Metal Storm logo
Nu Metal bands you like

Original post

Posted by +{Jonas}+, 16.03.2007 - 01:51
So, the title says it all. I made this so the ones here that like nu metal can discuss about the bands we like. So about me, I like:

Godsmack (Although for me it's Alternative), because their songs are really cool, and they have great lyrics and the "Changes" DVD is simply awesome, and theitr drums are great. Sully's voice is quite unique, and their lyrics are pretty nice.

Slipknot, because of their energy, the outfits look great, and their lyrics make me laugh, besides their live shows are quite impressive. Also Vol. 3 is a change, IMO they found that they don't have to scream for everything, and they prove it with a great accoustic song.

Disturbed: David's voice is great. and with their thrid album,. 10.000 fists" they try a new, more melodic sound. besides Dan Donegan proves himself as a great guitar player

KoRn: But only the first albums.

Evanescence, because Amy lee has a great voice, but their last album, "The Open Door" was a big letdown for me.

Also Adema, TrustCompany, Breaking Benjamin, Linkin Park, Chevelle, Mudvayne, Soil and I enjoy Metallica's St. Anger.

So that's it. If you have band suggestions you can and must post them as well. If you don't like Nu metal, please don't post bashing bands and attacking with things like "X band sucks" or "Nu metal sucks". Please, let's have some respect for the other fellow MSers taste.
29.03.2007 - 03:32
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Anathemani@c on 24.03.2007 at 13:25

Rammstein are a great band.. Alboums such as Mutter, Sonne and their last Rossenrot have pissed me off!!!:gunner:

Rammstein is Industrial Metal, not Nu my friend.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
31.03.2007 - 07:16
Dan066
Account deleted
Godsmack is okay, probably one of the best nu-metal bands today. System of a down also is pretty good, I really like their drummer. Are they considered nu-metal?
31.03.2007 - 07:21
Dan066
Account deleted
Written by ilicit on 18.03.2007 at 15:55

> Mudvayne (best band ever)
> SoaD (not nu imo, but u get it)
> Staind (cuz its great no matter what you may say)
> KoRn (like to hear it sometimes.. old korn of course)

and then you have Tool, Dry Kill Logic, Soulfly, Evanescence, 36 Crazyfists, Disturbed.. a few bands that i listen to also once in a while.

Please, PLEASE don't call Tool nu-metal. It's not that i dislike nu-metal, it's just that Tool shouldnt be categorized into that genre. They just influenced nu-metal, but they are alternative metal/progressive metal. They are definetly not nu-metal.
01.04.2007 - 00:16
Warman
Erotic Stains
Yeah, I'd never categorize Tool as Nu Metal, they're more some kind of Alternative Avantgarde Metal.
----
02.04.2007 - 06:48
AlexCromlech
Account deleted
Wtf Tool isn't Nu Metal!!!

Mudvayne have some ohk songs....
02.04.2007 - 12:59
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Well, definately KoRn! I started out with them with Issues and I believe it's a remarkable album! I love all their albums actually, IMO Untouchables is an amazing album as well, my second favourite. Korn for me personally is the best nu metal act out there, the guys are great musicians and they remain original from album to album.

Other bands I enjoy are Lostprophets, actually their first album - they started as a nu metal band, now they went to alter rock (and I love both of their eras), early Papa Roach (Infest, which is more of a rock album, but it has nu metal features and therefore is oftenly classified as nu metal), some Static-X, Adema and of course Rage Against The Machine.

There are some bands that are ofently mistaken for nu metal though, such of them Deftones and System of A Down, whom I also deeply love, but I wouldn't put them in the nu metal range.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
03.04.2007 - 03:51
APOHAKC
The Bard
I liked Papa Roach when I was younger, but I don't listen them anymore, I don't hate them eather, I never liked KoRn, or any other band, I don't know how I ever liked Papa Roach, but I liked The Offspring (I don't say that they are NU Metal!!!) too so...
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
03.04.2007 - 22:33
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I like Korn and some Linkin Park, but definitly NOT the things they did with Jay-Z...damn that was bad. I also like some Papa Roach and System Of A Down.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
04.04.2007 - 07:20
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Warman on 01.04.2007 at 00:16

Yeah, I'd never categorize Tool as Nu Metal, they're more some kind of Alternative Avantgarde Metal.

