Metal Storm logo
Rugby Union

Original post

Posted by Judas, 08.09.2007 - 08:34
The 2007 Rugby World Cup has kicked off in France, and I just realised that there isn't a thread for this fine game on Metalstorm! So, all who are interested in this game, named for the Rugby School in England where William Webb Ellis picked up a football during a game and ran with it, here is a thread for you to talk about recent developments and to ask questions about that which you may not understand.

Now, about the World Cup, I didn't get to watch the first match because it was really early in the morning for us here, but when I woke up I was stunned to see that Argentina had beaten France, the host nation! Any thoughts on the game from those who did see it?
27.09.2015 - 01:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
England 25-28 Wales
I didn't predicated this ... I really didn't, I thought England will win, nor fun when host nation goes out , because I believe they will
whit this shit Ausie needs win Wales whit 4 trees and get bonus point and also whit plus 7 or more points in game , and stop Wales for getting bonus point and same they needs do whit England (even in overall are more important in that game as bonus points)
Same they should run over Uruguay whit Bonus point... I know that wanking in last 20 min against Fiji was was mistake, they needed get 4th tree and bonus point, they had chances. Seems All Blacks will take it this year or?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.09.2015 - 02:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by M C Vice on 25.09.2015 at 04:18

16 teams means no byes, everyone plays every week.

you prefer union or league?
3 nations now has Arg ad they won in SA lol
why ex 3 nations was only one game whit each not classic home and away?

Super rugby or what it will call, I google it and Ausie and S Africa groups, then best 4 in total will play in play offs
How it will be played, only ausie/NZ group whit each other an S Africa to, or no matter what group you are you play whit all teams ... NZ vs SA and so on
----

apos;'
[image]
30.09.2015 - 11:38
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Bad English on 30.09.2015 at 02:02

Super rugby or what it will call, I google it and Ausie and S Africa groups, then best 4 in total will play in play offs
How it will be played, only ausie/NZ group whit each other an S Africa to, or no matter what group you are you play whit all teams ... NZ vs SA and so on

League.
And no idea. I looked at the Super Rugby draw on Wikipedia and it looks too complicated.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
30.09.2015 - 11:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by M C Vice on 30.09.2015 at 11:38

Written by Bad English on 30.09.2015 at 02:02

League.
And no idea. I looked at the Super Rugby draw on Wikipedia and it looks too complicated.

any in this site can help me lol
it looks indeed, I hope it will mix Aus vs SA teams as well, otherwise it wont make a sence, it will be S Africa championship
----

apos;'
[image]
02.10.2015 - 02:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Wales 23-13 Fiji

2 teams what should play in semi final England and Australia , will fight for going out from group and playing in quarters.... It will be hellowa game, Ausie-England and Ausie-Wales ...all hopes are open. If Wales would get 4 or more trys and bonus point, it would be over for one of super teams. Now Wales are advanced place in next WC in Japan 2019 ... (BTW France to over winning Canada). Today I will watch All Blacks vs Georgia

France 41-18 Canada
----

apos;'
[image]
04.10.2015 - 02:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
England 13-33 Australia
By By England, 1th nation in RU WC what is host and don't qualify to quarter finals .. shame can go on, if England lose to Uruguay they wont qualify to next RU WC in Japan 2019 ...
anyway remember Australia vs England in 2003 in Australia, when Johnny Wilkinson kicked great drop goal in OT and England became champions, this was revenge. BTW you lost to old colony lol
Ausie got easy points and try ij early minutes, 2 mistakes, but it can happen, but they lost because 10min penalty aka red card in 70 min. I don't want to be that French referee at the moment, anyway England could take this game. Great one best so far, now I want see South Africa. Bets game, as final, even result is to huge, but fight for inches, every ball was awesome ...

