn't say he's a vote abuser. What seems to be happening is that he occasionally checks an album that got hype here on the site and ends up not liking and thus rating it low. It's not like he listened to an entire discography of Emmure and rated every album 1, like the other guy you linked.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
29.12.2014 - 04:40
Darth Revan
That could be the case. Still, 32 1's, which is by far the most common vote this dude put out? There's a lot of people that rate albums too highly, which is understandable because people generally seek out things that they think they like (as one should), confirmation bias kicks in, "I knew it would be a perfect album! *clicks 10*". But if most of your votes are 1's I can only assume that you're either seeking albums to dislike on purpose, drastically underrating albums to troll, or you've just happened to have the worst luck in the world and constantly get recommended things you absolutely despise.

As for the Metallica thing... I doubt those two people are the same because their voting patterns aside from rating the two Metallica albums very low are vastly different. Adding this one to the pile makes it even less probable, especially when there's a large amount of people who think Metallica started being shit right after Master of Puppets. That said, IP checks don't lie, so I might be wrong on that one.
29.12.2014 - 08:49
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite

Dealt with. Graciás.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

05.01.2015 - 22:30
Darth Revan
Likely multis
18.01.2015 - 18:27
Uldreth
http://metalstorm.net/users/album_votes.php?user_id=140449

Might be borderline, but he seems to be tanking multiple discographies.
18.01.2015 - 19:04
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Uldreth on 18.01.2015 at 18:27

1s and 2s make a third of his total votes, to me that's not so borderline. Good catch. We'll see what our Majors with the red button think of it.
18.01.2015 - 19:22
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Interesting voting pattern. Somehow it doesnt seem like abuse for me. Just a guy with very high standards, I dunno
----
- Reimu Hakurei
19.01.2015 - 00:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Its on the border, but I doubthe has heard those 1,2 albums IMO
Is like 6. 7, 6 also there
----

19.01.2015 - 01:10
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by [user id=142921] on 03.01.2015 at 07:49

Not enough votes in the eyes of some but I'd still consider this abuse.

Dealt with
----

psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Darth Revan on 05.01.2015 at 22:30

Likely multis

Dealt with
----

psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Uldreth on 18.01.2015 at 18:27

Dealt with
----

19.01.2015 - 01:12
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Gracias por deine diligence! Go forth and continue thy inquisition, Minions!
----

20.01.2015 - 21:51
Uldreth
Looks like I am the new accidental vote police.

http://metalstorm.net/users/reborn_epidemic/profile

User has been inactive for a gazillion years, but this is as vote abuse as youcan get.
20.01.2015 - 21:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Uldreth on 20.01.2015 at 21:51

User has been inactive for a gazillion years, but this is as vote abuse as youcan get.

yes but Last seen online: 1664d ago
----

20.01.2015 - 21:56
Uldreth
Written by Bad English on 20.01.2015 at 21:53

I'm pretty sure the votes appear on the band/album page, even if they were cast about five years ago .
20.01.2015 - 21:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Uldreth on 20.01.2015 at 21:56

Written by Bad English on 20.01.2015 at 21:53

I'm pretty sure the votes appear on the band/album page, even if they were cast about five years ago .

yes but it was more less about ban hammer
----

20.01.2015 - 22:01
Uldreth
Written by Bad English on 20.01.2015 at 21:58

Are you implying there is an automatic profile deletion after long (really long) inactivity?

I'm sorry, I'm not really understanding you :/ .
20.01.2015 - 22:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Uldreth on 20.01.2015 at 22:01

Written by Bad English on 20.01.2015 at 21:58

Are you implying there is an automatic profile deletion after long (really long) inactivity?