Tool isnt Nu-metal, the reason some consider them nu-metal is simply the fan base, most nu-metal fans I know also really like Tool.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
04.04.2007 - 10:47
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 04.04.2007 at 07:20

Written by Warman on 01.04.2007 at 00:16

Tool isnt Nu-metal, the reason some consider them nu-metal is simply the fan base, most nu-metal fans I know also really like Tool.

Also people having a lack of knowledge about what constitutes existent metal subgenres, such as the aforementioned.
04.04.2007 - 20:55
Sunioj
Written by AnGina-- on 02.04.2007 at 12:59

Well, definately KoRn! I started out with them with Issues and I believe it's a remarkable album! I love all their albums actually, IMO Untouchables is an amazing album as well, my second favourite. Korn for me personally is the best nu metal act out there, the guys are great musicians and they remain original from album to album.

IMO, this is the nu metal band that I have the most admiration for...Life is peachy and follow the leaders=amazing
05.04.2007 - 00:31
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I would like to recommend Soil. Great band, but in the first three albums, whe Ryab McCombs was the vocalist. they certainly lowered their level with the vocalist change.They're still pretty good, but with Ryan they were better.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

05.04.2007 - 18:32
l33t_sas
Account deleted
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 16.03.2007 at 04:11

Written by Bitch Boy on 16.03.2007 at 03:42

I also enjoy some songs by Evanescence, Mudvayne, and Linkin Park. I own one song from Godsmack, "Awake", amazing song. Same with Breaking Benjamin, "Forget it", it's really cool, but that's the only thing I know about the band, never heard anything else.

You must check both of them, really.- Godsmakc is simply amazing, Awake is teh song that gave them fame, but they have better songs. About Breaking Benjamin, "Forget it" is a really nice ballad, but the harder songs are way better.

Godsmack are nothing but a giant Alice in Chains rip-off with some extra metal influences. Seriously. I have no repesct for this band.
05.04.2007 - 18:51
Olli
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 05.04.2007 at 00:31

I would like to recommend Soil. Great band, but in the first three albums, whe Ryab McCombs was the vocalist. they certainly lowered their level with the vocalist change.They're still pretty good, but with Ryan they were better.

Yeah soil is a very good band, i only have the scars album atm but i will definetly get some more soon
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
06.04.2007 - 19:00
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by [user id=22600] on 05.04.2007 at 18:32

I also enjoy some songs by Evanescence, Mudvayne, and Linkin Park. I own one song from Godsmack, "Awake", amazing song. Same with Breaking Benjamin, "Forget it", it's really cool, but that's the only thing I know about the band, never heard anything else.

You must check both of them, really.- Godsmakc is simply amazing, Awake is teh song that gave them fame, but they have better songs. About Breaking Benjamin, "Forget it" is a really nice ballad, but the harder songs are way better.

Godsmack are nothing but a giant Alice in Chains rip-off with some extra metal influences. Seriously. I have no repesct for this band.

Actually kid, they're more a Metallica/Pantera rip-off. However, we can't deny they have amazing drums. Their lyrics slam and they're a very dynamic band. Obviously you haven't explored them enough. I strongly recomend you the "Faceless" album and "The Other Side" EP, and of course the "Changes" DVD. You'll find - mainly on the DVD that they are one of the best Nu/Altermnative bands nowadays.
----

06.04.2007 - 19:05
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Olli on 05.04.2007 at 18:51

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 05.04.2007 at 00:31

Yeah Soil is a very good band, i only have the scars album atm but i will definetly get some more soon

You must get "Redefine" partner. It's by far their best album.
----

09.04.2007 - 15:44
l33t_sas
Account deleted
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 06.04.2007 at 19:00

Written by [user id=22600] on 05.04.2007 at 18:32

Actually kid, they're more a Metallica/Pantera rip-off. However, we can't deny they have amazing drums. Their lyrics slam and they're a very dynamic band. Obviously you haven't explored them enough. I strongly recomend you the "Faceless" album and "The Other Side" EP, and of course the "Changes" DVD. You'll find - mainly on the DVD that they are one of the best Nu/Altermnative bands nowadays.