Australia vs Wales.. well winner will get Scotland (probably) and looser South Africa
Wales has many injuries

rest is not so interesting atm

Samoa is oit, NZ is in quarters
France in quarters, Canada out ,,,r est teams are open for play offs and 3th what quarentie auto place for next WC
----

apos;'
[image]
08.10.2015 - 02:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Summarizing last 2 days
2 games left in each group

A: Fiji 47-15 Uruguay
Group, all is clear (1-2 in each group plays in play offs , 1-2-3 gets auto place in net WC 4-5 goes home
Ausie, Walles / Englnd / Fiji, Uruguay
Ausie vs Wales will play against each other and winner be Nr 1.... and Nr 2 gest Ausie and nr 1 Scotland

B:
South Africa 64-0 USA
Since Rugby is weird gam and get try is had sometimes its fun see when BIG BOYS plays whit outsider, you see a lot of tries (BTW ausie didn't get any conversions at this game, not even tried score penalty and drop goal) , and same time when big boys plays whit each other it means a lot of fisical game and hard to get points and basically fight for inches.
BTW S Africans are tall men, 2m and more, a lot f them plus such body as rugby players and muscles, strength, its hard to stop them , biggest advantage for them.

This group is weird japan is host in 2019 WC it means they are there
S Afica, Scotland / Japan / Samoa / US so Samoa as 4th place because Japs are there qualify

C: Namibia 16-17 Georgia
Georgia came here to win Tonga and Namibia, they did, its good I am proud of Georgians

Interesting group Tonga can get In play ofs and then Arg be r 2 and Geo Nr 4 ... but they needs to win All Blacks, and if they do it would be miracle so I say
Nz, Arg / Geo / Tonga /Namibia

D:
Canada 15-17 Romania
IMO 1th time in WC I ever see team leading 15-0 lose matcha nd do it in last minute basically when in theory you can win, but its hard
Last min Geo get try 15-15, and then conversion what gives 2 points and win
I don't recall such event

Interesting
France vs Ireland fight for 1th place / Italy - Romania for 3th one and auto for WC and Canada goes home

trilling ending
BTW looking at points getting bonus point is so important
Try 5 points, conversions 2, drop goal and penalty 3

Win 4 points, draw 2, get 4 and more trys 1 bonus point, so winner get 4 , lose 7 and less, you get bonus, so looser get 1 ... nice system, I like it
----

apos;'
[image]
11.10.2015 - 23:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
So final day in groups
A: England 60-3 Uruguay ... 9 tries wtf , but it didn't change much

Like I told 1-2 quarters/ 3th guarantied place in next Rugby WC in japan 2019/ go home

Australia , Walles / England /Fiji, Uruguay

B: US - Japan still running but wont change much '
South Africa, Scotland /Japan / Samoa, USA (no matter how ends game , its final)

C:
New Zeeland, Argentina / Georgia, / Tonga, Namibia

D:
Italy 32- 22 Romania
France 9 - 12 Ireland

Ireland , France / Italy / Romania , Canada

Quarters:
South Africa - Wales
Its hard Wales lost to Ausie,m but won England, S Africa are under criticism and lost some games, but its SA I say Wales can win if they keep 1th 20 minutes SA out of own zone and don't let them do 2-3 tries (but remember about drop goal)

New Zeeland - France
Last final re cap, but who knows, maybe France do it but they seems not in a shape, but you never know, if they do this they be champions, but I say All Blacks

Ireland - Argentina
S Americans is what all wants and get Irish lads... easy walk over, rugby is game where level matters like in old football, so its way abow what Arg can swallow, Guinness , whiskey , they cant handle it they will burn

Australia - Scotland
I see is Ausie walks over, but not so easy , again depends how fast and what points what will get
----

apos;'
[image]
18.10.2015 - 22:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
South Africa 23-19 Wales
What a game, hard, battle, just don't give up, 2 try , 2 drop goals, penaltys and so on just epic classic of rugby when SA in last 3 minutes broke Wales and won. Hands high Wales. Wales has injuryes, half team
New Zeeland 62- 13 France
France only good opponent in group, Ireland, they plaid well up to 60th, last 20 they were so tired. Now seems All Blacks are just from another planet(last WC final it was 6-7), I never have seen so huge result in play offs, 9 trys. France didn't hold at all and last 20min they just were tired, like I don't know and yellow card 10min whit out men, NZ didn't do much but after France collapsed and lost one man because of yellow against NZ is suicide. It was like a example how to give a pass, run , brake defense and basically group stage game not quarter final. France team is not good atm, but still it was to much.