I'm sorry, I'm not really understanding you :/ .

some ppl has banned from voting if they abuse
----

21.01.2015 - 01:08
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Uldreth on 20.01.2015 at 21:51

Done.
----

02.02.2015 - 21:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Triple vote abuse account (at least). Dumb ass commented on the same thread within a few minutes giving himself away.

http://www.metalstorm.net/users/PeneAfricano/profile
http://www.metalstorm.net/users/profile.php?user_id=154104
http://www.metalstorm.net/users/profile.php?user_id=154102
02.02.2015 - 23:21
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Wow, some people really have a lot of free time. What's the purpose of creating 3 accounts to post shit like that? =P
----
- Reimu Hakurei
03.02.2015 - 05:31
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by [user id=4365] on 02.02.2015 at 21:42

Triple vote abuse account (at least). Dumb ass commented on the same thread within a few minutes giving himself away.

http://www.metalstorm.net/users/PeneAfricano/profile
http://www.metalstorm.net/users/profile.php?user_id=154104
http://www.metalstorm.net/users/profile.php?user_id=154102

Judged
Judged
Judged

----

15.02.2015 - 08:25
Darth Revan
Just a random idea here regarding abuse. How about a feature that just lets mods immediately see IP addresses for people when searching a rating list? Like when you click "Show All Voters" you would see a scrolling list of IP addresses corresponding with the usernames. It would make it much easier to snuff out multis. Mind you, because I'm not a mod and cannot see IP addresses, this might already be implemented to begin with, making the point moot...
15.02.2015 - 12:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Darth Revan on 15.02.2015 at 08:25

Just a random idea here regarding abuse. How about a feature that just lets mods immediately see IP addresses for people when searching a rating list? Like when you click "Show All Voters" you would see a scrolling list of IP addresses corresponding with the usernames. It would make it much easier to snuff out multis. Mind you, because I'm not a mod and cannot see IP addresses, this might already be implemented to begin with, making the point moot...

Ppl who has has + moderator and admins can see all user IP's
and there is view logs option as well
----

15.02.2015 - 13:57
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Darth Revan on 15.02.2015 at 08:25

They're not listed on that page, but we (Moderators only) can see them on your profile page. So it's just a matter of right-click>open in new tab to see a user's ip address.
----

16.02.2015 - 18:59
Darth Revan
DISCLAIMER: THIS COMMENT IS A POINTLESS EXPLANATION OF WHY I THOUGHT A POINTLESS IDEA WAS GOOD. DOUBLE POINTLESSNESS RIGHT THERE.

I knew mods could see Ip's through profiles. The reason I brought up the list idea is because it seems that a lot of users who aren't necessarily using other forms of voting abuse could comfortably get away with multis if they don't act suspicious. Simply put, a mod has no reason to look up someone's IP address unless they're obviously tanking albums. In a list, multis could be systematically sniffed out via ctrl+f.

And then suddenly I came to the realization that ain't nobody got time for that... Nevermind, carry on.
16.02.2015 - 20:18
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Darth Revan on 16.02.2015 at 18:59

DISCLAIMER: THIS COMMENT IS A POINTLESS EXPLANATION OF WHY I THOUGHT A POINTLESS IDEA WAS GOOD. DOUBLE POINTLESSNESS RIGHT THERE.

I knew mods could see Ip's through profiles. The reason I brought up the list idea is because it seems that a lot of users who aren't necessarily using other forms of voting abuse could comfortably get away with multis if they don't act suspicious. Simply put, a mod has no reason to look up someone's IP address unless they're obviously tanking albums. In a list, multis could be systematically sniffed out via ctrl+f.

And then suddenly I came to the realization that ain't nobody got time for that... Nevermind, carry on.

It's only an extra step to do it this way, whereas Idk how much extra work it would be for our coder to code the ips to the ratings lists. And as Mods we're already use to doing extra work around here, so it's not a big enough deal that we feel it necessary to have the coding done just to save us a few extra minutes of work. Plus, it's really not that big of a deal to us.
----

11.06.2015 - 03:54
Timmeh
Dudeman
I don't really follow this issue too fanatically, but, how many of these guys make a profile simply in an oppositional rage to down vote a few albums only to never really use their profile again?

If it's common maybe a mandatory wait period of say, 2 weeks/1 month before the user has the permission to vote would drastically reduce the problem? So their rage has time to mellow out

I believe forum sites like Neoseeker employ such a tactic where an account has to be approved activation (sometimes taking weeks). Otherwise say a casual reader, sees something in a forum thread which they have an intense disagreement with, makes an account, immediately starts arguing.

Downside is more 'accepting' average people have to wait because of a few twats.

All psychology, all conjecture. Who the fuck knows if'd work, why did I even say this then?