There are many examples of comparisons to Alice in Chains. Sully Erna's style of singing mirrors that of Layne Staley's while the overall sound of the band's first two albums sound incredibly similar to the sound of the Alice in Chains album, Dirt. The logo of Godsmack is similar to the sun logo of Alice in Chains. Godsmack also released an album titled "Faceless" which is similar in name to Alice in Chains' first album Facelift. The band's name is identical to the title of an Alice in Chains song from the album Dirt, being God Smack. In their video, "Keep Away," a boy dressed and wearing a haircut very similar to Alice in Chains singer Layne Staley is seen as the main "character" of the video, though his face is never seen. The band even transcended from their heavy sound to a more mellow acoustic sound on their album The Other Side in the same manner Alice in Chains did in Sap and Jar of Flies. More recently, Godsmack have attempted to distance themselves from the Alice in Chains comparison with Erna stating in an interview with Matt Ashare, "I've just never really heard that in our music."

-From Wikipedia

Seriously, they've ripped off AiC's style, song title, logo and the acoustic/heavy album thing, it's disgusting, they don't deserve to be called musicians. I actually liked Godsmack when I first heard them because of the similarities to AiC which were at the time my favourite band but then when I found out a little bit more about them I lost all my respect for them. And I can't listen to music if I don't respect the artist.
09.04.2007 - 17:41
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by [user id=22600] on 09.04.2007 at 15:44

There are many examples of comparisons to Alice in Chains. Sully Erna's style of singing mirrors that of Layne Staley's while the overall sound of the band's first two albums sound incredibly similar to the sound of the Alice in Chains album, Dirt. The logo of Godsmack is similar to the sun logo of Alice in Chains. Godsmack also released an album titled "Faceless" which is similar in name to Alice in Chains' first album Facelift. The band's name is identical to the title of an Alice in Chains song from the album Dirt, being God Smack. In their video, "Keep Away," a boy dressed and wearing a haircut very similar to Alice in Chains singer Layne Staley is seen as the main "character" of the video, though his face is never seen. The band even transcended from their heavy sound to a more mellow acoustic sound on their album The Other Side in the same manner Alice in Chains did in Sap and Jar of Flies. More recently, Godsmack have attempted to distance themselves from the Alice in Chains comparison with Erna stating in an interview with Matt Ashare, "I've just never really heard that in our music."

-From Wikipedia

Seriously, they've ripped off AiC's style, song title, logo and the acoustic/heavy album thing, it's disgusting, they don't deserve to be called musicians. I actually liked Godsmack when I first heard them because of the similarities to AiC which were at the time my favourite band but then when I found out a little bit more about them I lost all my respect for them. And I can't listen to music if I don't respect the artist.

Well, there's nothign to say about the logo and the singing. Still, The Other Side is only an acoustic EP like many other acoustic EPs other bands release. I still think they sond a lot like Metallica+Pantera. Hell, even mom notices the similarity in the voice between Sully and James Hetfield. Still, that's my oppinion, being a Godsmack fan for years. I won't try to persuade you to like them, you have good arguments.
----

26.04.2007 - 23:18
Nixx
Account deleted
Godsmack, early-Korn, early-Soad, and some PaParoach songs (really nice/thought through lyrics).

EDIT: forgot to put Mudvayne on that list, atleast songs like "Not Falling".
27.04.2007 - 06:00
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Well, I have Chevelle's new album, Vena Sera. It's quite good actually. The voice sounds completely like a Maynard JAmes Keenan Rip-off. But it's still a pretty enjoyable album. I recommmend it to all of you.