Ireland 21-43 Argentina
I think Ireland didn't underestimated Arg, Arg won because they hold southern tempo and Ireland as hard working machine broke up, well, not really but one penalty and drop goal miss , Arg attacks and so on. Arg fought well and actually Ireland didn't thought, they thought ehh you suck. but they did not. Simply awesome game where Ireland could win, they could but it was not luck, and last 2 try's what Arg got was just grave digger.
Australia 35-34 Scotland
What a game, if rugby god exist he is an Australian. Unbelievable, scots didn't gave up and get some back and even lead, small details, small errors, faults was why Aus won, whit 79min penalty, basically Scotland should hold it when they got try, after ausie pass fault when he stoll ball and run. Drops goals must be used, its also key in play offs to win. Basically classic game, BTW 1th time I saw rain in this WC, what's wrong whit England? 1th time in semis wont be northern hemisphere teams

Semies
South Africa - New Zeeland
It hard to tell, wont be interesting, basically defending game, places, territory, and so on NZ is better atm, but you never know , its just one game and SA can handle it, winners be what better play rugby key tricks, tactics, docs, fisoheralets and so on, small rugby details what only super rugby experts can see
Australia - Argentina
Argentina don't need they already came and done what they came for, nobody expected, so basically they can win this and there are no pressure and in 4 nations cup they already won big fish, SA. Why not do it again, its be hard, but no stress and enjoy the game and ?. Miracles. Ausie are stronger, and it can be NZ vs France to, depends how they start and follow other games? basically its up to them.
----

apos;'
[image]
28.10.2015 - 01:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Semies
S Africa 18-20 New Zeeland
I didn't like game, it was like 80's rugby even slower, not fiscal game, it was like we pussies plaid it when it was to conact, all was slow, weird actually boring game, costs a lot ...I didn't enjoy it
It was 1th test for NZ, because group was group, they run over France... like torado destroys ranches ...so basically Springboks was real test

Argentina 15-29 Australia
When Ausies made few tries I knew they will make it

3th place
S Africa - Argentina
Argengina won in super Rugby, this is not best S Africa and we all know they came for gold, but ... not they best performance even game against All Blacks was equal , but they came for gold ... its Argentina atvantege, they don't need, they are heros . after game aganst Ireland

Final
New Zeeland - Australia
few things will happen
we will have 3 th champin 1th time ever , NZ might eb 1th team what defends title
----

apos;'
[image]
28.10.2015 - 01:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
K7 once again showing he knows shit all about sports. My god what he had to say about the SA - NZ shows that. That wa sone of the best games of tournament easily, and that coming from a non-rugby fan. But I know loooaaaaadddds of Saffers and Kiwis and Aussies and Poms and frogs and etc. and they ALL agreed that was a great match
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.10.2015 - 10:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.10.2015 at 01:48

K7 once again showing he knows shit all about sports. My god what he had to say about the SA - NZ shows that. That wa sone of the best games of tournament easily, and that coming from a non-rugby fan. But I know loooaaaaadddds of Saffers and Kiwis and Aussies and Poms and frogs and etc. and they ALL agreed that was a great match

what is pms and frogs ?
yeh right, it was not to me, it Think it was boring , good was Scotland - Ausie, other quarter matches (even NZ - Fra but way to super easy something like Ger 7-1 Bra in football)
sport fans always says all is good, but in some way you say Greece plays boring when many say in EC they played well against teams and won)
----

apos;'
[image]
31.10.2015 - 20:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Bronze game
S Africa 42-13 Argentina
I saw only 1th early try from Springboks, work duty calling

Final
New Zeeland 34-17 Ausie
Congrats to NZ whit 3th gold and 1th team what defended gold , I didn't saw it because of work, but I didn't expect so big difference, I thought it will one try, drop goal , penalty something difference