@Nixx: Yeah, Papa Roach first album was quite enjoyable. Lovehatetragedy has some goods songs too.
----

27.04.2007 - 06:49
magick
Account deleted
Well I don't mind... Mushroomhead, Dry Kill Logic, Slipknot, Spineshank, Helmet(probably more alternative metal than nu, but I still like them anyways :p) early KoRn, early Soad, and Disturbed as far as nu-metal goes.
27.04.2007 - 14:42
MadGatsu
System of a Down worked for me some time ago. Their first 2 albums kicked ass \m/
----
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
27.04.2007 - 14:51
Nixx
Account deleted
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 27.04.2007 at 06:00

@Nixx: Yeah, Papa Roach first album was quite enjoyable. Lovehatetragedy has some goods songs too.

Indeed, their first album's lyrics are just so, open and honest, and I respect those kind of song-writers.
Songs like "Broken Home", "Black Cell(?)" and "Between Angels and Insects" are truly great.

yes they rap more on the first album than the latter ones (and me that doesn't stand rap -.-"), but I think all the good lyric-writing and melodies kinda sums up for it, if you know what I mean.
27.04.2007 - 15:29
MadGatsu
Written by [user id=20369] on 27.04.2007 at 14:51

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 27.04.2007 at 06:00

Indeed, their first album's lyrics are just so, open and honest, and I respect those kind of song-writers.
Songs like "Broken Home", "Black Cell(?)" and "Between Angels and Insects" are truly great.

yes they rap more on the first album than the latter ones (and me that doesn't stand rap -.-"), but I think all the good lyric-writing and melodies kinda sums up for it, if you know what I mean.

i guess Papa Roach were ok in the first two albums as well.
----
30.04.2007 - 16:39
magick
Account deleted
Yeah, Papa Roach is cool too "Infest" is a good nu-metal album with very catchy and well put together songs and actually has a bit of variety. I also enjoy some of their newer alternative rock stuff such as "Getting Away With Murder", which was pretty cool.
30.04.2007 - 19:11
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by MadGatsu on 27.04.2007 at 14:42

System of a Down worked for me some time ago. Their first 2 albums kicked ass \m/

Have you listened to their new albums? Just wondering...I want to get some sort of opinion on them before I look into them you know...
30.04.2007 - 20:26
magick
Account deleted
Written by [user id=2084] on 30.04.2007 at 19:11

Written by MadGatsu on 27.04.2007 at 14:42

Have you listened to their new albums? Just wondering...I want to get some sort of opinion on them before I look into them you know...

There new albums are different and defintely more rock oriented, and a bit more experimental. The vocals are different being Serj shared vocals duties with the guitar player, Daron(who has a very squeaky voice that's a bit annoying, well in my opinion.) One of the positive things is that they have played around with different guitar tones and musically have branched out from their original style, for better or for worse, varies on a person to person basis. There is also much more of a mystical Middle Eastern atmosphere in the music, and the lyrics are much more political. Hey I don't mind some of newer SOAD's(early SOAD is better by far though) stuff it's kinda something you'll either like alot and get tired of it or be like what the ****, and then grow into it and be hooked on it for awhile until you get tired of it; others will just plainly hate them and throw their new CD away. It's all opinion based but newer SOAD is far different from the older SOAD.
01.05.2007 - 00:25
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Well, if SOAD is more experimental then they are worth checking out...I think they've had shared vocals on harmonies in previous songs...Daron is actually singing whole songs? I heard a sample of one of their songs on a commercial on Much Music here in Canada once awhile ago (can't remember...) and it sounded like they really evolved...
01.05.2007 - 01:19
MadGatsu
Written by [user id=2084] on 01.05.2007 at 00:25

Well, if SOAD is more experimental then they are worth checking out...I think they've had shared vocals on harmonies in previous songs...Daron is actually singing whole songs? I heard a sample of one of their songs on a commercial on Much Music here in Canada once awhile ago (can't remember...) and it sounded like they really evolved...

i dont like the new stuff. too many slow songs for my taste. i liked the first 2 albums. fast and awesome songs from beginning to the end. \m/ jus the way i like it
----
01.05.2007 - 05:40
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Well, I'm a fan of their earlier stuff for sure...that's why I wanted a solid opinion about their most recent stuff because they have some pretty bad ass material from past albums...