I don't think in next WC NZ will win, many players will not play even NZ, Ausie, SA wont need wory about replacements ... and I hope there be another champion, otherwise it will be boring

2019 WC in Japan
so far qualified
Japan, Argentina, New Zeeland, Australia, South Africa, England, France, Georgia, Ireland, Scotland and Wales
No Tonga, Fiji and Samoa, might be hard to qualify regional slots , of course Europe be there but what Romania or Russia, but all night change, because those 3 nations must be there so slots might be changed

No qualification process for the 2019 Rugby World Cup has yet been announced. For previous World Cups, the qualification process has incorporated existing regional competitions including the European Nations Cup, Asian Rugby Championship, Africa Cup and South American Rugby Championship, followed by a repechage process
----

apos;'
[image]
18.11.2015 - 11:12
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
RIP Jonah Lomu.
----
17.03.2016 - 20:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----

apos;'
[image]
21.09.2019 - 14:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
It has started ....
Japan 30-10 Russia.
Russia and Namibia is outsiders. Russian rugby is professional, you get paid for it, Namibia ist amateur level.
Japan has jumped super high when youn in same leuage whit Aus, NZ, SA and Arg.

Australia 39-21 Fiji

France 23-21 Argentina. close game

One of super final, alreday in group stage Australia vs New Zeland , alreday
----

apos;'
[image]
21.09.2019 - 16:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 21.09.2019 at 14:37

Clearly you mean South Africa vs. New Zealand.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.09.2019 - 17:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.09.2019 at 16:53

Written by Bad English on 21.09.2019 at 14:37

Clearly you mean South Africa vs. New Zealand.

Yes my bad,
----

apos;'
[image]
25.09.2019 - 11:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Wow Uruguay 30 27 Fiji, Uruguay rugby is half amator, Argentina is best team from america, play in super rugby, Nat team whit best aus, nz, sa clubs, but this rugby in Fiji is big, same as Tonga,... Suprise
----

apos;'
[image]
13.10.2019 - 21:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Pool A
Suprise, suprise
Japan send home Scotland and wins all games there

1-2 goes to quarter final + next Rugby Wc same as 3th place. It will be 2013 in France
Japan, Ireland / Scotland / samoa , Russia

B NZ, SA / Italy / Namibia, Canada

C
Here suprise is that Argentina is 3th not Tonga, well they are progresing , and no wories Tonga will be in next WC
England , France / Argentina / Tonga / USA

D
Walles, Ausie / Fiji / Georgia, Uruguay

1/4 finals
England - Australia
Its a final scenario, I say Ausie wins whit one try more

NZ - Ireland
Ireland cant win,impossible,

Walles - France
Another well how to say game where slowley France will kill

Japan - SA
Its suprise, but I dont see Japan winning this
----

apos;'
[image]
13.10.2019 - 23:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 13.10.2019 at 21:11

Japan - SA

Japan beat SA four years ago at the WC and nowadays Japan is stronger than four years ago and SA weaker than four years ago and Japan now has home advantage as well.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.10.2019 - 12:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.10.2019 at 23:17

Written by Bad English on 13.10.2019 at 21:11

Japan - SA

Japan beat SA four years ago at the WC and nowadays Japan is stronger than four years ago and SA weaker than four years ago and Japan now has home advantage as well.

Yes but i dont think it will work at home
----

apos;'
[image]
23.10.2019 - 11:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
England 40-16 Australia
I know England can beat them, but whit such result in 2 equal team match, its a bit suprise. I think it was 2003 WC in Ausie when England won and Johnny Wilkinson became a star when NFL wanted him lol
Last final NZ 7-6 France, its more when such teams meat each other.

NZ 46-14 Ireland
Normnal as I thought

Wales 20-19 France
I major big events when Wales won France, its suprise, but somehow no, Wales is not a babies. Things happens

Japan 3-26 SA
Like I told :p Marcel :p

Semies
England - NZ
I think NZ saw what they did, same time England can make it because NZ think we are all blacks and are best.

Wales - SA.
All can happens here, SA is not as they were 10 years ago, but Wales cam be one game wander, can they be 2 games wander?

I wish Wales takes whole thing
----

apos;'
[image]
27.10.2019 - 18:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
England 19-7 NZ
Suprise, or not? In some way yes, but still if all stars shine someone can kick NZ ass and England did it.

Wales 16-19 SA

Final
England - SA
Last final was hard 1 point and all blacks won, SA is not so good these days, England can manage it
----

apos;'
[image]
04.11.2019 - 18:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
3th place does not matter so much
NZ 40-17 wales

Final
Engaldn 12 32 SA
So South Africa has 3thb tittle, 3 has New Zeland as well

Its sad that from big nation France never has got it
----

apos;'
[image]
18.07.2021 - 06:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Next WC in France 2023 will be first major sport event whit full spectators. Same time Samoa did beat Tonga in 2 games aggregate and they got spot in Rugby WC. Tonga has good chances destroy Cook Islands and be there.

S Africa (holders), Argentina, England, France, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Japan, Australia, New Zeland, Fiji , Japan is there.
Chile has good chance go there
Dont care what African team takes last spot via qualifications , same goes to Asia
From Europe 2 spots are open Georgia is IN, so fra Portugal is second. Romania as 3th has play off chance via intercontinental. Russia, Spain, Nederlands are out. Big suprise because Portugal is bad, I thought Russia will take second spot ,,, well.

I can not wait 2023, I have not see Rugby a while. Checked moments between France 30-33 Wallabies (South Africa) . Miss good rugby.
----

apos;'
[image]
10.03.2022 - 16:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
After Russia is banned from all sports Georgia got promoted to Rugby WC. Russia won't get either, but points what all get made Georgia first, Spain, Portugal or Romania take last spot, Holland is out.
----

apos;'
[image]
16.04.2022 - 11:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Super 14 (whit clubs from SA, Ausie and NZ) once became super rugby (SA, Ausie, NZ, Japan, Argentina) . In Corona days it was stopped and also SA once tried get out because of time zones , same in 3 nation cup for national teams, and now its The Rugby Championship whit NZ, SA, Ausie and Argentina.
Super Rugby now has 5 teams from Ausie and NZ 1 from Fiji and from pacific islands.
SA plays in United Rugby Championship ( Ireland (4 teams), Italy (2 teams), Scotland (2 teams), South Africa (4 teams), Wales (4 teams).
IMO it will drop SA level in Rugby, it wont die but still national team can suffer, Europe can not offer such level as NZ and Ausie.

Rugby bosses to consider introducing 20-minute red card in global trial
https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12321/12588428/rugby-bosses-to-consider-introducing-20-minute-red-card-in-global-trial

No comments on that but many big rugby excerpts are against
----

apos;'
[image]
12.05.2022 - 21:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
2027 world cup will happen in Australia, 2031 in a USA.
Ausie hosted once I remember game where England won thanks to Johnny Wilkinson, now again, weird hours, but USA, Canada is better, but it's good marketing tricks, USA has atenas whit 150 000 seats, don't need invest but can they attract the local crowd?
----

apos;'
[image]
15.05.2022 - 10:18
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Bad English on 12.05.2022 at 21:13

2027 world cup will happen in Australia, 2031 in a USA.
Ausie hosted once I remember game where England won thanks to Johnny Wilkinson, now again, weird hours, but USA, Canada is better, but it's good marketing tricks, USA has atenas whit 150 000 seats, don't need invest but can they attract the local crowd?

Don't need local crowds when the tourists will fill the stadiums. Probably still get a lot of yanks going, to see what all the fuss is about.
Wouldn't mind a 20 minute red card, depending on the offence. Something worse then a yellow card, but not worth a red. Would this be called an orange card? Some rugby league commentators have been calling for a 5 minute sinbin for some offences for a few years now.

And wouldn't Georgia have been in the 2023 WC anyway? They've been in each one since 2003.
----